Steven Universe (Spoilers, probably)

So Steven Universe is a show that has been following in Adventure Time's footsteps in terms of being a good kid/family show (and has a writer who used to work on AT). The story follows Steven, a young boy who is learning the ways of the Crystal Gems (from right to left, Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst), with adventures that range from mundane day-to-day goings on of Beach City to fighting giant gem monsters and everything in between. The mundane-ish episodes are rarely that as well; the character development of all the minor characters are on point, and we often get some funny/emotional moments from the character interaction that comes with living in a small town.

Anyway, this show's great. And with 11 minutes an episode, it makes for a great binge watch if it's your first time watching. However, it does start out a little slow and the animation gets better in later season 1.

ps: steven best gem, others cant compare

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for anyone that has watched the show and wants to cry, or hasn't and wants to get jazzed, watch this:

(note it may contain spoilers)

i dig this show, the characters are extremely complex, it has great music, and can make me ugly cry like no other

Steven Universe has high potential as an animated series. We have an interesting cast of core characters, with the Gems and Steven being the main focus so far. Rebecca Sugar's art really stands out in its excellence and is one of the best I've seen, rivaling anything else thus far that Cartoon Network has released. It's also really nice to see more female-oriented animation that isn't always centered around "girly" themes.

I wouldn't say this is what I would call a "laugh-out-loud" cartoon, but the humor delivers through visual gags and dialogue that are definitely worth a crack or two. I think this is good because I think a lot of shows nowadays try too hard to be funny, but fail miserably. The main purpose of this show seems to be more centered around adventure than anything else, so it seems somewhat refreshing.

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
So, what are you guys' opinions on the show currently? I think late Season 2 and the new Season 3 episodes have got to be some of the best the show has produced (and not because I'm a huge Peridot fan, xD)

Reactions: nv
Can I bump this thread? I'm surprised it doesn't have more posts. Two new episodes aired today (Beta and Earthlings) and tbh I just really want to talk about them lol. The "Summer of Steven" is almost over, and by extension, season 3. Two more seasons have been confirmed. Admittedly I'm kinda new to this show, so I haven't seen every episode, but I've been keeping up with season 3 as best as I can, and these two episodes that came out today have got me excited for the future of Steven Universe. I wanna talk about them. Spoilers ahead.

So I actually don't have too much to say about Beta. The episode basically exists to set up Earthlings. Though we do learn some information on the beta kindergarten. It was made to pump out soldiers quickly during the rebellion. Jasper was created in this kindergarten, and she's the only one (that we've seen) that actually came out perfect. We also learn that Jasper has been keeping her "army" of corrupted gems here. We also see what Lapis and Peridot have been up to, which is nice.

And then there's Earthlings. Holy shit, Earthlings. I have so many feelings. So I'm not gonna recap the entire episode but AHHHH it's so great. So we get to Jasper again, which is great because I'm love with her. Amethyst tries to take her on by herself, but can't. Amethyst gets upset, but then Steven comes and gives her a pep talk about how they're alike and have each other. They hug, and then...

FUCKING SMOKEY (SMOKY? IDK) QUARTZ. STEVEN AND AMETHYST FUSION. THEY'RE SO PRECIOUS LIKE SERIOUSLY I LOVED EVERY SECOND THEY WERE ONSCREEN. I didn't expect Steven's first fusion with a gem to be with Amethyst, but I'm so happy with the way it was done. It almost makes you think that it's out of the question that he would have fused with any other gem first. So of course Jasper wants someone to use with, and actually attempts to fuse with a corrupted gem. It doesn't last long, as Smokey Quartz is able to separate them quickly. However, Jasper begins corrupting as a side affect. Many people saw this coming, including me. Steven tries to help, but Jasper refuses, and actually gets a surprisingly sad monologue about why she hates Rose for what she did to her colony, planet, and diamond. Not Yellow Diamond. Pink Diamond. So Rose did something (maybe shattered?) Pink Diamond, and Jasper is upset. She corrupts fully, and Peridot FUCKING PIERCES HER WITH A METAL BAR LIKE DAMN PERI, Jasper gets poofed, and Amethyst bubbles her, while saying "come here, sis." You guys. This episode fucked with me. We got a cool new fusion and CORRUPTED JASPER. So, what does this mean for Jasper? Well, I doubt the show is gonna get rid of her. In fact, this may actually be the setup to her redemption arc. I had doubts about whether or not she'd get one, but I think it might be possible now.

