Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and unless I'm getting it confused with something else, we DID see Mimikyu use Discharge in some gameplay, so that pretty much confirms it does have electric powers and will get Thunderbolt.
You're surely thinking of something else. IIRC the only actual gameplay display Mimikyu has gotten was at gamescom's Battle Royale footage and all it did was spam Shadow Sneak. You're probably mistaking it for Pikachu or Togedemaru, both of which were the only ones to use electric type moves in that battle.

You can check it out for yourself here :)

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
Why was there an entire page of discussion about battling while surfing when HMs most likely don't exist anymore and you'll be riding on the Sharpedo that isn't yours?

Why was there an entire page of discussion about battling while surfing when HMs most likely don't exist anymore and you'll be riding on the Sharpedo that isn't yours?
The question at hand was, if the trainers are seen in battle now, then where will they be when conditions are unfavorable, such as while surfing. After all, they wouldn't just randomly disappear, right?

This actually leads me to something that I was thinking of.
So Gen VI we received the three Terrains and no one used them. There was very little that justified it. Gen VII comes along and not only gives us a Terrain streamer, but abilities that capitalize on it and it seems like we'll be getting a fourth Terrain as well.
This is just like weather. No one used them in Generation II since there wasn't much benefit to them, then we received streamers and abilities to capitalize on in in Generation III with a fourth weather added (Hail).
You don't think that Generation IX will be Terrain Wars? (This part's a joke)
I wish that I could speculate on what a fourth one could be, but it's impossible considering that Terrain isn't as easy as Weather to easily guess mechanically. I think the only thing we could eliminate is the fourth Guardian be Flying since a Flying Terrain doesn't make much sense. And I would also guess that any type directly tied to weather would likely be eliminated as well (Water, Ground, Rock, Steel, Fire, Ice).
That would leave the following:
Dragon
Dark
Fighting
Bug
Ghost
Psychic
Poison
Normal
Psychic

Bug and Poison seem unlikely (the former due to the fact that a good terrain for Bugs would be a grassy one and Poison should be obvious since Alola doesn't seem like the place to have such a toxic environment). Normal is incredibly unlikely for obvious reasons. Hmm...I just don't know.
Not that I don't agree with you. But if they did decide to make a poison terrain it would only probably fit on that new poisonous salamander. Volcanos and deep sea volcanic ridges are where some of the most toxic things are naturally found in nature which is why the Skrelp line is better suited to Alola which is probably the the chance of themeatically adding it. Or they would add it because why not? If they add it mechanically it is because of stuff Corrosion ability and other (buffs?) to poison type.
On a more realistic note, I hope that the salamander will be relevant enough to maybe get applications like that. We had Pangoro who had his whole dark/fighting iron fist motif and forget the elemental punches, he didn't get drain punch or sucker punch, he only had comet punch and Hammer ARM. I know ORAS fixed that but it's a like spooky how cool concepts can just be messed up like that. Corrosion can mess with poison and steel type Pokémon that like to wall with Toxic immunities even in low tiers, unless Corrosion users get the Regigias treatment and suddenly lose access to bread and butter TM moves. Ex: Corrosion users have to rely on Poison gas and poison powder because they can't learn toxic via level up or TM. Corrosion Salamander used toxic in the trailer but I mean if other Pokémon we don't know get it, who knows. I just hope the lizard is good somewhere and that other cool concept aren't ruined.

Not that I don't agree with you. But if they did decide to make a poison terrain it would only probably fit on that new poisonous salamander. Volcanos and deep sea volcanic ridges are where some of the most toxic things are naturally found in nature which is why the Skrelp line is better suited to Alola which is probably the the chance of themeatically adding it. Or they would add it because why not? If they add it mechanically it is because of stuff Corrosion ability and other (buffs?) to poison type.
On a more realistic note, I hope that the salamander will be relevant enough to maybe get applications like that. We had Pangoro who had his whole dark/fighting iron fist motif and forget the elemental punches, he didn't get drain punch or sucker punch, he only had comet punch and Hammer ARM. I know ORAS fixed that but it's a like spooky how cool concepts can just be messed up like that. Corrosion can mess with poison and steel type Pokémon that like to wall with Toxic immunities even in low tiers, unless Corrosion users get the Regigias treatment and suddenly lose access to bread and butter TM moves. Ex: Corrosion users have to rely on Poison gas and poison powder because they can't learn toxic via level up or TM. Corrosion Salamander used toxic in the trailer but I mean if other Pokémon we don't know get it, who knows. I just hope the lizard is good somewhere and that other cool concept aren't ruined.
That's like complaining that Tyrantrum only has Bite and Crunch. With breeding, Pangoro had access to Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Focus Punch, Ice Punch, Power Up Punch, Sky Uppercut, and Thunder Punch as well as Comet Punch and Hammer Arm.

