Metagame Sun and Moon LC Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mudsdale and Bewear both seem like final evos to me, and Mimikyu reminds me too much of Ditto for it to have an evo/pre-evo in my mind.

That leaves Comfey, Wimpod, and Bounsweet.

Wimp Out works once, maybe twice if you run Berry Juice, and in bug/water is an average at best typing. Going off design, it looks fairly physically bulky to me, maybe with a decent attack stat. Also I'm getting a bad sense of Shell Armour as it's HA. At least it probably gets Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave so that should be nice.

Discount Cherubi is probably gonna be trash as well. tbh I really cannot bring myself to care about this thing, first SuMo Pokemon I have no feelings about, competitively or design-wise. Imo just gonna be another sub-par chlorophyll user.

Comfey is the only thing here I can imagine being really good. Pure-fairy is great and Priority Synthesis is... just awful to think about. Maybe Spritzee will be replaced as the best Cleric in LC?

Last edited:

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fluffy is a really weird ability that im not sure if it will be that helpful.
This is a fighting-weak mon that essentially isn't weak to any fighting moves besides vacuum wave and aura sphere. Also takes normal damage from most flying-type moves, like acrobatics, brave bird. If given decent defensive stats, it could end up being a good physical wall. still dunno if it's final evo or first evo or what though.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's hard to replace spritzee when it says fuck you to status moves that normally shut down clerics.

That being said if this new mon is faster and retains the bulk and luckily the ha is the same as sortizees I can see it being replaced.

Last edited:
I'll probably still use Spritzee for the most part, as Comfey doesn't seem incredibly likely to have Wish, and a lot of the time I use a cleric like Spritzee because one of my tanks needs wish support.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Wimp Out looks like it's going to act like an eject button, so unless this thing is fast it's going to be a not great ability. Means it's not going to be a setup sweeper either most likely.

Bear's probably going to be single stage, but Fluffy as an ability is incredibly good, since it's basically a better Fur Coat that gives a fire type weakness. If it's got even decent base defense and HP it'll probably be kinda threatening.

Triage is good, although it could end up being even better than it seems depending on the implementation of "highest priority in battle". If it's just +1 priority then it's basically a limited prankster although it's good still. If it's +8 priority (aka goes before switching and mega evolution) then it's great because it essentially means that until it's out of Synthesis PP you cannot kill it without doing over 50% even with priority. Hopefully this thing gets Healing Wish and that counts because that'd be incredible.

Meanwhile Bounsweet's better have some amazing stats or moves, because pure grass with eh at best abilities is pure trash.

In other news Hyper Training does dick-all for LC.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fuck them for not giving vulpix fairy typing

snowshrew is gonna be kinda cool to counter not fire move carrying fletch.

also why is there snow in hawaii

donald trump mon is a prevo so its in lc confirmed

fomantis - solar blade new move? idk probably sucks

Mudbray is the single so thats cool

z moves??? ugg

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
fuck them for not giving vulpix fairy typing

snowshrew is gonna be kinda cool to counter not fire move carrying fletch.

also why is there snow in hawaii

donald trump mon is a prevo so its in lc confirmed

fomantis - solar blade new move? idk probably sucks

Mudbray is the single so thats cool

z moves??? ugg
Ice Vulpix will be cool as hell if it can get Fire-type moves still

Solar Blade looks to be a physical Solar Beam based on move animation

Ban Z Moves

After watching the new trailer and having my mind explode out of my ears, I'm really hyped to see Alolan Sandshrew's effect on LC. It's definitely going to be a very unique kind of rapid spinner. I'm also interested in whether there's an Alolan Exeggcute since we saw the Alolan Exeggutor. Who knows, maybe it'll have Chlorophyll judging by Solar Blade, and maybe it can become the top sun sweeper (sorry Bellsprout).

