CAP 22 CAP 22 - Part 5 - Stat Spread Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I came to this thread right now with the intent of fleshing out my submission more. However, before I got to that, I decided to read the other posts, and now I have decided that I am no longer going to make a final submission, because Korski's spread does nearly every single thing I wanted for this Pokemon, and is already explained so well. I am in complete agreement that we have absolutely no need to go mixed for Chansey alone. As Korski has shown, Colossoil can still easily be handled with a special attacker, and there are many other ways to deal with the fat pink blob. No other Pokemon that we really care about is not handled by a special attacker, and beyond that one case, going mixed only weakens our sets and distracts from our goals. And, as shown in Korski's calcs, even Chansey has to be wary of the Specs Focus Blast.

The offensive level is exactly what I think we need, and the bulk that is very threatened by powerful priority but high enough not to make us too frail to switch into things we want to check. And I am in complete agreement with Korski that Cawmodore needs to be an exception, who can destroy us if set up, but should not be able to do so otherwise, and so avoiding the 2HKO from its weak unboosted bullet punch is key.

While there are certainly a few ways where a spread I might have submitted would have been different than Korski's, I feel that mine would have been very similar, for many of the exact same reasons, and so I would rather put my support behind his spread than spend time trying to compete with it.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Korski: I had a feeling there was going to be at least one submitter that felt that AV Colossoil and Chansey are not as problematic as they're made out to be, which is definitely not a bad thing. By not having to run a Naive or Hasty nature on CAP 22, your spread is bulkier than it looks at first glance, and your calculations appear to hit the mark. The possibility of Choice Specs did raise an eyebrow, though, as being a purely special attacker turns this into a more viable choice. Choice Specs doesn't even lessen the ability to use Parting Shot that much, as Sylveon frequently ran Baton Pass on its Specs set back in the day, and Volkraken often uses U-turn on its Specs set today. Lowering the Speed to 120 makes it harder to take advantage of Specs, though being slower than Torn-T is something I'm a tad iffy about. Like HeaL, I'll be much more inclined to support this spread if you can explain why being slower than Torn-T is not a big problem.
Before I explain this, I should say I really wouldn't mind outspeeding Tornadus-T if that's the sort of Speed we end up with; in fact, I originally intended on doing just that before I decided to drop the Speed in favor of a more balanced spread. But in response: AV Tornadus-T is a nearly perfectly-designed offensive pivot whose viability rests solely on being a blanket switch-in and check against Special offensemons. A Pokemon that is able to both outspeed and 2HKO it with neutral base 95 special attacks would raise some red flags right away for me (Mega Alakazam is the only thing outside of Ubers that can actually do this), and I would expect such a role-breaking Pokemon to be either a Choice Scarf user or Mega Evolution or at the very least be weak to hazards and/or have wet-paper-towl defenses, anything to compensate for being so absurdly powerful (this is before even considering whether or not the Poke can go mixed offensively or tank hits). For the sake of balance, I would rather focus on being a guaranteed threat to the Pokes that are already on our "threaten" list than risk overpowering the CAP in order to add one more thing to that list, however frustrating it may be that that Poke is so good at what it does.

That's not to say my spread outright loses if there's a Torn-T on the opposing team. Stealth Rock really messes with AV Torn's ability to do its job, and it will be taking 69 - 77% on the switch-in from my spread's LO Moonblast if SR is up, or 76 - 85% from Specs; in both cases, it can't switch into Moonblast twice, Regenerator be damned. I should also point out that many of the calcs in stat spread submissions (including my own) are predominantly best-case scenarios where Stealth Rock is down and the boosting item is never Knocked Off and the CAP user has the momentum and is predicting perfectly. We all know that none of those things are a given in any battle, so it is worth looking into how reliant submissions are on these variables to live up the the claims of their submitters. In the case of no Stealth Rock and/or no item and/or Torn switching into a resisted Fighting STAB (all plausible and likely common scenarios), Tornadus-T will be beating this CAP no matter which spread wins the poll, and as a reminder you still retain the option at any time to predict the switch-in and Parting Shot away. So we must prioritize our goals, and in the case of my submission I prioritized being able to switch into Dark STABs and remain offensively threatening afterward while retaining some semblance of overall balance over stopping Tornadus-T from doing the specific job it is optimized to do.

Some comments for other submissions:

Alfalfa I don't really see anything wrong with 112 Spe, and of all the "mixed" spreads (I will explain the quote marks in a sec) I think this one is the most thoughtful and the least-overwhelmingly powerful. It would play nearly identically to Thundurus (actually the stats are nearly identical), trading in Prankster Thunder Wave and Nasty Plot for Parting Shot and a resistance to SR, making it very strong but not unstoppable by CAP meta standards. But man, our movepool is going to have to be pretty darn shallow if anybody's going to run Naive Close Combat on that thing, and this goes for pretty much all of these 115+ SpA / 110+ Spe spreads (hence the quote marks). The only reason I can think of to go mixed with such superior special sweepiness would be to use Knock Off specifically or some sort of coverage move that helps get past our most obvious counters (basically Thundurus's mixed set, or Tornadus-T's).

Deck Knight I think this is actually the most abusable Choice Specs spread of all the subs, and yet it has no Specs calcs! Yes, we are invited to do our own sub-calcs based off the LO calcs, but I think it would be nice if we were given a less-opaque idea of exactly how very fast and very strong the CAP would be with Specs equipped (consider maybe the first paragraph of this post). And I think if Alfalfa's spread is unlikely to run a mixed set, this spread is a definite no on that front, not with 85 Atk, not with 120 SpA / 125 Spe, and not with actually a good enough PT rating to survive Offensive Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch 100% of the time from full health (I think that's intentional, though: max damage roll vs. 0/0 CAP=308, CAP HP=309). Overall I think this spread is very very powerful and could end up with very few true checks or counters, especially if somehow it gains incentive to run mixed offenses and thus a diversity of viable sets. I'm not quite sure how to feel about it yet, and I'd like to hear what others think about it.

Elite Lord Sigma the BST and BSR say it all: this spread is pretty nuts. I love that there is a 136 Spe submission (and was hoping there would be), but this needs to be cut back significantly somewhere or I don't think it will even be slated.

Agile Turtle I appreciate the approach to this submission and think it is a noble goal to design a more support-oriented CAP, but I just shudder at the thought of another 600 BST CAP, especially one that somehow doesn't really stand out in any single area despite all those stats and such a high BSR. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how exactly the CAP would be played with these stats, so maybe you could shed some light on this for me (I doubt I'm alone on this, and before you say it, yes, I did read the entire submission).

boxofkangaroos this spread is very similar to Deck Knight's and a lot of my comments there apply here as well. Deck himself also made a good point about the viability of running a +Atk or +SpA nature on 126 Spe and still sitting at a great speed tier, and the Atk stat makes a mixed set actually seem plausible, which would make this spread far and away the strongest of the bunch. This is mitigated somewhat by the lower defenses, so it's unclear if this is more of a revenge killer, a late-game cleaner, or an actual pivot that can switch directly into battle. Add some Specs calcs and some +nature calcs and maybe a couple Modest Specs calcs and it'll give everyone a clearer idea of why those poor defenses are more of a balancing factor than a weakness.

Aubisio This submission is pretty much only calcs so it's hard to really comment on it except it looks like it falls into the same trap of running a mixed set in theory only. If I had a better idea of the thought process here I'd have a better impression of how it's supposed to work out in battle, but at first glance it looks like it will be a bit underwhelming in practice. CAP could run Modest and get what is essentially a 131 SpA stat with a Speed higher than base 110s but just shy of Thundurus, which is still a great speed tier and should be acknowledged with calcs and justification in the final sub.

HeaLnDeaL, Blackdrakon30 I feel like these are the SSB Mario of submissions in the thread: middle-ground across the board, perfectly adequate, workable-but-unspecialized. They probably have the best balance out of all the submissions, which unfortunately makes them the least exciting. I do again doubt that they can viably go mixed, as CAP would be either forced to split EVs or devote an entire moveslot to basically one-and-a-half Pokemon. Still, I think they would work out fine, although I would seriously fear switching into Knock Off and losing my boosting item with those lower SpA stats.

I know I keep harping on Knock Off but switching into Dark-types is literally like the one defensive thing we are requiring this Pokemon to do, so I think the submissions that aren't posting any item-less calcs should provide justification for how they envision the CAP should be played without switching directly into Dark-types.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As far as not having broken out Specs calcs, call that calc fatigue at the time. I'm working on them now since we had a few more days than I thought we might.

In any case "We can beat Chansey with Specs" is a really, really specious claim. 99% of the time Chansey is going to switch in when it predicts Moonblast and not Aura Sphere or Focus Blast. And btw. only Focus Blast will ever break through Softboiled. Here's the Specs Calc on Chansey for STAB moves on my spread (120 Base Max Investment Neutral Nature):

252 SpA Choice Specs Pangoro Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 284-336 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Pangoro Aura Sphere vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 188-224 (29.2 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Pangoro Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 112-133 (17.4 - 20.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

I mean, there are options in Movepool where we can simply remove Eviolite with proper prediction, but personally I'd rather we remain true to our threatlist and neutralize Chansey without being Choice-locked into a 70% Accurate move.

I also want to point out that our threatlist is somewhat contradictory in that not losing to passive mons and being "weak to priority" are mutually exclusive. Hippowdon and TankChomp's STAB EQs (and Skarm Brave Bird/Iron Head which are actually SE) are inherently stronger than even Mega Meta and Scizor's ability boosted priority. Capably handling the former invariably means making the latter excellent chipping options, but not direct OHKOs. Mega-Meta uses Meteor Mash, Mega-Scizor just tries to outlast, which is why I don't really care about Offensive Mega Scizor (I calced Bulky Scizor. It's a much bigger threat as the Usage Calcs have Bulky M-Scizor builds at over 60%. Good old fashioned CB Scizor cleanly OHKOs with Bullet Punch). The calculation was incidental (it's also why CAP survives Skarm Brave Bird, because the attacks are basically equal strength), but all it really means is that Life Orb recoil claims you or you get off a Specs Aura Sphere or whatever. Either way staying in against Mega Scizor if you aren't going to KO it is still dumb, you're trading 1 for 1 at best.

Korski I have not mentioned other options besides Naive Close Combat because I was going to leave such stuff to the movepool phase. I have been already been thinking about other options besides Naive Close Combat, but I have not mentioned them in my submission because such options deserve discussion that is meant to be discussed in the movepool phase and not when we are talking about stat spreads.

WIP:

80 HP/106 Atk/76 Def/122 SpAtk/72 SpDef/126 Speed

PS: 178.95

4 Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 338-400 (87.5 - 103.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Colossoil: 463-549 (98.5 - 116.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 468-554 (72.8 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Malaconda: 533-632 (122.8 - 145.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Naviathan: 276-328 (67.3 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Life Orb burned CAP Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Naviathan: 138-164 (33.6 - 40%) -- 26.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Colossoil: 382-452 (93.8 - 111%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Malaconda: 463-546 (106.6 - 125.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 642-759 (100 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 406-478 (63.2 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Naviathan: 374-445 (91.2 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Mega Sableye: 276-328 (90.7 - 107.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Infernape Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arghonaut: 382-452 (92.2 - 109.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Revenankh: 398-471 (103.6 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 237-281 (56.4 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb CAP Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 283-335 (68.5 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Our Speed is build so that we can outspeed base 110 Pokemon without having to invest in nature.
The basic mixed set of this thing will probably be either 252+ SpAtk and 4 Atk or 252+ Atk and 4 SpAtk, so i did relevant calcs for both. With this spread, you can get the 2HKO on Calm Mind Naviathan even with the min Attack without having to risk a miss that makes you unable to get through, even if after the first attack you get burnt. It also makes Close Combat a 2HKO on Chansey after Rocks even if it chooses to Softboil stall. Max Attack gives us some very relevant Play Rough OHKOs, as well as clinching an OKHO from Close Combat on Chansey. It also makes it so that Drain Punch isn't completely useless in case we decide at movepool that that's going to be our solution to the problem that we need good healing to be a pivot, but we can't really stop to get healing.

