ORAS NU Volcanic (88% GXE, Peaked #22)

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Hi everyone, this is a cool team centered around a unique set in Specs Magmortar which I made for NUL a while back. It's been very successful for me both on the ladder and in tours so I thought I'd share it now that it has run its course. Without further ado, here's the team:

The Team + Building Process:

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I decided that I wanted to make a team around Specs Magmortar after HJAD mentioned how underrated it was, and after using it for a while I can safely say this set is ridiculously strong. This Magmortar set functions as a dedicated wallbreaker that lures in its own checks and decimates them with coverage. For example, a Choice Specs boosted Focus Blast can OHKO Spdef Miltank, Tank Rhydon and Regirock, while Fire Blast does crazy things like 2HKOing Spdef Mega Audino after Stealth Rock. Due to Magmortar's respectable Special bulk it also still acts as a soft check to threats such as Aurorus, Abomasnow, Lilligant, Mismagius, Rotom, and Vivillon.

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

The next Pokemon I added to the team was Gastrodon. Gastrodon is one of the best partners for Magmortar that there is, as it covers its 3 major weaknesses to Water-, Rock-, and Ground-types such as Samurott, Archeops, and Rhydon respectively. Gastro also gives me a great switch into Lanturn and blocks opposing Pokemon from gaining momentum with Volt Switch. I went with Clear Smog over Toxic as a personal preference, mainly because I prefer dealing with set up sweepers such as SD Samurott, SD Pinsir, and Scyther with ease, although this does mean I have to play cautiously around SubToxic Mantine.

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Scyther was the third Pokemon I added onto the team, as it gave more a solid Fighting-type resist, a Grass-type resist, a bulky wincon which can take advantage of weakened Rock-types, and the first half of my VoltTurn cores which aims to bring in Magmortar safely. Scyther works as a great late game cleaner after Magmortar has nuked its checks such as Regirock, and also gives the team some speed which it was desperately lacking.

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Next, I had to prioritize hazard removal while also keeping in mind that I was somewhat weak to Ghost-types, in particular stuff like Golurk, Haunter, and NP Mismagius. I also decided that this team would prefer a Defogger rather than a Spinner as it was important to keep hazards off the field for Magmortar and Scyther to stay healthy and maintain longevity. Skuntank fit this role very nicely, while also giving me a way to lure and weaken Ground-types such as Rhydon and Steelix should I choose to not Defog on that turn. Acid Spray is a cool tech option for nailing bulky stuff like Mega Audino, Gastrodon, Spdef Miltank, Sliggoo, and Mantine.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Next, we have Scarf Rotom. I added this Rotom set because I wanted to give this team some more speed, as well as a way of reliably revenge killing +1 Vivillon, +2 Omastar, and faster stuff in general like Archeops, Tauros, Floatzel, and Jynx. Rotom also gave me a secondary check to Fighting-types not named Hariyama, as well as a Normal-type switch in. With Trick Rotom can also cripple some stuff that get in the way of Magmortar, for example AV Lanturn, Rhydon, or Sliggoo. Furthermore, Rotom gave me the second part of my VoltTurn core, and works well with Scyther in chipping away at foes.

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Toxic

The final member of my team is PhysDef Miltank. This set pretty much covered everything that my team was lacking, that being a dedicated Normal-type counter, Stealth Rock support, and a hard check to Lilligant which I still found somewhat threatening to my team after a Quiver Dance, particularly the HP Rock variant. Miltank forms a great defensive backbone with Gastrodon and Scyther and can be very hard to break through due to the access to recovery moves all three of them have.

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Vital Spirit
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Clear Smog

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Toxic

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Skuntank @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Acid Spray
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Threatlist:

:
Pyroar is probably the biggest threat to the team in my eyes, simply because it can break down Gastrodon with HP Grass and forces me to play mindgames with Rotom if I get locked into Shadow Ball. Although, Pyroar cant switch in on anything, and both Magmortar, Gastrodon, and Miltank can take a hit and remove it, while Rotom can revenge it after some chip damage.
: Charizard is likewise a threat similar to the reasons stated for Pyroar. However, it is a lot easier to deal with as it gets crippled by Stealth Rock, doesnt always carry HP Grass for Gastrodon, and is easily revenge killed by Rotom. Magmortar can also take a hit and obliterate Charizard with a Thunderbolt. SD Charizard is much easier to handle as Gastrodon easily deals with it, as well as Rotom, while Miltank can either cripple it with Toxic or go for the paralysis with Body Slam.

: Choice Band Hariyama is a nightmare to switch into for most teams, so this isnt a surprise. However, Assault Vest Hariyama can also come in on Magmortar multiple times (although it takes a solid chunk from every move due to the sheer power of Choice Specs.) and I will usually be forced to either switch into Scyther or Gastrodon. I considered running Psychic on Magmortar which would definitely help in luring Hariyama, so thats always an option.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-425270149 NUL r3
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-420590534 cool game vs an great Ubers player
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-416576044 roomtour final
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-415403377 NUL r2 vs mono rock
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-412520727 Magmortar lures Rhydon for a Scyther sweep
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-410769521 great game vs my good friend Earth .. .

Conclusion:
Overall, this was a really fun team to make which uses some pretty underrated sets that work surprisingly well together. This team has brought me some solid success so hopefully it helps out other people who wanna try it out.

