Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just noticed something, during the Z-Moves part the Captains were making the motions to use their type specialty's Z-Move. This makes me wonder:

1. Can other trainers use Z-Moves? If so will it only be certain boss characters like they did with Mega Evolution?
2. Are you maybe unable to use certain Z-Moves until you're taught the dance? This maybe could mean a Captain for all 18 types, though then what about special Z-Moves?

And I can already foresee the dozens of "sexy tanned Oak's cousin" images being drawn now... and some of them are probably also with Kukui. BTW Oak's cousin's name is Nariya, though this might be changes do who knows.

Reactions: Mq
"The Ride Pokemon all have names for what they do. The ones shown are Lapras Swim, Sharpedo Jet, and Charizard Flight.
This makes me think that we're definitely not having HMs this gen, which I don't mind. Guess we don't know for sure, but having the pokemon's specific function be in their names makes me think that's the case.
And of course really tan Oak. He says he's researching Regional Forms.
Have we learned what professor Kukui studies? If not, this makes me wonder what he will. They could've very easily had Kukui research regional forms but they've already got the gen 1 pandering ball rolling, so...
Fat guy in the starting town who talks about how amazing science is confirmed.
This is all I could ask for out of this gen.
'Invitation to Eternal Dark Night'
This is so early 2000s emo band lol

I just noticed something, during the Z-Moves part the Captains were making the motions to use their type specialty's Z-Move. This makes me wonder:

1. Can other trainers use Z-Moves? If so will it only be certain boss characters like they did with Mega Evolution?
2. Are you maybe unable to use certain Z-Moves until you're taught the dance? This maybe could mean a Captain for all 18 types, though then what about special Z-Moves?
Yeah, I don't think random trainers are gonna use z-moves. It'll probably be limited to bosses. About the second point, if this happens, it will probably ensure that the game never becomes too easy. They don't wanna give you all your nukes right away lol. I can see move tutors being a thing for specific z-moves.

Serebii Update: Next batch of Sun and Moon information to come on September 14th at 22:00 JST

It never ends.
Damn, they might as well release the whole game at this point. I guess it keeps this thread on topic, but at this point, even I want an element of surprise, and I initially didn't mind all the info. I kinda hope nothing more about ultra beasts or the Aether Foundation gets revealed. I want those things to be secrets for the game. We're very likely gonna get new pokemon and/or Alolan forms though, with maybe something about z-moves.

Last edited:
I know some people have been wondering how Solgaleo and Lunala will fit into the story, and I think the last CGI scene in the latest trailer might of given us a clue. At first, I thought Solgaleo and Lunala were heading towards each other to battle (I wasn't really paying attention to the scenes), but as the last CGI scene shows, they are jumping into a portal together. Now this portal looks a whole lot like the portal UB-01 is coming out of:

So my theory? At some point in the game, we'll need to call upon/awaken Solgaleo or Lunala to help us fight the Ultra Beasts and MAYBE take us to the world where they come from since they're heading into the portal. So, in an interesting twist, instead of the evil team using the box art legendaries for their goal, we use them instead!

You know, I just realized something. Something really simple and obvious we completely forgot during the initial hype of the recent trailer.

Right here...we never figured out what was in Lillie's bag. We thought it was a zygarde core at first, but now I'm positive it's UB in a smaller compact form.

Small things but we can ride Mudsdale as well as Tauros. The animation for fishing is pretty neat as well. In terms of diversity Alola is off the charts. Not only are there different islands, but the architecture, boats, landscapes of each one seems to be unique. The transition from day to night (if that is what that orange sky represents) is beautiful.

Also, It seems like there is a center for battle royales (as far as I can tell) and we get to see one of the habitats built to shelter Pokemon by the Aether Foundation. This also seems like the place where UB-01 emerges from the portal. And so the plot thickens...

I know some people have been wondering how Solgaleo and Lunala will fit into the story, and I think the last CGI scene in the latest trailer might of given us a clue. At first, I thought Solgaleo and Lunala were heading towards each other to battle (I wasn't really paying attention to the scenes), but as the last CGI scene shows, they are jumping into a portal together. Now this portal looks a whole lot like the portal UB-01 is coming out of:

So my theory? At some point in the game, we'll need to call upon/awaken Solgaleo or Lunala to help us fight the Ultra Beasts and MAYBE take us to the world where they come from since they're heading into the portal. So, in an interesting twist, instead of the evil team using the box art legendaries for their goal, we use them instead!
I actually really like this idea. I was wondering what role Solgaleo and Lunala would have in this game, and this makes sense. So maybe the ultra beasts are threatening the world somehow and only the box legendaries can stop it?

You know, I just realized something. Something really simple and obvious we completely forgot during the initial hype of the recent trailer.

Right here...we never figured out what was in Lillie's bag. We thought it was a zygarde core at first, but now I'm positive it's UB in a smaller compact form.
I think a few people have mentioned it. Was it ever specifically stated that the thing she kept in her bag was a pokemon? If not, then an ultra beast could be very likely.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Have we learned what professor Kukui studies? If not, this makes me wonder what he will. They could've very easily had Kukui research regional forms but they've already got the gen 1 pandering ball rolling, so...
Kukui studies Pokemon Moves, so he's the go to guy for Z-Moves. Remember the funny little trivia that he'll let Pokemon attack him in order to study the move first hand. "Okay Lapras, use Sheer Cold on me. Huh? What's wrong? Oh I'll be fine. At least put on a coat? What do you think this white cloth I'm wearing over my bare chest is?". This joke is even funnier for moves like Night Slash or Hyper Beam, or as they're known in Japan "Crossroad Killing" and "Destruction Beam".

