ORAS Doubles OU Newbie's Trick Room

*This is my second competitive team ever, so please don't judge me too harshly!*
Note: I originally forgot to include EV spreads (-‸ლ)

Once upon a time, I acquired a shiny, sassy Cresselia through trading. Of course, I had to make a team for it. Being new at competitive battling, I turned to Smogon for help. These movesets are all from Smogon's Pokédex, along with minor changes that I made after lots of in-game battling. Here's my team!

Luna (Cresselia) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 228 SpA / 16 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs (ideally): 0 Atk / 0 Spe
-Moonblast
-Ice Beam
-Moonlight
-Trick Room

Moonblast is the attack move I use whenever there's an opportunity or nothing else to do. It hits most things pretty hard. I tried Psychic for a while, but Moonblast's typing is just better. Ice Beam wipes out pesky Grass- and Ground- types so that I don't have to switch out. Moonlight increases longevity like crazy, enabling my Cresselia to last for about 4/5 of the entire battle. Trick Room should be pretty self-explanatory.

Clay (Rhyperior) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Ice Punch
-Protect

Rhyperior uses Protect right away. Otherwise, he'd be KO'd right away (which I learned pretty quickly)! That way, he almost always moves first the next tour, once Trick Room is set up. If there's a problem setting up Trick Room, he's usually able to take 1 hit. Rhyperior just spams Earthquake like his life depends on it, which it does, unless there are Flying- or Grass- types out there (in which case he uses Ice Punch or Rock Slide). Rhyperior usually doesn't take long to die, but he sure takes down a lot of opposing Pokémon with him.

Heatran @ Shell Bell
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs (ideally): 0 Atk / 0 Spe
-Eruption
-Earth Power
-Ancient Power
-Protect

Heatran, like Rhyperior, is a suicide sweeper that does its job well. Heatran is just Fire-type and a special sweeper. Thanks to the massive damage done by spamming Eruption, I've found that a Shell Bell is actually useful here. Earth Power and Ancient Power cover opposing Fire and Flying types. Protect is useful when Trick Room is down and when Earthquake is predicted.

Bethany (Azumarill) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Knock Off
-Waterfall

My Azumarill covers my Fire-type weakness (once my Rhyperior is out) and annoys my opponent with Knock Off. Play Rough is the nothing-else-to-do-STAB-move. Aqua Jet is a great move for when Trick Room is down. Azumarill does her job well and lasts pretty long if I time the switch-ins right.

Victini @ Flame Plate
Ability: Victory Star
Brave Nature
IVs (ideally): 0 Spe
-V-create
-Brick Break
-Protect
-Trick Room

Victini is my backup Trick Room setter and physical sweeper. She spams V-Create and Protects when a super-effective move is expected. V-Create lowers her speed each turn, whic is a speed boost in Trick Room, so I am always sure to use that a couple times before anything else as a setup.
However, thanks to the longevity of my Cresselia, Victini rarely needs to show her face on the battlefield. When she does, things are usually going downhill and all of my really low-speed Pokémon (the ones above) are defeated. In really dire situations, I might not bother to set up Trick Room in exchange for more turns.

Claboro (Mega-Venasaur) @ Venasaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 80 SpA / 52 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
-Leech Seed
-Sludge Bomb
-Energy Ball
-Sleep Powder

Leech Seed is a useful recovery move that I can set up on both opposing Pokémon for a nice bonus. Sludge Bomb is my main STAB move, hitting Fairy-types hard. Energy Ball is the other STAB move, hitting a lot of other things hard and taking out Water-types for Victini. Sleep Powder buys time to set up Trick Room safely and is just a really nice move.

-----------------------------

I've really enjoyed playing around with this team, and it always feels good to wipe out some non-suspecting trainers in the Battle Spot Doubles after a hard day. However, I'd really like to put myself in the competitive ring. I hope you like this team and can give me some feedback!

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hi numnum13 :]

You've got a really powerful team here, and Trick Room is a solid strategy for starting out in the Doubles OU format. There's a few sets here that are less than optimal, but the general skeleton for the team, with two Trick Room setters and two strong attackers, with two fillers, is solid. I've got a couple ideas for how you could improve it, but since this is your team it's up to you whether you want to take my advice!

First, the big changes. Although your Trick Room setters are fairly bulky, you have minimal ways to prevent common anti-Trick Room tactics such as Taunt, Fake Out, and Spore / Sleep Powder. Because of that, I'd use some sort of support mon as one of your fillers. Mega Kangaskhan is one of the very best Pokemon in the metagame and its access to Fake Out as well as Inner Focus can really help your team set its necessary field conditions. However, using Mega Kangaskhan would mean you could not use Mega Venusaur anymore, so I'd recommend using Amoonguss instead - it still has Spore to put threats to sleep, but it's far slower for better utility under Trick Room and its bulk combined with access to Rage Powder lets it redirect strong attacks away from its teammates. However, since you can't have 7 Pokemon, you'd still need to remove one other member. In my eyes, Heatran is the one that overlaps most with the rest of your team, so although Eruptran is a fantastic attacker under Trick Room, it's not essential to this team.

