Data Mentoring Program Signups [ZhengTann now in Charge!]

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Frosty I'm interested in this as well, didn't see it before. Both for the high-level critique of my own play and then because who doesn't like critiquing other people's stuff hue

Program: Starting ASB
Timezone:
Eastern Standard Time (GMT -4)
ASB Experience (if any): I've reffed a couple flashmatches, and am reffing my first tower matches at the moment. But I've always had irc feedback to help. My only experience battling has been in flashes.
Why do you want to join Smogon's ASB: The underlying mechanics seem really neat and structured. I have experience with games like MtG but can't play as often as I like, so I feel asb will fill a similar niche
Why do you want to be tutored: Smash convinced me
Any extra comments about yourself: I'm not a huge fan of competitive battling, the transparency of information of ASB is nice. I'm only really active in ASB and congregation of the masses.

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
got team from smash.

Texas Cloverleaf - my plate is kinda full. I have 5 of those 202 going on right now, and they are rather time consuming. If anyone gets DQ'd (consider that a warning you people -_-, DQ is now a real possibility) then you can replace them. If not, I am afraid I can't help you for now.

Frosty

=_=
1) taking Agender Nerd . Please check the rules of the OP and PM me stating what you are interested in doing first.

2) I thought long and hard about this and I've decided to remove the Teambuilding course. It being entirely on PMs means it is hard to track and easy to john into. Most of the people I got are johning like crazy (except for Gale, I am the one johning him -_-) and without a clear end it can't be helped. Also I don't think it is accomplishing its goal.

Due to it, all Teambuilding tutorings are immediately terminated with no counters being awarded. The content should be removed from the OP by the time you check it.

YellowAdminSilver
jayelt413
Lucy Heartfillia
Gale Wing Srock

carry on.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
fwiw to the above if y'all want to continue informally I'm down to advise y'all on irc for whatever you need, theorying teams for matches and tourneys in particular is something I enjoy doing

Program: Reffing
Course: 101
Timezone: Eastern Standard (-5 GMT)
Reffing Experience (if any): I have reffed about 5 flash-matches.

Why do you want to be tutored:

I would like to be able to expand my reffing possibilities, so that I may accumulate more UC and strengthen my team.

Any extra comments about yourself:

Nothing necessary.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

Willow Wisps (Reffing 101)

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

ZhengTann

Nargacuga
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I love what Texas said above. If nothing else, at least it means I get to moan how lacking my profile is and he'll agree with me.
Timezone: Eastern Standard (-5 GMT)
Taking. I am at GMT +8. Please PM me as soon as you understand the syllabus as per OP :)

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

-

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone: GMT-8
ASB Experience: I...uh...talked a little bit on the IRC channel.
Why do I want to join Smogon ASB? In addition to maybe joining it, I also kind of play OU and use a SubPunch Dusknoir on my team. Sometimes it works (check profile message) but other times, my opponents criticize the set and say that I'm using an "unviable Pokémon", that it doesn't work, that I should just slap a Landorus-T on my team, etc.. Even high level players insulted my idea when I posted it in a thread. After that, I knew that my Smogon experience couldn't center around competitive battling as much because those people just completely turned me off to OU, so I joined the Orange Islands and eventually found this place. I want to join it because it combines the thrill of battle with the whole using your favorite Pokémon thing, and people don't laugh at each other (not in the whole "ur a bad player lol" OU way, anyway) for using some Pokémon because each one is viable.
Why I want to be tutored: As a new ASB player, I've lurked in a few battles and in the IRC chat. However, there's still a ton of questions I have left about things like using subs effectively and dealing more damage than the opponent. Basically, I've never battled, and I'm not completely sure how to win.
Any extra comments about me: I think I wrote enough about me in the above sections, lol.
I'm pretty excited about this! It's more than likely that I'll have my first battle here, which is something I'm definitely looking forward to.

Starting ASB Queue: Silver_Lucario42

Ref Queue: -

Gym Queue: -

I've been here a couple months... probably ought to sign up for something.

