ORAS LC Shell Smash Binacle Trap Team

Do you think we could have an NFE tier that caps the level at 50?

• Total voters
Hey guys, how's it going? My name is mrseacoore and today we're looking at a team I had an idea for while at work, then went to create after getting off work. I'm going to showcase this team on my youtube channel in about a week or two (I've got a bunch of recordings to upload first before then).
Here's a link to my channel if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcynWwQc_ksCCSMkp2bOrjQ

Thank you to everyone who's interested and thank you everybody for supporting the channel in any way. The only reason I have a channel is purely for fun. ^.^
Anyway...
I'm pretty happy with the team results, but I feel like I have some problems in a few areas with the team.
The primary concept of the team is offense and elimination. Binacle is the star of the team if the title of this post wasn't clear enough. Binacle has several weaknesses that need to be removed from the field before it can even hope to set up a shell smash. Those are mainly grass and fighting types, both of which are quite prevalent in the current LC meta right now. Focus Sash Abra is also a problem for Binacle if it's trying to sweep. That's why I like being able to trap things and help out Binacle for the later stages of a battle. Gothita and Diglett are two pokemon in LC with trapping abilities, Shadow Tag and Arena Trap respectively (the only other pokemon capable of trapping things with abilities in LC are Trapinch, Wynaut, Nosepass, and Magnemite).
Gothita traps fighting types and water types with its ability and can easily help out the team that way. The only fighting type it doesn't want to trap is Scraggy. After enough prior damage (usually hazards, as this team does use rocks and spikes), Gothita can effectively remove threats for my team. Diglett is a trapper, and it is a ground type. It has a role similar to Gothita, but more geared toward being a cleaner and revenge killer. It is immune to electric moves and it can be a serious problem when you consider how its ability functions. Sometimes you have to keep something from coming out just because you don't want it to die the next turn to Diglett. Diglett has a nice bonus of being able to bring bulkier water types to their knees after prior damage, such as bulky Chinchou and Skrelp. Diglett also can use Memento to give Binacle a pretty easy shell smash boost. Sadly, Diglett can rarely switch straight into battle, even on some predicted electric moves simply due to the fact that it has such terrible defenses. If your opponent reads a Diglett counter to volt switch or t-bolt, you lose a pokemon given you make that play to throw in Diglett to counter an electric move. The team isn't bad, but there are issues I have with it. The biggest issue in my mind is SD Pawniard. I have Diglett, but clearly Diglett isn't taking a Sucker Punch and unfortunately Memento is my move of choice over Substitute for my Diglett. Even then, Sucker Punch is a move that causes 50/50s depending on what your opponent is thinking. ("Do I predict a sub or risk giving them a free move?") I have had Zero issues with this monster thus far, and I'm rated 1385 with "Fuafua" (still moving up the ladder, I haven't peaked).
The point of my team is pretty self explanatory just by looking at it and seeing what roles everything has for the team. I don't really think I have a need to use Diglett on my team and that something like Fletchinder, Archen, Gastly, or possibly Wynaut, would have a lot more to offer for the team. I feel like there are some forms of stall that I simply cannot break with this team. I feel like Hyper Offenses with multiple revenge killers tend to give me a slightly disadvantageous matchup. Abra with a sash, Opposing Diglett, Scarf Mienfoo, berry juice+sturdy users, etc. So let me just jump into the team.

Binacle @ Eviolite
Ability: Tough Claws
Level: 5
EVs: 100 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake / Stone Edge / Return

Binacle is the center of the team. The whole team is based around helping Binacle set up for a sweep late game, among doing other things. After a shell smash, this thing will run you over. Its coverage is wonderful, with a way to destroy Ferro via tough claws boosted cross chop. Razor Shell is powerful STAB thanks to the tough claws ability as well. Earthquake was the primary move to use in the 4th slot because it lures in things like Skrelp and Croagunk. Stone Edge was and is very much a viable move to use in the 4th slot. I really just wanted to have something with perfect accuracy somewhere seeing as the two contact moves have chances of missing, which can be incredibly annoying when you need the sweep to happen. This is a solid mon with a great offensive ability and good coverage. I feel it's a little bit underrated just because it gets outclassed by shell smash Tirtouga and Omante for various reasons, but it does a certain job that neither of those two can in the fact that it is a bit faster and can take a neutral special hit slightly better. It has different coverage and that in itself can be useful. There are some instances where not shell smashing is better as well. I've had several moments where sacking Binacle gave me a win just because a team centered around one sweeper causes your opponent to play in a way where they don't allow that sweeper to ever come in and set up. It's not very difficult to see when a team keeps all of its brooms in one closet... What? Bad metaphor? Overall, this is why the team was made and I understand that viability and being outclassed by something else is a thing, but being outclassed doesn't make something unusable. This is a very powerful pokemon that actually is surprisingly versatile.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off

