CAP 22 CAP 22 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Latest Version:

Hey everybody! Remember me? Maybe? I was around for Cawmodore but then kinda sorta left. But now I'm back!

Version 1: http://i.imgur.com/5kWYxDa.jpg

This is a rough design in need of refining, the basic concept being a Pokemon that balances on a ball (circus-style) wherever it goes. It uses meditation to keep its balance, so that even while the ball isn't moving, it can still remain steady.

Version 2: http://i.imgur.com/VH0nQVf.jpg

Version 2, much less rough, now fully embraces the circus aesthetic, with a jester cap for flair. If you look closely, you can see that the Snorlax-type eyes are fake, and the "mouth" is its actual eye.

Version 3: http://i.imgur.com/mBJYZUg.jpg

The false eyes are now open, and the colors are a bit darker over all. I also refined the pose to a more battle-ready position.

Version 3 Supporting Material (Includes a demonstration of Parting Shot.)

I'd love to hear your feedback! I'll keep updating this post as I change the design.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know. I'm considering changing the color scheme to something more circusy.

EDIT: I have changed the whole design to something more circusy.

Last edited:
New supporting material for the Kangarat concept.

Tried a few different styles of shading the tail (white hand, all white/all dark) Full size version of the above image can be found be clicking it. EDIT: My 3DS drawing program finally decided to let me update the above SM, and has a drawing replay which can be found here if anyone cares for that sort of thing.

Also, I have another older version supporting material piece where I was playing with the idea of its tail being comprised of five separate bands that could coalesce into the hand.

Notable design updates:
-added arms, albeit small and practically useless
-Tried to make it more apparent that its patterning on the underside was made to resemble a mouth, with actual mouth being located just under the nose.
-Added ears.
-Based the legs more on the actual jointery of real Kangaroo rats and turned the thigh patterns into a retractable upper leg.

Plan on adding comments on some of the other designs in the thread later on tonight, not enough time right now to do anything expansive so expect an edit later tonight/tomorrow with that.

Slapperfish

Banned deucer.
WIP

I decided to make him look more like an owlbear, and differentiated the chest fluff and mushroom stalk a bit more. I also slimmed him up a bit and removed the wrappings from his hands and feet. He's now got spores scattered all over his upper body to make him look like he's got freckles or something, and the mushroom stalk now has some solidity to it.

I'll probably whip up some updated supporting material later at some point.

Last edited:
Illegal-Final Submission
MOD EDIT: Image is cropped at the top

Went for a bit of a stronger pink this time and darkened the cape, now more fancy with shading and stuff, hope this super raccoon appeals to you all :v

Edit:
Okay some quick and lazy comments just briefly
Golurkyourself: lovely design definetly looks more fighting and more agile however I can't shake off seeing it as a bit top heavy.
Sunfished: noooo! Pegleg! ;~;
aXl: I'd love to complement the designs but honestly I find it quite hard to make out the image and the goat one just doesn't fit the pokemon aesthetic much :/ nontheless I enjoy the concepts.
Harle: Nice concept however I feel more of a grass/fairy or grass/flying vibe more than anything, I do like the design though!
thebangzats: Looking absolutely fantastic although I'd wager it's a bit too heavy looking but I think I can imagine this guy flying around at speed :v great design one of my favourites.
Modeling Clay: Nice design and fits the bill nigh on perfectly although I think the purple makes it look a bit 'ghost type' when combined with floating body and detached hands ala haunter and the design lends itself a bit too much to levitate but hey, magnemite.

Last edited by a moderator:

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
WIP

k time for another comment dump!