Timezone: PDT/GMT -8
Reffing Experience (if any): I reffed a flash one time
Why do you want to be tutored: I want to expand my reffing pool to being more than flashes so I can get more UC.
Any extra comments about yourself: Nah.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:
Earth Traveler (101)

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

Program: Gym
Gym you intend to challenge: Water Qualifiers
Difficulties you are facing: Teambuilding and matchup help
Timezone: GMT -4
Why do you want to be tutored: I'm a little rusty.
Any extra comments about yourself: Hoping to keep things light and fun and not stress too much about results this time around.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

Earth Traveler (101)

Gym Queue:
Ooraloo (Water Qualifiers)

Battling Queue:
-

Frosty

=_=
1) Taking Ooraloo. PM me with what you have so far.

2) Putting my name on the reffing 202 queue

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

- Earth Traveler (101)
- Frosty (202)

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

3) I have 1 slot for Battling 202 double and 1 for singles open. Rules can be found below.

Singles Battling 202
Target Audience:
Manager: Frosty
Tutors: Frosty (PM Frosty if you want in. Standards are high as high can be. Passing this program is pretty much a requirement, unless your record speaks for itself)
WARNING: This course isn't attached to any specific battle. This will most likely take longer than the signups period on tourneys or the DQ period to send in serious battles. If you are in a hurry, don't bother. The odds of you not finishing in time are considerable, so take it at your own peril. In other words: this will take long, very long, suck it up.
WARNING 2.0: The Manager reserves the right to outright deny entrance of players deemed not dominating the basics, as well as to give priority on the queue to players who proved themselves to be potentially better tutors after passing, provided there is a need for tutors.

Tutor and Pupil will have a match reffed by the tutor or a third party with the following rules:

3v3 Singles
ASB Arena
Strict 72h Disqualification. One warning per player. If pupil gets DQ'd twice, he can be kicked out by tutor. If tutor is DQ'd twice pupil may ask for replacement.
2 Recoveries / 5 Chills per Pokémon.
Three Substitutions per player excluding KO Substitutions.
Switch = OK
Abilities = ALL
Items = ON
Mega: One
Sendout = Pupil sends out first.

Pupil PMs Tutor, which gets the battle started (either looks for a ref or refs it himself, regardless of being white-listed or not). Then a battle is played. The twist is: any and every move made by pupil must be justified. And if the Tutor doesn't accept the justification or knows of an action-set that accomplishes the same more efficiently, he may demand the pupil to reorder, resend the team, send out a different pokemon or a different item, or to explain further his strategy, until the tutor is satisfied. Yes, this means that "surprise" won't be a good strategy to use here, simply because of how unreliable that is. The tutor won't need to justify whatever, so surprise remains a good option for him.

The need for justification begins from the sending of the team. The tutor will prepare a team beforehand and then will receive the team from the pupil. The tutor will then criticise the team chosen, considering the pool of pokemon of the tutor's profile and the potential gaps existing. The tutor will then make demands and recommendations. Demands are changes that must be done whereas recommendations are changes that may be done in the discretion of the pupil. Not all things said by the tutor should be simply implemented as is, unless said otherwise, as thinking and analysing every option is also part of the job here. After the tutor deems the team acceptable, they will pm it and theirs to the ref who will begin the battle. During the battle the same logic will happen: pupil sends mon/orders/equips/activates abilities, provides justification (even if minimum every move must be justified), tutor replies with demands and recommendations (even if the orders are spot on, they are advised to put on some recommendations, even as curve balls, so some thinking is done, although the role of the tutor is to direct the pupil to a better battling not to fool them, so bare it in mind and tread lightly), pupil changes stuff (or keep them as is, but always with justification), this goes until tutor is satisfied. Tutor will then post his orders or tag the ref to do the reffing. The reffing can only be done after the tutor allowed the ref to do so.

Terrible repetitive plays from the pupil may cause the tutor to call a DQ, with the approval of the Manager of the course This program is for mildly experienced players. If you don't much idea of how things work, then the best way to fix it is with practice, not this program. Same way: if you are bringing your A-Game, then why bother?

