Event Discussion

There's an interesting tidbit with the Arceus:

Mystery Gift description said:
With a special flute, Arceus could first be encountered in the Hall of Origin of Pokemon Diamond and Pokemon Pearl.
Umm... yeah. Hate to break it to you, GF, but you never gave anyone that flute. In fact, had it not been for the hackers, it would still be a complete secret. Good job spoiling your own game / admitting that we won this one!

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Umm... yeah. Hate to break it to you, GF, but you never gave anyone that flute. In fact, had it not been for the hackers, it would still be a complete secret. Good job spoiling your own game / admitting that we won this one!
I couldn't possibly agree more with you on that matter. The times during which Game Freak was able to hold back information from us have been undeniably over for quite a while now.
In addition to this, I'm also afraid that there's not a damn thing they can do anymore about data mining and the fast spread of the acquired information via the internet.

I have to admit that, when I saw the first Hoopa reveal trailer on the official Pokémon YouTube channel, I couldn't help but smirk while thinking to myself:

"Good gracious, that's a plot twist and a half."
"Next thing you know they'll introduce a Fire / Water type Pokémon based on a hot spot."
"Hell if I know, hah."

But in all seriousness though, considering how much fun it is to speculate about upcoming Pokémon, we can hence deduce that it's not always necessarily a bad thing.
I mean, the recent leaks and trailers for the upcoming Sun & Moon games are a concrete prime example proving to what extent these speculations can encourage people to express and compare their wishes and expectations, which helps online communities like ours to grow even further. Communication is the beating heart of every successful community after all.

Last edited:
From Serebii:

"It has been confirmed that Volcanion is to be distributed in North America in Gamestop stores throughout October to coincide with the release of the movie Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. This distribution is a serial code obtained in store. It will also be distributed in Europe at similar times with locations yet to be announced. It is Level 70 with the moves Steam Eruption, Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Explosion and holds the Assault Vest."

GET HYPED PEOPLE!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
From Serebii:

"It has been confirmed that Volcanion is to be distributed in North America in Gamestop stores throughout October to coincide with the release of the movie Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel. This distribution is a serial code obtained in store. It will also be distributed in Europe at similar times with locations yet to be announced. It is Level 70 with the moves Steam Eruption, Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Explosion and holds the Assault Vest."

GET HYPED PEOPLE!
So October will be the final hurrah for Gen VI (well, I guess there's still the 20th Anniversary Mythical Pokemon, though I have all of those). Maybe once I get Volcanion I would do a retrospective of my Gen VI experience and how it might be looked upon in the history of Pokemon. A game changer in many ways, a set back in other, would it be bold of me to say that Gen VI might be one of the highlly disputable generations?

Just hope it comes out for the UK too. I've been trying to get my hands on a Japanese clone; I really need a Volcanion to finish up my living dex before Sun/Moon hits us
Don't remind me. I need to hit up Gamestop 4 or more times to be able to call it quits on it (two for my two versions and two for my brothers plus whatever extra I can get to give to my friends)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So October will be the final hurrah for Gen VI.
What's strange is that this is the final confirmation that Floette-E will not be distributed for the Gen VI games. Eternal Flower Floette is a full-fledged Pokémon Form, with a different model from standard Floette, different stats, it cannot evolve, a different Exp. yield, and it learns Light of Ruin at level 50. In many respects, it's almost a Pokémon on its own. And it was never distributed, nor even featured in the game. This, to my knowledge, is the first time that has happened, not counting ???-type Arceus (which was apparently created to prevent bugs). Even Gen I Mew had a distribution event, and its presence in the game was unknown to half the programming team by the time Red and Green shipped.

Arguably, the omission of Floette-E is even bigger than that of the Azure Flute. At least Arceus was released later in that same generation. Floette-E will go down in history as the first Pokémon to be fully created, coded into the games, but never encountered via legitimate means.

As to what purpose Floette-E actually served, we can only speculate. It is possible it was never intended to be distributed as an Event 'mon. The different Exp. yield from the base Floette is the "smoking gun", as that suggests you were once intended to battle it under the control of somebody else, in an environment where Exp. points are awarded. So, not in a link battle against other trainers (though arguably the Super Secret Base feature in ORAS was known to the programmers), but in-game.

Floette-E also has Light of Ruin in its level-up movepool. That indicates it was supposed to be obtainable by players, and able to re-learn the move if forgotten. I don't think it was meant to be a Pokémon Z exclusive - if that game was ever a thing - since then it wouldn't have been coded into XY, but saved for Z, like all the other generations' third-game-exclusive Forms and Formes.

My best guess - and, mind you, this is so unfounded I'd almost have to infringe myself for it - is that Floette-E was originally supposed to return to AZ after the Ultimate Weapon was destroyed in XY. He would then show up post-credits and battle you, with it on his team. Then, at some point, it'd be given to the player, probably immediately afterwards, since XY has no further postgame to build up to a giveaway. The scene could have been cut for a number of reasons, like how it'd make little sense for AZ to part with his Floette so shortly - but not immediately - after being reunited with it. If I were to guess further (and now we're into speculation territory here, not just deduction), the post-credits reward Pokémon role was instead given to Diantha's Ralts.

