ORAS OU My First RMT: Mega Lopunny Team

Hi, my name is Rymaka and I'm relatively new to Pokemon Showdown. I can see that I'm not too bad at the game (I made it to 1450 on ladder) but I believe with the help of other people in the community I can continue to improve and climb the ladder further, and maybe with hard work and dedication make it to the top

So here is my team, starring Mega Lopunny.

Karate (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Return

I decided to base the team around the powerhouse of Mega Lopunny. Mega Lopunny is a strong wallbreaker and on occasion a revenge killer in OU. With access to strong stab moves like High Jump Kick and Return and coverage moves like the elemental punches, Lopunny is a force to be reckoned with.

Mallet (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

I wanted a solid wall that can stop threats to Lopunny and why not pick a pokemon that can also set up rocks and also be able to hit things hard. Lando-T is the perfect pokemon to fit this role. It is also the lead on my team to set rocks and then usually U-Turn depending on what pokemon is in.

Zingg (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Another thing I needed was a choice user and also something that could possibly complete my VolTurn core with Lando-T. I'm a big fan of Magnezone as a Pokemon due to its incredible attack power and solid defensive stats. The only thing it lacks is speed, which is the reason I decided to use a choice scarf on it. Its typing also counters flying and psychic types, both of which can give Mega Lopunny and Amoonguss a hard time. It's ability Magnet Pull also helps trapping things like Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor

Drake (Amoonguss) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Amoonguss was added on my team to help out with both Water and Grass types, which can really get some members of my team a bit bent out of shape. It also has the utility move of Spore to put threats to sleep. I decided to give it the hidden move of HP Ice to hit unsuspecting Garchomps and Lando-Ts.

Razor (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

I wanted a set-up sweeper that can also cover the Psychic and the Ice weakness to my team and the obvious choice was SD Bisharp. It can revenge kill using Swords Dance and it also is able to set up on mismatches.

Premium (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin

Lastly I needed a spinner on my team so people can't spam Spikes or just put down Stealth Rocks. I was deciding between the Offensive or Defensive sets of Starmie, but in the end I decided to chose the Offensive set. I chose to put Scald over Hydro Pump due to the amount of times it can miss and how I have a possibility of burning offensive threats.

Thank you for reading this, and try to give me some good ways to improve the team. Also the importable is below this. -Rymaka

Karate (Lopunny-Mega) (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out
- Return

Mallet (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Zingg (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Razor (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Premium (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin

I would change the spread on Amoonguss. As much as I love offensive/bulky Amoongus, it kinda sucks. Death by all things fire. I'd try this if I were you, especially seeing as how you don't have a phazer/hazer.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

Also, I would run Frustration over Return. Frustration allows for Ditto not to copy its friendship (seeing as how common Ditto is).
Also, in case of troll teams that like to run attract and T-Wave, don't specify the natures of your pokemon. Let the generator/game decide it.

explodingdaisies

What's the point of talking if nobody ever listens
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
weavile is a huge threat for your team. especially low kick weavile. id suggest running magneton over magnezone. yes you're losing out on the bulk that mag has but you need something that can outspeed and at least revenge weavile(also torn-t) aside from m-lop.

Hey man, welcome to smogon! Lopunny is definitely a solid pokemon and even though there's a lot of birds in the current meta, it still is able to be a huge threat to most teams and definitely something that people need to play around.

Looking at your team, I have a few suggestions...

Magnezone is a very team specific pokemon. He isn't at all splashable, and you only use him if your team has something that needs the removal of steels. So, if you're using something like a mega diancie or a kyurem black, then you could pair it with magnezone and build the team from there. However considering your team handles steels pretty well (You have lopunny, landorus, and the pokemon that I'm about to suggest as well) I recommend changing Scarf Magnezone to defensive Rotom-Wash and Starmie to Latios. Doing this does a few things;

-By adding rotom-wash to your defensive backbone, this team is able to more confidently take on birds (tornadus included), keldeo, mega metagross, heatran, slowbro, and weavile
-Latios gives the team the hazard removal that starmie brought, along with being a more reliable check to most of the things you probably used starmie to check. The lati set better checks keldeo, volcanion, and mega venusaur (Who kinda walls most of your team) along with a much better offensive presence than starmie imo. In addition to that, lati pairs well with lopunny because a lot of the threats to lati (T-tar, weavile, bisharp for darks and ferrothorn, and heatran for steels) are handled well by lop.
-It gives you a good slow VoltTurn core that allows you to bring in lop, bisharp, and lati safely
-Together they form a more reliable resistance against water types than mag and starmie
-Right now, landorus is checking a whole lot of physical attackers. There's a lot of pressure on him to do that, and he's going to get worn down easily.

