ORAS OU RMT - Diancie-Magnezone-Dragonite Core

So, I was recently getting back into Showdown after a long while of dormancy and wanted to make a team based on the great core created by Dragonite and Magnezone. I am around 1200-1300 ELO, and I'm having a bit of trouble and think that my sets could be improved to fit with the core that I'm going with. I'm also unsure about Heatran, as it doesn't seem to serve a very specific purpose that I can see in most battles. So, with the aim of improving the team; here is my team building process and team.

Teambuilding
I chose Dragonite and Magnezone first, and ran with a DD + Roost set for Dragonite and a Specs set for Magnezone. I feel as if that the weakness of both Pokémon were mitigated by each other.
A logical addition was Mega-Diancie. It not only had useful coverage, but a hugely helpful ability in Magic-Bounce - helping to ensure that Multiscale wasn't broken by Stealth Rock. From this point, I added Latios to the team, as its ability to Defog was important - its coverage moves are useful, especially Draco Meteor. To round out the team, I opted for Heatran and Landorus-T. Heatran is synergetic with Dragonite and the weakness of the other is mitigated. It also provided a Stealth Rock candidate that could also appropriately wall some of the threats to the team. However, it does share a common weakness to Ground with Diancie and Magnezone, which have made Ground types unnecessarily good against my team.
Landorus-T replaced a Keldeo that I had for a short time, which I decided to run in a Scarf revenge killer build.

The Team's Sets

Yellow Barney (Dragonite) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Dragonite's item has been quite tough for me to decide either way, sometimes the Lum Berry comes in handy, although the ability of Leftovers to restore Multiscale passively would sometimes be useful. Although, the Lum Berry has been overall very useful in avoiding having Dragonite rendered useless to Paralysis and Burn many times. Multiscale allows Dragonite to set up Dragon Dance very easily. The coverage so far is being fairly useful, although you are forced to hit Fairies with non-STAB Earthquake, which is not ideal.

Etoile (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 1 Atk / 30 Def
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

I was initially running HP Fire, but I wasn't using it, so I replaced it with HP Ice which threatens Landorus-T, a specific threat to my time. Magnezone also carries HP Fire, so together they work well. Draco Meteor hits most non-resists like a truck, although Psyshock can occasionally be useful against threats like Mega-Heracross. Defog is the main utility of Latios, removing Rocks when they have been able to get through Diancie. I ensure a speed tie with the 110 Speed tier and can outspeed most Latis who drop a Speed IV to get HP Fire.

Magneto (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

I really love Magnezone. Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor are all effectively neutered by the Magnet Pull ability. Volt Switch enables a good level of momentum, Thunderbolt is more reliable if their is no need to switch out and Flash Cannon is useful Fairy-coverage. The Choice Specs are a strong item and so far have had no noticeable drawbacks. I question though whether a speedier Scarf set would better enable me to handle faster Fairy and Water types.

Hi Bye (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I know this is a super Cookie-cutter set, but its very, very reliable. I've used many permutations of Landorus-T and have concluded that this fits my team well. My team can tend to be slow and weep at the sight of a +1 DD Mega-Charizard X. Landorus-T strongly mitigates these weaknesses.

Cookie (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

I'm very unsure about Heatran and I don't really feel as if it adds a lot to my team, other than Stealth Rock. I would be willing to remove Protect from Diancie and put its 4th move as Stealth Rock because I think this slot needs some sort of revamp. I'm happy to be offered some suggestions!

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Diancie is amazing, its coverage is incredibly synergetic with my team and is great at keeping Hazards off my end of the field. It forms a great core with Dragonite and Magnezone and I feel content with it. Although SR could be put in the place of Protect.

Hoping to get some really helpful feedback. Thanks for any time spent rating and giving feedback, in advance!

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
cool cool team. haven't seen a dnite in use for a very long while and i must say that despite your team being very interesting, i can see some very obvious flaws. your team is very outright ice weak as well as it being rly weak to bulky waters. not only that, but your wincon is one that needs a lot of support to win and it's always safer to have more solid things to back up that type of wincon. nonetheless, mdiancie + zone + dddnite is a very good core if well played and i hope to be able to provide you some nice suggestions to help you with your team. [:

first off, hp ice is generally not needed for latios at all. if lando-t is an issue, draco straight away and it will end up being no problem at all. since we have the issue of being weak to bulky waters, my first suggestion here is to run thunderbolt on latios over hp ice. this change is needed because things like azu and gyara can easily ram right through your team with little problem at all and since your aim is to ultimately sweep with dddnite, you need to get rid of these problematic mons first before giving dddnite a good chance to sweep. with this change, you also reduce your weakness to bulky water spam and allows for dddnite to sweep with much more ease.

