Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: August 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pretty much

Sort of like discouraging a user but for Pokemon on PS

Or a separate section idc

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
A lot of people are saying Ambipom and Cinccino should drop, and I agree with that. But would they be any good in NU?

Well they both outrun Tauros, the premier Normal type in NU - they have 115 Speed compared to Tauros's 110. In terms of power, Ambipom matches Tauros's base 100 Attack while Cinccino comes out slightly lower at 95. Cinccino's Tail Slap does outdamage Tauros's Rock Climb. In terms of damage, Ambipom comes up the shortest - while its base Attack is the same as Tauros, the bull has Sheer Force.

252 Atk Life Orb Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 145-175 (35.3 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 133-156 (32.4 - 38%) -- 94.7% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Ambipom Return vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Mega Audino: 114-136 (27.8 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

In terms of bulk, Tauros easily outshines them. They all share the same base 75 HP, but Tauros has 95/70 defences; Ambipom only has 66/66, while Cinccino only has 60/60. Tauros wins out in terms of movepool - it has Earthquake, Fire Blast, Zen Headbutt, Rock Slide and Iron Tail, the latter 4 all getting a Sheer Force boost. Cinccino does have a niche in Skill Link Bullet Seed though, which lets it smash through Gastrodon and defensive Carracosta.

To summarise, while Cinccino may have a niche Tauros would usually be better. And Ambipom would still be outclassed.
Ambipom's niche would be outspeeding Tauros

lol

Doing some research to see if Tauros always is better

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Swellow outruns Tauros too and with Guts it hits harder than Ambipom. Unless you REALLY need that extra 5 base speed and Fake Out Tauros would be better.

MemeMeme Island Typhlosion was NU before it got banned so even if it got less usage which it should it would only be bl3.
I was joking. Was that not clear?

As I said, I will make a legit post later on the matter, I am currently away.

I was joking. Was that not clear?

As I said, I will make a legit post later on the matter, I am currently away.
Not always easy to tell with text sorry I missed that.

Good to see Tornadus getting the recognition it deserves, hope more people start using Kyurem as well. I wasn't surprised to see Quagsire drop I suspect it'll be back in NU before too long

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not always easy to tell with text sorry I missed that.

Good to see Tornadus getting the recognition it deserves, hope more people start using Kyurem as well. I wasn't surprised to see Quagsire drop I suspect it'll be back in NU before too long
Yeah, Internet sarcasm doesn't exist XD

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Uh no lol.

Those mons all have legitimae usage to be warranted to stay OU and zapdos has been getting more usage due to ladder tournament in being able to check the spammed bird spam team. Jirachi is also seriously good and got better why would it drop.

Kyurem-b is also an inconsistent mon. Zapdos having more usage isnt a surprise but I doubt in this instance it has to do with "OU players are dumb". Lol come on.

Zapdos is definitely not one of those 'mons that you just slap on a team. It's really only good on mostly stall teams or to fill a specific niche. I personally am more of a fan that it than others but I see why it's not exactly a top tier one. Something not dropping isn't always "lmao (insert tier name here) is dumb" like with Ambipom.

And Jirachu for UU?! Wat. I can somewhat get the want for Mew, Raikou and even Zapdos but Jirachi?!

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's also the fact that Jirachi is a legitimately good Pokemon in OU (and has been for a long time). It's always has really good reasons to be used since its typing allows it to check stuff like Latios and Mega Diancie and it's always had really good utility in U-turn, SR, and Healing Wish, which are all really, really good. It's also fairly versatile since it can run quite a few sets, so it's far from one-dimensional with how to use it.

It's not just necessarily about how Jirachi would potentially perform in UU (not commenting on this), it's also about the fact that it's a completely good Pokemon that is a relative metagame staple of the OU metagame, and it will continually see high usage in the tier unless its viability starts to drop dramatically. It has no reason to drop from OU because it's a staple of the tier and isn't going down in usage anytime soon. It's always been a very good Pokemon completely deserving of its OU status. There is nothing about it that makes it undeserving of usage in OU.

(July 2016 OU stats)
| 38 | Azelf | 5.46893% | 53856 | 1.015% | 49239 | 1.237% |
| 53 | Charizard-Mega-Y | 3.32436% | 384724 | 7.248% | 296940 | 7.458% |

UU players are going to throw a hissy fit if this trend continues

Drought is banned in UU and below, so at worst Charizard Y would be BL. As for Azlef rising, WTF is wrong with you OU players? Why would you run Azelf when you can run Alakazam(-Mega)? As far as I can see, the only things it has over Zam are Fire Blast, Stealth Rock and U-turn. If you want a suicide lead, why not run Aerodactyl? It's faster than Azelf, has better typing and slightly better bulk. Is Explosion that big a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)