Podcasts

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've found myself listening to podcasts more lately, mostly as a way to keep myself entertained and engaged when I'm on walks or just mindlessly browsing things. They're also nice to listen to on drives. What are some podcasts you guys listen to? Some I have enjoyed so far are 538's Election podcast, Slate's Political Gabfest, Around the NFL & some various fantasy football podcasts, and NPR's Money Talks.

The Mega 64 Podcast is always great if you're a fan of them, and that's pretty much the only one I've ever listened to.

I only listen to three podcasts.
  • The SourceFed Podcast from the Youtube channel SourceFed
Love the mix randomness and seriosness, and the mix of different hosts.
  • She Didn't Text Back
Two guys talking about a bunch of different stuff also having some good comedy and nice series conversations.
  • Overchat
A podcast based around the game Overwatch from the Overwatch Youtuber Unit Lost. I just enjoy hearing some people talk about a my favorite game to date.

Last edited:
Mostly listen to comedy podcasts like No Such Thing As A Fish and Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4. Haven't actually listened to a podcast from somewhere other than the UK now that I think about it.

The only podcast that I listen to consistently is Last Podcast On The Left. It's a comedy/horror podcast, where they talk about "all they horrors our world has to offer both imagined and real," which is a direct quote from them. I got into it when I found out they talk about serial killers.

I only listen to three podcasts.
  • The SourceFed Podcast from the Youtube channel SourceFed
I've listened to this one a few times.

I also listen to the Roosterteeth podcast on occasion.

1. Hello Internet - Fluff podcast featuring CGPGrey and Brady Haran from Numberphile. Humor/metajokes/discussion. They get into some annoying arguments sometimes but if you can stomach those it's great.
  2. RadioLab - A bunch of top tier journalistic pieces, pretty much, except as a podcast. The topics the producers choose are hit-and-miss, but mostly hit.
  3. 99% Invisible - Similar to RadioLab. Shorter stories and more frequent.
  4. Hardcore History - A dude goes in-depth about well known historic events that you may have never looked at deeply before. Each podcast episode is pretty long so it's a slow burner.
I listen to podcasts when I commute to work. I take the bus. Podcasts are a real lifesaver.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I typically just listen to The Infinite Monkey Cage by the BBC because it's funny, informative and has more content than what airs on the radio.

I really like the co optional podcast. I think jesse cox is really funny in podcast form (I don't care much for his videos). I like the dynamic of totalbiscuit, jesse cox and Dodger I think it works really well. Also I find it funny that part of the reason I look forward to a podcast is to listen to the square space ads. Those ads are a tier of their own.
I found this podcast after podtaku was shut down and I am really liking the co optional podcast.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I listen to the Rooster Teeth Podcast, Off Topic (achievement hunter podcast), and Dude Soup (Funhaus Podcast) nearly every week. The former 2 are basically about nothing and generally not something you'd listen to at work, the Dude Soup is generally about a recent movie or game and their thoughts about it, usually spoiler heavy so be warned.

modern love - SUPERB.

ask me another - also fantastic.

wait wait dont tell me is the best, enough said.

you don't have to be a car person to love car talk.

ted radio hour is always good

I love npr

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm a pro wrestling nerd so I'll occasionally listen to The Steve Austin Show or Art of Wrestling. I also used to take part in numerous Smash related podcasts, where we'd discuss anything from characters and stages to metagame, as well as community-based activities that the podcasts were connected to. I would love to start doing podcasts again but I wouldn't know where to start.

I'm a pro wrestling nerd so I'll occasionally listen to The Steve Austin Show or Art of Wrestling. I also used to take part in numerous Smash related podcasts, where we'd discuss anything from characters and stages to metagame, as well as community-based activities that the podcasts were connected to. I would love to start doing podcasts again but I wouldn't know where to start.
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you do these podcasts? Like, where did you film it, where did you upload it, equipment, etc? I'm actually kind of interested in making a podcast of my own someday.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
If you don't mind me asking, how exactly did you do these podcasts? Like, where did you film it, where did you upload it, equipment, etc? I'm actually kind of interested in making a podcast of my own someday.
All of ours were done over Skype since once of our hosts lived in Georgia. We had used MP3SkypeRecorder and he did all the editing work so I'm not entirely sure what went on there.

Nowadays though, it's pretty simple depending on what you're doing. If you're just doing a solo podcast, then all you'll need is a good microphone and Audacity. For a high quality microphone, I would recommend the Blue Yeti Studio, which is what I have. It's an incredible mic, the best I've have by a huge margin. If you can't afford to shell out $150+ for it, that's okay, because Blue has less expensive options that are still great, such as the standard Yeti, Snowball, and even the Snowflake. If the Snowflake ($60 US) is still out of your price range, you can find some cheaper ones by poking around online, but if you want the best quality, I recommend a Blue microphone of some sort.

As for recording podcasts over Skype, Pamela is a great program. It'll record your calls and is easy to set up.

As for where I've uploaded, they went to YouTube, but honestly, I think SoundCloud would be your best choice, as it won't mess with your quality at all, and it provides a much better format for those listening to music/podcasts than YouTube.

I'm not a professional by any means but I had a lot of fun doing podcasts and hope I can start doing them again sometime. If you have any other questions for me I'll do my best to help you out.

Sleepycabin is my favorite podcast by far. Really funny, talented animators who talk about art and make stupid jokes. Listening to these guys is the only way I can tolerate my job, lol. If youre interested, S2E14 and S1E13 are some of the better episodes.

My Brother, My Brother and Me is really good too. Three comedian brothers run a podcast where they answer shitty Yahoo Answers questions. Charming guys, worth a listen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)