PT: 110.73
0 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 234-276 (77.7 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 302-356 (100.3 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
8 Atk Talonflame Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 254-300 (84.3 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 428-506 (142.1 - 168.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
52+ Atk Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 52-61 (17.2 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Syclant Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 76-89 (25.2 - 29.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Syclant U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 33-39 (10.9 - 12.9%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 70-83 (23.2 - 27.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 29-34 (9.6 - 11.2%) -- possible 9HKO after Stealth Rock
4 Atk Life Orb Tornadus-T U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP: 21-25 (6.9 - 8.3%) -- possibly the worst move ever (That's literally what the damage calculator told me)

The Health gets us to a clean 301, which not only lets us take 3 Seismic Tosses, but is also a relevant Life Orb number.
So basically, this physical spread is here to reconcile the fact that we're supposed to be good against needlessly passive mons, but we're still supposed to lose to Talonflame and Mega-Scizor, which can both be ridiculously good passive mons when you build them that way. Basically, we at least get damage off on really passive sets, while dying to any set with even a hint of aggression to them. I also showed a bunch of calcs that basically reflect that we have enough bulk on this set to switch into resisted hits well enough to function as a pivot.

SS: 218.39
4 SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 390-460 (94.2 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 437-515 (104 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 218-257 (52.6 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Heatran: 398-471 (103.1 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Colossoil: 382-452 (93.8 - 111%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 88 SpD Arghonaut: 398-468 (96.1 - 113%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Mega Sableye: 307-367 (100.9 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Arghonaut: 276-328 (66.6 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 281-330 (43.7 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Malaconda: 330-390 (76 - 89.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Malaconda: 260-307 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb CAP Focus Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Naviathan: 517-611 (126 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Basically, even at min SpAtk, we get our Tomohawk and Cyclohm kills. At max SpAtk, we almost always kill Colossoil and Heatran with Focus Blast (we only fail on Focus Miss). In addition, we kill non-AV Arghonaut and Mega-Sableye with Moonblast.

ST: 107.10
252 SpA Mollux Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 390-458 (129.5 - 152.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Plasmanta Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 320-380 (106.3 - 126.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP in Sun: 412-486 (136.8 - 161.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 258-306 (85.7 - 101.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+3 252 SpA Syclant Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD CAP: 109-129 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Thankfully, there are nearly no special moves we actually want to switch into, so that makes it pretty easy to set the bar low enough that our counters can get in their knocks. I did set it so that CAP can take Bug Buzzes from Syclant even after Tail Glow, since Bug Buzz should be a switch in opportunity for us. Note that while Paleo Wave is actually a move we would normally want to be able to switch into, Stratagem just outspeeds us and kills us with Earth Power if we choose to take one.

BSR: 339.24

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We're getting some final subs and some discussion within this thread. That's what I like to see!

With that in mind, I'll issue a 40-hour warning. Submissions will close on Friday, July 29, at 8 AM EST. Please shoot me a PM either here or on Showdown if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For all the stat spreads with speed above 115 or 120 (which is almost all of them) -- I'm having a hard time seeing why the speed needs to be so high. Raw speed above 120 is overkill for our defined threat list, from what I can see.

The fastest stuff we need to outspeed are the 110 Latis and such. And the argument that we need 126 speed to beat those without a Speed+ nature is specious, particularly when our SpAtk stat is high enough to threaten those mons with SE STAB without a SpAtk+ nature. And we're not bulky enough to want to run a defensive nature. So, like most "fast mons" I'm pretty much assuming we'll be running a Speed+ nature.

The main arguments for 120+ speed seem to be centered around outspeeding Cawmodore and Tornadus-T. For the life of me, I can't see how CAP 22 is going to do anything to those pokemon, except die -- regardless of speed.

So what am I missing? I don't battle much these days, so please help me understand why most of the speed numbers in this thread are through the roof.

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
For all the stat spreads with speed above 115 or 120 (which is almost all of them) -- I'm having a hard time seeing why the speed needs to be so high. Raw speed above 120 is overkill for our defined threat list, from what I can see.

The fastest stuff we need to outspeed are the 110 Latis and such. And the argument that we need 126 speed to beat those without a Speed+ nature is specious, particularly when our SpAtk stat is high enough to threaten those mons with SE STAB without a SpAtk+ nature. And we're not bulky enough to want to run a defensive nature. So, like most "fast mons" I'm pretty much assuming we'll be running a Speed+ nature.

The main arguments for 120+ speed seem to be centered around outspeeding Cawmodore and Tornadus-T. For the life of me, I can't see how CAP 22 is going to do anything to those pokemon, except die -- regardless of speed.

So what am I missing? I don't battle much these days, so please help me understand why most of the speed numbers in this thread are through the roof.
"we should try to confine our checks and counters to ensure that they are affected negatively by Parting Shot." That's how it's ended the Threats Discussion, so if someone can beat CAP22, we MUST hit him with PS, the only exceptions are priority users. Also its threatlist doesn't include Flying types.
In the end, as a support pokémon (see Natural Cure), is perfectly normal reducing the enemy Atk/SpA for helping the next teammate.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

What you are missing regarding Cawmodore is that outspeeding it allows pretty much every spread here to OHKO it with Focus Blast, which means Cawmdore has to find another mon to set up on. So uhh yeah, CAP22 can and will do more to Caw than just die if CAP22 outspeeds it.

Regarding Torn-T, outspeeding it relies of it somehow switching into a moonblast, taking rocks damage, forcing CAP out, and rinse and repeat throughout the match. Essentially, it's a very shakey argument. Yes, outspeeding Torn-T puts *more* pressure on it than not outspeeding it. But in a wide wide array of situations, it still won't be enough pressure to actually beat it. And so I completely agree that we have no business outspeeding Torn-T. Furthermore, I very much *want* Torn-T to counter us, since having a healthy amount of viable counters is good, and if one of the top few Flying spam users in the metagame can't counter a frailish fighting type, then I fear that we won't have a healthy amount of counters.

For what it's worth, I also wouldn't say by any means that outspeeding 110 is as high as we should go. Before we get to even Cawmodore's speed, there's the likes of Serperior and Mega Crucibelle to consider. Being able to threaten Serperior offensively is pretty nice (since we can't parting shot it), and dissuading Crucibelle from switching into us and being able to outspeed and parting shot it if it gets in for free are fairly pro-concept ideas (outspeeding Mega Cruci gives us another viable target for us to use parting shot against, which is a fairly crucial thing since even a lot of mons that resist Cruci's moves still don't appreciate switching in, and the deflated hit after parting shot makes the switch less costly).

For these reasons, I believe our most comfortable speed range is anything from 115 to 120. So, I guess I *partly* agree with Doug, at least when it comes to over 120.

Snobalt asked me to add in a couple of more calcs, which I did. I would hold finalizing my submission for another day, but I have a plane to meet tomorrow morning and am uncertain on whether or not I can access the internet tomorrow afternoon/evening. I might be able to talk to Snobalt tomorrow night about anything else, but I am still finalizing my submission.

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Gotta say that the 120-and-below crowd has done a solid job explaining why they think not outspeeding Torn-T is no big deal. I'll leave that as a discussion point for the 122-and-above crowd, as I would like to see justification from all sides: why do you find outspeeding Tornadus-T to be necessary?

Korski also made a good point that because CAP 22 will be switching into Knock Off, it will often not have its Life Orb. Thus, if you haven't already, I'd like to see some offensive calculations without a boosting item. Are your offensive stats still enough, even taking into account less-than-favorable situations such as that?

More comments too.

Elite Lord Sigma: Much better. The low Special Attack is balanced out by the high Speed, as you can run a positive nature in either one and still be able to hit the benchmarks that you may desire. Definitely a more versatile spread, and I'd really like to see you expand on the justification over the next 36 hours.

boxofkangaroos: The PT justification is definitely better. However, I've noticed that your calcs largely fail to take Stealth Rock into account, which proves critical in some situations, such as against Sp. Def. Talonflame and defensive Tomohawk. Not sure if that's intentional or not, as CAP 22 will more than likely need entry hazard removal support regardless. Yours is also the most specially frail, especially considering you're anticipating a Naive nature. We're plenty threatened by those Poison- and Fire-types already; I don't see why there's a need to drop the SpD too low, especially considering losing that hard to Clefable's Moonblast is not a good thing for CAP 22.

Aubisio: It still looks promising but largely unfinished. As Korski said, you provide calcs but really fail to expand on them. The stuff you say, such as "we live Weavile's strongest attack," isn't much more than I can figure out by looking at the calcs. Beef up your descriptions and get cracking on making some calcs with Close Combat and the like.

willow616: Don't hesitate; it looks like you have something started. At a cursory glance, though, it looks far too bulky and far too slow. If you intend to finish, you have 39 hours to do so, and it seems like it needs a fair bit of work.

Pika Xreme: Similar deal as above; it appears far too bulky to be reasonably threatened by priority attackers. I also don't understand the huge HP stat along with the lower defensive stats. You also need far more offensive calcs and should justify your Speed; why should we Speed tie (and not outspeed) those base 110 Pokemon, such as Latios and Latias?

NumberCruncher: "boxofkangaroos on steroids" is probably the most accurate description of this spread. It's easily the most powerful current spread, more so than ELS's previous one imo. It's glass cannon powerful, and that's not a good thing. OHKOing Chansey with a +252 Close Combat appears to be what the 106 Attack benchmark was intended for, and I highly doubt that's something we need to be doing. Same thing with OHKOing Mega Sableye with a +252 Moonblast; I can't envision a non-desperation scenario where a Mega Sableye user would let it eat Moonblast just to Knock Off CAP 22's Life Orb. The frailty concerns I have with boxofkangaroos's spread also resonate somewhat here; in addition, I'd like to see some more calcs regarding special attacks. What do you plan to do about the likes of Keldeo and defensive Tomohawk, for instance? But seriously, I recommend shaving off a little bit of power, as you're severely riding the BSR limit and there are plenty of viable non-abusive spreads out there.

To those who know me, hello again!

I'm entering a stat spread that at first glance looks ill-conceived and weak but I hope that my mountain of calcs and some solid arguments will change your minds. First, I'd like to blow air up my butt by reciting some feedback I got before posting. I think you will find as you read through this stat submission how apt it is.

#HeaLnDeaL: the spread seems very interesting, certainly nothing like it exists currently, so I think it would stand out (and standing out is a good thing at this point)

The stats:

Stats: 106/95/85/95/75/136

PT: 148.4
ST: 134.2
PS: 160.3
SS: 163.6
BSR 333.7

Speed:

Let's start with the speed stat. 136 is exceptionally high and higher than every other distribution submitted thus far. After some cursory reading and research of my own I've determined that given the parameters we should be looking to make parting shot the #1 choice, otherwise we're not doing the concept justice. The common theme thus far is overpowering offensive pressure to force switches and deceitfully parting shot out the free switch to allow for something to set up something. I agree, to an extent. You don't want to pigeonhole yourself into a one trick pony and you ought to be able to do some damage; but that's just it: you ought to be able to do only some damage and not outright maul your opponents. Otherwise parting shot isn't a last act of defiance, it's simply overpowered/meh. I envisioned this mon as something that's a jack of all trades (offensively) but master of none. Here is the following list of relevant threats it outspeeds at max base 136, which is 408 speed with a 252+ investment:

Talonflame (sans Gale Wings)
Tornadus-T
Pidgeot-Mega
Alakazam
Hawlucha
Starmie
Thundurus
Metagross-Mega
Gengar
Gallade-Mega
Latias
Latios
Diancie-Mega
Cawmodore
Crucibelle-Mega
Kitsunoh

Lopunny-Mega (sans Quick Attack)
Manectric-Mega
Weavile (sans Ice Shard)
Raikou
Serperior
Stratagem (sans Vacuum Wave)
Syclant (sans Ice Shard)

(Also fun note, it outspeeds Shaymin-S and Lucario-Mega as well, which although are currently ubers I think should be allowed in CAP tier)

The list of threats above has a minimum 110 base stat limit for relevancy; all those bolded have stab super effective typing. A point Deck Knight made previously is that having such a high base speed entails you don't need to run max investments in it. I tend to agree and value the inherent speed over the inherent raw power for two reasons:

1. Lacking the raw power most other spreads have requires you to use Life Orb or some other offensive item to account for the lack of power, creating a fair sense of sacrifice that works around Parting Shot instead of at Parting Shot. You still have enough power to threaten and clean up but you're not hitting the benchmarks of sweeper or wallbreaker.