I'm not sure about this. Cutiefly is based off of the bee fly, and I really don't see a bee fly becoming a silk moth. Considering Cutiefly is based off of a smaller species of bee fly, I'm going to guess it's going to evolve into either:

A. A bigger, fuzzier version of itself
B. A larger species of bee fly (something like this?)

And don't give me that Remoraid/Octillery crap. Technically it's a pistol evolving into a turret.
A gnat evolves into a moth. A sloth evolves into a gorilla. A robin evolves into a falcon. A candle evolves into a chandelier. A set of 6 eggs evolve into a tree with 4 face-shaped fruits. A clam evolves into two different deep sea fish. A loach evolves into a catfish. The Pokedex is full of evolutions that are only incidentally related or just wacky at first glance. A bee fly could definitely evolve into a butterfly, moth, or other bug.

That's like complaining that Tyrantrum only has Bite and Crunch. With breeding, Pangoro had access to Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Focus Punch, Ice Punch, Power Up Punch, Sky Uppercut, and Thunder Punch as well as Comet Punch and Hammer Arm.

A gnat evolves into a moth. A sloth evolves into a gorilla. A robin evolves into a falcon. A candle evolves into a chandelier. A set of 6 eggs evolve into a tree with 4 face-shaped fruits. A clam evolves into two different deep sea fish. A loach evolves into a catfish. The Pokedex is full of evolutions that are only incidentally related or just wacky at first glance. A bee fly could definitely evolve into a butterfly, moth, or other bug.
Not saying I don't agree with your overall point, but in contrast to it's name Exeggcute is actually a bunch of seeds.

Not saying I don't agree with your overall point, but in contrast to it's name Exeggcute is actually a bunch of seeds.
Jimenju fruit specifically, but yes. The point though is that they appear as eggs (even having a visible yolk in the cracked open head) and are called eggs, and then suddenly make a tree. Even if you realize that the heads are seeds/fruit, the whole thing still seems wacky unless you know about jimenju trees.

There won't be terrain wars in singles. The weather wars ended because weather stopped being permanent and singles matches can go on for like 30 turns.

We WILL see terrains in doubles if they get enough support though. Everything is built for doubles, so if they want it to be usable it will be. Since they seem to be giving so much attention to competitive this gen, I'm sure there will be a good deal many terrain shenanigans going on.

Brace yourself for surge surfer Porygon Z. Surf'n the web, firing Tri-Attacks all over the place.

Late to the party but this group of Pokemon I don't really love or hate. They just seem bland to me. Fighter Crab, Sandcastles and a Bewear pre-evo. Strangely Stufful and Palossand have barely any flavour text at all which seems really strange to me.

Last edited:
We had Pangoro who had his whole dark/fighting iron fist motif and forget the elemental punches, he didn't get drain punch or sucker punch, he only had comet punch and Hammer ARM.
Sucker Punch isn't a punching move, and doesn't get boosted by Iron Fist, because it's Japanese name is Ambush, which is why stuff like Electrode got it via move tutor(ironically Hitmonlee and Hitmontop could learn it via move tutor, but not Hitmonchan).

Coming on the back of the 'how much more can they possibly reveal without spoiling it all!' bandwagon - did we ever see Tyrunt and Amaura prior to XY release?

Cos that's likely another 2 Rock/something pokemon and they haven't duplicated typings since Gen 1. I'm choosing to ignore gen 2's lack of fossils cos it doesn't fit my narrative.

