Pokémon GO

I caught a Snorlax this morning near a market. It had 15 Atk and Def IVs. Problem is it had 0-6 HP IVs and had awful movesets (Lick and Body Slam). Low CP but then its because I'm only Lv16.

Caught a perfect 15/15/15 snorlax with a stampede of pokemon go players at central park today! =)

Among the other goodies I caught today were a Muk, Venusaur, Jolteon, Primeape, and Tentacruel, all at around 1300 CP with Venu being at a nice 1600. Almost at 130/150 caught, but I'm saving up some of my mons like Omanyte and Vulpix to evolve later since they dont have good IVs.
I'm kind of in the same position as you. I'm at 135/150 and I only need a few evolutions. And Aerodactyl which I never encountered, but I guess I'm completely dependent on 10km eggs for that. I'm also waiting to evolve the few new dex entries because they have really shitty IVs (see Charizard, Venusaur, etc.). Since I spent more than a month getting 125+ candies for those mons I'd rather not waste them when I know the evo will have trash IVs. I'm curious what I will be up to when I completed the whole (possible) dex.

And indeed, post moveset!

I caught a Snorlax this morning near a market. It had 15 Atk and Def IVs. Problem is it had 0-6 HP IVs and had awful movesets (Lick and Body Slam). Low CP but then its because I'm only Lv16.
it might come down to personal preference but i think lick/body slam is the best moveset. lick/hyper beam is mathematically the highest dps but body slam has a really low cooldown so you can use it between defender quick attacks and still dodge perfectly. and if you aren't paying attention to when they use their special attacks, usually you can finish the body slam animation and still have time to dodge without taking a full hydro pump/solarbeam/fire blast to the face. the latter is probably a more important consideration (charge attacks hurt a lot). the loss in dps is about 3% so for me the flexibility makes it worth it. plus, with body slam, you overkill less, which helps to offset the drop in dps (or even makes body slam more real-world efficient).

as for defense... yeah, it's one of the worst movesets on defense. but i think the best defense is psychological, anyways, because dodging + picking matchups means if someone wants to take down your gym, it doesn't really matter what moves you have. if you stick a fat 2000+ snorlax (with any moveset!) in a gym with lapras, dragonite, other snorlax, etc, people will probably avoid attacking it because it's not worth the time/items. if i'm gonna spend stardust and rare pokemon candy on something, i'll be concerned about its moveset's offensive capability, not its defensive capability.

current quests: getting a high iv dragon breath/dclaw dragonite and a high iv frost breath/blizzard lapras

if johto isn't out by the time i get those then i guess i will probably stop playing... or hopefully have some other goals to work on... what a silly game we play :(

Some guy on pokemongo.gamepress re-checked the damage. It turns out that in a 40 seconds battle, Lick + Body Slam set has a little advantage in a total period of 17.98 seconds of the battle, and the leading damage amount turns to be smaller and smaller. After 40 seconds, and that's when Hyper Beam is used the 3rd time, Lick + Hyper Beam seems to be always better than Body Slam. So I would say Lick + Hyper Beam is indeed the best offensive moveset in most cases. Body Slam is only possibly better in a short battle. And besides having a higher DPS, Body Slam also has a 1.5 second cooldown, allowing you to dodge the next attack instead of being stuck in a 5 second hyper beam and getting hit while doing it.

so this ended up happening.
I have 2 Hypnos
one at 1050 with
confusion
Psychic
15/11/15
which is candied to 1081
I have another hypno.
1081 cp
Confusion
Shadow ball
14/5/12
they both have exactly the same HP and candy cost to level.
argues a great case for the IV checker we now have
I kept both because I can use the shadow ball hypno on other hypnos

another thing, where has Ingress got these weights from? i know for purposes of extra large and extra small but I am seeing silly numbers
a quick look at vaporeons pokedex weight in the original game shows 29 kg, the one I have in GO has the shockingly heavy weight of 0.78 KG, so my vaporeon is not only a beast, but is just a bag of air.
oh and my 91.1% Hypno (the one above) weights a whole 14.84.... the other hypnos are around 80-90kg
oh any My gyarados 45.51 KG
I got a few starmie lightest weighs 31.23, Heaviest.... 112.82

Well, back at University, and the Campus is loaded with pokespots. Compared to at home where I saw maybe 6 in a park and 1 every couple miles, this is gonna be nice.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Dumb question is dumb, but how bad is Water Pulse on Vaporeon? I caught a 15/15/15 Eevee yesterday afternoon during my lunch break, but the dumb thing got Water Pulse when it evolved...
Water Gun / Water Pulse is actually the best Vaporeon moveset for Defense. I too had an almost perfect Vaporeon and got Water Pulse and got sad, but then I realized its the best moveset for leaving it at a Gym and I already had a high IV Hydro Pump Vaporeon for Offense. Gives good versatility so dont be too sad. If you plan on using it for offense then yeah its garbage tho lol.