2. Such inherent speed means the utility of Parting Shot is much more bountiful than a lower base speed. You can fine tune your CAP according to your needs, allowing for it to ultimately maximize Parting Shot while still being a threatening teammate.

Due to the above logic I am going to thoroughly identify three different EV builds which justify this spread as being more than capable and entirely flexible. It may seem lacklustre at first, but I think you'll agree that looks can be deceiving.

3-in-1 CAP!:

CAP22 @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk/Def/SpA / 60 Spe
Naive Nature

CAP22 @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk/Def/SpA / 156 Spe
Naive Nature

CAP22 @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk/SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature

- High Jump Kick
- Play Rough
- Moon Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Coverage]

Keep in mind these are the moves/calc set up I am pulling calcs from. This is NOT an actual competitive set, just competitive EVs. There are three portions below, each one is under a hide so you can either take a brief read of what it does or look at the nerdy wall of calcs.

Counters:

First, let's start with its tankiness. 106/85/75 is a relatively average defense; with or without EVs this CAP fails to take special hits well, and most checks and counters can OHKO it on the special end. On the other hand, it has surprisingly durable physical bulk, with a surprising difference being seen between the base 60, 156, and max 252 speed sets. Ghost, Poison, Psychic, Flying all do a great job at either walling hits, OHKO or both. The hide below concludes that the following mon are hard counters: Auruamoth, Kitsunoh, Mollux, Gengar, Scolipede, Amoonguss, Volcarona, Starmie, Talonflame, Charizard-Y, Venusaur-Mega, Diancie-Mega, Crucibelle, Crucibelle-Mega

Counters all EVs:

Auruamoth
252+ SpA Life Orb Aurumoth Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 549-650 (131.9 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Kitsunoh
Kitsunoh Will-O-Wisp vs. Magikarp: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- nice move
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Kitsunoh: 77-91 (21.1 - 25%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
Mollux
252+ SpA Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 486-572 (116.8 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Scarf)
Venosaur-Mega
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 438-516 (105.2 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 324-384 (77.8 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 61-73 (16.8 - 20.1%) -- possible 5HKO
Gengar
wrecks you lol
Scolipede
252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 354-421 (85 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Scolipede Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 289-343 (69.4 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Volcarona
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 123-146 (37.3 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 262-309 (62.9 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 149-177 (45.2 - 53.7%) -- 42.6% chance to 2HKO
Charizard-Y
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp in Sun: 442-522 (106.2 - 125.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (lol wrecks you)
Talonflame
lol gg wrecks you
Starmie
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 452-533 (108.6 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
120 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 165-195 (63.7 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Diancie-Mega
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Diancie: 161-191 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 165-196 (68.4 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
224 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 504-594 (121.1 - 142.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Crucibelle
252 Atk Life Orb Crucibelle Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 408-484 (98 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle: 247-292 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Crucibelle-Mega
252 Atk Mega Crucibelle Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 372-440 (89.4 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Checks:

The hard counters aforementioned can take on all EV spreads no matter what. This batch of Pokemon aren't as surefire counters and can lose 1v1 match ups, get hammered on switch-ins, or be revenge killed after taking modest damage.

These Pokemon can beat CAP22 however may fail to switch in or lose to one of the spreads as opposed to the others.

Good to all: Pyroak, Tornadus-T, Band Scizor, Offensive Scizor-Mega, AV Metagross
Loses to all: Volcanion, Heatran, Tomohawk, Lopunny-Mega, Gallade-Mega, Latios, Latias
Loses to 60ev sets: Charizard-X, Cawmodore, Plasmanta, Pinsir-Mega, SD Scizor, SD Scizor-Mega, Metagross-Mega, Ferrothorn
Loses to 156 ev sets: Syclant, Pidgeot-Mega, Hawlucha, Alakazam, Raikou, Serperior, Plasmanta
Lose to 252 ev sets: Syclant, Pidgeot-Mega, Hawlucha, Alakazam, Raikou, Serperior, Manectric-Mega

Volcanion
196 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 181-214 (49.7 - 58.7%) -- 71.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Volcanion Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 306-360 (73.5 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Charizard-X
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 185-218 (62.2 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 354-417 (85 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Heatran
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 330-393 (85.4 - 101.8%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 372-438 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (offensive)
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 330-393 (102.1 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 372-438 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO (scarf)
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 28 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 330-393 (100 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Cawmodore
+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 384-452 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Magikarp: 414-488 (99.5 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252 Atk Cawmodore Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 474-558 (113.9 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cawmodore: 204-242 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Crucibelle: 220-261 (62.1 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Plasmanta
196 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Plasmanta: 265-317 (101.1 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (offensive)
252 SpA Life Orb Plasmanta Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 572-678 (137.5 - 162.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Pyroak
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pyroak: 175-207 (39.5 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tomohawk
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 307-367 (74.1 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 374-439 (90.3 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Tomohawk Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 258-306 (62 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Pinsir-Mega
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 182-216 (43.7 - 51.9%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 360-426 (86.5 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 444-524 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 140-165 (51.6 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Scizor
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 372-438 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 300-354 (72.1 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 44 Atk Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 206-246 (49.5 - 59.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 208-250 (60.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Scizor-Mega
+2 44 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 354-416 (85 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 44 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 434-512 (104.3 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Mega Scizor: 177-213 (51.6 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Syclant
244 SpA Life Orb Syclant Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 246-290 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lopunny-Mega
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 367-432 (135.4 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 160-189 (38.4 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 198-234 (47.5 - 56.2%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 78-93 (18.7 - 22.3%) -- possible 5HKO
Pidgeot-Mega
252 SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 524-618 (125.9 - 148.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pidgeot: 208-247 (67.7 - 80.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
120 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pidgeot: 235-278 (76.5 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Alakazam
120 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 253-300 (100.7 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam: 224-265 (89.2 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 428-506 (102.8 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Hawlucha
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha: 374-439 (124.6 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 244 Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 482-570 (115.8 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Hawlucha: 374-439 (124.6 - 146.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Gallade-Mega
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 252-299 (90.6 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
196 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gallade: 307-361 (110.4 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 356-422 (85.5 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Mega Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 290-344 (75.5 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Latias
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 265-315 (83 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 330-390 (79.3 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
120 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Latias: 299-354 (93.7 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Latios
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 289-343 (96.6 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
120 Atk Life Orb Magikarp Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 330-390 (110.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 393-463 (94.4 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Manectric-Mega
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 153-183 (54.4 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 214-253 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Raikou
196 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 266-316 (82.8 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 220-259 (68.5 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 190-225 (45.6 - 54%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO
Serperior
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 270-320 (64.9 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 183-216 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
120 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 207-243 (71.1 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Ferrothorn:
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 354-416 (85 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 284-336 (68.2 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Metagross-Mega
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 170-204 (40.8 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 212-252 (50.9 - 60.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (demo)
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 422-498 (101.4 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 342-404 (82.2 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (demo)
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 196 Def Magikarp: 384-452 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magikarp: 474-560 (113.9 - 134.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Threatens:

Well, it hits what it needs to. For those worried this CAP would be too underpowered, think again. Does it sweep unmercifulilessly? No, but it cleans house efficiently and is by no means set up bait or dead weight. It needs proper coverage such as Energy Ball to properly dispose of Hippowdown and Rotom-W effectively, but it can struggle to be beat them not always winning the battle without such coverage. It easily hits everything from Tomohawk to Colossoil, to Skarmory to Chansey, to Syclant and Stratagem. It can almost always dispose of the Lati twins being faster and thwart Charizard-X as well. It almost never OHKOthe things it threatens but it almost always hits the 70-90 revenge kill range (with 0 offensive investments) a base 136 speed would want to hit.

Gyarados-Mega
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 322-382 (97.2 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Tyranitar-Mega
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 374-442 (109.6 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Sableye-Mega
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sableye: 151-182 (49.6 - 59.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
Colossoil
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 80 Def Colossoil: 413-486 (101.4 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Colossoil Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Magikarp: 34-40 (8.1 - 9.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
Garchomp
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 291-346 (81.5 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Cyclohm
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 343-406 (81.6 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Keldeo
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 281-330 (86.9 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Chansey
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 463-546 (72.1 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Skarmory
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 214-253 (64 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 144-172 (43.1 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
196 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 175-208 (52.3 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Hippowdon
196 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 222-263 (52.8 - 62.6%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 183-216 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Rotom-W
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 121-144 (39.9 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 153-181 (50.4 - 59.7%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 175-207 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Landorus-T
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 153-181 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Klefki
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Klefki: 187-222 (58.8 - 69.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thundurus
0 SpA Life Orb Magikarp Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Thundurus: 172-203 (57.5 - 67.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Stratagem
0 Atk Life Orb Magikarp High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Stratagem: 494-585 (153.8 - 182.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Stratagem Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0- SpD Magikarp: 170-201 (40.8 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Conclusion:

The focus of this spread adequately threatens what it needs to threaten in a mix sweeper role without evs, is able to tank the hits it needs and ultimately fails to what it's supposed to fail to. The potential spreads demonstrate clearly it has a poignant roster of checks that are off set by what spread is being used and makes it a fun and versatile mon to use. I hope you all like it too. :)

Addendum for Tornadus-T and 122+ speed:

So, it seems being late to the party and having such high speed, I should probably add a specific area for the speed. I first started modeling this cap in the mold of Accelgor, being that its a lightning fast utility mon with a modest life orb punch. Without running checks I can pretty confidently say that losing its life orb would allow it to still hit what it threatens but lose to a plethroa of potential checks match ups where life orb would boost it's offensive over the 50% mark. That being said, I would argue you don't plan on Chansey losing eviolite to Knock Off and actively switch out of harms way to keep your mon intact; CAP22 would do exactly the same thing explicitly because it has Parting Shot. Life Orb aside, the issue with speed hits a few bumps, and I've touched on it briefly at the beginning but I'll just reiterate here:

1. Such a high volume of speed allows for a poignant customization of stats allowing for a variety versatile checks while keeping a hard and fast line of what counters. Yes base 110 is the main pull, but there are a plethora of things even as far as Serperior at 113 to Manectric at 135 that can hit you. Ultimately, you want your Parting Shot to be a well fitting cog, and what better way than to allow it mesh with the checks and counters of your team?

2. Such high speed takes into account Cawmodore, Tornadus-T, Syclant, Stratgem (130), Mega-Lopunny, and Mega-Manectric. The calcs will tell you that only Tornadus-T and +6 Cawmodore Bullet Punch will wipe the floor with you, and Bullet Punch is a priority move. But this is a frail mon who would be otherwise 2KO by everything on that list by sheer fact of not outspeeding them. More to the point, my whole submission emphasizes the subtlety of speed and how such lightning fast speed can be a positive, beneficial, and most importantly relevant to our threatlist factor.

