move 4: Mach Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant
evs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr to boost its Attack and Defense stats, making it a fearsome, bulky threat on the field. Drain Punch is the primary STAB move, allowing Conkeldurr to not only deal solid damage to foes, but also heal itself in the process. Knock Off is the coverage move of choice, allowing Conkeldurr to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively, as well as removing foes' items. Finally, Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr a solid priority move, mitigating its low speed and allowing it to pick off weakened foes or deal strong damage to faster threats like Mega Sharpedo, Cobalion, and Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature boosts Conkeldurr's overall power, and the 16 Attack EVs give Conkeldurr an additional jump point in its Attack stat. 252 Special Defense EVs are applied in order to maximize Conkeldurr's special bulk. The remaining EVs are placed into HP in order to maximize Conkeldurr's overall bulk, although 84 or 124 Speed EVs can be applied in order to outspeed uninvested Blissey or base 60 Speed Pokemon at the expense of HP EVs. Alternatively, a spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and a Careful nature can be used in order to maximize setup opportunities against specially based attackers, but the loss in power renders Conkeldurr incapable of nabbing OHKOs, such as those on Cobalion at +1 with Drain Punch and on Sharpedo at +1 with Mach Punch. Guts allows Conkeldurr to take advantage of status ailments by hitting harder when afflicted by them, while Leftovers gives Conkeldurr passive recovery, mitigating the damaging effects of poison and burn.

Usage Tips
========

When utilized properly, Bulk Up Conkeldurr is capable of dismantling stall teams with ease, as it breaks through many common defensive cores found on such teams. Against effective checks like Tentacruel and Sylveon, however, try to Knock Off their items as soon as possible so that Conkeldurr's teammates can pressure them more easily. Finally, although all status problems will boost Conkeldurr's power, try to absorb burns while avoiding Toxic poison, as the latter will severely limit Conkeldurr's longevity on the field.

Team Options
========

Conkeldurr works best on a balance or bulky offense team that appreciates its ability to absorb status and dismantle common defensive cores, especially when used with Wish support from Florges, Sylveon, Umbreon, or Alomomola. In addition, bulky Steel-types like Metagross serve as checks to threats like Crobat, Mega Aerodactyl, Celebi, and Fairies while setting Stealth Rock for the team. Finally, Tentacruel can set up Toxic Spikes, further pressuring any Fairy-types on the opponent's end.

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm a bit unclear what outspeeding Blissey actually does for you, since that's a pretty significant chunk of bulk lost and you just underspeed and Drain Punch anyhow. Also, I think an alternate non-Adamant EV spread isn't crazy. (I pretty much always run Adamant, since I find the difference in damage significant, especially against stall teams, but I know others have run fully SDef spreads with Careful to let Conkeldurr set up on neutral Special attacks in general.)

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll definitely mention a fully spdef set; i can make the general set 0 spe and just mention speed in set details

On my phone rn, so i'll change things when i get back on my computer

Team options:

-Fits best on balanced teams, especially with Wish support from Florges, Sylveon, Umbreon, or Alomomola
-Tentacruel can setup Toxic Spikes to pressure defensive Fairies hard once Conk has knocked off their Lefties
-Bulky Steel SR to check Crobat/Aero/Celebi/Fairies and setup rocks

Usage tips:

-Knock Off Lefties from checks like Sylveon Tentacruel etc ASAP
-Performs excellently against stall if it's played well
-Attempt to get burned rather than toxiced against defensive teams

dingbat

snek
Both of your suggestions have been implemented (with a bit of rewording ofc) altho i'm still stuck on my phone

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looks fantastic. Just some minor suggested tweaks:

• I'd clarify WHY it works best on balance/bulky offense. Something like: "Balance and bulky offense teams appreciate Conkeldurr's ability to absorb status and break down many common defensive cores, especially when used with Wish support from..."
  • I might mention some key advantages to running the Adamant spread vs the Careful spread (in particular, the fact that the Adamant spread at +1 OHKOs Mega-Shark with Mach and has a >50% chance to OHKO Cobalion with Drain, both of which are missed out on by the Careful spread, whereas the Careful spread only has a 3% chance to be 2HKOd by Nidoqueen's Sludge Wave, versus an 83% chance for the Adamant spread). You don't need to list every example, but it's definitely worth explaining some of the advantages/disadvantages.