Canis Majoris your other design looks better to me, I like the proportions on that a lot more! Looks more like it can fight as well. Anyway both designs are good I just think you should start tidying up the anatomy and perspective a bit, mostly the body of your main design and the face of the alternate one. His left eye is not quite in line and could be lowered a bit imo, and also should slant a bit more upwards towards the side since the head is round. I know it's still WIP but just wanna say it'll look a lot better with some shading too :)
Darklatias92 I really love those boomerang patterns, great improvements overall well done! I prefer the lighter colored one it just screams fairy more :D I'd say the eyes especially on the lighter one looks a bit weird though, the shape is almost a rectangle making it look like a slot machine display thing (if you get what I mean xP) err I'm actually wary suggesting any change there as it may disrupt that signature look on his face, but maybe experiment with different eye designs to see if you can make it look a bit more natural?
Felis Licht still a very cute bunny which is awesome, though honestly I like your supporting art more cause of the pose. There's not much of a fighting vibe in your colored one, which probably isn't to do with design at all but like how it's just sitting down and not really doing much if you get what I mean. I thought he also looked better with the beauty mark on which kinda looked defining, but hey that's up to you :P Or maybe try moving it to somewhere else? Otherwise cool design, I hope you'll color in the other drawing too :3
FriesforNapkins I was wondering when you'll finally post something! Nice drawing and design, but it looks very human right now and not very much fairy feel to it. May I suggest maybe shortening the arms and legs a bit, also deforming the face slightly so it looks more doll-ish than human? Maybe even give him a mouth cuz it's parting shot. It also looks very violent right now I really suggest toning it down a bit mostly cause it's a fairy type and fairies tend to be uhhh, non violent I guess :P Can't wait to see your other colors!
HeaLnDeaL I get it's a parting shot mon but IMO we tend to look at a mon by its typing before anything else, I just think the parting shot design on yours is a bit overdone it's kinda interfering with its typing. A pokemon can't do its whole movepool at once (can only do like 4 of them) so to me, it's more about making it look like he's able to learn the move, than looking like the move is a part of him. Just my thoughts anyway, and nice update! The tail fluffs make him look better but yeah, they also look a bit afterthought-ish to me. Maybe experiment having pink fur instead of brown?
macle :D :D :D
Magistrum ooh definitely use the one with the robe! I would maybe use different patterns other than spots on it though, cause for some reason it makes me think of a bug type (idk, kinda like a mushroom or ladybug or something XD) Also if you make the horns a bit bigger I think they can give the head a more distinct look and stand out more. The blade thingies on the forearms can be more defined I reckon. For the pose I think the front arm should be placed a bit higher so it doesn't obstruct some of the detail on the body. Overall great design! :D
Sunfished that's a genius concept and it screams fairy all day but I wouldn't been able to tell it's a pillow fighter till I read your description... it looks to me more like he wants a hug :P So without reading your comment I'd say maybe give it more fighting cues, or how about even just a different pose that looks less like a hug? :P idk if there's any cool looking "pillow fight stances" out there, but it might be worth looking into! Like maybe have the arms raised higher so it's like he's gonna slap you with pillows :D
ThePsychoBear wow nice designs, I definitely think the latest one is your best one so far. The typing looks fairy but it needs to look more fighting as well imo. Maybe just add stuff like bandages / boxing gloves / belts / any standard stuff like that will work. I'd also put more attention on the star patterns cause I think there can be less of them and maybe even add sparkles on some. Could also try varying up the sizes a bit so it looks more interesting :)
Yilx I love your third design too but I have a feeling it'll be a lot harder to score with it, mostly cuz the proportions or body shape reminds me of Crucibelle which you did already last time. So umm, I guess I'll talk about hobgoblin seeing how popular it is :P I think he's wearing a bit too much right now. The hat, pants, scarf and socks etc so idk... maybe see if you can merge some of that with part of his body? On second thought, I think all 3 of your designs have that kinda issue so maybe it's something to think about. Also I'd probably change the metal hanging things to some other material just to rule out any hints of steel typing. Great drawings btw and I won't mind whichever one you choose :D

That's all for now sorry I can't get to everyone =.=

Gotta say though, the stuff here is amazing and I'm so happy to be part of this!
at the same time I'm crying on the inside knowing how far I still yet to go >~<

Last edited:
WIP

Decided to get rid of the hair, because it made the top part of the design too complicated. More importantly, I changed the color scheme to a more earthen tone. I had a slip of the tongue with the previous draft of this design - it had elements of monkeys, and was not a monkey itself. Hopefully, however, the new color scheme suggests a primate more than the green did.