This is basically standard Ferroseed with spikes over thunder wave. This has a useful synergy with the team overall and is just so bulky all on its own, even being able to take some hits even without an eviolite. It's great for Abra lacking HP Fire. It can check a variety of flying type pokemon and it can typically check Diglett and it's a pretty strong counter to water types not running HP fire, which isn't entirely common for most teams. Although this invites in things like Timburr, Scraggy, and Mienfoo, I have a scarfed Gothita to trap and potentially KO a majority of fighting type pokemon who come in while I double to Gothita or checks them after I allow Ferro to die. Scraggy is unfortunately more difficult to deal with, which is another reason I don't like having Diglett on the team. It bringing in fighting types that I can deal with via Shadow Tag Gothita is a big part of the team as this greatly eases Binacle's job and supports Binacle in general. Unfortunately, this thing does poorly against pawniard, which is undeniably prominent in LC. Other than that though, Ferro is a super solid pokemon and makes for a great teammate for a large number of pokemon, the ones on this team are no exception.

Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Before Shadow Tag was banned from OU down to PU and FU, Gothitelle was able to neutralize threats to stall and basically trap anything it needed to for a team. This was deemed to broken for those tiers, hence the ability being banned. Other Shadow Tag users did the same thing with varying effectiveness. So, why not make use of it in LC? I need this to trap fighting types that aren't named Scraggy in the pokedex. It even partly traps non-scarf Chinchou and U-turn Fletch and smack them with coverage before they pivot out of play. It's a pretty self explanatory moveset with three attacks, STAB in Psychic and Trick for a last ditch effort to avoid Sucker Punches if absolutely necessary. Trick is otherwise a move that will cripple a wall, such as Snubbull and Cottonee. This is a really cool mon with a lovely ability to support teams. It puts in really good work against a fair amount of builds.

Diglett @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

This is pretty standard for Diglett. It's a strong pokemon with a ton of speed and spammable STAB that traps things on the ground with a cool ability. It has good coverage despite being its only coverage. Like I said above, Diglett is a double edged thing, especially for this team. It ain't switching into battle without something dying to bring it in 9 times out of 10. The only other time it can come in is on a momentum gaining pivot move on the Chinchou+Mienfoo combo on this team. This is a tough thing to use and it is very unhelpful against Pawniard since Pawniard straight up OHKOs Diglett with any attack. But this is an incredible cleaner and one of the best ground type pokemon available in LC. I feel like I don't really need Diglett for my team, but I also just like having Diglett there. Honestly, I'm siding with suggestions to use over Diglett that can put in more work for the team in general.

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick

Boom! One of the best pokemon in LC. It's hard to argue that Mienfoo is bad for any team just because of its versatility, bulk, speed, and power, not to mention its great offensive typing and access to the deadly move, STAB High Jump Kick. This is the bulky variant with Regenerator. It's a fast pokemon in LC with recovery in Drain Punch and Regenerator. Knock Off is one of the best utility moves anything can use. U-turn is great for offensive momentum and activating that ability to recover 1/3 of my HP. There's not too much else to say about Mienfoo. It's my primary way of handling Pawniard and bulky mons that aren't ready to take an HJK to the throat. Even without any investment in attack, HJK is just a really dangerous attack in general.

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

This set is one of the most used in LC for offensive teams right now, checking flying types, providing electric immunity, being a speedy offensive pivot, being able to clean, and being a solid pokemon in general with its movepool and variety in its role on a team. It's a really good pokemon, and the scarf set is just nice to have on offense. This is very standard for the scarf set and I am not really going to explain it since this set is pretty commonly seen in practice. Chinchou for my team provides me with a strong Volt-Turn core with Mienfoo as a partner, which is a great duo in its own right. I need this to outpace a variety of threats. Timid Nature is used over Modest for two reasons. The first reason is for the fact that I have spike stacking, which means that I can afford to lose some attack on something if speed is more desirable. The second reason is not only to outspeed the Modest Nature variant of this set, but also to outpace a majority of neutral speed natured scarfed users as well. The extra point in speed from Timid Nature allows me to outspeed Adamant Scarfed Mienfoo, Jolly Scarfed Pawniard, and anything below that. This able to outspeed a boosted Tirtouga as well. So having that speed is very nice even at the cost of just a slight loss in power.

Overall, I really enjoy using this team and the only problems I seem to have revolve around Diglett and the fact that I don't have the greatest team for facing stall. I feel like having Sub+Will-O Gastly would be very beneficial for my team. Anyway, I'm pretty open to suggestions. I'm super excited for Sun and Moon coming out in November.
I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at my channel on youtube. The link is above and below here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcynWwQc_ksCCSMkp2bOrjQ
Thank you everyone who takes a minute to check it out and I just hope you enjoy that and the team on this post. Thanks everyone!

