CAP 22 CAP 22 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Scufflow

A combination of "Scuffle" (a short, confused fight) and "Pillow". It's a cutesy sort of name that reflects its appearance and compliments its fairy-fighting typing.

Pronounced: SCUFF-loh

WIP

Backllo
UPowixe

BAC-lo
Combination of Back (reference to Parting Shot) and Pillow.

U-Pow-xcie
U(-Turn), Pow, an onomatopia , and Pixie.

WIP

Dakitakai

Pronounced: Dah-key-tah-kah-E (Dakimakura+Tatakai)

The name comes from the Japanese word "Dakimakura", which is the anime body pillow CAP 22's design is based off of, and the Japanese word "Tatakai", which literally translates to "Fight", as a reference to CAP 22's secondary typing while still keeping the original Japanese theme.

EDIT: The IPA pronunciation is dɑkitɑkɑi

Last edited:
WIP

Sleepunch

Sleep + Punch. Itll punch/hadouken ya so hard you go to sleep. Kinda uncreative, hoping to think up something with more zing to it.

WIP
Dakontusion
Da-kont-oo-shun
Dakimakura+contusion(bruise)

As you can see (and would've seen with my empusa obsession with volkraken), when I come up with a part of a name that I like, I stick with it, this time with contusion, though this time I chose to mix it with dakimakura, which as others have stated, is the name of the anime body pillow. Feedback for both are appreciated.

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Scufflefluf
Fistifluff
close the thread

These names are all clever and fun and, most importantly, not complicated. They do not require extensive research or multilingualism to understand and their pronunciation is easy enough to not require explanation. A lot of the time, people tend to overthink this step and end up with really awkward-sounding or contrived submissions, when really the best Pokemon names are the ones that require as little thought as possible to understand. I can easily envision this CAP with any of the names quoted above, so I hope to see more subs along these lines (but if no more arise, it's okay because these are really solid gold).

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
here are my favourites:
WIP

Clashmere

A portmanteau of the words 'Clash,' as in a confrontation (for fighting type), and 'Cashmere,' a type of wool noted for its superior comfort and insular quality (reference to pillows and that fairy-types are often rather squishy).

Pronunciation: 'Clash'-'Mere.'
IPA: klæʃ mɪər

EDIT: Am also considering "Crashmere."
Clashmere is definitely better imo. super clever and concise name that sounds natural and Game Freak-y :)

WIP

Concushion

A word combination of "Concussion" and "Cushion". Concussion refers to the Fighting type aspect, and Cushion refers to the pillow aspect.

Pronounced: Cuhn - coosh - un (Just pronounce it like "Cushion" except with added "cuhn" noice on the front)

I'm uncertain of this name and it will most likely change. I like the name a lot, but the word "Concussion" feels more suitable for a Physical attacker than a Special attacker.
Another really clever one. Nice and integrated, so that it flows really well. Could well be a winner. I wouldn't be too concerned about the physical nature of the concussion - it's a brain injury, so theoretically it could be caused by manipulation of pressure or violent vibrations, as created by special attacks.

WIP

Faetherwate (weyt? wait?)

Fae (as in fairy) + featherweight (boxing weight class + feather pillow) + wate (because spelling out weight puts it above the 11 character limit)

Pronounced: Fay (like Tina Fey) - therweight (the rest of featherweight)

Using "wate" supposedly has some Scottish influence if Google is correct, while using weyt sounds magical and wait is simple to read.

Pill-O-Wisp

*Pill-o-Wisps spend most of their time lying in wait disguised as pillows. BEWARE! The Pill-O-Wisps looks deceive! Fools might think it a good place to lie down, but when you're in your deepest dreams it strikes! *CRUNCH* it shatters you nose *FLUMPF* it's fist breaks your jaw clean off. The Pill-O-Wisp is an evil and sadistic pokemon, that feeds on your shattered dreams. BE WARNED!*

WIP

Fluffist
Fluf(fy) + fist

Yeah, I know it is Bughouse 's entry with reversed words, but I feel like this ways it just sounds better and is worth an own submission.

Final Submission

Bedcase

A combination of "bed" and "headcase," the latter of which can accurately describe both fighters and fairies. Also could be related to "pillowcase."

Pronounced: BED-cays
IPA: ˈbɛdkeɪs

I figured a manic pixie dream brawler deserved a manic pixie dream brawling name.

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to second the kind of things said by Korski. While looking for unique origins for names can be fun, ultimately, what we are looking at here is a fighting pillow, and the more directly you can get that kind of idea across, the more natural the names sound. It can be tempting to go for archaic or foreign words, but if it makes it harder for the average person to understand the name, I'd argue that it just detracts from it.

Now, that said, there are a bunch I really do like here, including Birkal's "Pillouch" and Bughouse's "Fistifluff." But I have to say that my absolute favorite has to be:
Kerfluffle
Like the others that I like, this one combines two words that get across the fighting and the pillow parts of our pokemon. But what sets this one apart for me is that it is just so much fun to say. I love it.

WIP 2

Fluffray

'Fluffy' + 'fray' (another word for fight)

Silkrush

'Silk' + 'crush' since silk is a material a pillow could be made of

Like the others that I like, this one combines two words that get across the fighting and the pillow parts of our pokemon. But what sets this one apart for me is that it is just so much fun to say. I love it.
Thanks! I made a conscious effort to do the same thing gamefreak does and come up with a name that kinda makes you grin when you say it, like: Klefki, Wigglytuff, Lickilicky and Likewise Kerfluffle!
Some other favorites for me are Bughouse's "Fistifluff" and NumberCruncher's "Pillowdin".

I also feel the need to note that the Pokemon seems to also be intentionally a bit evil looking, like some kind of trickster. Might be worth considering that in potentional names. I don't think it's fair to say that it's just a fighting pillow, and the name should embody that and that only.

EDIT: Also, parting shot. This can possibly be done in tandem with the above - I think parting shot should be not only a key part of CAP's competitive use, but also its personality. Pancham embodied this well. With that in mind, it might be worth somehow noting that in the name. I tried to do this with the name Pillowchase, but the effectiveness of that may be questionable.

Last edited:
WIP

Pillitoe

A combination of "pillow", "lit", which is the French word for bed, and "toe-to-toe", a phrase used to describe combat.

Last edited:
WIP

Reapercushion

It's pretty self explanatory. It keeps coming back with Parting Shot, has Fighting type, and Dark type moves, and is also a cutesy little fairy. Also, Percussion, considering that Parting Shot is sound based.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
WIP

Pugeepoli

A corrupted combination of the words Pugilist and Polyester. Pugilist because it's a fighter. Polyester because it's the most popular type of pillow in the world, being a cheap alternative to cotton.

Poo-gee-pol-ee

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Moderator Announcement:

This thread is now open for Final Submissions.

Please read the OP formatting rules very carefully. Any final submission that does not EXACTLY follow the prescribed format, will be disqualified without warning.

The Name slate will be constructed collectively by the CAP moderators. As stated in the OP, we will not slate names that are completely unrelated to the design, silly names (puns are fine), names based primarily on memes, or names meant to inflame, intimidate, or cause controversy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)