Pokémon GO

I installed this on my Galaxy S5 recently, within 5 minutes of playing it I already found a friggin' Pidgey on the computer desk in my living room! Little bastard probably shit in our printer. Named him "Flying Rat" for good measure.

We know they are going to add trading. It's in the Terms of Service.

Trading

The App permits Account holders to capture and trade virtual items, including but not limited to Pokémon characters or creatures (“Trading Items”) during gameplay. Unlike Virtual Money and Virtual Goods (see below), Trading Items are obtained at no additional charge during gameplay. Trading Items are a category of Content, and Niantic grants you a limited, nontransferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to use such Trading Items in conjunction with your personal, noncommercial use of the Services. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights in or to Trading Items and that Trading Items do not have monetary value. Trading Items may be traded with other Account holders for other Trading Items, but Trading Items can never be sold, transferred, or exchanged for Virtual Money, Virtual Goods, “real” goods, “real” money, or “real” services, or any other compensation or consideration from us or anyone else.

You also agree that you will only obtain Trading Items from other Account holders and through means provided by us, and not from or through any third-party platform, exchange, broker, or other mechanism, unless expressly authorized. We may cancel any Trading Items sold, transferred, or exchanged in violation of these Terms. Any such sale, transfer, or exchange (or attempt to do so) is prohibited and may result in the termination of your Account. As set forth below, all Trading Items and other Content are provided “as is,” without any warranty.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why are people suddenly asking if they'll add trading? It's a core concept of Pokemon (at least in the games you can connect to other player's games) and it was in the trailer. Yes I know trailers lie but for the Pokemon Go that was more for the graphics/VR representation than the mechanics being advertised.

Why are people suddenly asking if they'll add trading? It's a core concept of Pokemon (at least in the games you can connect to other player's games) and it was in the trailer. Yes I know trailers lie but for the Pokemon Go that was more for the graphics/VR representation than the mechanics being advertised.
Yeah, watching the trailer, one could really think you could actually battle with people and have a nice element of competition.

With regards to how the poke stops and gyms work, is it random, or does the game use google maps and makes e.g. All churches poke stops?
Funny thing I found was when I went to this town, there was a commnity centre that was a gym and then when I looked at the two poke stops right next to it, one of them was exactly the same centre!
The poke ball situation is annoying, as I waste lots of pokeballs on trying to get the actual ball to hit he pokemon before you even have to start the capture! I missed my chance to catch a high CP (compared to my team) jinx and Fearow, 2 pokemon rare for my area.
Are we sure that everyone has the same chances of finding the same pokemon? There was an Aerodactyl spotted down one road near me, yet I've never found it.

Beside the fact that my father wants to pre-ban the game, due to incidents of people getting hurt or killed while playing the game (apparently, one homeowner felt that the only suitable response to a pair of teens monster hunting on his property was to shoot them dead, for instance), the game's mechanics aren't very endearing to me.

I mean, I don't like the level-up mechanic (or lack thereof). Instead of evolving via level up, you have to earn these candies? And I don't like the fact that you only have two moves, and don't get more via level up. It really resembles Rumble World way too much, and makes it so you have to release previous teammates to improve ones with better potential, and the inability to change moves makes any sort of ability to adapt and customize your favorite Mons sucks balls.

Never mind the fact that I already have plenty of stuff to keep me very occupied.

Beside the fact that my father wants to pre-ban the game, due to incidents of people getting hurt or killed while playing the game (apparently, one homeowner felt that the only suitable response to a pair of teens monster hunting on his property was to shoot them dead, for instance), the game's mechanics aren't very endearing to me.

I mean, I don't like the level-up mechanic (or lack thereof). Instead of evolving via level up, you have to earn these candies? And I don't like the fact that you only have two moves, and don't get more via level up. It really resembles Rumble World way too much, and makes it so you have to release previous teammates to improve ones with better potential, and the inability to change moves makes any sort of ability to adapt and customize your favorite Mons sucks balls.

Never mind the fact that I already have plenty of stuff to keep me very occupied.
Yes, i agree with your points in the pat 2nd paragraph. When you are fighting gyms, you have to tap on the pokemon, making it a game of 'who can tap the fastest.' What I don't understand is how do you change the move you are using in that battle. This all seems very luck orientated!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guys, you really need to temper your expectations. This is a FREE phone app game that was just released two weeks ago, it's not going to have the depth and complexity of one of the cartridge games. Give it some time before you jump to a bunch of ridiculous conclusions, sheesh.