Still keeping the Viking helmet, though. Given the Parting Shot focus I figured it'd complete the "singing fat lady" image I was trying to invoke here. XP

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's been a while, but I found some time to sneak in a bit of supporting artwork (using moonblast).
MOD EDIT: Removed attachment. Read the OP rules on posting images.
EDIT:
The image can now be seen here: http://imgur.com/jwCOGRp

Last edited:
First time posting but have a very WIP design. I wanted to go for a monkey on a cloud type them (monkeys are fighting-ish, and deity aspect seems fairy-ish) but to differentiate it from genies I switched it to a cloud-fluff babboon (baboons are even scarier than monkeys to be fair, and fluff is fairy-ish). Anyway here's the draft, comments and critique very very welcome:

http://i.imgur.com/UCZw7bU.jpg

WIP

And arms are back on! People suggested that, and this is Fighting type after all. Same justifications as last time:

- Fairy typing comes from it being inanimate object came to life. Also it is now a gosh dang unicorn
- Fighting type come from it being a chess piece, knight (from the horse) and queen (from the piece). Also now it has arms again in a pose which tells you it is going to f u up mang
- It fits the concept with the chess aspect. Queen and Knight are both very agile pieces, both easily able to capture and make opportunities for other pieces to do their stuff.

Sgt.Moose looks so much better yay! Even still, the color scheme needs some work. I would change the colouring of the piece to be based of a white chess piece not a black, as the black brings some aspect of rock type / dark type. A White color scheme would be far more clean, less dark-type etc. I would also change the green cloud / gas to a light Pink perhaps, as it currently adds some poison type aspect? Even still, this design has been improved a lot and massive props :]

Also QxC4eva love the design, the sash seems a bit random tho, and I feel you could do more with the body shape or make it a wee bit more complex :]

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Another Update:

I tried to saturate a bit more on the colors since some people commented on its pale, muted hue. Like I said in my previous post, I don't wanna tamper any more with the horns since I'm quite settled on the shape and form, since I wanna keep them simple and could look like a bob of hair, humanshapemon-wise. (Not to mention they look like Magatama Beads that further support the special/mixed attacker in the stat subs thread)

Also some supporting art:

Just adding some character to the satyr, as in lore they are often confused with the word "satirical", so I thought, might as well add a satyrical-natured, acerbic wit to this mon!

Redid the design, switched from baboon to a lion spirit. The design is basically a forest guardian spirit type deal. It decorates it's self with flowers and wraps its hands with vines for fighting. Hopefully it conveys fighting fairy a bit better! Still super rough and WIP, haven't really used colour before so CandC welcome

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Magistrum I have to say that I am extremely pleased on how your concept is turning out. It looks like a beautiful CAP In the making. The colors and body type work very well with the given typing and I'm very excited to see your final project. Great work!

WIP

Heyo so since Parting Shot is sound based I figured I'd make a little cymbal monkey mon to lower those stats through the power of percussion.

A little worried tho that he doesn't display the typings obviously enough. Thoughts?

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Morghulis: THAT'S REALLY COOL. I REALLY LIKE THAT IDEA.
That said I'd agree that the typing doesn't show immediately, so you might want to do a few things. Understand that this is coming from the person who's art experience stopped around the 5th grade, so all of my suggestions could be off. On top of that, I'm like, not the person who drew this. Your preferences should come first because it's your art. Do what you want. It looks good already so any suggestions I make are just to improve it.

1. Reshape the upper torso to look more 'fighty'. I don't think it's a particularly bad thing that the legs hang there limply, so emphasizing the part of the design that we're naturally drawn to will help the concept be more emotive on top of saying 'hey, I hit people with my arms'. Cymbal monkeys (and pokemon, for that matter) are toys and don't need to be very naturally proportioned in the first place. You might even want to look at a bunch of old G.I. Joe action figures to make the joints look more toy-like, if you think it might suit the concept. That said, I know ball-joints and fur don't particularly play that nicely together and might just make the whole thing look slightly frankenstein's monsterish. Up to you.
2. The face is a little off compared to the standard 'Pokemon' style. I think that as it is now suits the design, but when you look at other Pokemon (Aipom comes to mind) The size of the eyes, teeth style, and general shape of the features are a bit off. Also check out the Elemental Monkey designs and the Chimchar line if you don't particularly think Aipom is the way to go. Making the face more 'cute mischievous' instead of 'creepy mischievous' would definitely help the Fairy typing be conveyed better.

That said, it's your design and it's damn good. Even if you don't take my suggestions I'm sure it'll turn out great, and I look forward to your final product!

The Steam Punk

I always thought the clown direction would be a good fit for Fairy / Fighting, but the color scheme and the fact that the arms are coming out of (what is essentially) his ears is a bit strange to me. The fact that he’s always balancing on a ball is cool though, I can imagine his in-game 3D model and how he’d always be moving.

For the color scheme, I would suggest pink and blue but it might come off as too Mr. Mime-y. Still, I do think that red and blue is a bit to garrish here.