Aside from those two, the only other changes I have in mind are pretty minor, but there are a couple for every Pokemon, so here goes. Cresselia is a fantastically bulky Pokemon, but it can be difficult to avoid it becoming dead weight because its offenses are a little sub-par. So, a more supportive set with Sitrus Berry > Leftovers and Helping Hand > Moonlight would likely serve your team better. Although Moonblast has great coverage, Cresselia should have Psychic so that it can deal somewhat decent damage to neutral targets, and 2HKO things like Keldeo and Terrakion which typically carry Taunt that otherwise may cause problems. For Rhyperior, I'd probably replace Ice Punch with Hammer Arm so that you have something that can quickly deal with Mega Kangaskhan, as well as a way to further lower your speed so that Rhyperior moves before Pokemon like Amoonguss and Reuniclus. You already have plenty of checks to Dragon-, Grass-, and Flying-types, so Ice Punch probably won't be missed too much. A Life Orb set also deals more consistent damage than an Expert Belt one, especially as you have multiple spread moves that aren't likely to hit both foes super effectively. A Lum Berry set with Stone Edge > Rock Slide is also quite effective.

Azumarill is a terrifying threat for many teams, but it's most dangerous with a Belly Drum set, which could be fairly easily executed now that you have a Fake Out user in Mega Kangaskhan, a redirector in Amoonguss, and speed control from Cresselia / Victini. If you don't like Belly Drum due to the riskiness of the set up, I really like a Life Orb set with Aqua Tail on Trick Room teams, as it takes on Landorus-T extremely effectively. Victini can be far more effective if it has Safety Goggles to help it set Trick Room. Also, Brick Break is extremely weak to everything that isn't hit 4x super effectively, but the only such target that I can think of is Bisharp, which is already knocked out by V-Create. Thus, I'm recommending Bolt Strike as your coverage move, which takes on Water-types that think they'll be a solid answer.

Lastly, I noticed that you didn't provide EV spreads for any of your Pokemon, so I've added some standard ones in the modified Importable below, with some explanations at the bottom of the hide tag.

Cresselia (F) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Def / 92 SpA / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand
- Trick Room

Rhyperior @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide / Stone Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry / Life Orb
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum (if Sitrus) / Aqua Tail (if Life Orb)
- Protect

Victini @ Safety Goggles
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Trick Room
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect / Foul Play

Cresselia's EVs allow it to avoid a 2HKO from standard Hydreigon or any one hit from Life Orb Bisharp, with the remainder in Special Attack. Mega Kangaskhan's set is tailored to ensure that it withstands one Secret Sword from Life Orb Keldeo, with the rest in Attack. It has Inner Focus to ensure that its Fake Out will be able to connect on Turn 1 no matter what, and Low Kick to hurt Heatran and opposing Mega Kangaskhan really hard. Amoonguss' EVs let it take Latios's Psychic, and aside from that its set is pretty standard, aside from a potential Foul Play used in place of Protect so that your team has a better Aegislash matchup.

Good luck with the team!

Thank you so much for your critique! This is really helpful and I'm definitely going to make a lot of the changes you suggested. I'm so embarrassed that I forgot to add the EV spreads (╯_╰) Thank you, I'm super excited to improve my team now!

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
tfw wifi-crash-sniped by tree

Hey, welcome to dubs, I hope you enjoy your first competitive experience! Trick room is a decent playstyle, a few of your mons and sets aren't optimal but overall it's a good framework.

The issues: mega venu has no place on trick room because it's just not offensive enough, you lack a disruptor to help set tr, and your typings are a bit unbalanced. You're also missing ev spreads, but you already know that.

Mon swaps would probably be porygon2>cresselia, mega kangaskhan>venusaur, and sylveon>rhyperior. Porygon is just a better version of offensive cress, kang adds a form of disruption in fake out and is just all around good, and sylveon benefits from your original double fires which are really good at removing steels.

The rest of my rate is just optimized set/item choices, most of which have already been covered by tree, so good luck! By the way, the main difference in my rate is that I kept your double fires.
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Atk / 28 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Protect

Victini @ Life Orb
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Trick Room
- Protect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Hyper Beam

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
yo, what up :)! a friend hmu to look over this team so here goes:

While the basic framework of your team is fine, the sets are not; some of your Pokemon can fit better roles by having their sets improved here and there. Another thing that's noticeable is that you can pick better Pokemon over Victini and Azumarill as the former's a bit redundant with Heatran and the latter's pretty underwhelming when it's not running a Belly Drum set; contrary to what the guy above me said though, you CAN use Mega Venusaur to some effect in Full Trick Room lol. Last is that you're a bit weak to Volcanion because you struggle to really touch it outside of the Steam Eruption-weak Rhyperior while it's just free to whittle you down. You're also weak to Amoonguss since it can just Spore anything it wants in TR. Anyway, here goes my suggestions.