Agile Turtle: This is a very unique spread, appearing to prioritize bulk over offenses. I like the idea of a strictly-support set, though giving CAP 22 this much physical bulk may allow it to take on priority attackers better than it should. You should bolster the justification with some calcs against priority moves to show that it's not too much. Another concern is that with just 104 Special Attack, CAP 22 is going to have to rely on Focus Blast hitting multiple times.
The bulk is still nothing special, it allows us to take some hits better (most notably earthquake) but still doesn't give enough to handle anything it shouldn't. It still gets 2HKO'd by even an uninvested regular Scizor's Bullet Punch.
0 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 140-168 (54.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Scizor is really the only one of the priority users listed in the threats discussion that doesn't carry anything it'd rather hit the CAP with insted of the weak base power priority move. Also Scizor pretty much never goes uninvested, even on the bulky sets it usually has a few EVs in attack. But even if Scizor does go uninvested, it's still enough to beat the CAP.
This is really the most that the CAP can do back to that Scizor:
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 263-309 (76.6 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Banded Scizor OHKOs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 276-326 (107.3 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

CAP vs the bulky SD set:
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Scizor: 208-247 (60.6 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
44 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 146-174 (56.8 - 67.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 44 Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 288-342 (112 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mega Metagross' Bullet Punch is also a 2HKO, but that's irrelevant when Metagross would rather opt for the OHKO with Meteor Mash, either way it takes one round of damage. Even against an HP-invested support EV spread CAP, the metagross OHKOs:
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 356-420 (111.2 - 131.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And this is the most CAP does back:
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 200-238 (66.4 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Azumarill's Aqua Jet was never anything this CAP would fear anyway, even on the band set, it still can't even 2HKO, but that's irrelevant when it would opt for play rough anyway.
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 306-362 (119 - 140.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And CAP can't even keep it from belly drumming:
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 208-246 (57.1 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(this is the lowest that Azumarill ever runs in HP)
If Azumarill has already drummed though it doesn't matter because it's aqua jet is a OHKO:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 271-321 (105.4 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
The support set I've intended for this CAP can potentially live the +6 Aqua jet
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Squirtle: 271-321 (84.6 - 100.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
But this is all that does back:
4 SpA Squirtle Moonblast vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 127-151 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Assvest Azu takesCAP on easy peasy:
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 136-161 (33.9 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You mentioned some instances where Aura Sphere will be enough, but I encourage you to run more calcs with both Aura Sphere and Moonblast to make sure it's enough in more than just those limited scenarios. The same concern I have with david0895's mixed offenses somewhat resonate here; for example, are you expecting one of CAP 22's sets to take down the likes of Static Cyclohm and TankChomp with Play Rough? Overall, I'm not sure I understand this spread yet. I'll be sure to study it more closely over the week.
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclohm: 463-549 (110.2 - 130.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 416-491 (100.4 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 377-447 (116.7 - 138.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Revenankh: 234-276 (60.9 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 208-246 (69.5 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 243-289 (61.6 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Just a bunch of mons we're meant to beat with moonblast , we still manage just fine

252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 192 SpD Ferrothorn: 218-260 (61.9 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 320-377 (113.8 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pretty much anything else you might feel like hitting with aura sphere, close combat hits harder anyway, even uninvested CC vs invested aura sphere.

A lack of Focus Blast could make it struggle against Hippowdon, though:
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 196-231 (46.6 - 55%) -- 12.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
But I'd say that's enough damage to deter it from trying staying anywhere near CAP, and tbh that's what you get for being a fighting type special attacker.

The mixed offenses aren't there for play rough, they're there so CAP can opt to run a more physically oriented mixed set to potentially be more threatening with close combat. Because close combat is a reliable high powered move, unlike focus blast which is unreliable, I believe that having the option to really do some threatening with an invested close combat is pretty helpful towards the concept. Mixed stats like these are pretty nifty, and so instead of the opponent bringing out their wall which can potentially be broken, they gotta bring out their plasmantas, venusaurs, Talonflames, Volcaronas, Tornadus-Therians, etc. All of which are the exact kinda of mons we want to debuff with parting shot.

And I mean play rough is a nice move and all, but moonblast is better in most scenarios for this CAP, I mean, play rough would be better than moonblast for things with higher special bulk than physical, like Revenankh, but again, for most scenarios moonblast is still better.

Also don't mistake this as me saying we should have this attack stat just because throwing around high powered close combats are scary. The option for a more physically oriented CAP22 has merit that allows us to beat some specific things on our list, such as Heatran.
252 Atk Life Orb Squirtle Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 400-476 (103.6 - 123.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
A physically Oriented mixed set will do better on specially defensive heatran than a specially oriented set
252 SpA Life Orb Squirtle Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Heatran: 320-377 (82.9 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Which if want to at least have a chance at beating, is pretty important as an option, considering even uninvested, heatran still murders CAP with Flash Cannon
0 SpA Heatran Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Squirtle: 242-288 (94.1 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Agile Turtle I appreciate the approach to this submission and think it is a noble goal to design a more support-oriented CAP, but I just shudder at the thought of another 600 BST CAP, especially one that somehow doesn't really stand out in any single area despite all those stats and such a high BSR. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how exactly the CAP would be played with these stats, so maybe you could shed some light on this for me (I doubt I'm alone on this, and before you say it, yes, I did read the entire submission).
I understand your apprehension with the base stat total, but I'll just go ahead and say that aurumoth's stats weren't what broke it. Sure they didn't help, but they aren't even a main factor in why it's overpowered. Also the CAP isn't super specialized in any specific way with the stats I desire on purpose, these stats are designed so the mon can be very versatile.

You have the main offensive set:
CAP22 @ Life Orb / Black Belt / Leftover
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Focus Blast
-Moonblast
-Close Combat
-Parting Shot

The items are meant to be versatile depending on where you need this CAP to be on a Power vs Longevity scale.

This set has the wallbreaking potential it needs to coax those poison and fire mons in that it wants to debuff with parting shot.

Then you have a more physically oriented set:
CAP22 @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
-Close Combat
-Play Rough/Moonblast
-Focus Blast
-Parting shot

This set is very threatening with it's invested Close Combat, that not many things want to switch in to. Play Rough is there because on a more physciallly oriented set it makes more sense, but Moonblast is slashed on because it still handles things like garchomp better. Focus Blast is there because it's needed for the likes of Skarmory.

Then there is the support set:
CAP22 @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
-Focus Blast
-Moon Blast
-Close Combat / Protect / ?
-Parting Shot

This set doesn't have power investmnet, and as such won't hit as strong but it still hits most of the things we'd like to handle, like Skarmory and Chansey, while it also fares better against more powerful things like garchomp. I imagine this set performing like a Kitsunoh support set, where it has max HP and Speed investment, and carries one or two support moves.

I'm not really sure if this is what you were looking for, though, but here.

Hi. I'm canceling my submission because I feel HeaLnDeaL and Deck Knight's submissions are everything I wanted to accomplish with mine. So I''ll no longer be finalizing my submission and instead voting for one of the two.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tornadus-T wasn't on our threatlist for either good or ill, will always OHKO us with Hurricane, and the Assault Vest set it runs at >70% in CAP can tank Life Orb Moonblasts repeatedly if Rocks are not up. Not only this, but AV Torn-T runs Knock Off over 80% of the time, which if used removes our Life Orb/Specs and plunges Torn-T safely out of the 2HKO zone with Moonblast on mixed sets. Given Tornadus-T teams always run anti-hazard support , Tornadus-T is extremely effective against CAP in most situations, and hardly needs to be mollycoddled. It is true that with both good prediction and support, faster spreads can turn Tornadus-T into a check rather than a hard counter. By the same token with simply good prediction, Tornadus-T comes in on Fighting STAB and forces slower spreads to flee,requiring one of our other Pokemon to eat a full power Hurricane, or it forces faster spreads to Parting Shot, allowing us to pivot in Pokemon who may not have wanted to face Tornadus-T otherwise.

But lets review the end of our threats discussion:
cbrevan's closing post said:
Pokemon that should check/counter CAP:
Poison-types:
Mollux, Plasmanta, Fidgit, Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, etc.
Fire-types: Talonflame, Mega Charizard Y, Volkraken, Volcanion, etc.
Both of the types listed above have the ability to switch into one or more of the CAP's STAB combination and threaten it back with their STAB moves. Both types generally rely on their offensive abilities to deter switch ins and are therefore good targets for Parting Shot.
Since Fire types only resist Fairy STAB and Tornadus only resists the Fighting STAB (and Fighting STAB has the stronger special attacking prowess of the two), I would say appealing to the same strategy we're using against Fire types with Tornadus-T is pro-concept and in adherence with our conclusions in the threats discussion. All of the Fire types we discussed save Talonflame who one-shots with priority Brave Bird anyway are slower than Torn-T, and much less bulky on the special side compared to Tornadus-T. Heck, Torn-T counters mixed sets way better since it resists the Fighting STAB those sets rely on (If Life Orb is Knocked Off my spread's mixed set, Moonblast can only 3HKO even with SR down.)

Tornadus-T wasn't on our threatlist for either good or ill, will always OHKO us with Hurricane, and the Assault Vest set it runs at >70% in CAP can tank Life Orb Moonblasts repeatedly if Rocks are not up. Not only this, but AV Torn-T runs Knock Off over 80% of the time, which if used removes our Life Orb/Specs and plunges Torn-T safely out of the 2HKO zone with Moonblast on mixed sets. Given Tornadus-T teams always run anti-hazard support , Tornadus-T is extremely effective against CAP in most situations, and hardly needs to be mollycoddled. It is true that with both good prediction and support, faster spreads can turn Tornadus-T into a check rather than a hard counter. By the same token with simply good prediction, Tornadus-T comes in on Fighting STAB and forces slower spreads to flee,requiring one of our other Pokemon to eat a full power Hurricane, or it forces faster spreads to Parting Shot, allowing us to pivot in Pokemon who may not have wanted to face Tornadus-T otherwise.

But lets review the end of our threats discussion:

Since Fire types only resist Fairy STAB and Tornadus only resists the Fighting STAB (and Fighting STAB has the stronger special attacking prowess of the two), I would say appealing to the same strategy we're using against Fire types with Tornadus-T is pro-concept and in adherence with our conclusions in the threats discussion. All of the Fire types we discussed save Talonflame who one-shots with priority Brave Bird anyway are slower than Torn-T, and much less bulky on the special side compared to Tornadus-T. Heck, Torn-T counters mixed sets way better since it resists the Fighting STAB those sets rely on (If Life Orb is Knocked Off my spread's mixed set, Moonblast can only 3HKO even with SR down.)
This is kinda polljump-ish, but its pretty relevant here I think.
I feel like perhaps Tornadus-T should be something we try and hit more with movepool if we have big problem with it. I feel that Tornadus-T fits under our ideal threats because it is worn down by Stealth Rock, which was a key feature we wanted for our CAP. Of course this damage is remedied by the Regenerator upon switching out, but with some tweaks to other features of the CAP it would be easy enough to counter without having to overboards any stats.

On a side note, my submission is finalized.

Gotta say that the 120-and-below crowd has done a solid job explaining why they think not outspeeding Torn-T is no big deal. I'll leave that as a discussion point for the 122-and-above crowd, as I would like to see justification from all sides: why do you find outspeeding Tornadus-T to be necessary?
That's very simple. We're a Parting Shot mon, and Tornadus is one of exceptionally few mons you would ever potentially want to click Parting Shot against. In fact, I'm sort of curious as for people with 120 Speed. What exactly do you plan to Parting Shot with only 120 speed?

