Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's quite balanced, if defence focus on the doors, then the aerial heros have an easy attack. It's a Pharah-friendly map.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
no clue why ranked isnt using season 1 mmr for matchmaking. after a full day of ranked i felt like i was playing quickplay, getting teamates from rank 40 to rank 70 on my teams.

just a little frustrated that season 1 rank doesnt seem to matter at all since everyone got placed around the same rating, so now i have to wait until people play and fall into proper ranks or grind out through the horrible mess of very unbalanced games

after watching half of my team juggle the lucio switch while spawn doors are opening on ilios and then starting the immediate next round with a healing aura im actually kind of depressed from it. it basically takes dozens of extra games to recover from a single unlucky placement match

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hate it when Lucios don't speed boost at the beginning of koth... like u KNOW ur gonna lose the 1st point cuz other team probably has lucio speed boost and will be there before u would be .-.

then you get the retard who says "no healing is more important/i don't wanna waste it" man THE COOLDOWN IS FINISHED BY THE TIME WE'RE THERE ANYWAY

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Uh, I know this might not be the most appropriate place to do this, and I know that there are plenty of other websites for this, but I feel like I can trust most people on smogon, and I feel from just reading this thread that most of you take this game pretty seriously.

I'm looking for team mates to do competitive matches with. I have a IRL buddy who's a very good DPS player, and I myself generally Flex on tank or support. We're looking for team mates who want to communicate and fight as a team, as we think it makes the game so much more fun and intense. What I'm hoping for is to find 2 DPS, 2 Tanks, 2 Support, as it's generally the standard line up.

Here's a link to our Overbuff stats. Take these with a bit of salt, as stats I believe aren't everything. Feel free to msg me on here if you're interested, I'd love to hear from any of you.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/MythicalMark-2186
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Kialra-2446

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh poop I had the thread on watch but it didn't notify me cos probably I missed out on checking one post Z_Z

Anyway, yay for golden gun. And wooo Mercy buffs. Zen/Genji nerfs don't mean much tbh. All it did was make them slightly less annoying and in no way any less viable. Thankfully they finally nerfed Lucio's speed amp. That thing was pretty stupid, though it does feel very sluggish now lols.

I like waiting out at least a week when the season starts so that hopefully there's less problem of leavers etc during placement :0! But yea seems like most people will place lower and then have to grind back up to where they were in season 1.

I don't quite agree with having the top rank bracket permanently with you from the start. Placements are well, placements. There should be a limit on like the minimum number of games required before fixing the maximum bracket, or something like that. It'll end up with people who are getting placed above where they should be (some people actually mentioned that). It would probably confuse people as to why is this diamond player playing with gold people when their MMR dropped to gold after placements etc.

Also omg they moved the gold weapon CP to Grand Masters ;O; that means I actually have to play more games now .-.

Oh and the API for stats kinda went bonkers or something. Or maybe it's because Season 2 ranking are into play now. They did remove win percentage from the API though.

i think the new map will be considered balanced when everyone gets used to it, i played the brawl exclusively for 2 days to learn the map
the choke point reminds me of hanamura's choke point, no?
There's a key difference between the choke and Hanamura A choke and that's that it's extremely easy for all defending characters to get nearby high ground above the choke and attacking characters have to go uphill or be very far away to get on the same level, which makes it far more oppressive to push through.

I find that the assault part is easy for a coordinated attack even though being stupid in theory for defenders (highly uphill, very compact and squished buildings, defenders have a much shorter walk to the point) because this game is very pro-attack at the moment. Payload part is very long and decided at the chokepoint and then again at the rather repetitive and basically unflankable Numbani/King's Rowesque section in the castle. I love payload and I even enjoy the hot mess that is Numbani but I can't find it in me to enjoy Eichenwalde.

That being said, once you get through the choke, pushing it to the castle is pretty ez in my exp.

I've been playing a fair bit since I'm sick as a dog, picked up Mei this patch because she's quite fun now on defense assault (and even more fun than she already was on koth) and I learned I was playing her wrong (yes I was w+m1ing and no I was not alt-firing fml). It's nice not to feel like I'm sabotaging my team by picking her. She actually feels like a legit area denial / CC champ in some map sections and on some points now (her ult diameter covers Lijiang's point properly now so she's absolutely disgusting on it, I love her on Anubis B and some defending segments of Watchpoint: Gibraltar for example, and there's that open wide spot on Dorado where she shines). Placing right now is absolute hell, matchmaking is shit in and out of competitive, and I feel like I prolly should wait another week or two for everyone to grind it out a bit to finish my placements, but I play in a six squad and we're all fairly eager to get back to the slaughterhouse.

Also rem that sucks :( Diamond to gold and back is a climb.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh I forgot about the new map. The first point has a really terrible choke imo. Worse than Hanamura since you don't even have that small left window to use or rush in and hide indoors/behind obstacle like Hanamura/Hollywood/King's Row. It's really crammed to push and past that choke you're still pretty open to the defense attacks. Haven't played it too much so it's still just early opinions. The second point door should really not close. It's worse than Gibraltar's now first point where there's only 2 doors instead of 4, though the healthpacks do kinda help offense go in.

This map probably has the highest verticality of all ? I've had a lot of guilty fun playing Tracer. There's just so many nooks and crannies you can hide in and triple blink into a Pulse Bomb lol. (I'm still saying Pulse Bomb is the dumbest ult). Quite a lot of places to hide as Mercy too so yea.

Eichenwalde is very defensive sided right now imo. Heavily favors characters like Hanzo, Widow, and Pharah who can take advantage of the high points on the map.
Also that first chokepoint is OP, at least with Hanamura/Volkskaya you could sneak a genji or something through that window.