Have any of you seen the episodes? What do you guys think? I didn't care too much for Beta, but I absolutely loved Earthlings. I really want to discuss this stuff with someone.

Last edited:

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Can I bump this thread? I'm surprised it doesn't have more posts. Two new episodes aired today (Beta and Earthlings) and tbh I just really want to talk about them lol. The "Summer of Steven" is almost over, and by extension, season 3. Two more seasons have been confirmed. Admittedly I'm kinda new to this show, so I haven't seen every episode, but I've been keeping up with season 3 as best as I can, and these two episodes that came out today have got me excited for the future of Steven Universe. I wanna talk about them. Spoilers ahead.

So I actually don't have too much to say about Beta. The episode basically exists to set up Earthlings. Though we do learn some information on the beta kindergarten. It was made to pump out soldiers quickly during the rebellion. Jasper was created in this kindergarten, and she's the only one (that we've seen) that actually came out perfect. We also learn that Jasper has been keeping her "army" of corrupted gems here. We also see what Lapis and Peridot have been up to, which is nice.

And then there's Earthlings. Holy shit, Earthlings. I have so many feelings. So I'm not gonna recap the entire episode but AHHHH it's so great. So we get to Jasper again, which is great because I'm love with her. Amethyst tries to take her on by herself, but can't. Amethyst gets upset, but then Steven comes and gives her a pep talk about how they're alike and have each other. They hug, and then...

FUCKING SMOKEY (SMOKY? IDK) QUARTZ. STEVEN AND AMETHYST FUSION. THEY'RE SO PRECIOUS LIKE SERIOUSLY I LOVED EVERY SECOND THEY WERE ONSCREEN. I didn't expect Steven's first fusion with a gem to be with Amethyst, but I'm so happy with the way it was done. It almost makes you think that it's out of the question that he would have fused with any other gem first. So of course Jasper wants someone to use with, and actually attempts to fuse with a corrupted gem. It doesn't last long, as Smokey Quartz is able to separate them quickly. However, Jasper begins corrupting as a side affect. Many people saw this coming, including me. Steven tries to help, but Jasper refuses, and actually gets a surprisingly sad monologue about why she hates Rose for what she did to her colony, planet, and diamond. Not Yellow Diamond. Pink Diamond. So Rose did something (maybe shattered?) Pink Diamond, and Jasper is upset. She corrupts fully, and Peridot FUCKING PIERCES HER WITH A METAL BAR LIKE DAMN PERI, Jasper gets poofed, and Amethyst bubbles her, while saying "come here, sis." You guys. This episode fucked with me. We got a cool new fusion and CORRUPTED JASPER. So, what does this mean for Jasper? Well, I doubt the show is gonna get rid of her. In fact, this may actually be the setup to her redemption arc. I had doubts about whether or not she'd get one, but I think it might be possible now.

Have any of you seen the episodes? What do you guys think? I didn't care too much for Beta, but I absolutely loved Earthlings. I really want to discuss this stuff with someone.
After a long af hiatus, the "Summer of Steven" has gotten me addicted to this show once again. I've been watching SU since Jailbreak aired and it has been an amazing ride. I implore you to watch the episodes you have missed as every episode has something special in it.

Earthlings is probably my favourite episode of season 3. Jasper will most certainly get a redemption arc, many signs point towards it and Rebecca Sugar confirmed she suffers from self hatred in a recent interview - love is a big theme of the show. Lapis and Peri both started out as antagonists and are now redeemed characters. Other highlight for season 3 for me was "Mr Greg".

As for season 4, my favourite so far is Mindful Education. That episode was AMAZING. I really hope season 4 kicks up the plot again soon. Filler is ok but I think SU should have less.

Another thing I've loved about SU is the songs, the songs are amazing.

So yeah, this thread needs to be revived tbh.

After a long af hiatus, the "Summer of Steven" has gotten me addicted to this show once again. I've been watching SU since Jailbreak aired and it has been an amazing ride. I implore you to watch the episodes you have missed as every episode has something special in it.
Jailbreak was actually the first episode I watched. I saw "Stronger Than You" on YouTube and decided to give the show a shot. I've definitely been trying to watch every episode.
Earthlings is probably my favourite episode of season 3. Jasper will most certainly get a redemption arc, many signs point towards it and Rebecca Sugar confirmed she suffers from self hatred in a recent interview - love is a big theme of the show. Lapis and Peri both started out as antagonists and are now redeemed characters. Other highlight for season 3 for me was "Mr Greg".

