Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

I'm most excited about the Zenyatta buff. Quit playing him prior to the widow's body shot nerf. Can't wait to play him again.
Can't wait to play him as well. I have a really cool legendary skin for him, and I could not use him because he was the worst hero in the entire game prior to the buff.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I actually couldn't believe that Dva would turn out decent with just a simple change (besides the buff to her ult) to her E to make her able to toggle it on or off.. but honestly it's so huge lol. it allows her to block certain projectiles and then continue approaching/shooting, this is almost like rein's shield in a sense, except not as broad, but arguably better since it charges more quickly?

honestly all the buffs are REALLY good and i'm very excited to see them in action in all servers rather than having to play with 300-400 ping cuz PTR is only on US lol. the mccree buff especially is very intriguing. only thing I don't like is pharah is probably way less viable with the mccree buff and ana's introduction ;_;

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Introducing the 1 hero limit to ranked has increased my QoL on overwatch so much lol. it's actually so much better now. it's especially good if you can use more than a few heroes.

good thing i forced myself to get good with more than just pharah and mercy :^)

biggest problem rn with comp is that every team in the 45-55 range seens to have an Ana who doesnt know what theyre doing :(

biggest problem rn with comp is that every team in the 45-55 range seens to have an Ana who doesnt know what theyre doing :(
Welcome to any competitive team game that adds characters over time. I don't think it's just that range of players.

Haven't gotten to play McCree yet but I can't understand the change to him...anyone who is decent at hitscan just 2shots any offense class. He needed a buff, but this wasn't the way to do it. Worst part about all this is that I wrote an article on Pharah but McCree might just make her useless in this meta.

aVocado

@ Everstone
Welcome to any competitive team game that adds characters over time. I don't think it's just that range of players.

Haven't gotten to play McCree yet but I can't understand the change to him...anyone who is decent at hitscan just 2shots any offense class. He needed a buff, but this wasn't the way to do it. Worst part about all this is that I wrote an article on Pharah but McCree might just make her useless in this meta.
what do you mean? the point is that at mid/long range he /can't/ two shot anything, now he can

the reduction on fall off damage is honestly insane, you should try him asap. i'm not used to shooting from a distance and actually getting kills for it lol. you can even headshot + body shot lousy widows from decent distance and they'll die.

for example/perspective i 2 shot a widow in gibraltor who was on the far end big bridge, shooting her from the small stairs next to the small health pack

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh lol the McCree buff is pretty insane personally. I felt guilty playing him on PTR. It got me so many kills I felt I shouldn't have. S76 fighting me from some distance? Oh sorry I two shot you :| Pharah being annoyingly floaty and random? Triple bodyshotted. Roadhog? Free headshot farm. It's pretty ridiculous like an insanely powerful Ambassador from TF2 lol.

Oh I love the Zenyatta buff. Now there's a viable full time support carry to play in comp now. Previously you insta died to Genji/Tracer even if you had perfect accuracy. Now you can double headshot or headshot kick Tracer without insta dying. Also I always preferred Transcendence over Rez because Trans is a prevention ult while Rez is a reaction ult. I'd rather not have my teammates die than having to almost trade my life for theirs. Of course there's no stopping High Noon and what not instant burst damage ults though. Oh and gotta go fast with Trans is amazing haha.

Does anyone else feel that the self healing contributing to ult charge is a buff? I find myself getting ults faster in PTR as S76 and Lucio. Mercy didn't really feel that much of a difference for me even though it's a 30% increase. You'll still have Rez up for every single team fight if your team knows to rotate heals. Just means that it's not as disposable now I guess.

Quite like this update except screw McCree thoughhhhh that rangeee.

what do you mean? the point is that at mid/long range he /can't/ two shot anything, now he can

the reduction on fall off damage is honestly insane, you should try him asap. i'm not used to shooting from a distance and actually getting kills for it lol. you can even headshot + body shot lousy widows from decent distance and they'll die.

for example/perspective i 2 shot a widow in gibraltor who was on the far end big bridge, shooting her from the small stairs next to the small health pack
I know. He's broken now, I said the same thing you said.

mccree might be broken now but he's so fun holy shit

i think the falloff range should be somewhere in between this patch and the last, or they should slightly nerf his max damage. I think fan's rng cone could do to be tightened a bit though, and maybe tone down the screen shake.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Mccree just wanted his throne back.

