ORAS OU (NEWB) Please help with my new team!

Hey there,
I am new to competitive Pokemon and my friend helped me put together a team for OU Singles. Here it is:

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat

I chose Infernape because he has all the things I'm looking for in a lead, with a strong emphasis on his speed stat. My Focus Sash/Blaze/Overheat combo works really well at the start of a match, considering a lot of popular leads take normal fire damage. I find he is very useful for me to set up with Stealth Rock and for crippling my opponent's lead with Toxic and Overheat. I use my EVs on Special attack to boost Overheat and on Speed so I can strike first with Toxic and Stealth Rock. I've noticed that Infernape typically dies before I can switch him out appropriately.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Serperior is my go-to special sweeper. While being a bit of a glass cannon, his good special attack and access to Glare are what made him my choice. I usually switch him in on a revenge kill, finishing off the other Pokemon easily and building momentum with my Contrary Leaf Storm. I also get good coverage from HP Fire, which allows me to 1-2HKO most steel or ice-type checks. I only really use glare when I am being outsped. And finally, I use dragon pulse for Dragon-type switch-ins or if Leaf Storm is quad-resisted.

Gyarados @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Fang

Gyarados is my Special tank, granted considerable bulk from his Assault Vest and his Careful nature, plus his maxed SpD EVs. I use Ice Fang for Dragon or Flying types, Earthquake and Aqua Tail for anything else. I use Dragon Tail if I don't like the Pokemon in front of me, or if I'm trying to get some Stealth Rock damage on my opponent. My main problem with him is that he is frequently outsped, and I need to me wary of any potential Thunderbolt users.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Gengar is the oddball of my team, who is mainly used to derail item-based strategies. I use Gengar to limit my opponent to one move (usually done after I switch in), and then hit hard with either STAB Shadow Ball / Sludge Bomb or Focus Blast to take out normal types. If they switch out, I can either just keep going with powerful special attacks or use trick again to throw their strategy off even more.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

I chose Azumarill because of its bulkiness compared to other fairy types, and for it's wide, strong movepool. I've found Azumarill to be a great revenge killer, using STAB Aqua Jet and Play Rough to deal serious damage. I use Superpower for most Steel checks and I use Waterfall whenever priority with Aqua Jet isn't an issue.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

I chose Mega Tyranitar because of his solid defenses and good attacking power. I also think that he's a good choice based on his typing. I use Dragon Dance on any free turn I can, and then use STAB Stone Edge to hit the hardest. I use Ice punch and Superpower wherever Stone Edge doesn't cut it in terms of type or damage.

Now, please don't just say, "Oh this team sucks if I had X Pokemon I would wreck you", I am looking for any advice, both offensively and defensively. Also, I made this team on my Omega Ruby game, so if you have any suggestions, please bear in mind that I will have to fix the problems in-game, not on Pokemon Showdown.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friend! Interesting ideas in the team. Thing is tho, your team seems to have a lot of weird things going on. Like that azumarill I see carry moves of Kyurem-B, so which one is it?
Before I do a rate and help you I want to know which mon that is. cheerio~

Hello friend! Interesting ideas in the team. Thing is tho, your team seems to have a lot of weird things going on. Like that azumarill I see carry moves of Kyurem-B, so which one is it?
Before I do a rate and help you I want to know which mon that is. cheerio~
Yeah, my friend's OG suggestion was Kyurem-B, so I accidentally forgot to replace his moves. Thanks for noticing, It's been fixed with his proper moveset and descriptions were added.

Okay so suicide leads are generally not a good choice unless you're running HO. While I'm not sure what playstyle you're trying to run, I'm gonna make my suggestions based on you playing HO (btw HO means hyper offense).
First suggestion is to replace ass vest Gyarados with Swords Dance excadrill. It should have the ability sand rush, which synergizes very well with your tyranitar. Swords Dance/Rock Slide/EQ/Iron Head with max attack and speed and an adamant nature.
Your gengar set should be choice specs, not scarf. Gengar is plenty fast enough already and specs let it hit surprsingly hard. Trick is kinda a niche option, but it could make a good option versus stall or defensive balance. It can find a use against offense as well by locking in a physical attacker to 1 attack without giving them any relevant boost.
My next suggestion is to swap Knock Off for Aqua Jet on Azu. Aqua Jet lets Azu revenge kill and is your teams only priority (besides fake out infernape but eh).
Finally, I'm gonna recommend you replace Superpower on mega TTar with either pursuit or crunch. While pursuit trapping is obviously a great tool to have, as nailing the Lati twins is great in this meta, crunch lets you smash stuff irregardless of whether or not it switches. Superpower decreases TTars ability to sweep and is kinda redundant w Superpower Azu.