Here's a list of all the Pokemon in CAP that see more than really niche levels of play.
  1. Colossoil
  2. Tomohawk
  3. Mega-Crucibelle
  4. Cyclohm
  5. Volkraken
  6. Syclant
  7. Auromoth
  8. Cawmodore
  9. Stratagem
  10. Mollux
  11. Clefable
  12. Rotom-W
  13. Ferrothorn
  14. Metagross-Mega
  15. Arghonaut
  16. Pyroak
  17. Kitsunoh
  18. Landorus-Therian
  19. Necturna
  20. Slowbro
  21. Keldeo
  22. Plasmanta
  23. Krillowatt
  24. Fidgit
  25. Scizor-Mega
  26. Garchomp
  27. Gardevoir-Mega
  28. Skarmory
  29. Scizor
  30. Chansey
  31. Revenahnk
  32. Talonflame
  33. Jirachi
  34. Voodoom
  35. Medicham-Mega
  36. Heatran
  37. Tornadus-Therian
  38. Naviathan
  39. Volcanion
  40. Charizard-Mega-Y
  41. Azumarill
  42. Latios
  43. Diancie-Mega
  44. Charizard-Mega-X
  45. Kyurem-Black
  46. Conkeldurr
  47. Serperior
  48. Crucibelle
  49. Malaconda
  50. Alakazam-Mega
  51. Venusaur-Mega
  52. Breloom
  53. Gyarados-Mega
  54. Sylveon
  55. Sableye-Mega
  56. Metagross
  57. Magnezone
  58. Pinsir-Mega
  59. Starmie
  60. Altaria-Mega

Of those, we can further break those down into categories.

Category 1: Pokemon you would always click your super-effective STAB against, and thus never Parting Shot
  1. Colossoil
  2. Tomohawk
  3. Cyclohm
  4. Syclant
  5. Stratagem
  6. Ferrothorn
  7. Arghonaut
  8. Keldeo
  9. Garchomp
  10. Chansey
  11. Revenahnk
  12. Voodoom
  13. Medicham-Mega
  14. Heatran
  15. Naviathan
  16. Latios
  17. Kyurem-Black
  18. Conkeldurr
  19. Malaconda
  20. Breloom
  21. Gyarados-Mega
  22. Sableye-Mega
  23. Magnezone
  24. Altaria-Mega

Catergory 2: Pokemon that will outspeed you and either kill you outright, or render Parting Shot worse than Memento (Let's use the 126 speed for this example)
  1. Mega-Crucibelle
  2. Volkraken
  3. Mollux
  4. Metagross-Mega
  5. Kitsunoh
  6. Scizor-Mega
  7. Talonflame
  8. Scizor
  9. Jirachi
  10. Crucibelle
  11. Alakazam-Mega
  12. Metagross
  13. Pinsir-Mega

Category 3: Defensive Pokemon that wouldn't care if you Parting Shot them
  1. Clefable
  2. Rotom-W
  3. Pyroak
  4. Slowbro
  5. Fidgit
  6. Skarmory
  7. Sylveon

Category 4: Other
  1. Auromoth
  2. Cawmodore
  3. Landorus-Therian
  4. Necturna
  5. Plasmanta
  6. Krillowatt
  7. Gardevoir-Mega
  8. Tornadus-Therian
  9. Volcanion
  10. Charizard-Mega-Y
  11. Azumarill
  12. Diancie-Mega
  13. Charizard-Mega-X
  14. Serperior
  15. Venusaur-Mega
  16. Starmie

Of the mons that fall into the "Other" category, Aurumoth is a mon that you have to attack if you realize it's in, because the Parting Shot gets negated and taken advantage of by Quiver Dance. Cawmodore is in a similar boat; the Parting Shot doesn't actually do anything hard switching doesn't. Landorus will fall into Category 3, unless it's Choice Scarfed, in which case it falls in Category 2. Parting Shot is only a wise play if it's Choiced into a move that you actively resist. The only Necturna set that minds Parting Shot is the Choice Band set. Banded Azu falls into Category 2, and even non-Banded Azu can only be Parting Shotted on at high health. Diancie is a mon you can't actually Parting Shot. Venusaur and Starmie both often run defensive sets that tend to fall into Category 3, so you need to find the offensive variants in order t actually get Parting Shot value off of them. Bulky-Dance Zard-X actually sets up and then Roost stalls most of the sets proposed. Serp actually gets better in the presence of Parting Shot, so we'd almost certainly hard switch against that.

Basically, this means that the only mons that we would actually feel safe at team preview using Parting Shot against are Plasmanta, Gardevoir, Krillowat, Volcanion, Charizard-Y, and Tornadus-T, and usually you don't want to end up in a situation where the opponent's Volcanion is in against this CAP. So the outspeed on that front makes it so that we preserve one of the six mons that Parting Shot is actually not garbage against. Given that Parting Shot is literally the entirity of our concept, I would put high value on making the move as not terrible as possible.

WIP

115 HP/60 Atk/65 Def/115 SpA/65 SpD/165 Spe

Total: 585

PT: 122.4253 ST: 124.6181 PS: 101.3144 SS: 203.7699

BSR: 298.44365

Will come back and explain everything

Empress

Well I certainly didn't expect Smogon to be Smogoff for so long–and I'm sure you guys didn't either. I'll extend it by 24 hours to accommodate the delay. You have until Saturday, July 30 at 8 AM EST.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I appreciate HeaLnDeaL's clarification about the benefits of outspeeding Cawmodore, because I had not run any damage calcs and didn't realize two key things:

How weak Cawmodore is hitting CAP 22 with Acrobatics and Bullet Punch without a Belly Drum.
Even with the lean defensive spreads in this thread, Caw won't be OHKO'ing CAP 22 with a 55 BP Acrobatics and certainly not with a 40 BP Bullet Punch. If Caw has consumed his Sitrus Berry, then yes, a big Acrobatics is going to murder CAP 22. But in the base case of a not-yet-BellyDrummed Cawmodore threatening to KO CAP 22, it's not nearly the threat I assumed earlier.

How flimsy Cawmodore is in the face of neutral STAB special attacks.
Cawmodore will likely be OHKO'ed by Focus Blast and will take a shitton from Aura Sphere by almost every submitted SpAtk in this thread.​

But now that I realize the damage scenarios both giving and receiving between CAP 22 and Cawmodore, I'm still questioning if it's really that important for CAP 22 to outspeed Cawmodore. The goal most have stated for outspeeding Cawmodore is to prevent it from Belly Drumming in our face. But if an unboosted Cawmodore can't KO us without a Drum, and we can do a boatload of damage (more than 75%) with a STAB special Fighting move -- Then who would ever Drum with Cawmodore against CAP 22, even if CAP 22 is slower?

I'm not sure the difference between 115 speed and 120 speed on CAP 22 makes much of a difference in our matchup against Cawmodore, if the goal is setup prevention. It's a mixed matchup where Caw wins in some cases and CAP 22 wins in others. At full health on both sides, Cawmodore will not be OHKO'ing CAP 22. So Caw will be facing the prospect of eating a big attack -- no matter how fast we are. If CAP 22 decides to forgo Focus Miss and run Aura Sphere instead, which may not OHKO Cawmodore, then Cawmodore can Acrobatics for a big chunk and then finish CAP 22 off with a priority Bullet Punch -- no matter how fast we are. If we are faster than Cawmodore and at full health - then yes, Cawmodore has no choice but to switch out. But if we are worn down quite a bit, we have to hard switch to avoid being finished off by Bullet Punch -- no matter how fast we are.

So by making CAP 22 faster than Cawmodore, it appears we are just making CAP 22 always win versus Cawmodore when CAP 22 is at full health -- and it doesn't have much to do with preventing Cawmodore from Drumming in our face.

Like I said before, I don't battle enough to say any of this with total conviction. I'm genuinely asking to find out what I am missing in evaluating spreads with speed to beat Cawmodore.

DougJustDoug I think the confusion comes over the perspective. Your perception is that the target speed is to counter Cawmodore, but I don't think you could make the case that Cawmodore is the demo target. The big issue in regards to speed ends up being Tornadus-T and to a lesser extent Lopunny-Mega/Manectric-Mega.

If you take a quick glance at the prominent target speeds for each stat spread you're looking at: 120, 122, 126, 136

This is a rather simplistic approach but for the sake of clarity, I'd like to display them so you can hopefully get a better grasp.

Outspeeds: Cawmodore, Hawlucha (118)
Ties: Alakazam (120)
Slower: Tornadus-T, Mega-Pidgeot, Syclant (121)
Outspeeds: Tornadus-T, Pidgeot-Mega, Syclant (121)
Ties: Greninja (122)
Slower: Weavile (125), Talonflame (126)
Outspeeds: Weavile (125)
Ties: Talonflame (126)
Slower: Base 130+ (Jolteon, Crobat, Stratagem)
Outspeeds: Manectric-Mega, Lopunny-Mega
Ties: N/A
Slower: Base 140+ (Beedrill-Mega, Alakazam-Mega, Aerodactyl-Mega)

A 120 Spe CAP is going to fall short of Tornadus-T, specifically identifying it now as a hard counter instead of a solid check. I honestly can't imagine any other reason to give it a base 120 speed stat. The calcs clearly show that most speeds (bar 136 which have lower SpA) will kill by the time it Belly Drums. Hawlucha can only kill if it's running a Sub Liechi set to raise Acrobatics offense to 110BP +1, so it's a problem but a niche one.

At 122 Spe CAP is explicitly outspeeding the things it fell short to with 120. It changes the role of Tornadus-T (and Syclant) to checks and allows you to Parting Shot or revenge kill them as opposed to resorting to a hard switch. This is really where the debate for Tornadus-T starts and is probably the catalyst for it. At base speeds of 122 or higher Cawmodore is never your target and thus is a moot point when discussing speed. This is where your misunderstanding probably stems from, since you have a myopic focus on Cawmodore when it only really becomes a talking point at a base speed of 120.

At 126 Spe CAP is going to speed tie Talonflame and outrun Weavile. Considering our typing Weavile is a non-issue with all but Knock Off. I suppose you could legitimately make an argument for wanting to be faster than Weavile because 90%+ of our calcs take Life Orb into consideration and so it's a vulnerability of sorts, much like an eviolite user is prone to Knock Off. Deck Knight is the only one with 126 speed so he can clarify in more depth, but his reasoning was that alongside speed tying Talonflame (which is probably redundant considering Gale Wings) it allows for a depth of speed. You're not required to run a max spread of 252 in speed to outspeed base 114 Speed (Which is Crucibelle-Mega) and a lesser extent Serperior at 113. There's not really anything right above a base speed of 126 so you could frivolously argue for base 127, 128, etc but that's nitpicky at best.

At 136 Spe CAP only happens to magnify the logic of Deck Knight's 126 spread. It allows you to outspeed Lopunny-Mega and Manectric-Mega. Being one of the two proponents championing a base 136 speed I feel like I can explain this choice the best - and did so in my submission post. Essentially though the biggest plus of a 136 speed is it allows you to take care of the two aforementioned base 135 mon but also allows you the depth to alternate the CAP's offensives to deal with a myriad of threats. At the point of 136 speed it becomes an issue of meta-depth since there's the basic 252 in speed and outrun 135, but there's also available sets to run more bulk/offense for 110's or a medium set which looks to take advantage of enough speed to essentially be a 122 with slight bulk/offense to hit though miscellaneous speedsters (e.g. Crucibelle-Mega, Serperior, Cawmodore, etc..)

Ultimately the importance of speed in this particular instance seems to revolve around Tornadus-T's 121 base speed and whether or not Tornadus-T should be a counter or a check. The calcs will tell you that given the BSR parameters Tornadus-T is OHKO'ing us in one hit so it really boils down to a preference: do you want to be OHKO threatened by Tornadus-T all the time or most of the time? Do you want a chance of surviving/revenge killing it? I personally fall on the side of revenge killing obviously, and I also argue for the importance of outspeeding neutral threats Syclant and Manectric-Mega as well.

Hope that helps clarify things, Doug.

@Quote: The post did what it needed to do. You outlined the speed tiers well and proposed a question with what I would think has a pretty obvious answer.
@Quote: which*
Reapehify: It's not as obvious as it seems.
Reapehify: The powers that be was to advocate for Tornadus-T to be a counter.
Reapehify: To make a case otherwise needs to be near irrefutable.
Reapehify: I suspect that the final verdict will be the 120 base speed and Korski's spread.
@Quote: Of all the Pokemon that you could auto-lose to, why have it be one of the best momentum-gainers in the game?