Can't really think of anything else to add. QC 2/3.

dingbat

snek
alright, writing this up right now, thanks :]

and i guess edit this title if i need to mention the write up

Edit: Done with write-up, ready for 3rd QC check

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
no curly apostrophes
[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Knock Off

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr to boost its Attack and Defense stats, making it a fearsome, bulky threat on the field. Drain Punch is the primary STAB move of choice, not only allowing Conkeldurr to not only deal solid damage to foes opponents, but also heal itself in the process. Knock Off is the coverage move of choice, not only allowing Conkeldurr to hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively, but also removing as well as removing foes' items off opponents. Finally, Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr a solid priority move, mitigating its low Speed Conkeldurr’s slow speed and allowing it to pick off weakened opponents foes or deal strong damage to faster threats like Mega Sharpedo, Cobalion, and Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature boosts Conkeldurr's overall power, (AC) and the 16 Attack EVs give Conkeldurr an additional jump point in its Attack stat. 252 Special Defense EVs are applied in order to maximize Conkeldurrss special bulk. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP in order to maximize Conkeldurr's overall bulk, although 84 or 124 EVs can be applied in order to outspeed uninvested Blisseys or base 60s, at the expense of HP EVs. Alternatively, a set with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with and a Careful nature can be used in order to maximize setup opportunities against specially based attackers, but the loss in power renders it incapable of nabbing OHKOs, such as those on Cobalion at +1 with Drain Punch and Sharpedo at +1 with Mach Punch. Guts is the ability of choice, allowing allows Conkeldurr to take advantage of status by hitting harder when afflicted problems and hit harder with them, while Leftovers gives Conkeldurr passive recovery, mitigating the damaging effects of status problems.

Usage Tips
========

When utilized properly, Bulk Up Conkeldurr is capable of dismantling stall teams with ease, as it breaks through many common defensive cores found on such teams. Against effective checks like Tentacruel and Sylveon, however, try to Knock Off their items as soon as possible, (RC) so that Conkeldurr's teammates can pressure them more easily. Finally, although all status problems will boost Conkeldurr's power, try to absorb burns while avoiding Toxic poison, as Toxic poison will severely limit Conkeldurr's longevity durability on the field.

Team Options
========

Conkeldurr works best on a balance or bulky offense team that appreciates its ability to absorb status and dismantle common defensive cores, especially when used with Wish support from Florges, Sylveon, Umbreon, or Alomomola. In addition, bulky Steel-types like Metagross serve as checks to threats like Crobat, Mega Aerodactyl, Celebi, and Fairies while setting Stealth Rocks for the team. Finally, Tentacruel can set up Toxic Spikes, further pressuring any Fairy-types on the opponent's end.

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
I blame microsoft word

I'll make the changes as soon as i get off the road

Edit: Made the changes, and am ready for gp check 2

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

Sobi

Banned deucer.
add
remove
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr to boost its Attack and Defense stats, making it a fearsome, bulky threat on the field. Drain Punch is the primary STAB move, allowing Conkeldurr to not only deal solid damage to foes, but also heal itself in the process. Knock Off is the coverage move of choice, allowing letting Conkeldurr to (repetition) hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively, as well as removing foes' items. Finally, Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr a solid priority move, mitigating its low Speed and allowing it to pick off weakened foes or deal strong damage to faster threats like Mega Sharpedo, Cobalion, and Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature boosts Conkeldurr's overall power, and the 16 Attack EVs give Conkeldurr an additional jump point in its Attack stat. 252 Special Defense EVs are applied in order to maximize Conkeldurr's special bulk. The remaining EVs are dumped into HP in order to maximize Conkeldurr's overall bulk, although 84 or 124 Speed EVs can be applied in order to outspeed uninvested Blissey or base 60s, (remove comma) at the expense of HP EVs. Alternatively, a set with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and a Careful nature can be used in order to maximize setup opportunities against specially based attackers, but the loss in power renders it incapable of nabbing OHKOs, such as those on Cobalion at +1 with Drain Punch and on Sharpedo at +1 with Mach Punch. Guts allows Conkeldurr to take advantage of status by hitting harder when afflicted by them, while and Leftovers gives Conkeldurr passive recovery, mitigating the damaging effects of poison and burn status. (...because they are the only status that decrease Conkeldurr's health; Leftovers doesn't help with sleep/paralysis/freeze - if it does, disregard this change)