Also pretty happy I was able to hit rank 60 mostly playing tanks with some tracer mixed in. I started off the season maining support but you can only do so much at lower ranks. I think il try being a support main again if I can get in the 62+ range

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If anyone cares to read, I've wrote quite a lengthy post on why I think the rating system is hugely flawed. I think I've made points that I haven't heard from other people in the community yet, and I'd love to hear your opinions. Keep in mind that these ideas are based on solo queue or with a few friends, not a 6 man team.
Why the ranking system is flawed.

I just wanna start off by saying that I love the idea of rankings in Overwatch, and I'm really glad Blizzard has tried to create a system to show off the best players, and even for average players to see how they match up. It really encourages communication and team work (in theory), and it creates friendly rivalry and competition with players and their friends.

However, the system as it stands is HUGELY flawed. There are many reasons for this, but the first thing I want to point out is that YOUR SKILL RATING DOES NOT MATTER. If you're part of the majority of players who aren't insanely good at this game, but play decent to a level, then your rating means NOTHING. Now the reason for this is because regardless of how well you play in a single game, if your team doesn't win, your rating goes down. Period. No matter how many kills you get, objective time you have, or healing you've done, if you lose, you go down.

Now, you may be thinking "if I play well I'll just naturally win more games and my skill rating will go up". The unfortunate part is that you can lose for a number of reasons that you have NO control over. Even if you get career bests in Kills, Objective time, etc, if someone leaves on your team, you've lost. If you're trying to communicate with your team and they just aren't listening, you've lost. Or maybe you're trying to tell someone that maybe Mei and Symertra on attack isn't the best idea. If they don't switch? You've lost.

Now, how do we fix this issue? It makes no sense for your rating to go down if you play really really well in a game. How does it make sense that I'm now LESS skilled if I get the highest eliminations I've ever got? This is why you can't base skill ratings on whether you win or lose, because frankly its out of your control for the most part. I'm fine with it playing a factor in how much my skill rating goes up or down, but everything hinges on whether you win or lose.

So what should your rating be based on? A very simple solution is to base your rating on what the average is on that particular hero on that particular map. Take for example a player rated 50 playing Solider 76 on King's Row Attack. Lets say for arguments sake that the average for Solider 76 on this map at this rating is 20 eliminations, 2000 Healing, and 1min objective time. Unfortunately Solider 76 loses, however it was a very close game and he got 30 eliminations, he healed for 2000, and had 1min objective time. For his rating, he played very well, so his rating should go up, even though he lost. He's playing at a higher skill cap than that of what is average on this map.

Now there are some definite flaws in this new rating system, because averages can be bias towards how long the games is actually played. For instance a Lucio on Nepal is going to get far higher stats if there's 5 rounds compared to another Lucio player who only plays 3 rounds, which again isn't really in your control, so averages should take this into account. Maybe just count the averages for how far a team gets on a certain map. Take King's row attack again for instance. If they don't capture the first point, lets say the average is now 7 eliminations. If the player reaches above average, then that player should move up in rating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another big flaw with the competitive scene is Leavers. Now Blizzard have of course stated that they are going to punish constant leavers, which is very very fair. However, when a player leaves a game, regardless whether they disconnected, or just rage quit, if they don't re connect, that team has lost. What I think would make sense for Blizzard to implement would be an option for players to join competitive games mid way through if someone has left. That would at least give players a reason to not give up this game, because they can still win this game.

Now you may be thinking "I don't want to join competitive games mid way through, why would anyone want to do that? Chances are you're joining a losing team and you're rating is going to go down". The first thing to point out is this should be an OPTION for players. If you don't want to join a game mid way through that's fine, you won't. Just tick that little box and you won't join games mid way through, nothing changes. Well that's fine and all now there's an option for players to join, but why would they? There's no incentive for players to join a game mid through, which is why players should be REWARDED for joining a game mid way through. Think about it, you're helping a losing team, and you're making the game more fair and enjoyable for everyone. As far as rewards go that's easy, just give players more EXP, loot boxes, or other benefits to joining games.

Just some ideas I had about ranking up in Overwatch.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea the rating system isn't really ideal right now. It's okay but definitely far from being the best that it can and should be. I hope in Season 2 they actually alter the way rating is calculated and not just remove sudden death and call it day. Having stats affect your rating is really nonsensical. There is no single metric that can properly define how well you did in the game. Damage, Elims, Healing, what not, aren't even accurate in the slightest when it comes to determine who performed well. You can be top damage and did nothing but feed Zarya shields. You can be top elims by grazing people with low damage. You can be top healing because, well, you played Lucio? Stats can be inflated wrongly and stats can underestimate player skill. Healers can heal very little if it was a steamroll. DPS heroes can do very little damage in the same case as well. Better players tend to have better stats, but good stats doesn't mean that a player is good. Just base it on W/L simple as that. Imo trying to come up with a way to calculate how much a player contributed is counter intuitive and it will never be perfect or close to perfect if based on stats.

