Monotype Rock Offensive Fossil

ROCK MONOTYPE

This is my first RMT, based on a Rock Monotype team I have tested in the field. If I missed out on anything in the requirements of making an RMT post, I would like to know, please.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

This team has no real centerpiece, but if it did, it would be Aerodactyl Mega. After it Mega Evolves, Aerodactyl has frightening attack and speed, able to act as a terrifying revenge killer with pursuit or to put large holes in the opposing team with its STAB Stone Edge. Although it reaches a high 405 Attack and keeps a superb 399 Speed with Adamant Nature, I chose Jolly as it allows Aerodactyl to outspeed large opposing threats such as a Mega Gyrados after Dragon Dance, And Jolly Mega Beedril, which, while not a serious threat, is annoying and can weaken some team members that would like to stay healthy, such Cradily and Kabutops, which hates being worn down, minus Life Orb recoil.

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Roost

Archeops hits equally as hard as Aerodactyl, having 5 more base attack, but has much less speed and lacks Tough Claws. It does, however, have access to a 100% accuracy, 110 base power STAB attack in Acrobatics, which requires Archeops to not hold an item. Unfortunately, Archeops suffers from it's ability, Defeatist, which will essentially halve its damage output when its health drops below 50%. This is somewhat remedied by Roost, but as such, you should avoid switching into attacks with Archeops.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Kabutops and Omastar are a duo on this team, both having lackluster speed but access to Swift Swim, which will double their speed and power up their Water-type STABs. Kabutops is the Physical attacker of the two, and also this teams only way of removing entry hazards, albiet losing health to Life Orb recoil while removing them, making it unable switch in and out repeatedly to remove hazards constantly. Kabutops is no slacker in damage, though, with 361 attack, and, when in the rain, reaches over 500 speed, and has a powerful rain-boosted STAB in Waterfall. Aqua jet is to pick off weakened foes and help with late game sweeping.

Omastar @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Scald

Omastar is Kabuto's partner in crime, gaining a Swift Swim boost just like its friend, and able to set up rain and hazards. It has a good special attack and can tank most attacks, setting up rain and then, while under a swift swim boost, able to use its rain boosted scald to kill the opponent if it can, or set up spikes, if only to allow Kabutops to break through Focus Sashes that would otherwise end its sweep. It would be holding Damp Rock instead of leftovers, but Damp Rock is banned in Monotype, which limits it and Kabutops sweeping potential.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Rock Slide

Cradily's unique Rock/Grass typing, bulk, and access to Storm Drain makes it a great defensive pokemon, granting an immunity to Water, resistances to Electric and Normal, and has weaknesses in Ice, Fighting, Bug, and Steel, all of which are uncommon Monotype team types. Access to Recover and a special attack in Giga Drain, and a physical one in Rock Slide, Cradily can handle a multitude of threats, especially ones that are weak to its dual STABs, such as Fire, Water, and Flying Monotypes.

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rock Polish
- Hyper Voice
- Freeze-Dry
- Ancient Power

Aurorus is a powerful special attacker and, with its ability Refridgerate, has a 117 base power STAB with Hyper Voice. Ancient Power is mainly used against Fire monotypes, as they resists both Ice STABs, but are weak to Rock moves. Freeze Dry may seem redundant, as it has only 70 BP and is outranked by Hyper Voice, but Freeze Dry is a STAB that hits Water types for super effective damage. A Modest Nature is the best, as 214 speed is still reached, enough to reach over 400 speed after a Rock Polish boost, ensured by the held Focus Sash. The problem is Aurorus does not like being forced out, and rarely should except by pokemon such as Chansey, who will take minimal damage but cannot do much to whatever switches in.

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey there, interesting looking team. It could use a bit of improvement, however.

• -->
    ; Mega Aggron is much more useful than Mega Aerodactyl on Rock-type teams because of its bulk and ability to set up with Curse. It can check Steel-types except things like Heatran, which are a big threat to Rock-type teams.
  • -->
    ; Shuckle provides amazing utility for Rock-type teams with its amazing bulk and access to Sticky Webs and Stealth Rock. It can Encore Pokemon that try to set up, heal or get up their own hazards. It can phase out set-up sweepers if you run Red Card on it and it can take any hit from full HP thanks to Sturdy. So I highly recommend adding Shuckle over Archeops, which pretty much does nothing on your team.
  • -->
    ; The only Ground-type check you need is Omastar, so I recommend replacing Kabutops with a very strong wallbreaker in Terrakion which outside of wallbreaker, is really useful against Steel- and Normal-type teams.
  • Utility --> Shell Smash, Leftovers --> Air Balloon ; A Shell Smash set with Air Balloon is going to allow you to set up quite easily for Ground-types such as Choice Band Excadrill locked into Earthquake or Mamoswine, and proceed to sweep.
  • Stealth Rock --> Toxic ; By adding Shuckle as your hazard setter, you're now free to add Toxic on Cradily for whittling down the foe's Pokemon because you really don't need any other moves on this Pokemon.
  • -->
    ; Tyranitar is an amazing Pokemon for Rock-type teams because of its Sand Stream ability which boosts the Special Defense of all your teams. It's also useful for its amazing Special Defense and great coverage, while Aurorus is a pretty meh option to use on Rock-type teams.
Aggron-Mega (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse / Fire Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Shuckle (M) @ Mental Herb
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Toxic

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Omastar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!

Hey there, interesting looking team. It could use a bit of improvement, however.

• -->
    ; Mega Aggron is much more useful than Mega Aerodactyl on Rock-type teams because of its bulk and ability to set up with Curse. It can check Steel-types except things like Heatran, which are a big threat to Rock-type teams.
  • -->
    ; Shuckle provides amazing utility for Rock-type teams with its amazing bulk and access to Sticky Webs and Stealth Rock. It can Encore Pokemon that try to set up, heal or get up their own hazards. It can phase out set-up sweepers if you run Red Card on it and it can take any hit from full HP thanks to Sturdy. So I highly recommend adding Shuckle over Archeops, which pretty much does nothing on your team.
  • -->
    ; The only Ground-type check you need is Omastar, so I recommend replacing Kabutops with a very strong wallbreaker in Terrakion which outside of wallbreaker, is really useful against Steel- and Normal-type teams.
  • Utility --> Shell Smash, Leftovers --> Air Balloon ; A Shell Smash set with Air Balloon is going to allow you to set up quite easily for Ground-types such as Choice Band Excadrill locked into Earthquake or Mamoswine, and proceed to sweep.
  • Stealth Rock --> Toxic ; By adding Shuckle as your hazard setter, you're now free to add Toxic on Cradily for whittling down the foe's Pokemon because you really don't need any other moves on this Pokemon.
  • -->
    ; Tyranitar is an amazing Pokemon for Rock-type teams because of its Sand Stream ability which boosts the Special Defense of all your teams. It's also useful for its amazing Special Defense and great coverage, while Aurorus is a pretty meh option to use on Rock-type teams.
Aggron-Mega (M) @ Aggronite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse / Fire Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Shuckle (M) @ Mental Herb
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Toxic

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Omastar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Atk / 124 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a couple of changes into consideration, but doing all of them just feels like a different team. Also, if I switch all these pokemon out, my team is left weak to physical walls, and it becomes hard to keep momentum. I definitely think I could replace toxic spikes on Omastar with Shell Smash though! Good idea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)