Usage Tips
========

When utilized properly, Bulk Up Conkeldurr is capable of dismantling stall teams with ease, as it breaks through many common defensive cores found on such teams. Against effective checks like Tentacruel and Sylveon, however, try to Knock Off their items as soon as possible so that Conkeldurr's teammates can pressure them more easily. Finally, although all status problems will boost Conkeldurr's power, try to absorb burns while avoiding Toxic poison (one or the other), as Toxic poison (one or the other) will severely limit Conkeldurr's longetivity longevity on the field.

Team Options
========

Conkeldurr works best on a balance or bulky offense team that appreciates its ability to absorb status and dismantle common defensive cores, especially when used with Wish support from Florges, Sylveon, Umbreon, or Alomomola. In addition, bulky Steel-types like Metagross serve as checks to threats like Crobat, Mega Aerodactyl, Celebi, and Fairies while setting Stealth Rock for the team. Finally, Tentacruel can set up Toxic Spikes, further pressuring any Fairy-types on the opponent's end.
~amcheck~

Last edited:

Empress

Don't waffle or you'll get pancaked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sobi: add remove
Me: add remove
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Bulk Up allows Conkeldurr to boost its Attack and Defense stats, making it a fearsome, bulky threat on the field. Drain Punch is the primary STAB move, allowing Conkeldurr to not only deal solid damage to foes, but also heal itself in the process. Knock Off is the coverage move of choice, allowing letting Conkeldurr to (repetition) hit Psychic- and Ghost-types super effectively, as well as removing foes' items. Finally, Mach Punch gives Conkeldurr a solid priority move, mitigating its low Speed and allowing it to pick off weakened foes or deal strong damage to faster threats like Mega Sharpedo, Cobalion, and Hydreigon.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature boosts Conkeldurr's overall power, and the 16 Attack EVs give Conkeldurr an additional jump point in its Attack stat. 252 Special Defense EVs are applied in order to maximize Conkeldurr's special bulk. The remaining EVs are dumped placed into HP in order to maximize Conkeldurr's overall bulk, although 84 or 124 Speed EVs can be applied in order to outspeed uninvested Blissey or base 60s Speed Pokemon, (remove comma) at the expense of HP EVs. Alternatively, a set with spread of 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD and a Careful nature can be used in order to maximize setup opportunities against specially based attackers, but the loss in power renders it Conkeldurr incapable of nabbing OHKOs, such as those on Cobalion at +1 with Drain Punch and on Sharpedo at +1 with Mach Punch. Guts allows Conkeldurr to take advantage of status ailments by hitting harder when afflicted by them, while and Leftovers gives Conkeldurr passive recovery, mitigating the damaging effects of poison and burn status. (...because they are the only status that decrease Conkeldurr's health; Leftovers doesn't help with sleep/paralysis/freeze - if it does, disregard this change)

Usage Tips
========

When utilized properly, Bulk Up Conkeldurr is capable of dismantling stall teams with ease, as it breaks through many common defensive cores found on such teams. Against effective checks like Tentacruel and Sylveon, however, try to Knock Off their items as soon as possible so that Conkeldurr's teammates can pressure them more easily. Finally, although all status problems will boost Conkeldurr's power, try to absorb burns while avoiding Toxic poison (one or the other), as Toxic poison (one or the other) (I say change this one) the latter will severely limit Conkeldurr's longetivity longevity on the field.

Team Options
========

Nice work Sobi. GP 2/2

You do not mention any teammates specifically for handling offensive teams. Given that Conkeldurr is meant to match up well against bulkier, you may want to mention something like Mega Aerodactyl that has enough speed to match up well against a number of offensive Pokemon, or whatever people run on BO / balance to check offense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)