Oh yea the leaver problem should be properly and better addressed too. Pretty much lost games thanks to leavers, and I even had leavers when we were clearly winning as well? lol. The way that leavers affect rating need some tweaking. The winning team should win the same despite leavers regardless of team. If the losing team has the leavers, I don't think the losing teams should lose as much of a rating either... But if the leaver is part of a party, the party should bear the full loss. It's not fair for the losing team to lose even more if someone decides to rage quit. It's very common for the seemingly losing team to make a comeback, and leavers outright deny the opportunity to do so.

I like the ability to optionally backfill once the leaver is gone persistently. The back fill should be rewarded with no rank loss or change to w/l stat, but should still be able to gain rank if the back fill actually wins. The XP bonus is nice as well. I wouldn't mind doing back fills if it meant there's no negatives to it. Comp is more fun than quick play when it comes to game play I guess. It would be pretty chill to be able to help people out if they got disadvantaged.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just agree with your whole text, so I won't add anything.
McCree buff is kinda insane, but so is dva's, who seems able to throw ults here and there and kill several times in the map.
I hate people using Ana. I got a match in which the guy did 400 healing because he was attacking! Afterwards I got 4600 healing with Ana on a worse map for her...
People in quick matches doesn't seem to understand that we need to use a tank on the team. And I'm playing support.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I felt like a god yesterday playing DVA. She was always one of my favourite characters but I used to hold onto my Defence Matrix too much. Now I can use it when/if I need too and not waste it in a sense. Already done some cool blocking on a Hanzo that was peppering arrows (DM was up/down/up/down) and completely stopped him from hitting my team. She genuinely feels like a decent pick now vs Rein... I just wish she did a teeny bit more damage at close/medium range than what she does... I don't believe the 170+DPS that she supposedly has, cause I never feel like I melt anything at close range apart from Torb turrets/Reinhardts.

I quite like all the changes so far. I haven't played vs a good McCree yet, but I am kinda scared too (my offence of choice is Pharah) and it sounds like the distance buff he got is going to nuke Pharah usage again.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Ranking system is fine other than sudden death and not having stop watch. Your play with heroes is based on the average of people of your rating anyways and is a pretty good measure of calculating rating outside w/l.

I ended placements at 52, dropped to 48 and then switch up my game to more carry oriented and went up to 60. You aren't gonna win every game and I have had my fair share of leavers when we were actually winning. It sucks but it happens to everyone. Just focus on your game and don't blame the system. If you deserve a higher skill rating you will get it eventually grinding it out

if you based ranking on eliminations and shit it would be worse. high level matches are only decided by a couple team fights lol

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
In that regard, Mei never gets potg / many medals but she is often key in winning matches with its crowd control and defensive capabilities...

aVocado

@ Everstone
Ranking system is fine other than sudden death and not having stop watch. Your play with heroes is based on the average of people of your rating anyways and is a pretty good measure of calculating rating outside w/l.

I ended placements at 52, dropped to 48 and then switch up my game to more carry oriented and went up to 60. You aren't gonna win every game and I have had my fair share of leavers when we were actually winning. It sucks but it happens to everyone. Just focus on your game and don't blame the system. If you deserve a higher skill rating you will get it eventually grinding it out
what heroes did you use to carry?

i've been trying to religiously master genji just to try and carry lol, did it a few times in qp but it's only that, qp..

I did use him a couple times in comp and I feel like I did pretty good, not carry-levels of good but good enough to be contributing in a big way to the team, killing their support on sight and getting a couple kills each time with every ult, etc, general genji stuff

aVocado

@ Everstone
nice :D that pharah skin is best imo

also HOLY SHIT I just got a team kill with genji's ult LOL. i can't believe I ever said that genji was underpowered way back, like day 1. his ult is fucking bonkers lmao

Joim

Pixels matter
I'm so fucking mad at Ana every damn match and NO ONE knows how to use her AT ALL. I keep losing because if I switch to heal, there's not enough power, then if I heal or tank, no one else tank/heals. Bullshit week, really.

Is it just your Anas playing poorly or do your opponents have bad Anas too?

How are people supposed to learn a new character if they don't get a chance to play with her in a serious environment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)