Also... I think this finally confirms Alolan forms are Gen I only. It makes perfect sense that to have the guy explains Alolan Forms BE a human version of it, and the human version of it is even a Gen I character (and of course it looks like he's living in the Ecruteak City looking city)! And if I have to take a guess of what his name might be changed to in the English version, hmm, there's a genus of trees in Hawaii called "Casuarina" which grow in Hawaii and are nicknamed various forms of "oak" (though they aren't related to Oak Trees). Still, I would bet a translated name for him would be taken from that genus of trees. And if anyone's wondering, he would be Gary's Grand Uncle First Cousin Twice Removed.

Last edited:
The fighting Z move used by Bewear seemed to be different to the one a Lucario used in another trailer. Bewear's was one big punch while Lucario IIRC was multiple punches. I'll try to make a comparison pic when I get back home.

Does this mean one of these are gonna get an exclusive Z move? Lucario's might've been a new animation for close combat tho.

lucario.PNG
bewar z move.PNG

Bad pics but lucario's z-move has it standing still and sending out multiple energy fists while bewear's z-move has it charge and throw one huge punch. Could this also mean there are physical AND special z-moves?

Last edited:
The fighting Z move used by Bewear seemed to be different to the one a Lucario used in another trailer. Bewear's seemed to be one big punch while Lucario IIRC was multiple punches. I'll try to make a comparison pic when I get back home.

Does this mean one of these are gonna get an exclusive Z move? Lucario's might've been a new animation for close combat tho.
Lucario move could've been special. I know they're multiple fists, but I found pretty strange the fact the it remains still while doing the move... So they could be aura-fists instead of physical punches.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Also shows non-Alolan Pikachu/Cubone/Exeggcute evolving into Alolan forms. Potentially a lot of new information. Just needs someone that read Japanese, as well as someone with good eyes to spot stuff.
This has all been in previous trailers, especially in the Japanese ones. None of this information is new. The only Alolan forme we are missing so far is Persian, who is heavily implied because Alolan Rattata turns into Alolan Raticate.

EDIT: I mean about the evolutions. I think there is content in the video which is new, mostly environment shots/other non alolan Pokemon. And Cousin Oak.

On a slightly more serious note... I think Rowan would have been a better pick, as he's the one that is most interested in why Pokemon evolve. Hopefully he'll get at least a mention, considering they have worked together at some point in the past.
Their research definitely does coincide, but do the events of Sinnoh happen in "this" timeline. You're assuming events unfold relatively similarly outside of just Hoenn. I can understand with how similar ORAS was to RS, the timelines can be seen as convergent, and Rowan would certainly be interested in both Mega Evolutions and Alolan formes which evolved due to their habitats. However, Alolan Oak is probably researching the Kanto specific evolutions.

Hey guys, I'm curious about this screenshot. This is some building with a Machamp in front of it and a Machamp figure to the left; can you guys discern what the figure on the right is? Or is it something new?
View attachment 69071
I think it's already been answered, but I'm pretty sure that's my big boy Hariyama.

Well, normal Hypno and Starmie confirmed. It's a shame, I was really hoping for Alolan Hypno. It needs a boost badly.
Hypno was confirmed in the news from the 6th too in the Japanese trailer. We also definitely see a Phantump fighting with Marowak too.

Also can I just say how cool the freaking Wailord boat being dragged by another boat with HUNTAIL PONTOONS IS.

EDIT: IT MIGHT BE TWO BOATS BUT ITS STILL AWESOME.

THIS AWESOME. The locales in this game look absolutely 100% stunning and I cannot wait to explore them properly!

Looks like Lurantis and School!Wishiwashi are Totem Pokémon, since they appear in the same little segment as Totem Gumshoos. They even have their own unique intro animations.

This whole trailer is pretty interesting. Why don't we ever get the interesting trailers and instead are stuck with the same boring format of the trailer again and again?

Either way, Alolan Professor Oak eh? I just love the irony of his own research is and I will proceed to imagine that all the Oaks become Pokemon Professors in the end just like all the Joys become Nurses and all the Jennys become Police Officers.

Also, if I may make a stupid theory: Lillie is actually dead long ago. She is UB-01. The leader of Aether, Lusamine, was Lillie's sister who was stricken with extreme heartache when she died and worked to revive her. She did but she became...something else too with the ability to take on both a human shape AND a monster shape due to how she wasn't exactly human.

Btw, why the heck are they releasing TRAILERs for the game so early. They've been making TV commercials since June in Japan and that doesn't make any sense. Is it just to get us Americans extremely hyped? Well, I guess it's working!

This month has been nuts for updates. Sept 1 for Snorlax, Sept 6 for Type: Null and friends, this trailer, Rockruff stuff for Corocoro which is going to leak in a few days, then the Sept 14th update (which may or may not cover the same thing). If they're pushing out more info as we get close and closer to the release date, October is going to be more nuts. What's going to be left of the game? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)