QxC4eva

Interesting angle, a mochi bunny isn’t the first thought of many people, so pretty creative there. My problem with this design is everything seems too stubby. Stubby ears, fat face, stubby appendages, and even the hammer’s end is really short. I would say making the ears absurdly long (a la Lopunny) or give her longer, less stubby arms might help. A chubby design is fine, but with everything so stubby it feels like your Pokemon’s been squished in a vacuum.

Yilx

Definitely works. You can submit it as is and be pretty much set for a good fight in the polls. If I have to give a suggestion, I guess a more mischevious look might be good? Like right now he looks like he has the personality of a generic boxer with interesting clothing.

Morghulis

Could be a great submission if it has a better pose. I’m thinking the reverse of what you have, just have his arms up in the air with absurdly long arms (a la Vigoroth).

QxC4eva

Don't listen to the bangzats! Your chubby bunny is super alluring and looks amazing! Maybe polish it up for voting but otherwise, super kawaii! <3 My definite vote.

WIP

Hey all! Aside from my last post to reserve this design I'd been pretty inactive for a little while, but I wanted to contribute to this CAP in the Art Submissions at least, so here's my take on a design and a comment or two too!

And some variants to go along with it!

I still don't know exactly what I based this design on to be honest, Fisher Price Little People, Porcelain Dolls, and Marionettes were all used for reference... I get the impression from the Fairy types in the games right now, that the "Fairy type" is supposed to represent the idea of childlike wonder in a way, if that makes any sense...? (ex. Slurpuff line, Mr. Mime, Klefki) So I figured a toy soldier/toy prince would be an interesting design to match the Fairy/Fighting typing I guess. Any feedback would be very cool, I'm still planning on fixing up a few things if I have time before the thread's up!

Some Comments as well:

QxC4eva Hey, yeah thanks for the feedback! I think I might try to keep the proportions the same for now just for mobility's sake, all of your other points were a great help though, the fairy pointers especially! I think it looks less scary now hopefully, while still feasibly looking like a fighting type too. Oh yeah, and remembering to add a mouth helped a great deal, hah, thanks again!

Blue Frog - That is a very cool looking design! I wish I had better feedback to give but... I think the featured palette works just fine, maybe just as polish you could add a few more ribbons, or make a few of the ones already there transparent, if what you're drawing in can do that easily enough? Even without any changes, that's a perfectly nice design, best of luck!

Morghulis - I know that saying this much isn't super helpful, sorry, but I agree with Ignus's points, you might want to try experimenting with slightly more stylistic facial features, even if makes sense how it is now, pokemon with realistic attributes usually look a little out place next to their cartoon-ish brethren. That having been said, a cymbal-monkey Fighting-type pokemon is one of the single most incredible and unconventional ideas for a pokemon I've ever heard of, so please do toggle around with that design more if you've got the time, that would be an awesome CAP design in my opinion.

QxC4eva - I don't really know what to say, other than that I wish I got to this thread earlier so I could see this design progress in real time. It's so good, man! The colors and the fighting-type elements, like jeez dude. I guess as far as criticism goes, the only thing I could really add is that it's markings don't quite make sense to me in the context of the vast expanse that is pokemon science, pushes up glasses. By which I mean to ask, is the idea that the bunn is a normal enough creature with hollowed out inside parts where it produces candy fluff from? If that's the case, the markings look a little unnatural for a normal-ish pokemon's fur coloration. And if the bunn is made out of candy or somethin' up that alley, I don't quite understand why there'd be colorations on it's candy-body aside from them being sprinkles or Reeces' pieces, etc. Literally that's as minuscule a criticism as I could ever give though(especially since Slurpuff has those markings too), I look forward to your progress/Final Submission, which is gonna be impossible to compete with good luck pal!

Sgt.Moose - This is a really cool concept, dang. I could even see this working without arms like you mentioned, because Keldeo and friends function just fine as fighting types, but the current iterations still looks great to me. You might wanna try experimenting with some different colors for the chess-piece parts of the design, maybe? I think that's my main suggestion, what you have now is nice looking, but chess pieces come in all kinds of colors, you might wanna try experimenting with other colors for those parts of the body that work well with the really nice green and pink you have right now for the body and hair.

Last edited:
W.I.P

I updated my dog concept, it took a while due to Paint.net not working and me having to install Gimp instead and get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)