After taking this course, there is a 4-week cooldown before any other battling 202 course can be taken.

Payment: Tutor gets standard prizes for mons (and for reffing if that is the case) as well as 15UC for the tutoring.

Tutor and Pupil will have a match reffed by pupil, tutor or a third party with the following rules:

4v4 Doubles
ASB Arena
Strict 96h Disqualification. One warning per player. If pupil gets DQ'd twice, he can be kicked out by tutor. If tutor is DQ'd twice pupil may ask for replacement.
2 Recoveries / 5 Chills per Pokémon.
Three Substitutions per player excluding KO Substitutions.
Switch = OK
Abilities = ALL
Items = ON
Mega: One
Sendout = Tutor sends out first.

Pupil PMs Tutor, which gets the battle started (either looks for a ref or refs it himself, regardless of being white-listed or not). Then a battle is played. The twist is: any and every move made by pupil must be justified. Up to and including the pokemon sent. And if the Tutor doesn't accept the justification or knows of an action-set that accomplishes the same more efficiently, he may demand the pupil to reorder, resend the team, send out a different pokemon or a different item, or to explain further his strategy, until the tutor is satisfied. Yes, this means that "surprise" won't be a good strategy to use here, simply because of how unreliable that is. The tutor won't need to justify whatever, so surprise remains a good option for him.

Terrible repetitive plays from the pupil may cause the tutor to call a DQ, with the approval of the Manager of the course. This program is for mildly experienced players. If you don't much idea of how things work, then the best way to fix it is with practice, not this program. Same way: if you are bringing your A-Game, then why bother?

After taking this course, there is a 4-week cooldown before any other battling 202 course can be taken.

Payment: Tutor gets standard prizes for mons (and for reffing if that is the case) as well as 18UC for the tutoring. Pupil gets standard counters

The difference is that this time the size of the team was reduced. Singles is now 3vs3 and doubles 4vs4. Testing to see how it goes with a smaller team.

Texas Cloverleaf has priority, should he wish to take one of those. Aside from here, contact me on VM or convo or irc if you have interest. I will pick one for each format only.

Frosty

=_=
This works.

Slots taken. Carry on.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

- Earth Traveler (101)
- Frosty (202)

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'll take your 202, Frosty. I may be a little slow these first two weeks, but I hate to see you rot in the queue. Will send in later today or tomorrow.

Taking Earth Traveler for reffing 101. Tag me when you've chosen a battle, or hit me up on IRC if you need help finding one.

Starting ASB Queue:
-

Reffing Queue:

-

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Program: ref stuff
Zone: GMT -8
EXP: 0 (8 to next level)
Y tho: for the UC Reffing looks pretty cool (writing flavor is fun too) and the pay is nice. I also like math, which is used in reffing, and it reduces the waiting time for other stuff.

Course: Reffing 101
Timezone: Pacific Time
Reffing Experience (if any): None.
Why do you want to be tutored: So I don't ruin any battles that I ref in the future.
Any extra comments about yourself: No.

Timezone:
UTC -5/GMT -4

ASB Experience (if any): I registered on ASB a bit over a year ago I believe, did a few battles (2-3) but then life being life I had to stop to focus on real life stuff (eww)

Why do you want to join Smogon's ASB: I really like roleplay in its every aspects, and love Pokemon, so what better than ASB! I feel it's also very unique and can offer more diversity than classic battling.

Why do you want to be tutored: I have forgotten pretty much everything about ASB since I left. Even deleted my profile to start anew and reread the rules, so just to get a headstart into the game

Any extra comments about yourself: I guess I can safely say I'm a pretty jolly person and I'm kind towards people, especially thise who help me :P Also I have no problem with criticism, which is important to be mentored.

Whoah, sorry for the novel guys XD Hope someone's gonna come up, really excited to take on ASB again :P
Starting ASB Queue:
-
TorterraX

Reffing Queue:
-

Gym Queue:
-

Battling Queue:
-

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)