Does Hawaii have any notable prehistoric animals? http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinos...s-and-Prehistoric-Animals-of-Hawaii.htm#step1

Not really given the relatively young age of the islands. It has prehistoric ducks (with bladed beaks), proto-finches, tree snails and coral reefs.

Which means if they do fossils in the Alola region they may get creative or draw from other island chains around the world for inspiration.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Coming on the back of the 'how much more can they possibly reveal without spoiling it all!' bandwagon - did we ever see Tyrunt and Amaura prior to XY release?

Cos that's likely another 2 Rock/something pokemon and they haven't duplicated typings since Gen 1. I'm choosing to ignore gen 2's lack of fossils cos it doesn't fit my narrative.

Does Hawaii have any notable prehistoric animals? http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/dinos...s-and-Prehistoric-Animals-of-Hawaii.htm#step1

Not really given the relatively young age of the islands. It has prehistoric ducks (with bladed beaks), proto-finches, tree snails and coral reefs.

Which means if they do fossils in the Alola region they may get creative or draw from other island chains around the world for inspiration.
Yeah they revealed Tyrunt and Amaura before XY's release, I remember as the internet went crazy we're finally getting a T-rex Pokemon.

If they decide to strictly stick to extinct animals of Hawaii I guess the duck and maybe a combination of a snail and coral reef would be interesting. However now would be a REALLY good time to do one of the big ocean fossils like a mesosaur (the marine dinosaur you saw in Jurassic World) and/or megaloden (the big shark)(I guess also the plesiosaur if they want a more dinosaur version of Lapras). If they don't want two marine fossils I wouldn't mind seeing another pterosaur, especially ones with the odder beaks/crests.

I'm not sure about this. Cutiefly is based off of the bee fly, and I really don't see a bee fly becoming a silk moth. Considering Cutiefly is based off of a smaller species of bee fly, I'm going to guess it's going to evolve into either:

A. A bigger, fuzzier version of itself
B. A larger species of bee fly (something like this?)

And don't give me that Remoraid/Octillery crap. Technically it's a pistol evolving into a turret.
Well many Pokemon are based on one species and then evolve into something based on another. The point is to at least keep the design consistent. A hummingbird moth would look like a natural progression of Cutiefly's design. Not necessarily related to bee flies, but looks wise they're not too far removed. Also a "bigger, fuzzier version of itself" would literally look like any number of big fuzzy moth species.

HOW?
HOW COULD IT BE A FINAL STAGE?
The same way Chimecho was a single stage Pokemon that ended up getting a baby preevo. The same way Bellossom is a foot shorter and a few pounds lighter than Gloom. The same way Shaymin and Klefki are in the same size bracket (a measly 4 inches bigger than Cutiefly). It wouldn't be that far out.

I don't expect it will be though, it's just an interesting possibility. As I think about it more, I could see it being the first stage of a 2-stage family where its final evo is, as said above, a 'bigger and fuzzier' version of itself ala Ledyba and Ledian.

Last edited:
Yeah they revealed Tyrunt and Amaura before XY's release, I remember as the internet went crazy we're finally getting a T-rex Pokemon.

If they decide to strictly stick to extinct animals of Hawaii I guess the duck and maybe a combination of a snail and coral reef would be interesting. However now would be a REALLY good time to do one of the big ocean fossils like a mesosaur (the marine dinosaur you saw in Jurassic World) and/or megaloden (the big shark)(I guess also the plesiosaur if they want a more dinosaur version of Lapras). If they don't want two marine fossils I wouldn't mind seeing another pterosaur, especially ones with the odder beaks/crests.
Wouldn't be to sure on any fossil being based on an animal from Hawaii really. No fossil pokemon has ever been from the region the game was based on.

Kabutops, Omastar, Carracosta, Cradily, Armaldo are all aquatic so have no ties to any landmass.

Aerodactyl is a Pterodactylus, normally from Europe and Africa, but placed in Japan(Kanto).

Tyrantrum is a T-Rex, so from exclusively North America, but was in the region based on France(Kalos).
Auroras, based on Amargasaurus from South America, also put in France(Kalos).

