[Gym Qualifiers] - Fairy: April 14th, 2016

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
BTW just so we are all on the same page here:

1) There won't be another thread. This is the one we will use.
2) You still need to sign up here. Even if took part in a previous qualifier.
3) The team will be composed of the same pokemon above. But their movepool might get a tad larger when you aren't watching.

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
In lieu of the above

Officially signing up for the second instance of the qualifiers!

FROSTYEDIT: Third instance actually.

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
"Mowtom! Mowtom! Did you hear the big news?"
"No, what is it?"
"Nobody was good enough to be the Fairy gym leader, so they're holding tryouts again! You should join!"
"Um. About that. Joy and Gamzee are really strong, sure, but Koboi is still weak and I don't have any other Fairy-types."
"And that brings me to my brilliant idea! Remember that AMAZING show I saw recently?"
"Yeah, with the Pokemon actors."
"They joined my team...and all three are or will evolve into Fairies! You can use them to win!"
"Is that even allowed? They're your Pokemon, after all."
"I checked. We can be joint Gym Leaders, like Tate and Liza!"
"Just so long as you don't force me to do Double Battles, sounds fine with me."
"Hooray!"

Translation: In it to win it

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
rawr (yes)

EDIT: willing to take more than one if need to

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Warning: I am being harsh in this analysis just to be clear on something: despite how "close" the battles were, the plays weren't all that impressive. Whoever takes this will most definitely need to step up their game quite a bit to measure up to the expectations involving this typing (a very good typing all in all, so it should be a good challenge) and perhaps get out of the shadow of the previous gym leader. The positive side is that both have potential to get to that point, or else I wouldn't bother with comments, so this post is like a praise disguised as a reprimand, so please read it as such.

jayelt413 :
- Good news: It was a step up from your latest performance. Bad news: It probably wasn't possible to be any worse than it.
- Mawile vs Bronzong? Togekiss? Don't be fooled by the end result here, those were questionable plays. Mawile has no business against a pokemon that can skill swap its abilities away, while Metagross was waiting for it. And Togekiss at all? What would happen if the flinch didn't happen and Emma didn't counterswitched? Or if Emma went with the safer dodge sub instead of a metal claw sub? You were lucky as fuck Emma played that sub and the cards fell as they did, because if not, you would be in some pretty rough waters. Or at least a different situation entirely.
- That being said, the encore followed by the counters were a pretty thing, and the way you managed to make a success out of a failure was indeed impressive. Kudos.
- First round started with a lovely blunder. "AND XXX is faster" should be muscle memory in those subs. It would need a division on the first sub, but that is minor. The fact is that those subs were unnecessarily abusable. And that is quite a primary error, so really, those aren't excusable.
- Good mime response to Bronzong. No problems here.
- Again: muscle memory. Protect subs begs for non-consecutive clauses. You lost your Mawile too easily because it lacked one. And again, it is a primary error that isn't excusable. You are far beyond the mark to keep making those newbie mistakes.
- I gotta say that switch to mawile was weird. Actually it wasn't weird, it was just sad. Mega Mawile is hands down the most threatening Fairy against that team and yet it was basically a glorified fodder -_-. Its best accomplishment in the entire match was being flinched. I would be embarrassed -_-.
- Nice sub abuse on Mime. Although I'd bet it was just Emma on "not giving much shit to this already won battle" mode.

So in summary we had great plays on togekiss and mime and horrible plays with mawile. The entire Togekiss business had a fuckton of risk and luck involved, so, while the end result was very nifty your way, it won't be considered as such. But all-in-all it will be considered as a plus for you, despite all the "ifs".

