The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corollary: The Chargers are cheapskate scumbags who refuse to give their 3rd overall pick a contract structured the same as every other recent third round pick
I don't think it'd be that hard to give the signing bonus up front if you want the offset language in the contract or remove the offset language and keep the deferral. Chargers FO is being stingy to the detriment of the team. They're a mess

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Bosa is being a little bitch about being unable to generate a couple hundred thousand bucks getting the extra bit of his signing bonus upfront, the Chargers are being cheapskates as usual by refusing to give him that money which they're (are/were) going to pay him anyway and play ball like the other 31 clubs in da lee. Bosa takes a significant blow to his draft stock and loses out on far more money than he would've accepting even the crappier offers (whatever the final offer was, it personally sounds like Bosa's just being an overentitled dick at this point), Chargers lose the 3rd overall pick and look even more like scumbags to every future prospect/agent nobody will want to deal with.

Ah, mutual assured destruction at ats finest.

i just want to say again how happy i am that Shad Khan's attempt to buy the Rams fell through and that he bought the Jags instead.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
(whatever the final offer was, it personally sounds like Bosa's just being an overentitled dick at this point)
My point exactly. It's gotten ridiculous. Sorry about not understanding the whole two sided money issue, all I had read was the NFL mobile article about it. At some point this man has gotta decide between money and ball. He's deciding money. Just shows what he's truly playing for in the NFL.

My point exactly. It's gotten ridiculous. Sorry about not understanding the whole two sided money issue, all I had read was the NFL mobile article about it. At some point this man has gotta decide between money and ball. He's deciding money. Just shows what he's truly playing for in the NFL.
The issue is not guaranteed money nor is it money per season. He wants no offset language(basically
"Offset language relates to what happens to a player’s salary if he’s cut during the first four years of his career, while he’s still playing on his rookie contract. For the top 15 to 20 picks in the draft, those four-year salaries will be fully guaranteed, even if a player is waived at some point during those four seasons. For example, if a player has $4MM in guaranteed money remaining on his contract and is cut, he’ll still be owed that $4MM.")
And he wants the signing bonus now instead of in 2017. The Chargers aren't willing to comply with either.
Offset language description credit: http://www.profootballrumors.com/2014/06/offset-language

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
From what I've read, Bosa is fine with getting either no offset language in his contract (so his money is 100% guaranteed) -or- he wants 100% of his signing bonus upfront. That's about all that's negotiable with rookie contracts since the restructure, and it's standard that high draft picks tend to get one or the other. As Texas already explained, this is why the Chargers' final offer was, money-wise, more than Goff's (Chargers offered Bosa close to his full 100%, but Goff negotiated for offset language in his contract and is deferring much more of his signing bonus). Basically, Bosa is justifiably angry that the Chargers won't give him either one (100% upfront or no offset language) when it's totally standard procedure for high draft stock players. And the Chargers are just doing it to set a precedent for their future draft picks anyway so they can continue to be stingy assholes nobody likes.

On the other hand, it's totally reasonable to say that Bosa is still getting more than he should and he needs to stop being an entitled bitch about the whole thing. Like, bro, I think you've more than proven your point by now and regardless of standard procedure, you're still getting more than you objectively should. Most people would kill to have your position in life and here you are being a spoiled princess splitting hairs over amounts of money relatively few will ever come close to seeing. He's just harming his own future earning potential, and reputation, more than the Chargers' already poor one, solely on principle.

Last edited:
Does anyone think the Titans will be any good this year? Or the Jaguars? Or the Texans? It wouldn't surprise me if every AFC South team improves their record. Actually, scratch that: it would surprise me if one team didn't improve.

Does anyone think the Titans will be any good this year? Or the Jaguars? Or the Texans? It wouldn't surprise me if every AFC South team improves their record. Actually, scratch that: it would surprise me if one team didn't improve.
Only the Jags and Colts. Jags got a trio on offense and the COlts have Luck. no pun intended.

I'm a Colts fan so I might be biased but I have a feeling that the Brock Osweiller thing is going to blow up in the Texans' faces. I do love the Lamar Miller acquisition and their defense so they might be mediocre instead of flat out terrible but they vastly overpaid for a quarterback who is still largely unproven and he didn't look that great in his limited starts. Jaguars will be greatly improved but I'm not buying them making the leap from 5-11 to division champs right away like everyone else says. I won't be surprised if they get in as a wild card if they get 9 wins but they still have questions on the offensive line and secondary(minus Jalen Ramsey). Titans are still a year or two away. As for te Colts, they finally drafted offensive linemen which is great but we're still in need of a pass rush and a secondary which scares me. I have to go with the Colts cause they're the most experienced team but I'm not sleeping on the Jags. I just can't see a team relying on a LOT of rookies winning the division just yet.

The first 4 weeks of Professional football will be considerably worse without Tom Brady's beautiful face throwing equally beautiful passes

Pretty sure every team in the league will suffer some drop off because of it.

By this point it's to be expected but just as sad as injures always are. Now it's painfully obvious that Romo needs to retire. A career cut short by injures. It's a shame because Romo had serious potential but never had a consistent season healthy except 2014. The Cowboys have been a great team with Romo but a pathetically bad one without him. He's more valuable to the Cowboys than many players in the NFL are to their teams. But I do believe Dak Prescott will finally be a good backup QB and eventual Romo replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)