ORAS OU Beefy Bros (1400ish)

Beefy Bros

Introduction

Hello, everybody! This is my first post in RMT, and only my second ever in these forums. I’m a relatively new player, but I think this cobbled together team has some promise. I’ve been playing it around the 1200ish area (peaked at 1240 or so) and I’ve been finetuning it a while. I’d love to hear the opinion of more experienced players. It evolved from a Sand-list. I fell in love with Slowbro and decided to shunt the sand theme to side. Anyway, without further ado, I present the Beefy Bros!

In-Depth

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

A big beefy bro who can take a pounding. Slowbrow is a tank with great recovery, and it’s easy to get off calm mind turns on switch in. I love the regenerator ability—if you use slowbro intelligently, he can be practically invincible. Checks threats like Keldeo, Heatran, Mega-Lopunny, etc. Slowbro in my mind represents the soul of this team and embodies its core idea: slow and steady wins the race.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast

A good complement to his bro companion, Clefable is a chunky stealth-rock setter who checks Dragon threats like Garchomp and can soak up a draco meteor from latio/as. Again, the theme is longevity and a control style of play, whittling the opponent down with entry hazards while the various walls soak up the damage they soak up best. Fire blast can surprise a Mega-Venasaur smelling blood; this is the move-slot I’m least sure of, however.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

The team’s anti-water beast. Ferrothorn adds further juice to the entry hazards gauntlet, supplementing Clefable’s rocks with spikes. Leech seed is a great move for this team’s style; healing up the tanks and chipping away at the enemy life total. Gyro ball handles fairies.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Mega-Scizor can get pretty disgusting with Sword Dance. A well-timed Sword Dance into bullet punch is hard for many mons to take. U-turn provides some bug-type damage and allows for scouting and quick tactical changes. Roost lets Scizor sit back and dance his happy little head off.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

The team revenge killer and resident ghost/psychic killer. Superpower is the slot I am least sure of—I have considered Ice Punch or another move to try and broaden the coverage. Crunch is a source of Dark-type damage for when your opponent is playing around Pursuit and the limited damage isn’t getting the job done.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

A support cleric and a speedy avenger, Latios is a versatile bro. Defog is always useful. Psyshock provides psychic-type damage that Slowbro forgoes in favor of Calm Mind. Earthquake can be a nasty surprise for a Heatran, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Mega-Manectric, etc. However, this slot is also variable. Draco Meteor coupled with Latios’s speediness can snipe careless enemy Dragons, and can even KO enemies with no weakness to dragon type.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
-Simonquinlank

Cool team,but honestly i don't really understand if its offense balance semi stall ect because it seems you had a defensive core at first and put 2 x4 weak pokemon to fire even though 1 is good enough,after that you just randomly put offensive pokemon at the end.Its really tough to rate something when you don't even know the play style of it.Can you reply to me and tell me what is the play style(im banking on semi stall because i suck with balance builds lol).

Hi. Nice team you've got.

So, this team is pretty familiar to me, in a sense that I like Slowbro + Clefable a lot and have a ton of teams with it, and hopefully my experience with this core will be helpful.

Looking at the team, here are some threats to your team that I recognised:
- Magnezone: Traps 2 mons; 2HKOs every single thing anyway
- Volcarona: Less important but your team gives this guy every opportunity to set up and when it does it literally wins
- Mega Scizor: You have nothing for the Offensive set
- Opposing Sand: Sand Driller annihilates your team at +2
- Torn-T: Puts in a lot of work in general as it outspeeds everything (yes, even Scarf Tar)
- Bisharp: This thing could kill many mons

These are only specific threats, not everything. What I think your team lacks is a direction, and thus I'll be working on this.

Here are my suggestions:

Rotom-W > Ferrothorn

TBH I don't see what Ferrothorn does for you other than hazard stacking. Sure it can switch into many hits but does it do anything special for you in specific? Also, it's another mon that gets trapped by Magnezone, which is already a big problem for your team. Rotom-W, however, gives you a ton of benefits which include being a Sand and Bird resist, something that you need quite badly. It can also deal with Magnezone decently and forms an effective VoltTurn core with MZor. Like Ferrothorn, it is also a water resist so I don't think it adds notable new threats to your team. The set I have chosen is standard.

Keldeo > Latios

Again, Latios isn't too essential to your team. I chose Keldeo to replace it as Keldeo is a reliable Dark check which again, your team appreciates a lot. It also gives you a powerful water type and a good special move to spam, one that you are lacking currently. With Keldeo, you now have a consistent way to dish out huge amounts of damage and annoy your opponent to the max. Specs for the power.

Heatran > Tyranitar

Now that you are lacking a Steel type, I have chosen Heatran to be the next addition. Heatran is vital in that it checks many Fire and Grass types that now threaten your team. I have chosen SpDef as your team has more than enough ways to deal with Stall and SpDef fares well against Stall too. It also gives you a better Rocks setter and isn't weak to Magnezone either. The set is pretty much standard, with Stone Edge suggested as you are now slightly weak to Zard Y.