I could delve into further crackpottery too, being a mod has its perks, and entertain the idea that Ralts@Gardevoirite was originally going to be given to players as a Mystery Gift upon the games' release (to showcase the Fairy type, and make it so the player and Diantha could have the same Mega upon entering the Hall of Fame), but this shift meant they had to find something else to reward instead. The choice fell on a recently designed Mega, one of the Hoenn starters originally meant to be saved for ORAS: Blaziken. Because thematically, it makes no sense to release Torchic - and only Torchic - with its Mega Stone in X&Y, unless there was some sort of unforeseen circumstance. The wrench in that theory's machinery is the absolutely frustrating performance of Ralts and Kirlia in-game, though. It'd be the worst "second starter" Pokémon ever, thus not likely to be a good choice for a Mystery Gift. Other possible candidates for game-release-Mystery-Gift are Lati@s, which were coded into XY but not made available.

Maybe Floette-E will be saved for Sun/Moon? It's either that, or for once, they actually forgot about it. Guess someone will have to go into one of those hacking programs, and distribute it themselves, if that is the case, assuming anyone is even annoyed enough to do so.

What's strange is that this is the final confirmation that Floette-E will not be distributed for the Gen VI games. Eternal Flower Floette is a full-fledged Pokémon Form, with a different model from standard Floette, different stats, it cannot evolve, a different Exp. yield, and it learns Light of Ruin at level 50. In many respects, it's almost a Pokémon on its own. And it was never distributed, nor even featured in the game. This, to my knowledge, is the first time that has happened, not counting ???-type Arceus (which was apparently created to prevent bugs). Even Gen I Mew had a distribution event, and its presence in the game was unknown to half the programming team by the time Red and Green shipped.

Arguably, the omission of Floette-E is even bigger than that of the Azure Flute. At least Arceus was released later in that same generation. Floette-E will go down in history as the first Pokémon to be fully created, coded into the games, but never encountered via legitimate means.

As to what purpose Floette-E actually served, we can only speculate. It is possible it was never intended to be distributed as an Event 'mon. The different Exp. yield from the base Floette is the "smoking gun", as that suggests you were once intended to battle it under the control of somebody else, in an environment where Exp. points are awarded. So, not in a link battle against other trainers (though arguably the Super Secret Base feature in ORAS was known to the programmers), but in-game.

Floette-E also has Light of Ruin in its level-up movepool. That indicates it was supposed to be obtainable by players, and able to re-learn the move if forgotten. I don't think it was meant to be a Pokémon Z exclusive - if that game was ever a thing - since then it wouldn't have been coded into XY, but saved for Z, like all the other generations' third-game-exclusive Forms and Formes.

My best guess - and, mind you, this is so unfounded I'd almost have to infringe myself for it - is that Floette-E was originally supposed to return to AZ after the Ultimate Weapon was destroyed in XY. He would then show up post-credits and battle you, with it on his team. Then, at some point, it'd be given to the player, probably immediately afterwards, since XY has no further postgame to build up to a giveaway. The scene could have been cut for a number of reasons, like how it'd make little sense for AZ to part with his Floette so shortly - but not immediately - after being reunited with it. If I were to guess further (and now we're into speculation territory here, not just deduction), the post-credits reward Pokémon role was instead given to Diantha's Ralts.

I could delve into further crackpottery too, being a mod has its perks, and entertain the idea that Ralts@Gardevoirite was originally going to be given to players as a Mystery Gift upon the games' release (to showcase the Fairy type, and make it so the player and Diantha could have the same Mega upon entering the Hall of Fame), but this shift meant they had to find something else to reward instead. The choice fell on a recently designed Mega, one of the Hoenn starters originally meant to be saved for ORAS: Blaziken. Because thematically, it makes no sense to release Torchic - and only Torchic - with its Mega Stone in X&Y, unless there was some sort of unforeseen circumstance. The wrench in that theory's machinery is the absolutely frustrating performance of Ralts and Kirlia in-game, though. It'd be the worst "second starter" Pokémon ever, thus not likely to be a good choice for a Mystery Gift. Other possible candidates for game-release-Mystery-Gift are Lati@s, which were coded into XY but not made available.
Naw, Floette-E was most likely saved for a second Kalos game, all the third game (or OR/AS mega) only mons were tied to items outside Spiky Eared Pichu. Its presence in the game programing in XY would have been so it could be traded to X/Y. Instead of being locked like the aforementioned Pichu.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The circumstance involving Floette-E all revolves around whether, at the time of finalizing XY, did GF plan on making a Pokemon Z.

