ORAS UU First time getting into competitive battling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have decided to try my hand at competitive battling and have created a team centered around Roserade that I would like to battle with. I was hoping people could take a look at it and give me advice on how to improve the team.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Dazzling Gleam

I love Roserade and want to find a way to use it on my team. Roserade will but used as a special attacker that hopefully will be able to set up Toxic Spikes.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

I have added Swampert as I think it works well with Roserade countering a couple of its weaknesses as Roserade does for it. I added Roar to take advantage of Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Roost

I added Hydreigon as a special sweeper and thought it worked well with Roserade because of its ability to remove Fairies.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Superpower

Darmanitan acts as a physical attacker.

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball

Chandelure was added as a rapid spin blocker as well as because this set up works well with Roserade.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse

I added Ampharos to work with Darmanitan through Volt Switch and U-Turn. Also I decided to go with a defensive set-up as I believed its something my team was lacking. Rest was added so it could work with Toxic Spikes, stalling as my opponents Pokemon are drained.

Last edited:
First of all, you should run a relaxed nature over impish nature on swampert, as you do not want the power of scald to be lowered, and swampert doesn't need speed unless it's mega. Second of all, you have to add descriptions to each mon, or else the thread will get locked. Hope I helped! :)

First of all, you should run a relaxed nature over impish nature on swampert, as you do not want the power of scald to be lowered, and swampert doesn't need speed unless it's mega. Second of all, you have to add descriptions to each mon, or else the thread will get locked. Hope I helped! :)
Okay thanks a lot for the information. I will add descriptions now :)

Welcome to UU! It's a fun tier to play!

Just a few pointers..

1. Have you tried Sp Def Roserade > Offensive Roserade? It'll have great synergy with M-Amphy and Swampert. I would recommend Calm Nature with Toxic Spikes/Sludge Bomb/Giga Drain/Leech Seed. You could opt for Sleep Powder, as well.
2. For Hydreigon, I'm not sure why you picked Hasty nature. It lowers its defense for no real purpose. I recommend the following set:

Hydreigon@Life Orb
Timid Nature
252 Sp Attack/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed
-Taunt
-Roost
-Dark Pulse
-Draco Meteor

This is a great stallbreaker, that shuts down common hazard setting leads.

3. I like Darmanitan, but it is outpaced by several mons. I would recommend a different mon in this case (with Chandelure changing, as well). You could have a Wish Passer, Defogger, or even a wall breaker like CM Reuniclus. It isn't reliant on hazard removal, and can sweep very easily.

4. For Chandelure, I would recommend having it double as both a spin blocker and Defog blocker. You will find this set to be a better fit for your team.

Chandelure@ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature
-Trick
-Memento
-
Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball

You'll see in this set, the goal is to cripple Sp Def walls that would try to switch in (Blissey, Florges, Snorlax, etc...), while Memento can block Defog/Spinners with no problem. You can adjust the speed/bulk, but personally I prefer 252 Sp Attack/ 4 Sp Def/ 252 Speed. Please remember that this will not be able to check M-Beedrill or M-Scept.

I do like M-Amphy in that last spot as it is a great pivot into water/fire/grass/electric types.

Overall, not too bad for your first team!

Welcome to UU! It's a fun tier to play!

Just a few pointers..

1. Have you tried Sp Def Roserade > Offensive Roserade? It'll have great synergy with M-Amphy and Swampert. I would recommend Calm Nature with Toxic Spikes/Sludge Bomb/Giga Drain/Leech Seed. You could opt for Sleep Powder, as well.
2. For Hydreigon, I'm not sure why you picked Hasty nature. It lowers its defense for no real purpose. I recommend the following set:

Hydreigon@Life Orb
Timid Nature
252 Sp Attack/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed
-Taunt
-Roost
-Dark Pulse
-Draco Meteor

This is a great stallbreaker, that shuts down common hazard setting leads.

3. I like Darmanitan, but it is outpaced by several mons. I would recommend a different mon in this case (with Chandelure changing, as well). You could have a Wish Passer, Defogger, or even a wall breaker like CM Reuniclus. It isn't reliant on hazard removal, and can sweep very easily.

4. For Chandelure, I would recommend having it double as both a spin blocker and Defog blocker. You will find this set to be a better fit for your team.
Chandelure@ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
-Trick
-Memento
-
Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball

You'll see in this set, the goal is to cripple Sp Def walls that would try to switch in (Blissey, Florges, Snorlax, etc...), while Memento can block Defog/Spinners with no problem. You can adjust the speed/bulk, but personally I prefer 252 Sp Attack/ 4 Sp Def/ 252 Speed. Please remember that this will not be able to check M-Beedrill or M-Scept.

I do like M-Amphy in that last spot as it is a great pivot into water/fire/grass/electric types.

Overall, not too bad for your first team!
Thanks a lot for your suggestions! I'm going to make a lot of these changes to my team :)

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello Oshawott888 , and welcome to Smogon!

Unfortunately, this RMT is currently not following the rules which can be found in the RMT Resource Thread; specifically, this thread violates rule #4, because you lack sufficient descriptions for each Pokemon on your team. As such, I am afraid that I will have to lock this thread for the time being. If you would like this thread to be reopened, feel free to PM me with your updated RMT, and I would be happy to reopen this thread for you. If you need help making an RMT up to the required standards, I recommend that you carefully read the RMT Resource Thread and check out other RMTs from the Team Showcase and RMT Archive for some examples.

Good luck with your team, and have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)