Mowtom :
- Good news: You are usually a very good player. Bad news: Not in this battle.
- You people and your Mawiles facing bronzongs. Did your Azumarills get on strike or something? Or that was just fear of Heavy Slams? I mean, in theory Heavy Slam does more to Mawile (in percentage) than to Azumarill. Maybe I am missing something important, but I don't get that move at all. Despite Mawile being better vs Bronzong than Azumarill, Mawile was WAY better vs Mega Metagross than any other fairy existant, excluding maybe fairy arceus -_-.
- Points for you: You did the first round as it was supposed to be done and began this match in a better position than jay. Even though stealth rock is a bitch there is not much you can do about it.
- Mime REALLY needed a sub for u-turn (if u-turn THEN teleport at the first instance). It could be seen from a mile. Yes Mime would be easy target for dig, but that switch was the first step of your defeat. Try to make ends meet.
- Those mega evolution rules are there for ever and ever. Ever since they were implemented. Not knowing about them is a HUGE mistake.
- There is good encore and pointess encore. Your mime encore has Metagross was pointless. You could get that damage difference through other means or be the smart man and leave Metagross to Mawile through chicken dance.
- Priorities. The only way (iirc) Metagross can remove Endure is through toxic, so that first sub is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more likely to play out than the second p/e move (why on earth would metagross p/e -_-). Yes hindsight is awesome and I am in a pretty confortable place doing this criticism now that the shit is over, but you really should have considered the possibility of your rest being disrupted, because it was really really likely. That + encore + the blunder above means you lost your mr. mime. And lemme tell you with all the kindness in my heart: it takes merely a fool to waste a mawile (as it has few trickery), but it takes a master of disaster to waste a Mr. Mime -_-. The reason why I am saying this, other than to be mean, is to make a point: you wasted mime through 3 or 4 equally considerable blunders, it was no small thing.
- You started with a strong play of mawile and ended with an average play of it. It was before jay made his big mistakes so I assume you weren't really into the fight and were just took with the flow. Emma was dictating how things went until Garde entered the field.
- You played Garde vs Fidgit really well. Except that Gardevoir was not a proper anchor for your team (the moment it entered the play as final mon, we all knew you would lose the match). If you were forced to that situation, then it means that the cards weren't played as they should.
- I find it disappointing that you did the interesting unintuitive choice of counterswitching mawile out, but the weird intuitive choice of sending gardevoir in. Gardevoir can't defeat Metagross and Bronzong, it just can't (Shadow Ball deals 16.5 to meta and 12 to zong, and meta deals 27 and zong 25.5). So your best choice to win was to go with azumarill and use the mawile to get rid of first-to-orders rounds or to force a counterswitch. And see what you could do with it. If you didn't have hope with it, you should have tried your luck with Mawile, as between pain split, endure and rest you could at least try to stall a round.

In summary you played really well with Gardevoir, well with mawile and terrible with Mime. Your subs were good for the most part and your battling was more consistent, but your mistakes were more off the mark. And you lost the matchups war soundly and Emma got in the matchup he wanted when he wanted and how he wanted.

I will be honest here: I expected both of you to win (at least one of you). Not because of Emma (who is better than me), but because of his roster, as it placed a toll on Mega Metagross (although the fact that the other roster was played on 3 battles means that changing it was probably the most efficient idea). And the fact that Fairy made a name out of itself with a non-existant arena, facing tougher pokemon (hi mega aggron and steelix) and with less pokemon to work with. It is one of those (few) qualifiers where a victory over the examiner is very likely.

As far as mistakes go, both of you did a lot. Not enough to do a fourth qualifier, so don't worry about that. But enough for you to be very worried (and me as well). Jay's mistakes were due to inexperience and Mowtom's mistakes due to lack of attention. Aside from the whole Mawile vs Bronzong shenaningans, there were no big strategy errors (errors that jay himself made by the dozens on his previous run). There is no "better" or "worse" mistake here, as you can get more experienced and you can pay more attention to things. The two things that will be determinant to my decision were: matchups control and the ability to play with what you have (to make lemonades). Those are important not because this is sparta singles, but because you will usually begin this battle losing on teambuilding and needing to win matchups instead of winning as a team. For it you need to control matchups for the most part, and when you fail at that, you need to know how to improvise really really well. Both qualities are necessary for a GL and (thankfully for me) the same person was better in both qualities. So without further ado, we are almost happy to declare that the new Fairy Gym Leader is

Elevator Music!

Not funny? Sorry I mean Elevator Music!

...fine, it is jayelt413. Congrats!

Please present your arena asap. You too Rainman Legends.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)