Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. The point isn't about how that particular time is spent; it's about whether the overall game (obviously this one particular thing on its own won't make or break this) seems to you to be worth investing time in at all. The easier it gets, the simpler it gets, the closer it gets to having a built in cheat-code-generator, etc., the more likely it's not going to seem worth the investment. The specific change allowing you to get perfect breeding results more easily may on its own make the game better for you while also contributing to a broader effect that ultimately makes you not care about the game anymore.
Thing is, by your logic, it wouldn't be worth investing in playing on simulators, since you can literally generate any Pokemon that is legal in game (and, for certain metagames, even ones that aren't) and play with it after only a few minutes of investment. If only teambuilding investment were more about planning your teams and battling investment were more about deciding how to use your teams... oh wait. I have never made a competitive team on cartridge because the time investment barrier has just been too ridiculous; I could live without ever battling competitively because battling isn't enough fun to justify the tedium in between (I can't imagine how infuriating it would be to decide that, actually, HP Grass is better on this Pokemon than HP Ice is... guess I need to go breed/soft reset from scratch rather than just opening up team builder and changing a single move). If people can be invested in simulator battling (and, evidence would suggest that they can be), then it doesn't matter how simple they make breeding and raising Pokemon in game, people will still be invested.

I honestly only IV breed because I'm a OCD perfectionist who believes it's better to have and not need it than need but not have it, and don't want to loose a battle because I didn't cause just that little bit of damage, wasn't able to withstand a certain attack, or outspend by opponent.

The ironic thing is I spend way more time breeding than battling!
The hilarious part is that I'm a guy who sat and breed for 2 months for a Pikachu, but at this point I think my battling type in XY and ORAS pretty much triples my breeding time, I mean seriously... Just by typing Smogon OU only in the shot out I have gotten 35 battles in one day average as a slow day hits 8 an afternoon at its worst, all of decent quality.

My record is 150 in a weekend while testing a BP team with a literally Satan gothitelle, 136 wins out of 148 games 2 DCS from my side due to an Internet failure.

Breeding 12 boxes of competitive ready mons has left me with loads of stuff to do and team build around XD

This is on cartridge, I'm not counting time spent laddering...

Except it's the exact opposite. The whole point of the game is collecting and battling. Not breeding.

That's not investing time. That's wasting it.

Looking for the right IV spread is, for all ends and purposes, essentially farming. And that's not a good thing in any game (If not kept in check, like it was before Gen VI).
The whole point of the game for you. For some, there are way more points in a game. Some people prefer contests, some like to shiny hunt/breed and others prefer other things. I love to farm berries and to breed, and even though for some it's a burden, I willingly spend more time breeding than battling.

The whole point of the game for you. For some, there are way more points in a game. Some people prefer contests, some like to shiny hunt/breed and others prefer other things. I love to farm berries and to breed, and even though for some it's a burden, I willingly spend more time breeding than battling.
Good thing is now game will cater to both. Breeding will still probably be a necessary, there is a pretty good chance that bottle caps aren't going to be something you can just gather hundreds of in no time. So at best hyper training is going to be used to patch up deficiencies in already near perfect pokemon, it's just now a means of getting those base parents with good iv's is less RNG dependent and less inbreeding to get those deficiencies in unimportant stats.

Last edited:
I never though cycling and flying between three goddamm locations in the post game only in the name of breeding counted as post game. X/Y was bad in terms of post-game content and ORAS was certainly crying out for the Battle Frontier.

Quite frankly, i like this hyper training system. It reduces the barrier between the causal and the competitive player, we can finally stop pretending that competitive players at the VGC events aren't playing hacked, but legal mons and the level 100 provides incentive for the committed player to go to the max.

If the Bottle Cap is a BP item ala the Ability Capsule and they stick a juicy Battle Frontier at the end, it will be all gucci.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Wouldn't be hard to mass-clone the bottle caps, as I said in the thread before. Between homebrew methods and powersaves, I don't give SuMo very long after release before people mass-duplicate them, and the WiFi sub-forum is taken over by bottle cap requests instead of trading for bred/RNG'd Pokemon.

Breeding still will be necessary for egg moves and such, and most likely for HP/TR spreads since I doubt we'll be able to lower IVs

I don't see why the IV change has sparked so much. It's just a more efficient way of doing something pointlessly tedious that takes too much time for many. For me, IV breeding is the reason I quit cartridge battling for the most part.

Hyper training is just a convenient method that will still take hours (albeit extremely less than breeding) since the majority of the time you'll need to raise a Pokemon from level 1 to 100 (egg moves, nature). If you think it devalues breeding, don't use it. If you like it, use it. It's not rocket science, it just makes cartridge battling not a complete frustration.