Rampardos is based on Pachycepholosaurus from North America, put in Japan(Sinnoh).
Bastiodon is a Chasmosaurus from North America, also in Japan(Sinnoh).

Archeops is an Archeopteryx, from Germany, placed in New York(Unova).

I think they will theme them on tropical animals, but since Hawaii is rather lacking in the fossil department, I am dam sure they will be picking from other areas fossils. Especially as there are some amazing and wacky creatures still untouched; Stegosaurus, Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus, Platybelodon, Triceratops, Parasaurolophus or Dunkelosteus (looks like a fish combined with a bear-trap, it is horrific).

Also, Mosasaurus and Plesiosaurus, not dinosaurs. And as Lapras is a Plesiosaurus as you mentioned, I do not think it will be done again. Also Megalodon is reaaaally boring, it is just a big great white, nothing more.

One interesting thing they could do would be Alolan form fossils of older pokemon. Rock/Dragon Aerodactyl anyone? Or perhaps Rock/Poison Omastar?

Wouldn't be to sure on any fossil being based on an animal from Hawaii really. No fossil pokemon has ever been from the region the game was based on.

Kabutops, Omastar, Carracosta, Cradily, Armaldo are all aquatic so have no ties to any landmass.

Aerodactyl is a Pterodactylus, normally from Europe and Africa, but placed in Japan(Kanto).

Tyrantrum is a T-Rex, so from exclusively North America, but was in the region based on France(Kalos).
Auroras, based on Amargasaurus from South America, also put in France(Kalos).

Rampardos is based on Pachycepholosaurus from North America, put in Japan(Sinnoh).
Bastiodon is a Chasmosaurus from North America, also in Japan(Sinnoh).

Archeops is an Archeopteryx, from Germany, placed in New York(Unova).

I think they will theme them on tropical animals, but since Hawaii is rather lacking in the fossil department, I am dam sure they will be picking from other areas fossils. Especially as there are some amazing and wacky creatures still untouched; Stegosaurus, Deinocheirus, Therizinosaurus, Platybelodon, Triceratops, Parasaurolophus or Dunkelosteus (looks like a fish combined with a bear-trap, it is horrific).

Also, Mosasaurus and Plesiosaurus, not dinosaurs. And as Lapras is a Plesiosaurus as you mentioned, I do not think it will be done again. Also Megalodon is reaaaally boring, it is just a big great white, nothing more.

One interesting thing they could do would be Alolan form fossils of older pokemon. Rock/Dragon Aerodactyl anyone? Or perhaps Rock/Poison Omastar?
Well cradily wasn't exactly based off a dinosaur, so fossil Pokemon have relatively loose parameters. And although I doubt we'll get a megladon or mosasaurus, I think they'd both be awesome. I feel as though we lack a true shark Pokemon. We have a land shark and a half shark, but not a full one.

Well cradily wasn't exactly based off a dinosaur, so fossil Pokemon have relatively loose parameters. And although I doubt we'll get a megladon or mosasaurus, I think they'd both be awesome. I feel as though we lack a true shark Pokemon. We have a land shark and a half shark, but not a full one.
I didn't say Cradily was a dinosaur, it is certainly a fossil as it is an extinct Crinoid. The only Dino fossils started from gen 4, and gen 5 only had a single dinosaur fossil.
Fossil pokemon actually have very strong parameters, they have to be based on an extinct animal, no more no less. And from a palaeontologist point of view each fossil pokemon is very faithful to the real animals, hell they even went as far as giving the T-Rex feathers once a close cousin of T-Rex was dug up with thick feathers on it.

Megalodon and Mosasaurus both have kinda the same problem, very plain looking animals. Mosasaurus is just a big snake with flippers, does not give much to work with. And I do also feel we got...short-changed(bu-dum-tish) with Sharpedo for a Great White Shark.

I didn't say Cradily was a dinosaur, it is certainly a fossil as it is an extinct Crinoid. The only Dino fossils started from gen 4, and gen 5 only had a single dinosaur fossil.
Fossil pokemon actually have very strong parameters, they have to be based on an extinct animal, no more no less. And from a palaeontologist point of view each fossil pokemon is very faithful to the real animals, hell they even went as far as giving the T-Rex feathers once a close cousin of T-Rex was dug up with thick feathers on it.