next, heatran is great for the team, but keep in mind that your counter to low kick weavile is actually pressing alt + f4 on your keyboard. this means that if you were to opt for choice banded azu over taunttran. this provides you with a soft check to zard x that you can easily weaken and then either kill with scarf lando or azu. CB azu is also a great addition to your team simply because it provides much needed breaking power so that should your dddnite fail to sweep, it should've theoretically done enough damage to the opposing team to the point that just clicking aqua jet on cb azu will easily evaporate the opposing team. not only that, but cb azu is an extremely underrated threat in the current metagame and your team actually supports it pretty decently.

lastly, i feel that running 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 +Spe spread over your current dddnite spread is much more efficient since at +1, you hit 388 speed which helps outspeed a lot of threats such as weavile (you can tank an ice shard from full and kill with dclaw), alakazam, sceptile, scarftar, 128 spe talon, etc. all of which are quite problematic to your team and with this spread you can help limit the problems that these mons cause to your team. im not quite sure what you current spread does but im sure it does something useful too so it's up to you for this one. Also, as you suggested, you can opt to run stealth rocks over protect on your diancie since diancie actually draws in a lot of common steel types that magnezone actually eats for breakfast lunch brunch dinner supper you name it. on top of that with steel types removed, dddnite will also end up having a fun time so there's that!

hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/

Why on earth are you using HP Ice on Latios when it learns Ice Beam...?
I can't believe that I forgot, but yeah, dumb decision by me…

cool cool team. haven't seen a dnite in use for a very long while and i must say that despite your team being very interesting, i can see some very obvious flaws. your team is very outright ice weak as well as it being rly weak to bulky waters. not only that, but your wincon is one that needs a lot of support to win and it's always safer to have more solid things to back up that type of wincon. nonetheless, mdiancie + zone + dddnite is a very good core if well played and i hope to be able to provide you some nice suggestions to help you with your team. [:

first off, hp ice is generally not needed for latios at all. if lando-t is an issue, draco straight away and it will end up being no problem at all. since we have the issue of being weak to bulky waters, my first suggestion here is to run thunderbolt on latios over hp ice. this change is needed because things like azu and gyara can easily ram right through your team with little problem at all and since your aim is to ultimately sweep with dddnite, you need to get rid of these problematic mons first before giving dddnite a good chance to sweep. with this change, you also reduce your weakness to bulky water spam and allows for dddnite to sweep with much more ease.

next, heatran is great for the team, but keep in mind that your counter to low kick weavile is actually pressing alt + f4 on your keyboard. this means that if you were to opt for choice banded azu over taunttran. this provides you with a soft check to zard x that you can easily weaken and then either kill with scarf lando or azu. CB azu is also a great addition to your team simply because it provides much needed breaking power so that should your dddnite fail to sweep, it should've theoretically done enough damage to the opposing team to the point that just clicking aqua jet on cb azu will easily evaporate the opposing team. not only that, but cb azu is an extremely underrated threat in the current metagame and your team actually supports it pretty decently.

lastly, i feel that running 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 +Spe spread over your current dddnite spread is much more efficient since at +1, you hit 388 speed which helps outspeed a lot of threats such as weavile (you can tank an ice shard from full and kill with dclaw), alakazam, sceptile, scarftar, 128 spe talon, etc. all of which are quite problematic to your team and with this spread you can help limit the problems that these mons cause to your team. im not quite sure what you current spread does but im sure it does something useful too so it's up to you for this one. Also, as you suggested, you can opt to run stealth rocks over protect on your diancie since diancie actually draws in a lot of common steel types that magnezone actually eats for breakfast lunch brunch dinner supper you name it. on top of that with steel types removed, dddnite will also end up having a fun time so there's that!

hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
I'll consider that change to Azumarill, because Heatran feels out of place.Thanks for the feedback, I hope it will help to rectify some of my weaknesses.

hi cool team here Slowchomp i enjoy the dragon/fairy/steel core you're using. however, i have a couple of suggestions to improve the overall performance of your team. first thing i notice after taking a quick glance of your team is weaknesses to both weavile and mega gyarados as due to their combination of stab moves + coverage moves can easily tear through your team. sd gliscor can also pretty easily tear through your team after one swords dance boost as well and you're most reliable way to beat it is with hp ice latios.

this has already been mentioned in the rate before me however giving my own opinion wont harm anyone. i can back the suggestion of you going azumarill over heatran as its able to check 3 major threats to your team, those being weavile/gyarados and sd gliscor. its able to ohko the former two with play rough and the latter by waterfall. however, azu still has to be aware of poison jab from weavile which can deal 80% at the most so its not really the "best' check to weavile.