Hell, despite that this is the ever-competitive Smogon, it's easy to forget that a huge amount of players probably don't know what IVs even ARE. Only once I came into the competitive scene did I even learn up on it. The whole thing is just a favor to competitive players - most of whom aren't thinking "this feels like a cheat code" but "sweet! Now I can actually use my teams without pumping 30 hours into breeding them into existence." Never mind Legendary/Event SR'ing.

tl;dr
Hyper Training is not a big deal unless you're a competitive player; and if you're adverse, don't use it. And can we please quit pretending it impacts the structure of the Pokemon universe's reality? It's a tiny detail even GameFreak probably doesn't seek to justify. believe it or not, the games aren't centered around realism!

Sounds like the old problem of game designers not being as adept at their games as the players (I think similar situations exist with Magic: The Gathering and Puzzle & Dragons?).

That said, I'm also reminded of the oddity with Galvantula--far better special attack than physical, but most of the attacks it gets by level-up and breeding are physical. I realize their main concern with move allocation is Vorthos-type (i.e. would it make logical sense for this kind of creature to attack this way, or not?), rather than Spike (what would be most powerful given the stat allocation, typing, and abilities?), but you'd think they'd notice which way Galvantula's movepool was tending.
Wizards has hired quite a few top players so i don't think it's as common with them anymore. Having people that devoted enough time to be considered Pro on your staff or at least do consulting work can help a lot with that, but even then some things will slip by.

Granted, Nintendo cares more about VGC from a competitive stand-point, so I think if they did go that route then some stuff would still get by them. (i.e. Mega Rayquaza is less than stellar in VGC2016, despite the fact that it is godly enough in Singles to have had an entire tier made so it could be banned. Greninja is less awesome in doubles compared to singles while Cresselia is a god in doubles, but meh in singles, ect.)

Edit:
Serebii Update: New Pokémon Sun & Moon information to come on August 1st at 22:00 JST

Here we go again! kkkkk
And the hype train keeps on a'rollin'

The news will either showcase more new Pokemon, more on the "super moves" or possibly a gym leader or mega Pokemon.
Hopefully Gym Leader / Mega due to the fact we haven't gotten any of those yet, however at this rate it'll probably be more Pokemon because so many are being shown. As for Super Moves, I do hope for some information on them, I don't want my anxiety over this mechanic to keep going please don't break everything super moves

I understand that people like to discover new 'mons in-game, but personally I don't really care if the spoil up most of the pokédex before the actual release. I'm too curious and being european I would look at it before I could actually get the games anyway. Of course I'd like some surprises, especially speaking about evolutions and very good pokémons in general, but until now I feel that we had new "generalist" 'mons except for Tapu Koko (and of course legendaries and starters). What I don't like is spoiling the story, but they generally don't do that.

I understand that people like to discover new 'mons in-game, but personally I don't really care if the spoil up most of the pokédex before the actual release. I'm too curious and being european I would look at it before I could actually get the games anyway. Of course I'd like some surprises, especially speaking about evolutions and very good pokémons in general, but until now I feel that we had new "generalist" 'mons except for Tapu Koko (and of course legendaries and starters). What I don't like is spoiling the story, but they generally don't do that.
I sort of agree with this. While I generally don't mind if they show a high amount, I feel like they've shown to much at this point. Gen VI had around 70ish Pokemon. I count 29 Pokemon revealed including Zygarde formes. We have about 4 months to release. If they keep going at this rate it wouldn't be absurd to assume they would drain most of the Rotom-Dex in reveals. I do like surprises.

Not surprised to see this coming from a guy that was WiFi blacklisted and then subsequently banned from Smogon. Nice alt tho
It is better than wasting time by breeding. In my opinion competitive Pokemon is about becoming good in a certain Metagame. But if you put so much time into breeding or softresetting then you will never get good. Since you would not find enough time for battling. That is what I say about that and also I do not feel guilty in anyway cause I use used hacked Pokemon for breeding. Get a life don't breed.

Last edited:
...You do realize that the primary audience for the game is children, right? They're not necessarily going to have the time to invest, especially in something as intrinsically chance-oriented as breeding for target IVs. Is it right to exclude them from competitive just because they have other time obligations? Answer: no. This also applies to adults with other time responsibilities (e.g. raising a family).

I also question whether anything should require, directly or implicitly, such immense time investment in the first place. That verges close to addiction, in my eyes.
to be exact, the IV breeding system is pretty much this.

I think some people are overlooking the fact that there is no universal 'method' of enjoying Pokemon. I, for one, actually find going through the breeding process from start to finish quite relaxing. Being able to then use the final 'product' (excuse the term) in competitive battles is all the more rewarding for me personally.

Conversely, other players would rather do anything else except breeding, and that's fine. We all get different levels of satisfaction from different facets of the games. So I think we'd all appreciate not being told how we should invest our time into playing Pokemon. /endrant

So what do you guys think the August news feature will be about? XY used it to reveal mega evolution, a brand new mechanic. I could see SuMo following suit and revealing the supercharged moves.

So what do you guys think the August news feature will be about? XY used it to reveal mega evolution, a brand new mechanic. I could see SuMo following suit and revealing the supercharged moves.
Most likely this or more Pokemon due to the sheer amount we've seen. I'm hoping for some Megas / Gym Leaders though so people can stop going on about scrapping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)