Omg, wouldnt it be awesome if they had fishing in the game?!

Or maybe the bait from safari zone!
About bait, we do have Zuri berry (forgot English name) to give to wild Pokemon and make them easier to catch. To be honest, I feel like this whole world is Pokemon Safari like in past generations. Only minus the remaining step counter.

Yes, i agree with your points in the pat 2nd paragraph. When you are fighting gyms, you have to tap on the pokemon, making it a game of 'who can tap the fastest.' What I don't understand is how do you change the move you are using in that battle. This all seems very luck orientated!
It's not all about cherry tapping, though. Each attacks has cooldown, ranging from 0.5 seconds to maybe 2. You don't just blindly tap it and hope your Pokemon defeats the enemy quicker than the AI do you. Dodging is a good factor in winning a gym battle (aside of functioning internet; hard to dodge when the internet is screwy).

I had a fight against a Snorlax and managed to dodge that massive Hyper Beam twice in a row, which would end my Vaporeon quickly if I didn't.

That said, I do agree that there's something lacking in GO. Unlike main games, Pokemon GO uses candies and stardust that are obtained by catching or hatching Pokemon, not by battling. Although apparently people discovered there are hidden IV system, the stardust cost starts to hurt so much in later levels. Since one can basically hoard Pokemon or just hope to catch stronger Pokemon to save stardust, there's no sense in bonding with trusted partners, I think.

Oh well, it's still a free game anyways. I found a Vaporeon that seems to perform better than another one with higher CP, hopefully I can bond with her and treat her just like one I love in currently my AS....

Last edited:
About bait, we do have Zuri berry (forgot English name) to give to wild Pokemon and make them easier to catch. To be honest, I feel like this whole world is Pokemon Safari like in past generations. Only minus the remaining step counter.

It's not all about cherry tapping, though. Each attacks has cooldown, ranging from 0.5 seconds to maybe 2. You don't just blindly tap it and hope your Pokemon defeats the enemy quicker than the AI do you. Dodging is a good factor in winning a gym battle (aside of functioning internet; hard to dodge when the internet is screwy).

I had a fight against a Snorlax and managed to dodge that massive Hyper Beam twice in a row, which would end my Vaporeon quickly if I didn't.

That said, I do agree that there's something lacking in GO. Unlike main games, Pokemon GO uses candies and stardust that are obtained by catching or hatching Pokemon, not by battling. Although apparently people discovered there are hidden IV system, the stardust cost starts to hurt so much in later levels. Since one can basically hoard Pokemon or just hope to catch stronger Pokemon to save stardust, there's no sense in bonding with trusted partners, I think.

Oh well, it's still a free game anyways. I found a Vaporeon that seems to perform better than another one with higher CP, hopefully I can bond with her and treat her just like one I love in currently my AS....
The whole game is basically one big pokemon safari since you can't send pokemon out against the wild ones.
How do you dodge attacks, and how do you use the pokemon's second move (say if it is hyper beam)?

Well, I now come to ask. I see that people actually managed to make a sophisticated IV calculator. However, I see that IV impacts about 10% of stats and not so much as the main games. Will it be worth it at all to try getting high IV ones? Stardust costs start to hurt a lot in later level, there's no way other than praying to Random Number God to get even decent ones (unlike main game with breeding, etc.), and the gameplay emphasises actions more with dodging enabled anyway. What does anyone think about IV in GO?

The whole game is basically one big pokemon safari since you can't send pokemon out against the wild ones.
How do you dodge attacks, and how do you use the pokemon's second move (say if it is hyper beam)?
No one other than previous trailer and sites like Serebii taught anything about battling, not even the professor. But well, swiping left or right moves your Pokemon, and if timed correctly (with good internet connection), it can dodge attacks. And to use the second attack, hold click the Pokemon if it's bar is filled up.

Honestly though, I didn't think charged attack can be evaded before I managed to evade these Hyper Beams.

Well, I now come to ask. I see that people actually managed to make a sophisticated IV calculator. However, I see that IV impacts about 10% of stats and not so much as the main games. Will it be worth it at all to try getting high IV ones? Stardust costs start to hurt a lot in later level, there's no way other than praying to Random Number God to get even decent ones (unlike main game with breeding, etc.), and the gameplay emphasises actions more with dodging enabled anyway. What does anyone think about IV in GO?
I don't think it's worth it unless you're perfectionist. The only battling mechanic in the game, gym battles, immensely favor the attacker, and I can't think of any scenario where a 100 CP difference will matter.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was at Game Grumps Live last night and I swear a shit ton of people (like at least half of audience) were playing Go. Apparently there was even a Ninetails in the theater just before the show started, and somebody yelled it out so everyone would know.