I thought this was a great question that hasn't really been asked in this way, and might help people figure out what they think is best. Quote approved.

(Personally, I agree. It's suicide for a Parting Shot user to lose all momentum to Tornadus-T. It's entirely counterproductive to the concept.)

Last edited by a moderator:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

84 HP / 78 Atk / 86 Def / 115 SpA / 88 SpD / 119 Spe (570 BST)

PT: 129
ST: 134
PS: 128
SS: 196
BSR: 320

Posting this as a new post since changes have been made and I started a collaboration that's been ongoing over the course of the week. snake_rattler and I have worked together to make this spread, as both of our initial spreads were quite similar, and after a discussion we discovered we had a lot of further agreements. If slated, we have decided that my name will go to the polls, but in the event we win, both our names will be listed on the credits. This is not the first time a stat spread has been collaborated upon with multiple users, and snake and I have equally contributed to the stats.

We ridin’ that ST limit folks, but nothing else is even close to touching a limit. As a brief summary of this spread, here are the key points: 84 HP is the lowest HP to hit a Life Orb number AND survive 3 seismic tosses (presumably from Chansey). This spread isn’t all that interested in mixed attacking, but if people really really wanted to try they could (spoiler: it isn’t supposed to be “worth it” though). This is the most specially bulky spread listed, and it aims to be able to withstand Tomohawk’s Air Slash after prior damage, as well as moderate neutral hits such as Keldeo’s scald. As defensive Tomohawk is both a passive mon and something weak to our STAB, we feel that being able to RELIABLY survive its air slash with some cushion room for recoil (from Life Orb, Stealth Rock, or otherwise) is very important. The amount of special bulk provided may ride the limit, but it does not negatively impact our Checks and Counters, as things such as tank and non offensive Mollux still OHKO us. In terms of special offense, 114 is the minimum to always OHKO Tank Chomp with a LO Moonblast, whereas anything above 115 risks KOing Talonflame after rocks, among other mons. Thus, 115 is the safest number to KO what we need to KO and to avoid taking the risk of destroying should-be counters. For speed, we decided that Tornadus-T should not be outsped, but that at least having the option to outpace Cawmodore and hit it with a Focus Blast would be a decent way to deal with a potential threat that flat out doesn’t care about Parting Shot. Overall, we’re a bulkier spread because we want to actually have enough HP left over after taking hits to still use LO, and we’re a mid-tier offensive spread because we don’t want to just nuke would-be checks/counters.

As stated above, 84 HP is the lowest base HP to hit a Life Orb number AND survive 3 seismic tosses. And Base Stat that ends in a 4 or 9 equals an uninvested HP that ends in a 9, which causes Life Orb damage to round down. 84 puts us at 309 HP, meaning we take 30 damage from Life Orb instead of 31 damage if the base stat was 85. Originally, I had considered going even lower than 84 to minimize LO damage and compensate with higher defensive stats, but snake_rattler pointed out that being under 300 HP would significantly increase the risk of seismic toss. Credit goes to Deck Knight for alerting us to Life Orb numbers in his post, sorry we’re taking your HP number, but we’re definitely using it for a different PT and ST than you are.

Physical Attack is by no way a priority of ours. If still given very powerful physical moves, they might find their way onto an obscure set, but this is not something we truly want. Instead, in order to meet our specially defensive goals, we realized that a Naive nature (which would likely be used on a mixed set) was not going to cut it (even a Hasty nature would prove problematic for our defensive goals as well). By deemphasizing attack, we strongly encourage a special attacking set that runs Timid, not Naive or Hasty. 78 was chosen to ultimately make a round BST number. We could have gone lower, but there really wasn’t any point, and 78 is very much a number that doesn’t attempt to have a flagrant dump stat / BSR abuse.

Also note that the primary reason for having usable Attack was to 2HKO chansey through Softboiled. This current spread may not 2HKO it, but it can 3/4HKO it if needed/if that route is chosen, but we don’t feel that is necessary. There’s a certain status move later on that could stop Chansey pretty well, anyway. So, we have the *option* to beat it with mixed if needed, but we’d prefer the option of using this certain other move to stop it. Options are good, and we’re just trying to enable them rather than force only one option. Not to mention, Chansey isn’t a particularly potent threat in the CAP metagame to start with, so we've come to listen to the arguments about us not needing to straight up KO it.

86 Defense allows us to always survive one Skarmory Brave Bird after SR. As a passive Pokemon, Skarmory has been discussed by multiple people as something we should defeat or otherwise stop. The problem, however, is that it has a powerful STAB move that threatens us considerably. 84/86 at the very least discourages Skarmory from attacking a full health CAP22.

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 242-288 (78.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Skarmory is a rather rare matchup, so being able to handle things like Colossoil or Garchomp better than we handle Skarmory is to be expected. Thus, we wanted to comfortably take an earthquake from either threat and have enough HP left over for multiple rounds of Life Orb damage. Our spread accomplishes this, whereas spreads with notably lower defense do not do this nearly as well.

252+ Atk Colossoil Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 195-229 (63.1 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see with this calc, we comfortably survive the Earthqake even after SR damage and after 2 rounds of LO recoil. Colo’s eq is stronger than Garchomp's, so posting that calc isn’t necessary.

Possible concerns and rebuttals: There is a reasonable chance that we do survive Mega Cham’s Fake Out and Bullet Punch. However, if we’ve already taken recoil or prior damage, this is exceptionally rare. Furthermore, after one Fake Out, if Mega Medicham received a min roll and knows it would risk failing to KO with BP, then it could switch out if absolutely necessary and come back in later for another Fake Out.

Similarly, it is likely that CAP22 will survive 2 banded Azumarill Aqua Jets. However, once SR and LO is considered, the odds of this are very low, and we certainly do not threaten the OHKO on Azumarill.

In short, this defense aims to defeat Skarmory and Colo/Chomp. In doing so, it does give us chances to survive common priority moves, which CAP22 should lose to, BUT given the likelihood of recoil, hazard damage, and prior damage and the fact that most priority users work best when their target is weakened already, we believe that 84/86 is the best option as we survive what we need to survive with enough health left for future LO recoils while still being reasonable to be picked off with priority. CAP22 is a balancing act between many goals that have conflicts with the threat list, and so you’ll continue to see reasoning with very specific numbers that try to find just the right place to accommodate losing to threats and beating targets.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 424-502 (101.6 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 445-525 (107.4 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Lucario Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 342-404 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

We cleanly defeat Tank Garchomp and defensive Tomohawk with LO, and even if it gets knocked off, we have a great chance of defeating Tomohawk after SR damage (and survive chomp’s EQ with plenty of HP to spare).

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 243-289 (83.5 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As a Pokemon that screws with parting shot, threatening Serperior offensively is a good thing for our concept. With Sr up, Focus Blast does a great job of threatening Seperior. And even in the event that we miss this KO, our special bulk allows us to survive a +0 hit with room to spare.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 125-148 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 122-144 (41 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If we’re KOing a Talonflame that switches into us, we’re doing something wrong as a CAP. Spreads with higher than 115 SpA risk doing this after rocks, and the higher the SpA the greater the concern. I’ve been very vocal in chat about my dislike for the high sp atk / high speed spreads, and this is a good part of it. If we’re preventing Talonflame from countering us, we’re too strong. Talonflame, based on typing and its STABs, should be beating us, plain and simple. I don’t like the spreads that let us get a BS win versus Talonflame when on paper is should be a counter. Notice how the Moonblast calc has LO while the Focus Blast doesn’t. If coming in for free (i.e. not switching in), Talonflame can easily roost stall Life Orb Focus Blast until it misses. The Focus Blast calc shows no LO because of the chance of CAP22’s item getting knocked off or it not running LO; if an opponent knows that LO is gone, then I think Talonflame should have every opportunity to switch into CAP22. Moonblast is still provided as a calc for sets lacking Focus Blast (i.e. aura sphere sets). If the opponent knocks off CAP22 or discovers it lacks Focus Blast, Talonflame should be a counter, and this SpA makes sure that happens. And of course, Talonflame, if coming in for free, defeats us fairly outright, as it should. 115 SpA and lower is a safeguard against beating Talonflame. What’s more, 115 allows Talonflame to actually set up against CAP22 if it comes in for free after taking SR (assuming no Focus Blast or Focus Blast with no LO). Talonflame repeatedly switching in and out is a concern, since a CAP22 that heavily risks KOing Talonflame while Talon tries to set up persuades it not to set up, which lets it then be revenged so much easier later (one scenario would be tflame comes in vs CAP22 and takes SR dmg, knows that it needs to set up now to beat X threat if it switches in, but can’t risk setting up if CAP22 can KO it. So, it either has to not set up and risk X threat coming in and forc
ing it out, or set up and risk CAP 22 staying in and KOing it).

Also note that Korski’s Choice Specs spread has a great risk of OHKOing Mega Metagross! I think this is absolutely preposterous. Even with SR, my/snake’s spread do not come close to reliably risking this, whereas Korski’s spread can OHKO it even without SR.

HeaL/snake 115:
252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO with no SR

252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Korski 125:
252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now, we certainly do not think Mega Metagross should switch in for free, but considerably risking its life even when at full to come in vs CAP22 is just too much. Come on, let’s not be a powerhouse like that.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Hidden Power Ground vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Mollux: 302-359 (78.8 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 218-260 (55.3 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Even with HP Ground, Tank Mollux and Sp Def Mollux can take a hit and OHKO us in return. Ground coverage is quite nice in CAP, and Mollux in particular has a typing that screams it should be able to check us, so I think having a low enough Sp Atk to let Mollux check us is a great thing for CAP22. Discouraging us from running Hidden Power also encourages the use of Parting Shot. A set with a viable Hidden Power and another viable coverage move risks the concept itself, and snake and I would rather take out Hidden Power’s main allure here and now in stats.

115, as a SpA stat, is a compromise between letting us beat Garchomp and Tomohawk and making sure Talonflame has ample opportunities to make a play vs us, and to minimize the risk of us KOing should-be checks/counters.

0 SpA Tomohawk Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 204-240 (66 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(204, 204, 206, 210, 212, 216, 216, 218, 222, 224, 228, 228, 230, 234, 236, 240)

Here, the individual numbers are important, so bear with us for little bit. 88 SpD allows us to take 2 SRs and 1 LO worth of damage and still survive Tomohawk’s air slash all of the time. “But HeaL, 2 SRs and 1 LO = 25%, and the calc you showed shows over 75%, so over 75% + 25% = dead CAP22!!!” Well, that’s where our LO number HP comes in. At 309 HP, CAP takes 19 from switching into SR. Therefore, it takes 38 from switching into it twice, leaving it at 271 HP. It then takes 30 HP from LO, putting it at 241. As the numbers show above, Tomohawk can only deal a max of 240 HP with its Air Slash, which means after 2 SRs and a LO, CAP will survive! The point of the SRs and LO was to give CAP22 some reasonable wiggle room. Because multiple spreads here submitted struggle to *always* OHKO Tomohawk after SR *if LO has been knocked off* snake and I figured surviving the Air Slash would be a good special defensive benchmark. It is a safety net that could prove to be vital in the right situations.

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 198-234 (64 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Scarf Keldeo’s Hydro Pump does similar damage to us as Colossoil’s Earthquake, and we wanted this to be the case for similar reasons. It would be unfortunate for CAP22 to survive the scarf Hydro only to KO itself with Life Orb recoil the same turn. That approximately extra 25% is a good cushion. It’s a similar story/almost the same damage output for Scarf Volkraken, though obviously we would only stay in against Volkraken if we *needed* to weaken it with parting shot.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 212-251 (68.6 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As a Pokemon that we can't Parting Shot against, fairing well against Serperior is a good idea. We survive its hit with cushion room, while we can 2HKO it or sometimes even OHKO it after SR.

