Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bright side of this for me is I'll be able to make my triflawless Friend Safari Magmar hex flawless. Shame I traded away so many in-game shinies, but a lot of them had horrible natures anyway.

You know, as cool as all the info we've been getting lately is, I really want confirmed images on the starters' evo lines. There's so much more that we have no clue about.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bewear is probably my favourite of the so-far released mons. Funny looking design, silly english name, and its cry sounds like a fart. I'm definitely searching for one asap in my first playthrough.

Mudsdale is also really cool, and also a godsend for us Battle Spot players since he counters the occasional Swagger + Thunder Wave users, especially Klefki!

I like Comfey as well, even if it literally being a lei is a little on the nose. None of the animations in the trailer showed it letting go of its tail though which I thought it weird. Surely it doesn't hang onto it all the time.

As for Hyper Training, I have to admit I'm one of those dedicated wifi people who's a little butthurt about the change, but if this + thing is actually going to replace the pentagon then we'd need to rebreed our old stuff anyway. And if Hyper Training does simply max out all IVs like it shows with the Pikachu, and they don't change Hidden Power's mechanics, then we'll still need to breed those things flawlessly ourselves, so even just that alone will probably keep the wifi community going. I'd also probably rather breed than power-level up to 100 so I'd probably keep doing it anyway!

I am really excited for those new Pokemon. I think most of them look really cool
I like the idea of intresting abilities and I hope for more Megas. I do not hope for Mega for Pokemon like Salamance because they are strong anyway and do not really need them like corsola

On a different note, is it just me, or do these games look better than XY and ORAS? I don't mean better as in they look like they'll be better games, but as in they literally look better. The graphics and everything just seem more polished, and I remember seeing people on Tumblr saying that there are no more cramped overworld sprites. What do you guys think?

On a different note, is it just me, or do these games look better than XY and ORAS? I don't mean better as in they look like they'll be better games, but as in they literally look better. The graphics and everything just seem more polished, and I remember seeing people on Tumblr saying that there are no more cramped overworld sprites. What do you guys think?
The overworld at least looks so much better; the landscapes in particular feeling more natural rather than made up of tiles on a grid.

The overworld at least looks so much better; the landscapes in particular feeling more natural rather than made up of tiles on a grid.
Definitely. And more detailed, as well.
The more varied camera angles help show off the world much better, plus the landscapes we've seen seem to be more visually interesting than Kalos'.
Agreed. Hawaii really was a great choice for region inspiration. Not to say that France isn't lovely, but the colors and flora and such just seem so much more lively and vivid.

Last edited:
you can't trade items, right? I'd hold onto your pokemiles or whatever
Do not do that. The PGL made an announcement not too long ago and there it states that Poke Miles acquired in ORAS or XY cannot be transfered to Sun and Moon, which makes me think that they might be scrapping the whole Mileage Club. I can't think of any other logical reason why you wouldn't be able to carry over poke miles from gen6 to gen7 if they had decided to keep that feature. And considering that Ability Capsules are finally gonna be up for sale + everything will be 50% off, racking up Poke Miles don't seem like a good idea since they're blatantly encouraging you to spend everything you've got before is too late.

Link to the Official PGL page

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wait a second... I think the presence of Hyper Training has a secondary implication as well:

Most of the previous generations have content for Pokémon up to level 70-80 or thereabout. For in-game purposes, there are very, very few reasons to train a Pokémon all the way to level 100 (those very, very few reasons being that some legendaries have level-up moves at level 100). In-game opponents therefore cap out at level 60-65, maybe a few daily trainers have 'mons at levels above 70, and some very, very powerful challenge trainers cross the 80 mark. With no reason to level up something to level 100, there's no efficient way to do it either. You may go to '100 if you want, but the road is long and there's little to gather at its end.

With Hyper Training, though, the games give an explicit reason for you to level up a Pokémon that far. It encourages trainers to walk the distance, and therefore it might provide a convenient way to do so as well. True, it's been a while since the games became an epic grind-fest from level 60 onwards or so (GSC and RSE, anyone?), but even in XY it takes a while to get to level 100. SuMo might raise the level bar again to avoid excessive grinding. Perhaps Game Freak even caves and gives us in-game opponents with 'mons at level 100, or at least above the 90 mark. I definitely wouldn't mind battles which give my top trained 'mons a bit of a challenge.

Another thing is the definite admission to everybody that IVs do exist, that some IVs combinations are plainly better than others, and that you're ideally looking for 31 across the board as a rule of thumb (Trick Room and such nonwithstanding). They have had fixed-IV giveaways of Pokémons in generations past already (the Ralts traded to you from Diantha in XY, for instance), so there's a possibility they'll just peg some giveaways 'mons and legendaries to 6x31 IVs already. Hyper Training is a measure to combat excessive grinding, re-setting and hours of discarding Pokémon in the hunt for something optimal. Might as well make the new shortcut as short as possible.

Lastly, if my Bottle Caps theory is correct - that there are different kinds of Bottle Caps with different degrees of usefulness - we might look forward to find a lot more stuff in trash cans, which I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person obsessively checking every time I find a new one. Even if it's nothing more than the Hyper Training equivalent of a Clever Wing, I'd be glad to see anything else than "the trash can is empty" in 95 % of all cases.

With no reason to level up something to level 100, there's no efficient way to do it either. You may go to '100 if you want, but the road is long and there's little to gather at its end.
My interpretation is that this feature is supposed to be grind-tastic if you want to hyper train a freshly hatched level 1 over the course of a single long gaming session. This will be, as you say, a long road with little to gather at its end. However, for a more casual player who is putting in 1 hour sessions every day and wants to hyper-train their story-mode team that's already in the high 70's or low 80's... going from level 80->100 by doing the daily challenges takes relatively little play-time.