Megalodon and Mosasaurus both have kinda the same problem, very plain looking animals. Mosasaurus is just a big snake with flippers, does not give much to work with. And I do also feel we got...short-changed(bu-dum-tish) with Sharpedo for a Great White Shark.
An icthyosaur and a stegosaurus is a combination that would work well. There are currently no similar concepts; make the icthyosaur water/rock and the stegosaur grass/rock (the flattened spines could be leaves to capture sunlight to use grass moves, etc.) and you have two critters that could blend in well-enough (lots of water and grass types on a tropical island).

An icthyosaur and a stegosaurus is a combination that would work well. There are currently no similar concepts; make the icthyosaur water/rock and the stegosaur grass/rock (the flattened spines could be leaves to capture sunlight to use grass moves, etc.) and you have two critters that could blend in well-enough (lots of water and grass types on a tropical island).
I would love a Stegosaurus. The "new" look for it with the huge back legs and rigid tail make it look stunning. The tail can easily be done like a thorny plant stem.
Ichyosaurus would have to be made quite elegant to set it apart from the more brutish Water/Rock fossils we already have, but it would fit with the region.
In fact, would be great to have 2 new fossils, and an Alolan Aerodactyl. It is a gen 1 pokemon, so fits with the trend, and most Pterosaurus look very similar, so saves making 2 near identical pokemon. Quetzacoatlus would make a fantastic Alolan form, make Aerodactyl walk on it's legs and the claws on it's wings, longer neck and thinner snout, and make the 2 spikes 1 and more colourful, along with the rest of the body.

I am really glad that long "leaked" list was proven fake, no fossil pokemon on it xD

I would love a Stegosaurus. The "new" look for it with the huge back legs and rigid tail make it look stunning. The tail can easily be done like a thorny plant stem.
Ichyosaurus would have to be made quite elegant to set it apart from the more brutish Water/Rock fossils we already have, but it would fit with the region.
In fact, would be great to have 2 new fossils, and an Alolan Aerodactyl. It is a gen 1 pokemon, so fits with the trend, and most Pterosaurus look very similar, so saves making 2 near identical pokemon. Quetzacoatlus would make a fantastic Alolan form, make Aerodactyl walk on it's legs and the claws on it's wings, longer neck and thinner snout, and make the 2 spikes 1 and more colourful, along with the rest of the body.

I am really glad that long "leaked" list was proven fake, no fossil pokemon on it xD
We have already 3 Rock/Water fossil pokemon and a Rock/Grass one. I think the fossil pokemon are a great way to explore less plausible typings as we got our Rock/Dragon and Rock/Ice types from Gen 6.

There are 4 unused type combos that involve Rock - Electric, Normal, Ghost and Poison, surely we can get a fossil this gen that takes care of at least one of them :)

We have already 3 Rock/Water fossil pokemon and a Rock/Grass one. I think the fossil pokemon are a great way to explore less plausible typings as we got our Rock/Dragon and Rock/Ice types from Gen 6.

There are 4 unused type combos that involve Rock - Electric, Normal, Ghost and Poison, surely we can get a fossil this gen that takes care of at least one of them :)
Not sure how a Rock/Ghost fossil would work, dam thing WAS dead but isn't now :P.

Rock/Electric is sooooo easy. Triceratops, have the horns work like large power conduits and call it a day xD.

Hopefully this is not a gen where they decide to buck to many trends and kick the fossils out...

I'm quitting the game if we get a rock/normal type.

Although, judging by the sheer amount of things they've changed in these games that have been traditions in every other game, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they changed something to do with the whole fossil thing too. Maybe scrap it altogether, or maybe offer a cool new different kind of fossil unlike any fossil we've seen. Maybe they won't even need to be rock type, because this company has shown us time and time again the something as trivial as logic can not be allowed to stand in the way of greatness. I could see them maybe making it have something to do with dna cell slicing like in bw, but there's a whole host of other interesting possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)