0 SpA Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 288-338 (93.2 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even 0 investment Mollux KOes us, and we cannot KO in return.

Overall, having 84/88 special bulk does not negatively affect our threatlist because the special attackers that should be beating us still do. We’re definitely not superhero level SpecialDefense here, but it’s enough to make a difference, especially when LO recoil is considered. snake and I fear that the spreads with too low of SpecialDefense will just crumble under the effects of LO.

We outspeed Cawmdore and can at least dissuade it from setting up on us with the risk of being OHKOed by our Focus Blast.

We are outsped by Torn-T, since Torn-T really should be a check/counter to us. I don’t want to BS Tornadus-T by being faster than it and critting it or lowering its Special Attack with Moonblast and having its Hurricane miss a lot. The most reliable way to lose to Tornadus-T is to just not outspeed it. We’re not super worried about being unable to Parting Shot Tornadus-T because it can pivot out with U-turn anyway after having its stats lowered. There are plenty of things to Parting Shot against, and Torn-T just doesn’t seem to be a make or break mon to consider. There’s also been a lot of talk in this thread regarding the outslowing Tornadus-T argument, so I won’t spend too much time here on that. It's also somewhat important to talk about how Syclant outspeeds us, too. As we actually survive Syclant's attacks, moving slower lets us parting shot after it U-turns (or ice beams), meaning we keep momentum. Regardy Reapehify and Quote, this is not OU. Torn-T may still be a good momentum grabber in the CAP meta, but it just has more switch ins and it faces competition for a teamslot even more. Never in CAP have I had a "hmm I really need something on my team to beat that Tornadus-T" moment. It's a great mon for us to lose to. Pretty much every spread here risks KOing LO Tornadus-T if switching in once rocks are up (Base 115 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-T: 203-239 (67.8 - 79.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). If we outspeed it, it cannot counter us at all. If we outspeed it, it becomes a check at best. Even the assault vest set! (252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 136-161 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock). It's not an issue that we don't dissuade it from coming in for free. We kinda already do that. It's an issue of keeping AV Torn-T a counter so that we actually have some counters left (note how with SR UP, LO sets already can't counter us reliably already). It doesn't enjoy switching in on us at all, and I feel that's a healthy goal, especially when the alternative is beating a mon that he have no business beating.

Crucibelle’s monstrously strong moves and greater offenses compared to Tornadus-T make it something that is much harder to switch into. CAP22 outspeeding Mega Crucibelle makes it so much more manageable to find an adequate switch in for. Mega Crucibelle is just flat out more viable than Torn-T in the meta, and so I feel targeting it with Parting Shot but not targeting Tornadus-T is a fair move. Tornadus-T has a lot of potential switch-ins.

119 was chosen over 120 because there's really no important mons to consider at 120. Alakazam in probably the most viable of the non-uber 120s, and we felt we should probably lose the speed war with Alakazam since it's typing should defeat ours. Furthermore,we feel Mega Alakazam should absolutely beat us, and letting the base form outspeed us helps to avoid annoying first-turn mega speed ties.

--- --- ---

Also, at Snobalt you said Sunday July 30th, but I'm guessing you meant Saturday?

Empress

Final Submission

84 HP / 78 Atk / 86 Def / 115 SpA / 88 SpD / 119 Spe (570 BST)

PT: 129
ST: 134
PS: 128
SS: 196
BSR: 320

Posting this as a new post since changes have been made and I started a collaboration that's been ongoing over the course of the week. snake_rattler and I have worked together to make this spread, as both of our initial spreads were quite similar, and after a discussion we discovered we had a lot of further agreements. If slated, we have decided that my name will go to the polls, but in the event we win, both our names will be listed on the credits. This is not the first time a stat spread has been collaborated upon with multiple users, and snake and I have equally contributed to the stats.

We ridin’ that ST limit folks, but nothing else is even close to touching a limit. As a brief summary of this spread, here are the key points: 84 HP is the lowest HP to hit a Life Orb number AND survive 3 seismic tosses (presumably from Chansey). This spread isn’t all that interested in mixed attacking, but if people really really wanted to try they could (spoiler: it isn’t supposed to be “worth it” though). This is the most specially bulky spread listed, and it aims to be able to withstand Tomohawk’s Air Slash after prior damage, as well as moderate neutral hits such as Keldeo’s scald. As defensive Tomohawk is both a passive mon and something weak to our STAB, we feel that being able to RELIABLY survive it’s air slash with some cushion room for recoil (from Life Orb, Stealth Rock, or otherwise) is very important. The amount of special bulk provided may ride the limit, but it does not negatively impact our Checks and Counters, as things such as tank and non offensive Mollux still OHKO us. In terms of special offense, 114 is the minimum to always OHKO Tank Chomp with a LO Moonblast, whereas anything above 115 risks KOing Talonflame after rocks, among other mons. Thus, 115 is the safest number to KO what we need to KO and to avoid taking the risk of destroying should-be counters. For speed, we decided that Tornadus-T should not be outsped, but that at least having the option to outpace Cawmodore and hit it with a Focus Blast would be a decent way to deal with a potential threat that flat out doesn’t care about Parting Shot. Overall, we’re a bulkier spread because we want to actually have enough HP left over after taking hits to still use LO, and we’re a mid-tier offensive spread because we don’t want to just nuke would-be checks/counters.

As stated above, 84 HP is the lowest base HP to hit a Life Orb number AND survive 3 seismic tosses. And Base Stat that ends in a 4 or 9 equals an uninvested HP that ends in a 9, which causes Life Orb damage to round down. 84 puts us at 309 HP, meaning we take 30 damage from Life Orb instead of 31 damage if the base stat was 85. Originally, I had considered going even lower than 84 to minimize LO damage and compensate with higher defensive stats, but snake_rattler pointed out that being under 300 HP would significantly increase the risk of seismic toss. Credit goes to Deck Knight for alerting us to Life Orb numbers in his post, sorry we’re taking your HP number, but we’re definitely using it for a different PT and ST than you are.

Physical Attack is by no way a priority of ours. If still given very powerful physical moves, they might find their way onto an obscure set, but this is not something we truly want. Instead, in order to meet our specially defensive goals, we realized that a Naive nature (which would likely be used on a mixed set) was not going to cut it (even a Hasty nature would prove problematic for our defensive goals as well). By deemphasizing attack, we strongly encourage a special attacking set that runs Timid, not Naive or Hasty. 78 was chosen to ultimately make a round BST number. We could have gone lower, but there really wasn’t any point, and 78 is very much a number that doesn’t attempt to have a flagrant dump stat / BSR abuse.

Also note that the primary reason for having usable Attack was to 2HKO chansey through Softboiled. This current spread may not 2HKO it, but it can 3/4HKO it if needed/if that route is chosen, but we don’t feel that is necessary. There’s a certain status move later on that could stop Chansey pretty well, anyway. So, we have the *option* to beat it with mixed if needed, but we’d prefer the option of using this certain other move to stop it. Options are good, and we’re just trying to enable them rather than force only one option. Not to mention, Chansey isn’t a particularly potent threat in the CAP metagame to start with, so we've come to listen to the arguments about us not needing to straight up KO it.

86 Defense allows us to always survive one Skarmory Brave Bird after SR. As a passive Pokemon, Skarmory has been discussed by multiple people as something we should defeat or otherwise stop. The problem, however, is that it has a powerful STAB move that threatens us considerably. 84/86 at the very least discourages Skarmory from attacking a full health CAP22.

0 Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 242-288 (78.3 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Skarmory is a rather rare matchup, so being able to handle things like Colossoil or Garchomp better than we handle Skarmory is to be expected. Thus, we wanted to comfortably take an earthquake from either threat and have enough HP left over for multiple rounds of Life Orb damage. Our spread accomplishes this, whereas spreads with notably lower defense do not do this nearly as well.

252+ Atk Colossoil Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 195-229 (63.1 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As you can see with this calc, we comfortably survive the Earthqake even after SR damage and after 2 rounds of LO recoil. Colo’s eq is stronger than Garchomp's, so posting that calc isn’t necessary.

Possible concerns and rebuttals: There is a reasonable chance that we do survive Mega Cham’s Fake Out and Bullet Punch. However, if we’ve already taken recoil or prior damage, this is exceptionally rare. Furthermore, after one Fake Out, if Mega Medicham received a min roll and knows it would risk failing to KO with BP, then it could switch out if absolutely necessary and come back in later for another Fake Out.

Similarly, it is likely that CAP22 will survive 2 banded Azumarill Aqua Jets. However, once SR and LO is considered, the odds of this are very low, and we certainly do not threaten the OHKO on Azumarill.

In short, this defense aims to defeat Skarmory and Colo/Chomp. In doing so, it does give us chances to survive common priority moves, which CAP22 should lose to, BUT given the likelihood of recoil, hazard damage, and prior damage and the fact that most priority users work best when their target is weakened already, we believe that 84/86 is the best option as we survive what we need to survive with enough health left for future LO recoils while still being reasonable to be picked off with priority. CAP22 is a balancing act between many goals that have conflicts with the threat list, and so you’ll continue to see reasoning with very specific numbers that try to find just the right place to accommodate losing to threats and beating targets.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 424-502 (101.6 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 445-525 (107.4 - 126.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Lucario Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tomohawk: 342-404 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

We cleanly defeat Tank Garchomp and defensive Tomohawk with LO, and even if it gets knocked off, we have a great chance of defeating Tomohawk after SR damage (and survive chomp’s EQ with plenty of HP to spare).

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Serperior: 243-289 (83.5 - 99.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

As a Pokemon that screws with parting shot, threatening Serperior offensively is a good thing for our concept. With Sr up, Focus Blast does a great job of threatening Seperior. And even in the event that we miss this KO, our special bulk allows us to survive a +0 hit with room to spare.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 125-148 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 122-144 (41 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

If we’re KOing a Talonflame that switches into us, we’re doing something wrong as a CAP. Spreads with higher than 115 SpA risk doing this after rocks, and the higher the SpA the greater the concern. I’ve been very vocal in chat about my dislike for the high sp atk / high speed spreads, and this is a good part of it. If we’re preventing Talonflame from countering us, we’re too strong. Talonflame, based on typing and its STABs, should be beating us, plain and simple. I don’t like the spreads that let us get a BS win versus Talonflame when on paper is should be a counter. Notice how the Moonblast calc has LO while the Focus Blast doesn’t. If coming in for free (i.e. not switching in), Talonflame can easily roost stall Life Orb Focus Blast until it misses. The Focus Blast calc shows no LO because of the chance of CAP22’s item getting knocked off or it not running LO; if an opponent knows that LO is gone, then I think Talonflame should have every opportunity to switch into CAP22. Moonblast is still provided as a calc for sets lacking Focus Blast (i.e. aura sphere sets). If the opponent knocks off CAP22 or discovers it lacks Focus Blast, Talonflame should be a counter, and this SpA makes sure that happens. And of course, Talonflame, if coming in for free, defeats us fairly outright, as it should. 115 SpA and lower is a safeguard against beating Talonflame. What’s more, 115 allows Talonflame to actually set up against CAP22 if it comes in for free after taking SR (assuming no Focus Blast or Focus Blast with no LO). Talonflame repeatedly switching in and out is a concern, since a CAP22 that heavily risks KOing Talonflame while Talon tries to set up persuades it not to set up, which lets it then be revenged so much easier later (one scenario would be tflame comes in vs CAP22 and takes SR dmg, knows that it needs to set up now to beat X threat if it switches in, but can’t risk setting up if CAP22 can KO it. So, it either has to not set up and risk X threat coming in and forc
ing it out, or set up and risk CAP 22 staying in and KOing it).

Also note that Korski’s Choice Specs spread has a great risk of OHKOing Mega Metagross! I think this is absolutely preposterous. Even with SR, my/snake’s spread do not come close to reliably risking this, whereas Korski’s spread can OHKO it even without SR.