-Also worth noting that the devs said that most newly released maps are defensivley sided, so patches will probably balance the scales a bit.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ShootingStarmie you EU?

I ELO suicide from almost 2600 to 2100 and here I felt diamond material... It's funny that I've half my Zen played time on fire yet I lost more than I won lol.

Eichen is amazing, to attack run a Pharah. They go to her, you open up the choke and the fight is soon in the payload.

Oh I forgot about the new map. The first point has a really terrible choke imo. Worse than Hanamura since you don't even have that small left window to use or rush in and hide indoors/behind obstacle like Hanamura/Hollywood/King's Row. It's really crammed to push and past that choke you're still pretty open to the defense attacks. Haven't played it too much so it's still just early opinions. The second point door should really not close. It's worse than Gibraltar's now first point where there's only 2 doors instead of 4, though the healthpacks do kinda help offense go in.

This map probably has the highest verticality of all ? I've had a lot of guilty fun playing Tracer. There's just so many nooks and crannies you can hide in and triple blink into a Pulse Bomb lol. (I'm still saying Pulse Bomb is the dumbest ult). Quite a lot of places to hide as Mercy too so yea.
Yep. On top of the fact that you're less likely to be bombarded by most of the team from above on Hanamura A's choke than Eichenwalde's, the choke unfolds into narrow and uphill territory.

On Hanamura, once you're through, you're through, and the space is open enough that there are routes are around the high ground. The point has many entrances and is on a relatively even level wrt. the defending team. The flank routes in Hanamura are sparing but meaningful; in Eichenwalde they tend to be short and terminate nowhere useful, despite being plentiful.

You raise a good point that the door closing is really, really obnoxious too. It's a checkmark and an important defending point, people gonna die there. The castle has less room for manoeuvring towards the end than King's Row and Numbani, really.

(Being downhill matters because it's a lot harder to aim up on some characters and more importantly because of perspective and foreshortening: characters that are above you are rendered smaller and thus harder to headshot, whereas they have a nice view on you from above.)

Pharah is great for taking point A and, oddly, inside the castle, but I see her struggle a lot in the first payload part because she's so easily taken down if she tries to leave the ground by any properly positioned defenders.

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
Oh btw for Pharah attempting to contest the tower, I'm pretty sure a single jet jump isn't enough to reach the top ? It has to be combined with either a normal rocket or a concussion grenade, though I prefer taking the 40 damage from rocket so that I have an escape option left. Just basically never hover that area. Jump quickly and land and get kills. Hovering makes you a super easy target. Or use the right stairs and jump up from there, though that stairs is usually quite guarded?

And Tracer can double blink from one end of the valley to the other :( it's so guilty killing people like that.

another notable thing about pharah on eichenwalde is that she's one of the few characters that can circumvent the first major chokepoint outside of the attackers' initial spawn!

not sure if we'll see this route constantly, but it could certainly be a viable option used sparingly, like a surprise damage boosted barrage or dragonblade from behind after building some ult up at the choke

On thing you can do on that map that's pretty easy is just fly over the center buildings with D.Va... If my team has doubles support then I'll pick her and do it to push the defense back easy o3o

Like literally if you just walk out of the main spawn doors, when you reach the buildings almost directly in front of you you can fly over them, and then you can walk around the left side to avoid being seen as much as possible. Even if you do get hit (which I personally haven't the times I've done it because yay platinum tunnel vision!) you've at least forced the defense back, and it's not as risky as the other flank in the video (although the video flank is easier as Pharah, so if you and your partner go Pharamercy you could easily do some serious damage behind enemy lines :])

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Easily the best ranked match I've had in a loooong time, possibly ever lmao. I was playing super well and had a full team that used comms, adjusted picks depending on what we need, and worked well together in general. Other team was decent too. I think it's also the first time I get more than 4 points on a 2cp map.

Was on temple of anubis. Used reaper mccree and mostly genji :D

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
I swear I want to punch in the face every platinum Torbjörn user. There are some EVEN IN ATTACK. THROWING our games. Not once or twice, no, several times now. Fuck them.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm a console scrub but does anyone play on Xbox? I'd like a teammate as I'm a pretty okay Soldier but never get a support (or get attack torb and symm)

I'm a console scrub but does anyone play on Xbox? I'd like a teammate as I'm a pretty okay Soldier but never get a support (or get attack torb and symm)
I'm on Xbox, Ghostwheel Zeta. I often queue with a couple of experienced guys and we love adding new people

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think Eichenwalde is pretty fucking terrible in general. The first choke point is ridiculously easy to defend in comp since most teams aren't too coordinated. Obviously in higher level of player it's a lot easier to cap the first hill but in regular comp Pharmacy is good on offence yeah, but if the defensive team runs a Reign, Zarya, Healer you're just feeding Zarya energy and she's melting the rest of your team when they can't get past the Reign on the choke. The map is incredibly unbalanced to the defensive side simply just because you end up with potatoes as teammates. I've got the map maybe 4 times this season, a couple times against 3 or 4 stacks and they still aren't finishing the map because of how easy it is to play defence. After you manage to scrape the first hill and are now moving the payload to a place where an even semi coordinated defence can hold the high point and just drop down and wipe you when they feel ready too. On offence you pretty much need to use a Winston and a high mobility DPS like Pharah or Genji just make sure they can't sit up there forever and dictate the pace of the game. In general I think it's easily the worst map in the game and wish it wasn't included in the lineup, I think I would find myself using my first ban on it in real competitive play too, just not a map worth playing on there are plenty of better maps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)