My first suggestions would be using Porygon2 over Victini and Scrafty over Azumarill. Like I said, the two you had originally were a bit off for this team. In addition to doing whatever you needed Victini and Azumarill (set TR, check Lando-T...), Scrafty and P2 can give you Fake Out support to assist in setting TR (by temporarily denying Taunt, Spore, etc) and check Volcanion with TBolt, respectively. Scrafty also helps you touch Dark-weak threats such as Jirachi, oppossing Cresselia, Aegislash..., which lets you deal with stuff like those more easily, while Porygon2 gives you another pivot thanks to its typing, really high bulk, and recovery, meaning you can play the long game much more effectively if needed.

My next suggestions are more about optimizing your sets in order to fit the team better and / or to be more efficient and effective. First thing is to make Cresselia a CM set in order to give you a really threatening wincon; a set for picking off a key threat or two isn't really as effective due to your team not really being able to capitalize on it as much, meaning making Cresselia your wincon-slash-tr setter the ideal route (it can fulfill both handily, don't worry, and it can fit Safety Goggles naturally which gives you an Amoonguss switch-in). Next suggestion would be to change Rhyperior's moveset to Drill Run / Stone Edge / Hammer Arm and item to Life Orb in order to make your matchup against both Mega Kangaskhan and Volcanion easier and make it more of an offensive threat in general instead of against select foes. You kinda have to give up EQ because the only Ground-immunity you have is Cresselia, while Stone Edge is preferred for giving you that strong burst damage, useful not only for specific targets such as Volcanion but also as general purpose consistent damage. On Heatran, you should use Charcoal and Heat Wave over Shell Bell and Eruption as your current set is quite inconsistent, with Shell Bell also being underwhelming and unnoticeable in general play. You'd really prefer just doing good general damage that doesn't depend on your HP as, considering your team, you'd really like to switch Heatran in on attacks and pivot around with it. Last change is Synthesis over Leech Seed on Mega Venusaur since Leech Seed takes too long to heal Mega Venusaur; you'd need to heal it often since it's kinda your best tank in the whole squad. I also recommend Giga Drain on it; with Giga Drain, Synthesis, and its high bulk, you'll find that Mega Venusaur can 1v1 a good number of stuff in the meta effectively and can just function as a nuisance all-around.
Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Moonlight

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drill Run
- Stone Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Protect

Heatran @ Charcoal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 220 Atk / 44 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 80 SpA / 52 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Rhyperior has that kind of HP in order to hit a Life Orb number, while Scrafty has Stone Edge in order to help against Mega Charizard Y; you can make Scrafty's item Lum Berry if you like. The spread for Porygon2 is simply from the analysis

GL :pimp:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Wow man, excellent start for a new player I absolutely adore having tini on a TR team and personally I had great success using it and just spamming v create inside TR + its fantastic bulk.
Talking tree has given most of the good points but since I am here I will still give it a rate.

1) First change is kind of a big one, though it has gone out of prominence lately but I still prefer calm mind cress on a TR team, its generally very useful being a bulky win con as generally opponents tend to ignore it. You can make it mono attacking with attacking move of your choice like moonblast/psyshock/ice beam at, +2 its virtually unbreakable. Also replace sitrus with safety goggles so that it counters amoongus inside TR better. Psychic is considerably stronger but moonblast provides best coverage, so its your choice like totally.

2) Rhyperior is pretty cool but personally I would change it to life orb lando-t for some intimidate support and even more power, you can even use it to bluff scarf for first turn so that any charizard and stuff is forced to protect as you set up TR.I know its faster but intimidate support is pretty awesome.

3) Next up kanga with inner focus is perfect for this team to absorb fake outs and allow you to set up your TR. You could even get cheeky and use hammer arm under TR. I would have considered pup but kanga is too fast for setting up inside TR.

4) Now as you can't use mega venu anymore just use amoongus for some redirection and spore support which allows your azu to set up.

5) Now azu is fine but you for it to be a real threat under TR belly drum is most apt set specially with amoongus and not many spread moves being super effective on it(except sludge wave but who uses it lol).As for the coverage knock off/frustration provide much better coverage than play rough along with aqua jet. Knock off nails aegi, while frustration kills mega venu however rare it is. Both kill volcanion and amoongus.

6) Now here comes tini, one of the best mons ever lol, you should use goggles on it though as tini is a fantastic sun check. also it allows it to check char-venu with authority and allows it to ignore amoongus. But if you feel you have enough sleep support, you can obviously use life orb as life orb tini is immensely strong. I mean like really really strong!

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Trick Room

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Atk
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Victini @ Life Orb / Safety Goggles
Brave Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Protect
- Trick Room

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Belly Drum
- Protect

I am not that good at spreads so if you find any spreads use them.

Well that's all, best of luck ;o)

[importable]
[importable]

Last edited:
Wow thank you! I'm glad you like my Victini :D Just wondering if that's too many physical moves and not enough special? I'm not really sure how much it matters lol

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Yeah, I just noticed that too, but don't worry most of them don't mind being at -1 and you have a redirector to direct will-o-wisps from your attackers, so you should be fine.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)