2016 musics

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you enjoyed Channel Orange (you should have enjoyed it) and haven't given a listen to Blonde yet I highly recommend it. Nikes is a little strange but the album in general is incredible.

If you enjoyed Channel Orange (you should have enjoyed it) and haven't given a listen to Blonde yet I highly recommend it. Nikes is a little strange but the album in general is incredible.
not a big fan of frank, but i've heard he released an album just to body def jam, and then released blonde the way we wanted

what a pro doing all these doubles

(thats +1 reason to listen to the new album just for the lulz)

ka's a freakin beast dude. i've been a little more keen on the knight's gambit > honor killed the samurai, but that may very well be b.c his is the type of music that really gains value w/repeated listens. idk x_x

blonde is pretty solid tho; i enjoyed channel orange more on a compositional level than anything (not to say i didn't care for it generally, jus that its content didn't connect as much for me), but this one has much more of an immediate draw imo. it irks me a ton that the opening and closing tracks are the most wack on the project, 'cuz i think it'd go over way better if it bookended nicely, but there's a real strong sense of songwriting and cohesion overall. solo is one of my fave tracks rn, and i like how the 'skits' actually seem to further a narrative rather than being fluff for the sake of aesthetic.

also, you can stream the new clipping album now, do it if you're into experimental rap o_o they're deffo pullin a lot more from their old, super abrasive sounds of midcity in places while blending in some of the smoother textured stuff, which i dig a lot

Last edited:
yeah i agree that nikes is one of the more eh songs frank put out but other than that the album is stellar. self control is a pretty addictive song and solo / pink + white / close to you / skyline to are all great as well.

i liked the visual album as well, good on frank for going against the status quo following up all the hype that was going on before the release

Nikes is one of my favorite songs on the album tho. I'll admit it took a couple of listens though before I liked it, I thought it was pretty wack at first. The other tracks I really like are ivy, pink + white, and solo.

Anyone else here listened to Prima Donna by Vince Staples yet? His debut album last year, Summertime '06, was my fav album of 2015, and I think PD is a nice follow up. War ready, smile, and prima donna are all great songs from the ep, and Vince has great flow and delivery over the the entirety of the project. The beats are all top notch too.

e: EP and song are both named prima donna

Last edited:
yeah, i've been giving it a fair amount of spins, and i'd say its pretty solid overall. personally, i've felt as though vince has been greatly overrated as a lyricist (there are some real nice moments to come out of his blunt, unforgiving brand, but really its only something to call fantastic when juxtaposed to the bulk of the def jam label), but his ear for beats is really fuckin good and he can come through with some fantastic, moody bangers when he puts his mind to it. going off that, i think the ep format is pretty perfect for him, 'cuz it lets him trim down the shitty, self-indulgent cuts (summertime of his full-length had a nice idea to it, but was one such example) and just get to the meat of what makes him an interesting artist. again, some real nice production from dahi & pals, with some memorable performances from him. goes over well for me, but fuck me he needs to keep biting for cover art influence, that is atrocious lol.

similar vein, carly rae jepsen's emotion b-sides. i really dug that full-length, and i think these tracks are real dang good, maybe better for being slightly shorter.

haven't listened to prima donna yet but from what ive heard from others its pretty good, vince has generally come out with pretty solid stuff before even if summertime 06 had a few boring tracks despite being a nice listen otherwise.

the new travis scott / isaiah rashad albums came out yesterday and i liked both of them...bittsm is pretty much what you would expect from travis with the whole ominous feel but like rodeo it has some pretty solid features especially from kendrick and bryson tiller. guidance is probably one of the best tracks scotts put out also. on the other hand the sun's tirade has way more interesting instrumentals compared to cilvia demo and rashad comes through with the same kind of lyricism that made his last album good. im surprised i mean didnt make it onto the album since its really good but i guess it didnt really fit in with the kind of mood the album had.

excited for the new mac miller and danny brown coming out soon as well

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nikes is one of my favorite songs on the album tho. I'll admit it took a couple of listens though before I liked it, I thought it was pretty wack at first. The other tracks I really like are ivy, pink + white, and solo.

I actually agree with this, first time through Nikes is whack and you question what the fuck Frank was thinking, but a time or two later I really started to enjoy it, especially the latter part of the song. Pink + White, Solo, and Nights are arguably the best songs on the album, Ivy is also incredible. I just really enjoy the album tbh

guys from Sao Paulo/Brazil. Came up as a mixture of samba, jazz and rock. now its very king crimson-esque tho
some of the guys here played in the great Elza Soares' album released 2015 (2016 at USA and other countries if i'm not mistaken)

Last edited:

Rare Poison

if im butter then ur a hot knife
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
yeah I pretty much agree with what everyone has said about Blonde

I've been obsessed with this album for the past couple of weeks. Ivy is my favorite song by far; I also like Pink + White and Solo. The "Be Yourself" message from his mom and the "Facebook Story" anecdote I thought were pretty strange after the first listen but now, I think they make sense within the whole scheme of the album.

KT going back to more upbeat stuff. I was not too big on Invisible Empire so I appreciate this step back. So another fun pop album, lots of them coming out lately it seems.

Epitaphs is not as good as Void Mother but I haven't had enough listens to form a proper opinion yet. Gonna spin it a TON this week tho.

hey. atrocity exhibition is really fucking good. danny's best, i'd reckon; it built up danny's strong points until this point (wild flow, sharp / depraved lyricism, etc), reinforced it w/some of the best production he dropped down on thus far. btdubs, called the fantano rating in advance, i'm the best to do it bruh bruh

the new preoccupations (fka viet kong) and inter arma are also pretty strong as well if u were hesitant on it. if anybody besides bkc heard the new neurosis (cuz idc what he thinks lmao), i'd love to get some input. haven't checked it yet, but it seems promising

Rare Poison

if im butter then ur a hot knife
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
yea, this album is great. different from his other stuff, though

I've been hyped for it ever since I heard the first two songs he put out, and I'm glad to say that I wasn't disappointed!!

anyone here listening to anything that isn't wildly publicized on pitchfork besides our metal friends?
i don't know how "publicized" it is but the new Phantogram dropped and it's brutally good.

here's some other awesome lesser-hyped non-metal albums for your perusal:
Pinkshinyultrablast / Damien Jurado / Sad Bastard Bookclub / Colin Stetson / William Ryan Fritch

Lorenzo Masotto / The Black Queen / Jonathan & Corentin Aussems / Nils Frahm & Ólafur Arnalds / Snowblink

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)