HeaL/snake 115:
252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO with no SR

252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 249-294 (82.7 - 97.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Korski 125:
252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Lucario Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 262-310 (87 - 102.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Now, we certainly do not think Mega Metagross should switch in for free, but considerably risking its life even when at full to come in vs CAP22 is just too much. Come on, let’s not be a powerhouse like that.

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Hidden Power Ground vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Mollux: 302-359 (78.8 - 93.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 218-260 (55.3 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Even with HP Ground, Tank Mollux and Sp Def Mollux can take a hit and OHKO us in return. Ground coverage is quite nice in CAP, and Mollux in particular has a typing that screams it should be able to check us, so I think having a low enough Sp Atk to let Mollux check us is a great thing for CAP22. Discouraging us from running Hidden Power also encourages the use of Parting Shot. A set with a viable Hidden Power and another viable coverage move risks the concept itself, and snake and I would rather take out Hidden Power’s main allure here and now in stats.

115, as a SpA stat, is a compromise between letting us beat Garchomp and Tomohawk and making sure Talonflame has ample opportunities to make a play vs us, and to minimize the risk of us KOing should-be checks/counters.

0 SpA Tomohawk Air Slash vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 204-240 (66 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(204, 204, 206, 210, 212, 216, 216, 218, 222, 224, 228, 228, 230, 234, 236, 240)

Here, the individual numbers are important, so bear with us for little bit. 88 SpD allows us to take 2 SRs and 1 LO worth of damage and still survive Tomohawk’s air slash all of the time. “But HeaL, 2 SRs and 1 LO = 25%, and the calc you showed shows over 75%, so over 75% + 25% = dead CAP22!!!” Well, that’s where our LO number HP comes in. At 309 HP, CAP takes 19 from switching into SR. Therefore, it takes 38 from switching into it twice, leaving it at 271 HP. It then takes 30 HP from LO, putting it at 241. As the numbers show above, Tomohawk can only deal a max of 240 HP with its Air Slash, which means after 2 SRs and a LO, CAP will survive! The point of the SRs and LO was to give CAP22 some reasonable wiggle room. Because multiple spreads here submitted struggle to *always* OHKO Tomohawk after SR *if LO has been knocked off* snake and I figured surviving the Air Slash would be a good special defensive benchmark. It is a safety net that could prove to be vital in the right situations.

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 198-234 (64 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Scarf Keldeo’s Hydro Pump does similar damage to us as Colossoil’s Earthquake, and we wanted this to be the case for similar reasons. It would be unfortunate for CAP22 to survive the scarf Hydro only to KO itself with Life Orb recoil the same turn. That approximately extra 25% is a good cushion. It’s a similar story/almost the same damage output for Scarf Volkraken, though obviously we would only stay in against Volkraken if we *needed* to weaken it with parting shot.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 212-251 (68.6 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As a Pokemon that we can't Parting Shot against, fairing well against Serperior is a good idea. We survive its hit with cushion room, while we can 2HKO it or sometimes even OHKO it after SR.

0 SpA Mollux Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 288-338 (93.2 - 109.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even 0 investment Mollux KOes us, and we cannot KO in return.

Overall, having 84/88 special bulk does not negatively affect our threatlist because the special attackers that should be beating us still do. We’re definitely not superhero level SpecialDefense here, but it’s enough to make a difference, especially when LO recoil is considered. snake and I fear that the spreads with too low of SpecialDefense will just crumble under the effects of LO.

We outspeed Cawmdore and can at least dissuade it from setting up on us with the risk of being OHKOed by our Focus Blast.

We are outsped by Torn-T, since Torn-T really should be a check/counter to us. I don’t want to BS Tornadus-T by being faster than it and critting it or lowering its Special Attack with Moonblast and having its Hurricane miss a lot. The most reliable way to lose to Tornadus-T is to just not outspeed it. We’re not super worried about being unable to Parting Shot Tornadus-T because it can pivot out with U-turn anyway after having its stats lowered. There are plenty of things to Parting Shot against, and Torn-T just doesn’t seem to be a make or break mon to consider. There’s also been a lot of talk in this thread regarding the outslowing Tornadus-T argument, so I won’t spend too much time here on that. It's also somewhat important to talk about how Syclant outspeeds us, too. As we actually survive Syclant's attacks, moving slower lets us parting shot after it U-turns (or ice beams), meaning we keep momentum. Regardy Reapehify and Quote, this is not OU. Torn-T may still be a good momentum grabber in the CAP meta, but it just has more switch ins and it faces competition for a teamslot even more. Never in CAP have I had a "hmm I really need something on my team to beat that Tornadus-T" moment. It's a great mon for us to lose to. Pretty much every spread here risks KOing LO Tornadus-T if switching in once rocks are up (Base 115 252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tornadus-T: 203-239 (67.8 - 79.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). If we outspeed it, it cannot counter us at all. If we outspeed it, it becomes a check at best. Even the assault vest set! (252 SpA Life Orb Lucario Moonblast vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 136-161 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock). It's not an issue that we don't dissuade it from coming in for free. We kinda already do that. It's an issue of keeping AV Torn-T a counter so that we actually have some counters left (note how with SR UP, LO sets already can't counter us reliably already). It doesn't enjoy switching in on us at all, and I feel that's a healthy goal, especially when the alternative is beating a mon that he have no business beating.

Crucibelle’s monstrously strong moves and greater offenses compared to Tornadus-T make it something that is much harder to switch into. CAP22 outspeeding Mega Crucibelle makes it so much more manageable to find an adequate switch in for. Mega Crucibelle is just flat out more viable than Torn-T in the meta, and so I feel targeting it with Parting Shot but not targeting Tornadus-T is a fair move. Tornadus-T has a lot of potential switch-ins.

119 was chosen over 120 because there's really no important mons to consider at 120. Alakazam in probably the most viable of the non-uber 120s, and we felt we should probably lose the speed war with Alakazam since it's typing should defeat ours. Furthermore,we feel Mega Alakazam should absolutely beat us, and letting the base form outspeed us helps to avoid annoying first-turn mega speed ties.

--- --- ---

Also, at Snobalt you said Sunday July 30th, but I'm guessing you meant Saturday?
Yeah I meant Saturday :P
Will look at everything and provide comments once more tonight.

Empress

Time's up! Great job everyone. Here are the spreads, the decisions, and my reasoning behind the decisions.

89 HP / 92 Atk / 70 Def / 126 SpA / 71 SpD / 112 Spe - Alfalfa
Yes. I kinda wanted to have a slow spread anyway, but Alfalfa's makes sense regardless. He seems to imply that CAP 22 doesn't have to beat an already set-up Caw, and his calcs hit the mark. The high Special Attack is definitely balanced out by the low Speed, preventing CAP 22 from becoming a dominant offensive powerhouse.

84 HP / 85 Atk / 91 Def / 120 SpA / 65 SpD / 125 Spe - Deck Knight
Yes. This spread was my favorite at the start, and though I do not have a particular favorite now, I still find Deck's to be the most well-rounded spread. Yes, the offenses may look like a lot at first glance, but this spread will Speed tie with Weavile and is just a tad too slow to use a Rash/Mild/Modest nature, so the high-but-not-too-high Special Attack isn't too much of a problem imo. Additionally, the spread loses to some threats with Stealth Rock up, providing a reasonable downside if you feel that 120 is indeed quite high.

89 HP / 104 Atk / 72 Def / 108 SpA / 71 SpD / 136 Spe - Elite Lord Sigma
Yes. Again, having a wide range of Speed stats makes for a very diverse slate, and ELS strikes the balance beautifully with his low-ish Attack and Special Attack stats that are not too low. It's not overly frail and the ability to run a Rash/Mild/Adamant nature just as well as a Hasty/Naive/Timid nature gives CAP 22 plenty of options with this spread.

58 HP / 99 Atk / 120 Def / 104 SpA / 99 SpD / 120 Spe - Agile Turtle
No. I'm not sure if you see something that I don't, but I just cannot wrap my head around Turtle's spread. Some stuff he failed to take into account (and that I'm way too tired to calc now) includes CAP 22's matchup against Talonflame and Mega Scizor, among other things. His physical bulk sure is special, contrary to what he says. As for the offensive stats, it's simple: not enough firepower.

81 HP / 103 Atk / 75 Def / 118 SpA / 70 SpD / 126 Spe - boxofkangaroos
Yes. 126 is a unique Speed stat and I was hoping to see a lot of spreads in this range. It's restrained based on the BSR number alone, but it looks glass cannon powerful to me and I fear it may be a tad too much. Not as egregious as NumberCruncher's, but it'll look attractive to voters because of those flashy offenses. The frailty does provide a tradeoff, though, and it's customizable like ELS's without being totally overwhelming. The low Special Defense is a concern, though, as this spread is far and away the most specially frail. Although this worries me a little, at the end of the day, boxofkangaroos makes the slate on his unique offensive attributes.

94 HP / 66 Atk / 80 Def / 125 SpA / 65 SpD / 120 Spe - Korski
Yes. Along with boxofkangaroos, this is the most offensively-inclined spread of them all. About as specially powerful as Alfalfa's spread, Korski's is faster and deceptively bulkier, as this spread is not conducive to a mixed CAP 22; thus it doesn't need a Naive or Hasty nature. Thus, it creates an upside that makes this spread seem somewhat like Alfalfa's on steroids. Being purely special, however, is this spread's defining feature, as well as its defining downside.

65 HP / 105 Atk / 96 Def / 115 SpA / 84 SpD / 120 Spe - Blackdrakon30
No. The justification and calcs just leave me shaking my head; why would you use a Timid nature when Close Combat is intended to be a main source of damage? 2HKOing Mega Gardevoir with Moonblast is also fairly irrelevant. Though plenty of the calcs that apply to HeaL's spread can be used here, the onus is on the submitter to back it up; Blackdrakon can't fall back on HeaL to do the justification for him. This spread is much more logically conducive to a Hasty nature, like Deck's, or perhaps Naive. Honestly, I feel that this spread could work (I know because I did my own calcs and used logical natures), but I don't understand the majority of Blackdrakon's reasoning, and it's his spread, not mine, so I have to judge it on how he describes it.

80 HP / 85 Atk / 90 Def / 125 SpA / 83 SpD / 122 Spe - david0895
No. It's similar to Deck Knight's spread, both of which are definitely on the more powerful side. Deck, however, shows some restraint by showing that his spread loses to several threats with Stealth Rock up. While david0895's spread allows CAP 22 to take stuff such as Tomohawk's Air Slash with SR up, it just doesn't have a downside to counteract the strong sweepiness, resulting in what looks like BSR abuse.

84 HP / 78 Atk / 86 Def / 115 SpA / 88 SpD / 119 Spe - HeaLnDeaL / snake_rattler
Yes. Like Korski's, this spread is deceptively bulky because it's not conducive to a mixed set. That Special Defense caused me to crook an eyebrow initially, but taking multiple unfavorable situations into account gives this spread a cushion that many other spread don't. cbrevan and I also ran some calcs and concluded it does not mess with our checks and counters too much. The slightly-below-average provides a good counterbalance to that as well.

Thus, here is the slate:
Alfalfa
Deck Knight
Elite Lord Sigma
boxofkangaroos
Korski
HeaLnDeaL

I spoke extensively with cbrevan about all of these, and we were able to comfortably make the call on all of these spreads, so I expect this to be the final slate, barring a change in opinion on CB's end.

Thank you to all of the submitters and to everyone who provided discussion both in the live chat and in the thread. It was a pleasure leading stats, and I look forward to how the poll turns out!

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As Snobalt has stated in his post, I've already discussed this slate at length with him and I agree with all his choices. The selected submissions are all sufficiently unique and well reasoned to work for this CAP, and as such I won't be adding or subtracting anything from this slate. Congratulations to everyone who's submission was selected, and I'll see you guys in the poll!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)