Last edited:
After watching the new trailer and having my mind explode out of my ears, I'm really hyped to see Alolan Sandshrew's effect on LC. It's definitely going to be a very unique kind of rapid spinner. I'm also interested in whether there's an Alolan Exeggcute since we saw the Alolan Exeggutor. Who knows, maybe it'll have Chlorophyll judging by Solar Blade, and maybe it can become the top sun sweeper (sorry Bellsprout).
^ This vid at around 4:12 pretty much confirms that Exeggcute won't have an Alolan form. :[

I can see right now forme specific suspects honestly. We will see, we don't really know what will come of this, but it will definitely be interested.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The ice vulpix and shrew excite and horrify me.

Firstly our meta is very unkind to ice types already bc of fight types and pawn being everywhere. Not to mention sr is p common.

However Ice steel is interesting as it tells birds no unless they have coverage. Vulpix why didn't you inherit fairytyping mrgrgr

Lastly I doubt they will keep their original moveset so rip fire blast vulpix-a

Z moves no comment

Last edited:
Oh hell yeah.

Z moves won't be broken, it takes up an item slot and you can only use one per battle. Unless they're like 200 power I guess but I reckon 150-180 is closer to the mark.

Mudsbray is adorable and probably pretty powerful.

I hope Formandis doesn't get Chlorophylle, we don't need a physical sun sweeper (assuming it gets Solar Blade.) If it doesn't it'll probably be trash tho which is fine.

Mitior is gonna be LC imo and could potentially suffer from Aegislash syndrome and get banned/be OP. Who knows tho it might be another Solrock/Lunatone and just be forgotten :/

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Depending on mechanics for Z moves (say, Z move is used -> unburden activates) I might either ignore this mechanic outside of Fletchling and potentially some lure Mienfoo set or have a ton of fun with this and Treecko / Purrloin.

@ Ice types being bad in lc,
Ice types are mostly okay in LC honestly. It's generally annoying to switch into them as your options are: Water types, Steels (few and BJ for recovery), and Fire types (SR weak). You can generally use Ice types in LC to wallbreak pretty well for a variety of things (fletch and smashers and treecko!!), but it's something you need to dedicate your team towards.

Pursuit trappers + Scarf Ice mon is also something i've been doing a bunch recently, as Fletch is annoying for Snover, chip damage on stuff like chinchou is cool if you can manage it (knocking it works too). It generally depends on movepools for how ice mons will be. I will probably use Snowshrew + goth once we get the meta to be semi balanced, assuming it has EQ + ice punch + knock off still. Again this depends on mechanics though.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd also like to point out that regular Vulpix only has Drought as its Hidden Ability, which leads me to believe that Snowpix will get Snow Warning at some point. That'll be neat, cause then we'll finally have a fast Hail setter.

if these new forms of Pokemon keep their old movepools they will be really cool! If Snowpix has access to a fast Blizzard, Fire Blast, and Energy Ball it would be very hard to wall and really only fire types could switch in reliably to it. Ice/Ground is perfect coverage so if Snowshrew keeps EQ it could be a Rapid Spinner thats very hard to switch into. The description also makes it seem like Snowshrew moves faster on ice, so maybe its hidden ability will be the long awaited hailrush! Its good defense and access to Swords Dance could make Snowshrew a threatening sweeper and make hail actually good, though this is all speculation. Anyway snowmons are cute!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
One thing that seemed to be implied is that they won't necessarily have the same stats as their standard forms, so it's possible that we'll end up with basically entirely new pokemon. Sandslash and Exeggutor in particular seem to imply this, with being slower and physically stronger respectively.

From the dex entries, I wouldn't be surprised if Alolashrew lost rapid spin, since it can't 'curl into a ball' like normal shrew. Alolapix seems like it'll get Frost Breath at least.

One thing that I'm curious to see is whether or not they'll be the same dex number as their standard forms. If so they'll probably end up with the Rotom forme treatment for species clause, since I can't see them removing the original mons. In terms of design, I'm not really a fan. They're very mono-color, which isn't helped by their eyes being a similar blue to their bodies. The typings are cool, although it seems we're gearing up for another fighting-dominant metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)