Gonna make this a short one since I have way too many people to shout out individually, but a special thanks to Earth nv Allstar Yogibears Assassin Rogue and PrinceLucian for helping me work on this team and being great people. Special shoutout to HJAD for giving me the idea for this team during our test session. Shoutouts to everyone in the NU QC team for being great, to all the NU Auth for being awesome people whom I've had lots of great times with. And shoutout to all my friends from the PU, NU, and UU room, you all know who you are but I really cant be bothered to write anymore, so thanks.

Last edited:
Hello friend, this is a pretty solid and I would like to give you a small rate.

As you mentioned, Fire-type Pokemon such as special Charizard and Pyroar can be really threatening to your team, albeit the fact that they can't switch into any of your team members, they can still hurt your whole team.

What I would suggest is using a Specially Defensive version of Miltank with Thick Fat, seeing as how you can switch into Magmortar while Lilligant clicks Sleep Powder, you don't need Sap Sipper. It would help you take hits such as Fire Blast, Hyper Voice, and Air Slash, which are the most used moves on Pyroar and Charizard.
Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Other than that, I think that the team is really cool and Specs Magmortar is an underrated threat that definitely deserves more usage.

Good luck with your team.

Last edited:
hey dude

i really like the overall composition of this team since it packs a way to deal w/ pretty much all the major threats in the tier while still being able to maintain good offensive counterplay (and who doesnt love a good scyther rotom team ~_~). main thing im gonna suggest is just some set changes

i know you built your team around specs mag but the fact is, the set is pretty bad. i watched all of your replays and outside of like 1 niche situation you would have been much better off w/ just a simple av or expert belt variant. especially looking at your threat list, where you said that youre weak to special attacking fires, it just makes alot more sense to add the special bulk compared to a basically negligible loss in power (you lose a few OMG calcs but you get the job done alot more effectively in alot more matchups). plus it helps you against subtox mantine since youre really weak to that right now and not being locked only limits the amount of stuff that its able to set up on.

moving on i really dont like seeing ground stab on gastro, i think its generally pretty redundant coverage and your team would improve if you just threw on toxic > earth power (this isnt a "your team specific" thing either its just a general thing i feel). being able to catch stuff like other gastros (which kinda cockblock scyther and beat choiced magmortar), mantine on the switch and is just generally a pretty spammable status move since if you want to attack youre gonna be clicking scald 99% of the time anyways.

last change is that shuca on a skunk w/o hp grass seems pretty meh to me, especially considering how reliant this team seems to be on skunk coming and and defogging those rocks away. id suggest going w/ black sludge because the passive recovery makes a world of a difference, especially when you have another mon like scyther to come in and chew a knock off. it'll also help you out in those stalemate situations where you and your opp are just spamming rocks and defog (and judging by your replays there was a couple situations where youd be pretty boned if your opponent made the correct play and just spammed rocks in order to make sure they were up).

hope i helped! sorry for the shitty formatting @_@

Eternally, this is such a good team dude. While I think Expert Belt Magmortar might serve the purpose a touch better, I really like the team. I would probably just change Miltank to SpDef with Thick Fat, and add Thunder Wave and/or Will-O-Wisp +Hex Mismagius to the Threatlist, because once Rotom is weakened/killed and either Skunk or Magmortar are crippled, Missy has tons of fun just clicking hex. But honestly, I've played around with this team for a couple of games and it's sincerely fun and really good, so great job man :)

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
~Eternally I knew of this team beforehand, but I have to say this is a really solid team. I have something to say about the team, but first I have to say congrats on the peak (and thanks for the s/o n_n)
  • I can't say much about the team itself as it is really solid and the only "major" change I would've suggested is the one Earth suggested. That being said, Earthquake > Earth Power on Gastrodon helps the team's matchup versus Lanturn which is a threat you didn't mention as it can check Magmortar, Scyther, and Rotom all in one. And since Gastrodon is your main answer, Earthquake allows it to hit Lanturn on its weaker defensive stat.
  • Another option albeit not necessary is running Hidden Power Grass > Dark Pulse on Skuntank as this helps to secure that hazards stay off the field by getting rid of the opponent's hazard setters more easily. While Acid Spray allows Dark Pulse to chip them down easier, Hidden Power Grass is more reliable.
Other than that, this team is a really solid team and while my changes aren't really necessary, I thought I would offer up an opinion for a friend ;)

hey eternally

cool team as usual n_n it's good to see some not standard sets (and Pokémon) get usage, you talked in the threatlist about how special fires are annoying and I just want to suggest a change which maybe the above users haven't done so.

What I'm gonna suggest is changing Gastrodons spread to 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD Calm Nature > current. The main reasoning for this is that Miltank and Gastrodons often share a lot of Pokémon that they check, and in order for the team to check a wider proportion of the Metagame more efficiently, running a more spdef oriented Gastrodon is super nice. This precise spread is designed to live 2 Specs Hyper Voice from Pyroar after rocks with lefties, and as a result it allows you to check wayyyy more easily check the likes of specs charizard and other stuff such as wisphex variants of Rotom. The defense EVs mean that it is impossible for bulky sd zard to 3hko you with Acrobatics, allowing you to win vs it 1v1 in almost all switchin scenarios. That's probably more of a reason also to run clear smog > earth move since it allows you to beat sd bulky zards with more efficiency.

Good stuff, hopefully my simple change helps you out :D
~HJAD

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)