Do you have a job?

Do you have a job?

• Total voters

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jane Street Capital
You should learn to play chess. They practically offered me a final round interview just because I was in business school and my chess club president (rated ~2000 USCF). I still wear the t-shirt they gave me all the time. Super comfortable.

Anyway, glad things are working out for you. Interesting that you talk about Pokemon in interviews. I keep chess on my resume for this same reason. For whatever reason employers think people who are good at strategic games = OMGSOSMART even when the job and game have nothing to do with each other

My work history was sketchy to say the least. When i first started things off 1all I ever wanted to do was to join the USMC, tried it and my knee blew apart horribly (along time ago) feel into harder substances on my way home cause no one I thought would care, no direction in life or a car3e in the world I found out I hade a 8 year old Autisitic sister. MY father after reconnecting with him gave me some options and I forced my self sober and to get on my feet. Work at McDonalds for awhile into some very bad decisions lead me to leaving my hometown to go off with a rebound girl.That didnt work out soo well so I hoped freinds house to friends house into I got back into drug sales, what broke me out of that was not seeing my sister cause I didnt want her to role model a scum bag and finding a woman I was serious about, soo I worked for a hardware store (horribly money but if kept food in my stomach and it was a legit job.) then got sick of hours and left to work at a decent resturant (where I am now) as a dishwasher turned to cook. My voulenteer work started when I wanted to help people that see the world in a innocent view soo I do a soup kicthen every weds morning as a cook and I help out with kids with special handicaps on life.

I do not currently have a job, as I am too young for a "real" job, however I am applying for an apple picking job at my local school farm (I'm not sure if those are things where other people live) once school starts back up. I'll probably also be doing things for my elderly relatives (moving furniture, mowing lawns, ect.) during harvest break.

Well, I kinda have job. 2 weeks ago I started my own company with my investor. Deal is simple: his money, my work and our profits. We have 20 000 PLN for this business (around 5.500 USD, but in Poland prices are lower so you can actually buy more for that) so it's not a lot of money but still a thing. I was planed to be my holidays job plus part time job durring academic year (I'm 18 and this year I'm starting economics) but some stuff took really long time and I probably won't do that much in holidays.

Right now I'm waiting for machines and material and I have mixed feelings about this thing. Sometimes is fine, sometimes I wake up in night fearing that I won't sell shit. However in any case being CEO of any company looks nice CV.

Last edited:

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll start of with saying that I live in one of the larger if not the largest car manufacturing cities in the world,

Currently I work as a TPT at Chryslers. A TPT is Temporary Part Time, it's a program created to gain part time workers who are also going to College or University. As a TPT you're required to work 3 shifts a week, Monday, Friday, and Saturday, the days people are most likely to take off. You can work more than that but that's up to you. Currently as a TPT I work 48 hours a week. I've graduated from College and although I have job opportunities in my field, my "part time" job at Chryslers gives me more a year than they would. I'm going back to school simply so I can remain a TPT and put in absurd hours a week while also staying in School. I should also mention im going to try and become a full time employee there too

Last edited:
Reactions: v

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I got a job teaching a top 5 nationally-ranked private school and have been doing that for about a month now. I love the other faculty members, the students are awesome, and it has some nice benefits. It required me to relocate to a part of the country I wasn't thrilled about, but things have actually been okay and I've made a couple friends. Obviously the pay isn't the best, but I'm happy where I landed.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I just got told today by my general manager that I've been passed over for promotions because the rest of my superiors are intimidated by me and went over his head to the regional manager about it. "I would certainly understand if you left due to the circumstances." No shit.

I work part time at a researcher in my university, in a Social Comunication group, studying gender issues at media coverage of Olympic Games.

I work 6 hours/week (yes!!). Money is D ranked (pays me half of minimum wage for Brazil), but I have my parents to back me up, so it's gg anyway. I have too much free time it worths being badly paid.

That being said, I also have time to work as freelancer translator/corrector at a music online magazine, and to start a small Public Relations company with a friend. In near future, I might also help my girlfriend to open her own clothes store. :]

As a kind of introvert person studying social communication, I must say, as other have been saying in this thread, networking is a skill that worth being developed, even it might be unpleasant and exaustive.

It was the first thing my boss helped me develop when I started my first internship and it made me wonders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)