Another suggestion I have would be to change that amoonguss set to this one:

EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The bulky attacker set really isn't very good, and considering how the team kinda struggled vs things like azumarill, it will really help to be running more bulk. I do think you can afford to run a lot more special defense to better check some obnoxious threats (The above EVs allow you to survive the 2HKO from specs keldeo's HP flying, and LO thundurus' HP ice after rocks while still surviving the 2HKO from things like scarf lando's EQ, mega lopunny's return, and offensive mega scizor's bug bite) because the other two members of your defensive backbone (Rotom-Wash and Lando-T) Both check physical attackers very well.

On most teams like this I'd suggest pursuit over SD on bisharp to trap the things that lop hates like slowbro and other bulky psychics, but I don't think that's all that necessary on this team. SD bisharp does make sense on a team like this because you don't really have one definitive win con, and bisharp can provide that for you.

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, this could be a cool team but I have some suggestions to improve it.

First of all you should run the spread on Amoonguss which Aetherian gave you. You can read what all the EVs do on the smogon Dex.
Sludge Bomb is not necessarily needed as Clear Smog is sufficient to get the job done to remove boosts from Calm Mind Clef (which likes to switch into Lopunmy really often, and is a threat to the team after +1) or Nasty Plot Thundurus for example. Most of the time you don't want to damage stuff with Amoonguss, the way it should be played is getting a sleep off on the opponent early in the game to give them a disadvantage and after that try to wall waters like Keldeo. By letting them switch into Stealth Rock for example accumulates Hazard damage and you'll wear them down bit by bit. Amoonguss's main role is dealing with Water mons like Keldeo, Manaphy (depending on set), then Grass types like Serperoir, Tangrowth or Breloom.

You run a standard Lando-T set which checks a ton of mons, so Amoong+Lando will put in a lot of work in many ladder matches around 1500.

To make your team win beyond that midway point on the ladder I need to do a few edits, so we start with:

Lop/Mag/Bish/Starmie/Lando/Amoong

and out of these we keep

Lop/?/?/?/Lando/Amoong

while keeping Bisharp or another dark type in mind and with a solid defensive core made up of Lando-T and Amoongus, while Lopunny serves as the sweeper.

Magnezone is usually played if you want to trap Scizor if you play Diancie for example. You don't need that kind of support on your team, so to help with team synergy I'll add mons that help Lopunny sweep.
With that said, I recommend replacing Magnezone with Heatran. Since you already have Rocks on Lando, you can be a bit creative here and lure stuff. Power Herb Solar Beam is an example, with which you can hit the sturdiest M-Lop walls like Slowbro. Heatran also takes on Latis better due to better overall bulk and if you run Taunt on it, Clef can't set up. It deals with Scizor, Ferro, Skarmory and so on really well too.

Then the team looks like this:
Lop/?/?/Heatran/Lando/Amoong

looks really good at this point, Lando/Tran/Amoong wall a lot of mons you will face in your part of the ladder.

The next change is Tail Glow Manaphy> Starmie. A set with Energy Ball, Ice Beam and Scald will fulfill the role of the specially attacking breaker, to break walls like Slowbro, Clefable, Hippowdon for example, which all wall Lopunny. If you put them in a.position in which they have to switch out, you can either just click scald to fish for burns and weakening their team that way or click TG to start breaking their teams.
You lose the spinner, but you are not that weak to Stealth Rock. If you really want hazard removal, you can try Defog Lati over Amoonguss. You lose a bit of speed, but breaking Lopounny checks and making it win has priority at the moment, since Lopunny is pretty fast already. Max Speed Manaphy with Ice Beam/Scald/Energy Ball/Tail Glow breaks Lopunny checks like Slowbro, Tangrowth, Amoonguss too.

Still one mon to go.

Lop/?/Manaphy/Heatran/Lando/Amoong

Looking at it, Manaphy appreciates Pursuit support, to trap Latis for example, otherwise they can always go into Lati on Manaphy with little drawback and almost ohko with Draco or damage Heatran for around 35%.

From here on you have multiple ways to go and I encourage you to try out a few mons.
You can add Bisharp back to the team for example, try a few sets, as Dark types can break bulky Psychic mons which are fighting resists. Lum Berry or Black Glasses Pursuit is an option for example.
1) Lop/Bisharp/Manaphy/Heatran/Lando/Amoong

Band Tyranitar is also possibilty as its damage output is insane and it will wear down Lopunny checks only after a few switchins. So the strategy would be to.break with band Ttar and Manphy, and in the end clean with Lopunny.

2) Lop/BandTtar/Manaphy/Heatran/Lando/Amoong

The team is a bit slow for Oras standards, so as a last move on Amoonguss, Stun Spore is definitely an option as it paralyes incoming Pokemon after you spored for example.

You can also try

3) Lop/BandTtar/Manaphy/RocksHeatran/ScarfLando/Amoonguss

As a more offensive version, this one has a lot more power and speed, but at the cost of bulk, so you'll be naturally weaker to physical attackers for example.

That's all I have for now. If you have questions, you can ask here and we can discuss more. Good luck with the team !

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)