There's the team guys. I really hope you all enjoy. Please leave some feedback. I'm open to it. And take a minute to answer the poll too. Thanks again everybody.

Binacle @ Eviolite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 100 HP / 180 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Cross Chop
- Earthquake

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Knock Off

Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Diglett @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Memento

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
So first of all, a NFE tier already is already a thing! It is called middle cup i believe and you can go look it up on the OM forums.

Now onto the rate. This is a pretty solid team except for the main attraction, which is Binacle. Binacle is one of those mons that looks super good on paper, but in reality is quite hard to set up and sweep. For example, Binacle cannot reliably OHKO Mienfoo, which is something most other shell smashers can do. This is because of the way damage calculation is done which makes tough claws in LC not as good as it is in other tiers (its the same reason why life orb is used over bands/specs). For these reasons, I would highly recommend changing the smasher to Omanyte. Omanyte is a very powerful mon that is incredibly hard to stop that happens to fit very well on your team.

Omanyte @ Eviolite
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

This set is far harder to stop than Binacle is, and is far more powerful thanks to its ridiculous Spa stat. Pairing this with double trapping helps it a ton as they help get rid of a lot of its checks, and your entire team deals with Abra very well. Diglett and Gothita alone deal with nearly all of Omanyte's weaknesses, giving you more freedom with the rest of your team instead of focusing everything around Binacle.

Overall a pretty solid team =) If only Binacle was good ;-;

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll have to agree with Sam here, in that Binacle is not a good Pokemon. However, your team is built around it, so maybe we can strengthen the team without removing Binacle.

Your Binacle set is not optimal. Using an EV spread of 20 HP / 180 Atk / 60 Def / 196 Spe gives your Binacle an extra two points in Defense at the cost of just one HP once Eviolite is factored in.

Because you're running Earthquake on your Binacle and you already have Gothita for Croagunk, Diglett is pretty redundant. The team could really use another more powerful wallbreaker to help bust through the defensive Grasses that come in so easily against Chinchou. You actually said it yourself for the most part, because I too think a Gastly would be good for this team. I'm not a big fan of the Hex Gastly listed on the analysis; instead, I'd opt for Psychic Gastly. I'd use Psychic here as you really have an issue switching into or dealing with Fighting-type Pokemon outside of Gothita, so if Goth has to trap something else, you're largely out of luck. Gastly also creates mindgames around Fighting-types that use High Jump Kick, as it immune to the attack. Psychic also helps Gastly take on things like Foongus that can threaten Binacle, and it gives your team a real one-two punch for dealing with popular cores like MienFoong. Here's the set:

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Substitute

If you end up opting to replace Binacle, I'd go for Tirtouga over Omanyte, as your team could definitely use some strong priority attacks. That's all I have for your team! I'm glad to see a newer player posting a solid team, so you should definitely stick around in LC!

Last edited:
I'll have to agree with Sam here, in that Binacle is not a good Pokemon. However, your team is built around it, so maybe we can strengthen the team without removing Binacle.

Your Binacle set is not optimal. Using an EV spread of 20 HP / 180 Atk / 60 Def / 196 Spe gives your Binacle an extra two points in Defense at the cost of just one HP once Eviolite is factored in.

Because you're running Earthquake on your Binacle and you already have Gothita for Croagunk, Diglett is pretty redundant. The team could really use another more powerful wallbreaker to help bust through the defensive Grasses that come in so easily against Chinchou. You actually said it yourself for the most part, because I too think a Gastly would be good for this team. I'm not a big fan of the Hex Gastly listed on the analysis; instead, I'd opt for Psychic Gastly. I'd use Psychic here as you really have an issue switching into or dealing with Fighting-type Pokemon outside of Gothita, so if Goth has to trap something else, you're largely out of luck. Gastly also creates mindgames around Fighting-types that use High Jump Kick, as it immune to the attack. Psychic also helps Gastly take on things like Foongus that can threaten Binacle, and it gives your team a real one-two punch for dealing with popular cores like MienFoong. Here's the set:

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Substitute

If you end up opting to replace Binacle, I'd go for Tirtouga over Omanyte, as your team could definitely use some strong priority attacks. That's all I have for your team! I'm glad to see a newer player posting a solid team, so you should definitely stick around in LC!
Thanks mate. I'm not actually a newer player. I've been around for quite a while. Since the start of Gen 6. I enjoy playing in every tier to be frank. From Ubers to LC. I like trying uncommon things and making a solid team around them. It's fun. But I do know how to build strong teams, so thank you. I suppose in a sense I am new considering I used to be a fairly bad player for about the first 6 months I battled competitively. I agree that Binacle isn't as good in practice as it is on paper. I replaced it (literally the same team with Omanyte over Binacle) with Omanyte and it did about twice as well. XD. And I am definitely going to introduce Gastly to the team. Love the immunities it gives us. So again, thank you for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)