Reactions: Xen
Well, back at University, and the Campus is loaded with pokespots. Compared to at home where I saw maybe 6 in a park and 1 every couple miles, this is gonna be nice.
Same! Had my first day of college yesterday and there are multiple pokestops on campus. There's even a gym, which is constantly changing leadership. I see quite a bit of people play in their free time, it's really cool. I wanted to strike up conversation with some girls I saw who were playing, but I was too shy. :/

Also, my school even has lure events. I took a picture of a flyer they had on a board where they talked about a lure event they were having on campus today, but unfortunately, I have no classes on Tuesdays. I was trying to upload the image here, but it's too large.

Last edited:
ahh yes the defence mechanics..
I have a 91.1% hypno with confusion and Psychic, which seems like a great defence combo

One thing that's interesting to me is the behavioral patterns you see in stocked + populated areas for the game like university. Mystic and Valor constantly change leadership of the 4 Gyms around the "main" area of campus and the dorms, then once Midnight passes, everything shifts control to Instinct until morning. And as expected, the number of players on Instinct (my team choice) is more sparse than Valor and Mystic.

Whenever I try to get my defender bonus when I was took a gym it didn't seem to work.

Also I saw a gym with a Tauros in it and I'm in Europe is that normal?

caught an 86.7% IVed Dratini today..
now to get the candies.....

and yes people travel, and plenty of people visit north america.. the spawns there seem rather unfair though. always nice things.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
On one hand you get blessed with shit like this:

On the other, you evolve your 4th one and you get the same moveset you have the past 3 times:

This game is just a dumb roller coaster...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Is it fair one of my nitpicks of this game is that it doesn't let you choose your Pokemon's movesets? It's the same problem I had with Pokemon Conquest, why am I not allowed to change my moves? I can understand limiting the amount of moves, annoying but fine if the concept of the game calls for it, but not being able to change them? I'd dare say that somewhat goes against part of the fun of Pokemon battling, trying out different moves and creating a moveset that works best for you. This will especially be a problem when they implement player vs player battling.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it fair one of my nitpicks of this game is that it doesn't let you choose your Pokemon's movesets? It's the same problem I had with Pokemon Conquest, why am I not allowed to change my moves? I can understand limiting the amount of moves, annoying but fine if the concept of the game calls for it, but not being able to change them? I'd dare say that somewhat goes against part of the fun of Pokemon battling, trying out different moves and creating a moveset that works best for you. This will especially be a problem when they implement player vs player battling.
Pokémon Conquest has a bit of an excuse in that because each Pokémon is guaranteed to have a certain move, it differentiates certain lines from each other, such as Machamp's Cross Chop vs Conkeldurr's Superpower. Go's lines are all different from each other (for example, Fearow gets access to Drill Run, unlike Dodrio) so having the moves have a chance to be so mundane (like Bite on Gyarados) is dumb in my opinion.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pokémon Conquest has a bit of an excuse in that because each Pokémon is guaranteed to have a certain move, it differentiates certain lines from each other, such as Machamp's Cross Chop vs Conkeldurr's Superpower. Go's lines are all different from each other (for example, Fearow gets access to Drill Run, unlike Dodrio) so having the moves have a chance to be so mundane (like Bite on Gyarados) is dumb in my opinion.
Though Pokemon Conquest still had the type chart. So only for pure type Pokemon who had a move of their type (Pokemon Conquest only gave ONE move to each Pokemon) this makes sense. But then we had Pokemon with two types so could only have a move of one of their types (and some even switch the type of their move making their evolution line play differently from one another, and that's not mentioning move effects which really mattered as they now had ranges to them).

This problem also goes for Pokemon Go. Though there can have two moves plenty of Pokemon get moves not of their type so, while it adds a bit of diversity, you still have no control over it so you could end up with a moveset that doesn't fully optimize the Pokemon the way you want it. However Pokemon Go can be changed so maybe a future update will add in move changing.

Though Pokemon Conquest still had the type chart. So only for pure type Pokemon who had a move of their type (Pokemon Conquest only gave ONE move to each Pokemon) this makes sense. But then we had Pokemon with two types so could only have a move of one of their types (and some even switch the type of their move making their evolution line play differently from one another, and that's not mentioning move effects which really mattered as they now had ranges to them).

This problem also goes for Pokemon Go. Though there can have two moves plenty of Pokemon get moves not of their type so, while it adds a bit of diversity, you still have no control over it so you could end up with a moveset that doesn't fully optimize the Pokemon the way you want it. However Pokemon Go can be changed so maybe a future update will add in move changing.
Once everybody has collected all(or their fav) poke and chosen their movesets they then drift away from the game as they have nothing left to achieve. Once a gamer has a sense of acomplishment within a game it then gets put aside for the next game, Blitzamirin now has to go out and collect another 400 magikarp candie for him to achieve what he wants....and thats what game producers want ...dont hate them for it, alls fair in love and war...they find ways to keep us playing and we find cheats to achieve what we want quicker!

I hope Niantic sort out the catch rates as some of the mons they spawn are just nigh impossible to catch. I saw a wild Pidgeot (CP 500+) and tried to catch it. It ate a Razz Berry but still burst out from Excellent throws with a curve from a Great Ball (I haven't unlocked Ultra Balls). After using up over 15 Great Balls and 20 Poke Balls, I just gave up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)