Stall Team

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.

This is a stall team that is no longer legal obviously because of Amoonguss / Mega Steelix not being in RU. I like it because it had all the relevant utility moves while holding fantastic bulk with Regenerator users so it could counter every single individual threat and most combinations in the metagame. However, besides the fact its now illegal, this team is a bit weak to hazards because Golbat is not the best hazard control as well as it lacks a lot of hazards itself. It also features a weakness to Pursuit + anything I need Meloetta for.

Because no team is perfect and this one isn't even legal, I would really appreciate it if I could have advice on how to improve / replace Amoonguss. Steelix Mega can easily enough be replaced by Steelix if that turns out to be necessary. This team is also extremely weak to Medicham and Gallade - both of which can almost 6-0 if its the right set and played even moderately intelligently.

And I would like to thank first the many people who helped me think of these sets (like AV Amoonguss) and then to you if you rate my team.

shroomy woomy (Amoonguss) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play
- Sludge Bomb

An unconventional set, I do not think Spore is necessary on stall because it needs to kill / neutralize threats, not just sleep them (putting a Sigilyph to sleep will not help you beat it). Assault Vest is good for Omastar so it cannot OHKO with +2 Ice Beam. The rest of the moves are pretty obvious, Foul Play was mainly for Escavalier and other physical threats. Not too important seeing as this must be replaced now.

singy thingy (Meloetta) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Heal Bell
- Knock Off
- Perish Song

A fairly standard set. I do not like U-Turn on stall because I find the momentum it nets you cannot be abused since you have no attacker. So Psychic instead is good to do damage and get possibly Serene Grace drops - which lets you beat for instance Aromatisse or Togetic. Knock Off is for Delphox and opposing Meloetta while Perish Song is needed to beat some last Pokemon like Sub BU Braviary and Sigilyph. Speed for Clawitzer.

swimmy swim (Alomomola) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Toxic

I think we all know what this does - walls a good chunk of RU (and UU and OU and Ubers) and keeps my team healthy with Toxic. Interestingly most OU and UU teams and past generation teams that were stall based relied on a super wall - like Chansey or Blissey - to take a lot of hits. My team, and most RU teams, use Alomomola as the super wall, which is notable because its mainly physically defensive and does not have a cleric move. But it works, as any RU players know.

batzy watzy (Golbat) @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 116 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

A source of hazard control as well as a counter to some Fighting Pokemon. I believe the EVs are to live a Stone Edge from Life Orb Hitmonlee after SR, which was on a popular ladder team so I could Defog away his hazards which he set with suicide Omastar. I forget what the Speed is for sorry lol.

snekky snek (Steelix-Mega) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

This was the standard defensive Mega Steelix set, which I found more useful than the more offensive one because this is stall. It provides the basically necessary SR as well as a large amount of physical defense. Although it could not beat Sub BU Braviary, it could phaze it long enough for me to wait until it was the last Pokemon and then Perish Song or Infiltrator Toxic it. Also I find Ground types very useful on stall so the opponent cannot mindlessly spam Volt Switch on Alomomola.

soggy froggy (Poliwrath) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Circle Throw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The EVs are to survive +2 Life Orb HP Grass from Houndoom 100% of the time. Basically Poliwrath serves as a status absorber - useful when I do not think I have time to use Meloetta's Heal Bell - as well as a good check to Tyrantrum (now banned) and other physical threats. It also is my only good Houndoom response, a very good one at that.

In conclusion although this team was no doubt very effective, its main weaknesses now are:

1) Amoonguss and Steelix Mega are illegal
2) Gallade and Medicham can wall break very easily and sweep potentially if they are the right sets
3) I rely on Meloetta to counter many threats like Sigilyph and Sub CM Meloetta but it gets trapped easily (Pursuit and Dugtrio)
4) It has weak hazard control, particularly as I just lost my grounded Poison type

If you help me solve some of these weaknesses or trade them off for lesser ones, I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Nice team, you said you didn't know what the Golbat's speed was for so I looked it up using the speed tiers and it is meant to outspeed 252 Modest Abomasnow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)