changing heatran for azumarill opens up a bisharp weakness as azumarill isn't the most reliable check as iron head is able to flinch and at +2 ohko. so for this reason i'd like to suggest switching landorus-therian to hippowdon. this change helps you not only against bisharp but even strengthens your matchup better vs the opposing landorus-therian. since you don't have heatran anymore its able to provide rocks for you. it's also able to phaze out zard-x or even pick off a weakened one with earthquake however, now since you have hippowdon on your team you lose your scarfer and the reason you said you wanted it was to able to mitigate the weakness to a +1 zard-x, that brings me on to my next suggestion. however keep in mind to put your hippowdon's ability as sand force so dragonite doesn't have its multiscaled ruined.

you might want to consider going scarf latios > lo latios. scarf latios is an excellent revenge killer and can outspeed a +1 zard-x whilst being able to cripple stall builds due to trick and not to mention most importantly; still defog for your dragonite to come out on full health. now you don't have to really worry about the speed tie on things such as gengar and lati's. draco meteor and psyshock still hit hard without life orb and can still ohko threats to your team such as gengar and kyurem-black. not to mention it can lure weavile to an extent and cause it to knock off but you outspeed and OHKO with draco meteor.

(also i agree with the spread change on dragonite and i don't wanna repeat that again)

anyways i hope i helped and gl with your team :]]]

here are some replays /w my suggestions:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-404126344 = dragonite wins /w some hax.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-404128313 = dragonite cleans /w no hax
will add more soon

Yellow Barney (Dragonite) (F) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Etoile (Latios) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Magneto (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect

Reactions: zbr
Hi! I really like the dragon/fairy/steel core and you have a pretty decent team so it doesn't struggle with a lot of things. However, I noticed some potential threats to your team that could be annoying to deal with. Weavile outspeeds almost everything in your team and has coverage to 2HKO or OHKO most of it, your only mon that can outspeed it is Lando-T which takes a lot from Ice Shard even at -1. Bisharp has the potential to sweep your team if you don't play carefully with Latios, this isn't that big of a problem but it's still something to keep in mind. Sand Cores with Tyranitar + Excadrill or Hippowdon + Excadrill do a lot of damage to your team, your main way to check Excadrill is Landorus which isn't that consistent since it only switchs into it 1 time and if it's paired with a Hippowdon then your team is going to have problems breaking it. M-Zard X with Earthquake runs through your team, the only way you can check it at +1 is Landorus-T, which is fine, but you need to play carefully around it.
Defensive Landorus-T > Scarf:
I saw that you rely too much on Landorus to check physical attackers such as Excadrill, Charizard-X and M-Lopunny. Scarf struggles at checking most of these since it doesn't have the bulk to do it, it works more as a revenge killer which means that you'll have to sack something against these mons most of the time. With Defensive Landorus you have a more reliable check to Excadrill and EQ Zard-X, it has the bulk to switch into them and get chip damage with Rocky Helmet. You still have momentum and it gives you a better Stealth Rock setter.
Scarf Keldeo >
Heatran:
Since you already have Magnezone for steel types and Landorus as your rocker you don't need Heatran. Keldeo gives you another Dark Resist, this helps you vs mons like Weavile, a really big problem to your team, and it gives you another check to Bisharp. Since you lack some speed control without Scarf Landorus, I decided to use Scarf Keldeo as a revenge killer to fast mons like Thundurus, M-Lopunny, M-Zard X, etc.
Roost > HP Ice:
I don't really know why you have HP Ice here since you already hit Chomp and Lando with Draco. With defensive Lando on your team electric types become a problem, with Roost you have longevity vs Keldeo, Volcanion and electric types like Raikou and M-Manectric.
Leftovers > Lum Berry:
Since you're using Roost on Dnite Leftovers helps more, it lets you stall out Stone Edge from Chople/Scarf Tyranitar because with Leftovers then sand can't break your Multiscale if you're at full. A spread of 240 Attack, 16 SpDef and 252 Speed with a Jolly nature lets you take a LO Draco from Latios at full, with a Jolly Nature you outspeed M-Lop and M-Mane at +1

That's it for my rate, you have to watch out for Azumarill since you don't have a good switch-in to it, this isn't that big of a problem since the chip damage from other members of your team like Keldeo can help since it weakens it for Dnite to put it in range of +1 EQ. Latios can be annoying to your team but with ur Magnezone spread you can take 2 LO Dracos, M-Diancie can revenge kill it and Dnite can set up on it (not taking into account crits) thanks to Roost. For your future teams, I wouldn't recommend using Stealth Rock M-Diancie, Protect is an important move on it since it's able to get a free mega evolution on everything which is needed and the mindgames that it causes turn 1 with other rockers is always nice. .

Yellow Barney (Dragonite) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Etoile (Latios) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Hi Bye (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 32 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)