MGCM > Rocks
Now that you have Rocks on another mon, you can finally utilize what I, and many people feel is the best Clef set, also the one that gets on many people's nerves - the MGCM (TWave) set. This set is just really effective and it suits your team really well. You don't need Rocks or Fire coverage anyway now.

Psyshock > Thunder Wave
I'm not a big fan of Thunder Wave Slowbro. As you are running CM, Psyshock is much needed to win CM wars, hit special walls and Keldeo. I went to replace TWave instead of CM as I'm not a big fan of TWave on Slowbro. Plus, you're not weak to Zard X with the addition of Heatran and Clef has got TWave too.

Here are the sets:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic / Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

And with that, I'm done with my rate. Hope I helped and have a nice day!

Thanks so much! I implemented your suggestions and I'm already really satisfied with the improvements-- currently my highest ever rank, 1313! The team really has direction and oomph to it now. The only thing I changed was I swapped out Mega-Scizor for Scarf Landorus-T. He's been performing well, especially in conjunction with volt switch. If you have any suggestions regarding Lando, I'd be happy to hear them:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

The set is fine and it fits in your team decently. Most importantly, it has been performing well so all's good!

Hi! You have a nice team but it has some issues that im gonna try to fix.

First, you have a spike stacking team with defog, thats not a good idea because you don't want to remove your own spikes and rocks. M-Scizor and Ferrothorn aren't that great together, they stack weaknesses and make you a lot more weak to magnezone cores. Offensive ground types like LO Excadrill, Scarf Landorus and LO Garchomp can be a problem to your team because you lack a good ground immunity and you rely too much on Slowbro to check them. Tornadus-T can be a problem because it outspeeds everything in your team and you don't have a good way to revenge kill it.
Heatran >
Ferrothorn:
Like I said before, Ferrothorn and Scizor on the same team isn't that good, you already have good answers for water types being Latios and Slowbro. Heatran gives you a better Stealth Rock user and a check to Offensive M-Zor and another check to Clefable if it has fire coverage, it also helps vs some defensive grass types like Amoonguss, Tangrowth and M-Venusaur. Toxic helps you wear down bulky water types like Rotom-W and Slowbro and Taunt is to prevent mons like Clefable and Chansey from recovering.
Scarf Landorus-T >
Scarf Tyranitar:
Your team was lacking a good ground immunity and Lando provides that, it also gives you a check to Tornadus-T since scarf Lando is able to outspeed it, something that Scarf Tyranitar wasn't able to do. It's a secondary check to stuff like Zard-X, M-Pinsir and LO Excadrill, something that your team appreciates since it takes off pressure from Slowbro.

I agree with Tinberz on having T-Wave and Calm Mind on Clefable and Psyshock on Slowbro.
Superpower > U-Turn:
Assuming you have T-Wave on Clefable like Tinberz suggested then this is gonna work for your team. Superpower helps you vs Bisharp, you can take a +2 Sucker Punch from full and OHKO with Superpower. This also goes well with T-Wave Clefable, if you manage to paralyze Heatran then M-Scizor can set up while they switch into it and OHKO with +2 Superpower.
Thunderbolt and Roost > Earthquake and Psyshock:
With Tbolt you still hit Keldeo and it hits Azumarill for more damage, I decided to add this because Latios is your only check to Belly Drum Azumarill. Roost is here because Latios should be your switch-in to Volcanion, Keldeo and electric types, so Roost gives you longevity vs these mons which is really helpful.

That's it for my rate, I know you are already testing the team with other suggestions, but you can try this too if you want, to see if you like it. Some threats to this team are M-Pinsir and LO Tornadus-T. You have ways to deal with them, you just have to play carefully and keep your checks healthy, Slowbro can take 2 Returns from M-Pinsir without rocks and Clefable is able to beat LO Tornadus 1v1, Scarf Landorus is able to revenge kill those two. I hope you like the changes, have fun!
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Looking at the current build, I can see one absolutely massive threat to your team, and that's Volcanion. Yes, Latios can possibly deal with it, but it will not appreciate taking a burn on switch in as your Latios currently has no form of recovery, and once it's worn down, your team is torn apart by Volcanion. Slowbro is worn down by earth powers and the best it can do in retaliation is thunder wave it currently. Clefable doesn't like getting hit by STAB Steam Eruption/Fire Blast and as it isn't running calm mind, can't bulk up to take them more comfortably.
Ferrothorn and Scizor are massacred in a brief instant thanks to it's STAB Fire again and T-Tar Also hates getting hit by Steam Eruption.

Scarf Terrakion could help mitigate the threat some as it'll outspeed Scarf Volcanion, and can benefit from sand's sp def boost possibly, but it can't risk switching in. Lando-T scarfed serves a similar role.

I think Rotom W would be another great mon to consider due to a fantastic typing that helps check Volcanion, Talonflame and Heatran. EZ and Rampdecker make great points as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)