All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Main Pokemon Stadium differences to RBY:
  • Substitute blocks all status.
  • Hyper Beam always recharges, even after KOing the target.
  • Sleep lasts between 1-3 turns.
  • Critical hits happen less for fast Pokémon, more for slow Pokémon (relative to RBY).
  • Focus Energy works.
  • Team Preview is on.
  • Partial trapping moves (wrap etc.) stop when the target switches out.
  • HP values are displayed
  • No recoil damage if the target is KOed.
  • The weird RBY bugs like 255, dig/fly glitch are fixed.

Following that train of thought, is there anything substantially different between GSC on-cart and Pokémon Stadium 2's mechanics?

does jirachi run any other lead sets than scarf in dpp?
the most common set is a stealth rocking special attacker @ occa berry, timid max satk/spe (modest is viable too). psychic is a given and then 2 of tbolt/gk/hp ground depending on your team, not that there aren't other moves you can use of course. very strong pokemon to start the game off with.

occasionally you'll see a lefties sr or sub/iron head/bslam/fire punch set which is more common as a non-lead but can be used as one. various mixrachi sets are sometimes seen as well, but the spatking set first mentioned is by far the one you'll see most; it's gotten to the point where lead aero/azelf aren't afraid of jiras anymore bc they know the likelihood of facing a scarf lead is so low.

What would be the most viable Scizor set for ADV right now?
Don't use it lol.

In all seriousness probably an SDPasser would be best, SD, Baton Pass (or Morning Sun if you think TTar doesn't exist so it can act as a full sweeper maybe), Steel Wing, Bug Bite. I'm just spitballing based on what I've seen used in lower tiers so take what I say with a grain of salt....but yeah, I don't see how you could make anything else really work (even SD'd need a ton of support cause it's SLOW AF and priority isn't quite at its disposal).

What would be the most viable Scizor set for ADV right now?
Adding on to what Ninjax said, the reversal set is decent. It has some serious 4mss and no STAB on reversal sucks, but not being killed by sand is a pretty nice trait so it can be quite dangerous towards a lot of teams in the late game.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Don't use it lol.

In all seriousness probably an SDPasser would be best, SD, Baton Pass (or Morning Sun if you think TTar doesn't exist so it can act as a full sweeper maybe), Steel Wing, Bug Bite. I'm just spitballing based on what I've seen used in lower tiers so take what I say with a grain of salt....but yeah, I don't see how you could make anything else really work (even SD'd need a ton of support cause it's SLOW AF and priority isn't quite at its disposal).
Bug Bite doesn't exist in Gen III. You have to use HP Bug or Silver Wind for Bug STAB.

Why is Thunder often preferred over Thunderbolt in GSC when, from ADV on, people suddenly preferred Thunderbolt? Neither of the moves changed significantly between gens, from what I can tell. Is it just a mindset thing, where inaccurate moves were more forgivable in GSC, or does it help popular users (Raikou, Zapdos) net certain metagame-relevant kills that stopped being relevant in ADV?

dom

Banned deucer.
Why is Thunder often preferred over Thunderbolt in GSC when, from ADV on, people suddenly preferred Thunderbolt? Neither of the moves changed significantly between gens, from what I can tell. Is it just a mindset thing, where inaccurate moves were more forgivable in GSC, or does it help popular users (Raikou, Zapdos) net certain metagame-relevant kills that stopped being relevant in ADV?
this was asked on the last page http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...k-ii-roa-edition.3468567/page-30#post-6889890

Main Pokemon Stadium differences to RBY:
  • Substitute blocks all status.
  • Hyper Beam always recharges, even after KOing the target.
  • Sleep lasts between 1-3 turns.
  • Critical hits happen less for fast Pokémon, more for slow Pokémon (relative to RBY).
  • Focus Energy works.
  • Team Preview is on.
  • Partial trapping moves (wrap etc.) stop when the target switches out.
  • HP values are displayed
  • No recoil damage if the target is KOed.
  • The weird RBY bugs like 255, dig/fly glitch are fixed.

Maybe worth noting: It has to recharge even if it misses! (so always in this case means always)

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
I did check on PS, and hazards do go away, but idk if the implementation is necessarily correct. Bulbapedia says that hazards do not go away if the spinning Pokemon faints from any recoil, so I guess I'm looking for someone to test it in game to verify that PS has it right.
Probably you won't be able to test it in-game, at least in a wi-fi battle since the servers are off.

Is Celebi genuinely an Uber in GSC? Or is it not really all that broken but we keep it in Ubers anyway because it's too late to mess with GSC OU because tradition keeps it stable?
Looking at Celebi's GSC movepool, it's really... Underwhelming, outside of the obvious Heal Bell. I know you shouldn't draw connections between gens and there's power creep, but Celebi got a buff when it got Calm Mind in ADV, and it was still dropped there in spite of that.
Would there by any point in something like "Celebubers" as a parallel to RBY Mewbers?

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
there's been gscelebi tours and they were HUGE stallfests. celebi has the full 100/100/100 defensive stats, leech seed, recover, heal bell and a filler move to go around with, making rest usage super safe in a tier where bug attacks are fairly rare and only once a stab, ttar crunch is special and offensive fire/flying/poison/ice/ghost attacks are almost never seen/stab.

some random calcs to highlight the bulk:

Houndoom Crunch vs. Celebi: 185-218 (45.9 - 54%) -- 3.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Snorlax Double-Edge vs. Celebi: 138-163 (34.2 - 40.4%) -- 45.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Gengar Ice Punch vs. Celebi: 131-154 (32.5 - 38.2%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Nidoking Ice Beam vs. Celebi: 125-148 (31 - 36.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Skarmory Drill Peck vs. Celebi: 153-180 (37.9 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Steelix Explosion vs. Celebi: 325-382 (80.6 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

etc. etc. celebi makes sure that nothing dies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)