So according to the newspaper there was a pokewalk in south mumbai and 7000 people attended it. The police came and denies them the pokewalk.

I didn't even know pokemon GO was this popular in india and the app hasn't even been released officially here. O_O

I live in England and I'm from blue team (team mystic). What I'm finding is that there are more blue and red team gyms in my area-it's a struggle for dominance as every 5 minutes the gyms are changing! At first I saw more red gyms but now I'm definitely seeing more blue team held gyms. I went more north recently and I swear, there is an actual trend going on in certain areas! I saw 3 yellow teams today in a more northerly area! Since I saw less yellow team gyms in the south, I bet the north is the yellow team hotspot and the South is more of a blue red mix...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The Team Leaders have been revealed:

Kinda feeling nothing from Candela and Blanche (leaders of the two most popular team), though I'm liking the style of Spark (and it maybe because he looks a bit like Roxas from the Kingdom Hearts series). Actually I take back what I said about Blanche, though I'm not overly impressed on second thought I do get more of a "cold" feeling from her(?). But Candela, don't know, for a person who's team symbol is Moltres does she match? Blanche and Spark colors match their Legendary bird, but Candela doesn't. Now I'm not saying she should go all "I'M A FLAMING MOLTRES" but at least stick with Moltres color scheme (and if you're worried about blending too much with Spark just exchange the yellow with orange and have there be more red).

Also with the reveal of the team leaders if the reveal of the Legendary Birds themselves! For those attending Comic-Con, there's a Pokemon Go panel and a Youtuber personalty tweeted they might hold a capturing event.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
SDCC's Go panel already finished lol. There wasn't a capture event. They just answered some questions regarding stuff like the 3 step bug, Breeding, Trading, Pokemon Centers, and Customizing Poke Stops. The Leaders also play a pivotal role in the game according to the creator, but that has yet to be revealed.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Seems like there are no Pokémon whatsoever in the specific corner of the Norwegian mountains I visited the past couple of days. No 'mons, no Poké Spots, no Gyms, no nothing. And if I remember correctly, no "fireflies" either. What do those do, by the way, do anybody know?

Still, when I used an Incense, two Pokémon showed up over a half-hour period. Poliwag and Seel. As far from the sea as you can get in Norway. On the top of a mountain. Ooo... kay.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
SDCC's Go panel already finished lol. There wasn't a capture event. They just answered some questions regarding stuff like the 3 step bug, Breeding, Trading, Pokemon Centers, and Customizing Poke Stops. The Leaders also play a pivotal role in the game according to the creator, but that has yet to be revealed.
To list some of the finer details for everyone here:
  • There are easter eggs that nobody has found yet.
  • They're planning ways to customize Pokestops
  • Pokemon Centers are coming
  • There will be more functionality added to gyms, though the specifics aren’t clear
  • Niantic says the game is at about 10% of what they want it to be
  • They're still discussing breeding, but nothing concrete in the works yet
  • The legendary birds are tied to teams in some way, as the original designs implied (I thought this might be the case, you don't base the teams off the Legendary birds and not do anything with it. I imagined each team would have something special concerning their bird. Be it exclusive right to capture their bird of just an easier time catching it)
  • They know about the three-step glitch but gave no answer on it. (though apparently on Reddit people are saying it was an intentional change to ease server loads)
  • It sounds like we can't expect legendaries until after the game has been released on all regions
Blanche is a feminine name, but I oddly get a gender neutral vibe from them.
Probably to have the most trainers be able to relate to them. They're clothing is also not particular masculine or feminine, its casually stylized.

Seems like there are no Pokémon whatsoever in the specific corner of the Norwegian mountains I visited the past couple of days. No 'mons, no Poké Spots, no Gyms, no nothing. And if I remember correctly, no "fireflies" either. What do those do, by the way, do anybody know?

Still, when I used an Incense, two Pokémon showed up over a half-hour period. Poliwag and Seel. As far from the sea as you can get in Norway. On the top of a mountain. Ooo... kay.
While be driven to work my brother found a Porygon near a park. Also he found a Zubat during the day, outside, in broad daylight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)