If yes, then no doubt Floette-E was meant to be given to the player in that game. Whatever Z's story would have been, at some point we'd probably would help/get help from AZ, maybe even battle him, and he'll then give us Floette-E possibly feeling he has yet to earn his redemption and wants a trainer with a kind heart to take care of it until he has.

If no, Codraroll's theory would probably be closest to why it wasn't distributed. Though that still doesn't explain why they then just didn't decide to give it away as an Event.

I don't know why Floette-E wasn't released, but I really wish it had been. I love the design of the Pokemon and admittedly was looking forward to using it over Florges for mostly cosmetic reasons.

For those of you in North America, a second chance to get Darkrai has been announced. If you sign up for the official Pokémon Trainer Club Newsletter before August 24th, then in September you will receive a serial code to receive Darkrai in the newsletter. This code cannot be redeemed if you already obtained a code for Darkrai earlier this year. Codes have to be redeemed by November 30th. No European second chance events have been announced.
--------------

Since this Newsletter second chance event had been done for Mew and is now gonna happen for Darkrai, it looks safe to assume that this will also happen with Arceus and Genesect, the remaining serial code Mythicals for 20th Anniversary.

"For those of you in Europe & Australia, a new event has begun. This event will give you a special Meowth with the move Happy Hour. This event is obtaine through Serial Code with the code HAPPY. The reasoning behind this event, and the end date is not yet known"

So this is a thing I guess???
At least it's an easy way to get Happy Hour.

So recently a lot of competitions give you codes to get a Pokémon from a memorable trainer - Lances Dragonite, Whitneys Miltank, Cynthias Garchomp, and now N's Darmanitan. I gave it a little thought and might know what Pokémon we get next if there will be a Kalos competition. AZ Floette. It does make sense to me, because, there aren't any other memorable trainers in Kalos (unless I forgot trainers)

(Mods, feel free to delete if this kind of post isn't allowed here)

Last edited:
So recently a lot of competitions give you codes to get a Pokémon from a memorable trainer - Lances Dragonite, Whitneys Miltank, Cynthias Garchomp, and now N's Darmanitan. I gave it a little thought and might know what Pokémon we get next if there will be a Kalos competition. AZ Floette. It does makes sense to me, because, there aren't any other memorable trainers in Kalos (unless I forgot trainers)

(Mods, feel free to delete is this kind of post isn't allowed here)
There's also Korrina's Lucario and Diantha's Gardevoir.
That said, each Pokémon given so far has been from the gen the event was about - the Gen 4 event gave you the Gen 4 Pokémon, for instance. So there is a lot of sense in your theory.

So recently a lot of competitions give you codes to get a Pokémon from a memorable trainer - Lances Dragonite, Whitneys Miltank, Cynthias Garchomp, and now N's Darmanitan. I gave it a little thought and might know what Pokémon we get next if there will be a Kalos competition. AZ Floette. It does makes sense to me, because, there aren't any other memorable trainers in Kalos (unless I forgot trainers)

(Mods, feel free to delete is this kind of post isn't allowed here)
I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that they'd distribute something truly unique like that as a reward for a competition. While everyone technically has the same ability to access it, realistically many people won't be aware or won't take the necessary steps and miss getting one (whether this should be a reason not to do it or not).

I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that they'd distribute something truly unique like that as a reward for a competition. While everyone technically has the same ability to access it, realistically many people won't be aware or won't take the necessary steps and miss getting one (whether this should be a reason not to do it or not).
Barrier Dragonite was pretty unique.

Most distributed things are unique in some small way. A unique species form is a different consideration (maybe it's been done though -- I don't know).
I'd argue that a new move can make almost as much of an impact as a new forme, that being said I don't see why people not hearing about it would be any reason to not do it at a competition, I mean, you can not hear about a wi-fi or store event too.

I'd argue that a new move can make almost as much of an impact as a new forme, that being said I don't see why people not hearing about it would be any reason to not do it at a competition, I mean, you can not hear about a wi-fi or store event too.
Sure. I'm all for them doing it. But I don't think they'd see it that way.

Regular moveset I expect. A real shame - last week I realised three things;

one,
that my patience in waiting to SR my two event Victinis in White (the gift one with Resh/Zek event moves, and the one you catch in the basement) was not wasted, thanks to the new Gold Bottlecap,

two,
the event moves that the OU Vicitini sets like to use were never released outside of Japan,

and three (as a result of two),
nope, it was wasted. Thanks, GameFreak. :|

Regular moveset I expect. A real shame - last week I realised three things;

one,
that my patience in waiting to SR my two event Victinis in White (the gift one with Resh/Zek event moves, and the one you catch in the basement) was not wasted, thanks to the new Gold Bottlecap,

two,
the event moves that the OU Vicitini sets like to use were never released outside of Japan,

and three (as a result of two),
nope, it was wasted. Thanks, GameFreak. :|
At least a lesser-but-still-viable variant was released. You can get V-Create and Fusion Bolt on an event Victini from Gen 5 in America.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)