If you have any questions about my suggestions or any terms I used just pm me. Hope I helped!

Okay so suicide leads are generally not a good choice unless you're running HO. While I'm not sure what playstyle you're trying to run, I'm gonna make my suggestions based on you playing HO (btw HO means hyper offense).
First suggestion is to replace ass vest Gyarados with Swords Dance excadrill. It should have the ability sand rush, which synergizes very well with your tyranitar. Swords Dance/Rock Slide/EQ/Iron Head with max attack and speed and an adamant nature.
Your gengar set should be choice specs, not scarf. Gengar is plenty fast enough already and specs let it hit surprsingly hard. Trick is kinda a niche option, but it could make a good option versus stall or defensive balance. It can find a use against offense as well by locking in a physical attacker to 1 attack without giving them any relevant boost.
My next suggestion is to swap Knock Off for Aqua Jet on Azu. Aqua Jet lets Azu revenge kill and is your teams only priority (besides fake out infernape but eh).
Finally, I'm gonna recommend you replace Superpower on mega TTar with either pursuit or crunch. While pursuit trapping is obviously a great tool to have, as nailing the Lati twins is great in this meta, crunch lets you smash stuff irregardless of whether or not it switches. Superpower decreases TTars ability to sweep and is kinda redundant w Superpower Azu.

If you have any questions about my suggestions or any terms I used just pm me. Hope I helped!
Thanks for the insight! I just have a couple of questions:
-You were saying that suicide leads aren't generally a good option. Does this mean that I would be better off choosing a new lead for HO?
-I really like your suggestion with excadrill BTW
-I chose scarf Gengar not for the speed boost but so I could limit my opponent to one move with trick while not boosting either one of their attack stats.
-my Azumarill already has Aqua jet (unless you were telling me to swap it out for knock off?)
-Also like pursuit suggestion.
Thanks for the help, if my shoddy wifi holds up I'll try to test it out on Showdown :)

Thanks for the insight! I just have a couple of questions:
-You were saying that suicide leads aren't generally a good option. Does this mean that I would be better off choosing a new lead for HO?
-I really like your suggestion with excadrill BTW
-I chose scarf Gengar not for the speed boost but so I could limit my opponent to one move with trick while not boosting either one of their attack stats.
-my Azumarill already has Aqua jet (unless you were telling me to swap it out for knock off?)
-Also like pursuit suggestion.
Thanks for the help, if my shoddy wifi holds up I'll try to test it out on Showdown :)
Sorry, I misread your Azu set. My most sincere apologies haha.

In regards to the lead, having a suicide lead for HO is not a bad thing, and is certainly viable. I just wanted to make clear that suicide leads are only viable on HO teams and I wasn't 100% sure what kinda build you were trying to make.

Finally, while scarf might not boost the raw attacking power of an opponent, it does boost their speed, which can also be dangerous. Specs lets gengar wallbreak before tricking and also lets it cripple physical attackers better than a scarf, which is still a viable option on a lot of mons.
Sorry for any confusion and I'm glad to have helped.

Sorry, I misread your Azu set. My most sincere apologies haha.

In regards to the lead, having a suicide lead for HO is not a bad thing, and is certainly viable. I just wanted to make clear that suicide leads are only viable on HO teams and I wasn't 100% sure what kinda build you were trying to make.

Finally, while scarf might not boost the raw attacking power of an opponent, it does boost their speed, which can also be dangerous. Specs lets gengar wallbreak before tricking and also lets it cripple physical attackers better than a scarf, which is still a viable option on a lot of mons.
Sorry for any confusion and I'm glad to have helped.
No problem, thank you very much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)