That said, I would love for you to be right about this since more higher-level NPC battles would be awesome. The level 100 requirement certainly is peculiar, and there must be a very specific reason for it.

For those who think they can circumvent bottle caps being rare with Powersaves; friendly reminder that while that's true, why wouldn't you just use the powersaves to directly edit your Pokémon's IVs at that point?
because using PS to edit your pokemon directly is altering the data of the pokemon itself aka hacking. Multiplying rare candies, BP or caps does not alter the legality of any pokemon. Think of it as cloning items (btw cloning is "kosher" on wifi smogon and GAs for VGC are esentially all clones)

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Even throwing out the possibility that Secret Bases may come back, I actually found training at Cafe Le Wow in Pokemon X to be not too bad for grinding. Pokemon Sun and Moon seem to be taking steps forward in almost every aspect we've seen so far (and honestly Hyper Training itself is a big step forward), so I could totally see Gamefreak putting easy grind spots in post game!

Also this talk reminded me, I forgot that I caught a shiny Impish Giratina 8 years ago while soft reseting for a good Giratina (yes I tried that back before I joined Smogon, it was pure evil!). That might be nice if a tournament comes up where its useful :D

Even throwing out the possibility that Secret Bases may come back, I actually found training at Cafe Le Wow in Pokemon X to be not too bad for grinding. Pokemon Sun and Moon seem to be taking steps forward in almost every aspect we've seen so far (and honestly Hyper Training itself is a big step forward), so I could totally see Gamefreak putting easy grind spots in post game!

Also this talk reminded me, I forgot that I caught a shiny Impish Giratina 8 years ago while soft reseting for a good Giratina (yes I tried that back before I joined Smogon, it was pure evil!). That might be nice if a tournament comes up where its useful :D
And I still have a Modest one in SoulSilver. I might need to trade it up...

I wouldn't be that surprised if Secret Bases came back, at least in the vein of G4 ones. If GameFreak is going to do remakes, DP is next up. It might depend on how well the non-veteran fanbase took to bases in ORAS, though (i.e. it would have to be on the level of outfit customization).

Meanwhile, I'm just worried I'll be paralyzed with indecision with all the new critters coming in. It's already bad enough that I'm pinned at three creatures for trying to design a team. If I'm stuck for hours total with that, how much worse will it get with even more pokemon demanding scrutiny?

because using PS to edit your pokemon directly is altering the data of the pokemon itself aka hacking. Multiplying rare candies, BP or caps does not alter the legality of any pokemon. Think of it as cloning items (btw cloning is "kosher" on wifi smogon and GAs for VGC are esentially all clones)
As covered already, it doesn't really alter the reality as far as anyone who cares is concerned. Unless something in Sun/Moon changes detection for that - and I don't see any way they could possibly do that - then there is no difference and one is easier than the other, the only thing holding you back being if hacking for Bottle Caps feels slightly easier on your conscience.

I realized today that there's another great perk to hyper training. Your in-game team can now be competitively viable (assuming you get the right nature, ability, and don't need any egg moves, etc.). That pokemon you caught early in the game and bonded with can now be used to battle online or compete in tournaments thanks to the miracle of bottle caps. It's a shame that starters only come in Pokeballs and have relatively useless non-HA. If there was a way to remedy that, I would definitely put in the effort to hyper train my starter.

I realized today that there's another great perk to hyper training. Your in-game team can now be competitively viable (assuming you get the right nature, ability, and don't need any egg moves, etc.). That pokemon you caught early in the game and bonded with can now be used to battle online or compete in tournaments thanks to the miracle of bottle caps. It's a shame that starters only come in Pokeballs and have relatively useless non-HA. If there was a way to remedy that, I would definitely put in the effort to hyper train my starter.
Some starters don't get the most useful abilities or either can be useful. Look at Infernape, for example. Both Blaze and Iron Fist are listed on Smogon's suggestions.

Not to bring up Pokémon news that has little relation to the core series, but the Detective Pikachu is getting a live-action movie in 2017. At least it will feel more like an original story, rather than a movie based on the games. I think that's what the Detective Pikachu was intended for anyway.

Also, I wonder how the Virtual Console versions of RBY will have compatibility with Sun-Moon. Do Game Freak still have plans for that?

Not to bring up Pokémon news that has little relation to the core series, but the Detective Pikachu is getting a live-action movie in 2017. At least it will feel more like an original story, rather than a movie based on the games. I think that's what the Detective Pikachu was intended for anyway.

Also, I wonder how the Virtual Console versions of RBY will have compatibility with Sun-Moon. Do Game Freak still have plans for that?
Yeah, that was brought up in the Detective Pikachu thread.

They're gonna try to do it through Pokemon Bank. Though, the differences between gen 1 and gen 7 are pretty big (such as the lack of natures in gen 1, lack of genders, etc.) So idk how gen 1 pokemon are gonna translate into SM.

They're gonna try to do it through Pokemon Bank. Though, the differences between gen 1 and gen 7 are pretty big (such as the lack of natures in gen 1, lack of genders, etc.) So idk how gen 1 pokemon are gonna translate into SM.
Lack of genders happened from Gen I to II, and it was based on the attack IV. Maybe it'll follow something similar.

Maybe Hyper Training is a way to mitigate some of the issues that may arise due to transferring? Nature and IVs are probably randomly generated. Maybe there's a way to influence nature via hyper training as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)