As for season 4, my favourite so far is Mindful Education. That episode was AMAZING. I really hope season 4 kicks up the plot again soon. Filler is ok but I think SU should have less.
I hope we see more of Jasper in season 4 itself, liker her corrupted form. I don't want her to remained bubbled for an entire season. I want to see how Steven interacts with her then. I think this will be an important step in her character arc. This is all speculation but I feel like the first corrupted gem that will get healed will probably be her, if not Centipeedle. Also, can I get a link to the interview?

Mr. Greg was great. The character development is phenomenal and "It's Over, Isn't It?" as well as "Both of You" are some of the best songs this series has to offer. Mindful Education was also a fantastic episode. As someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, I think the tactic Garnet used to help Stevonnie sort out their thoughts is very useful, and a real part of a therapy. My psychiatrist did a similar thing with me.

I assume that by filler, you're speaking of Future Boy Zoltron specifically. I remember Rebecca saying that technically, none of the episodes are filler, because even if they don't advance the plot, they teach some sort of lesson. So yeah, I don't mind SU having filler. I also like these characters enough to just see them doing things outside of the plot. I haven't seen FBZ yet, so idk what goes on in that.

FBZ could also exist as a change of tone from the heaviness of the last episode. TV Tropes like to call this the "Breather Episode."

Reactions: Ace
Jailbreak is a helluva episode to start the series on.

This is probably my favorite cartoon of all time (though Gravity Falls is a close second). I like this show in particular because of its diversity, inclusion, and representation. When I was growing up, LGBTQ topics were taboo even for prominent newstations (to say nothing of children's cartoons), so it's been a huge breath of fresh air for me to see these themes explored in a non-taboo/non-threatening context.

As far as being a fan, Earthlings slayed me. Mr. Greg gave me all the feels (poor Pearl). Mindful Education is exquisite. I can't wait to see what happens next!

#YellowDiamondIsComing

This is hilarious if you have some time to spare:

Michaela Dietz/Amethyst is lifegoals tbh.

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
Jailbreak was actually the first episode I watched. I saw "Stronger Than You" on YouTube and decided to give the show a shot. I've definitely been trying to watch every episode.

I hope we see more of Jasper in season 4 itself, liker her corrupted form. I don't want her to remained bubbled for an entire season. I want to see how Steven interacts with her then. I think this will be an important step in her character arc. This is all speculation but I feel like the first corrupted gem that will get healed will probably be her, if not Centipeedle. Also, can I get a link to the interview?

Mr. Greg was great. The character development is phenomenal and "It's Over, Isn't It?" as well as "Both of You" are some of the best songs this series has to offer. Mindful Education was also a fantastic episode. As someone who suffers from depression and anxiety, I think the tactic Garnet used to help Stevonnie sort out their thoughts is very useful, and a real part of a therapy. My psychiatrist did a similar thing with me.

I assume that by filler, you're speaking of Future Boy Zoltron specifically. I remember Rebecca saying that technically, none of the episodes are filler, because even if they don't advance the plot, they teach some sort of lesson. So yeah, I don't mind SU having filler. I also like these characters enough to just see them doing things outside of the plot. I haven't seen FBZ yet, so idk what goes on in that.

FBZ could also exist as a change of tone from the heaviness of the last episode. TV Tropes like to call this the "Breather Episode."
The same happened to me, I got spoiled on some parts of Jailbreak and some fusions from earlier episodes but it was those spoilers that got me into the show, so I just straight binged on it and later found it super easy to relate with.

http://www.thewrap.com/steven-universe-creator-rebecca-sugar-talks-lgbt-themes-teases-season-3/

^That is the interview. Rebecca Sugar talks about how she would like to cover self love next in season 4 and how you do not need a relationship to be happy. In the next paragraph she says Jasper has deep hatred for herself unlike Lapis and Peri and believes she doesn't deserve any help. We already know she's desperate for a "relationship" too, "Nobody I ever fuse with wants to stay....". This has to mean she will get a redemption arc in season 4 imo, she definitely has been doing some cruel stuff but they can't not help her.

And yup, by filler I had meant FBZ, not much went on in that episode compared to the other more recent episodes but you're right about it being a change of tone compared to the heavy eps we've had recently.

pookie and I watched the Q&A he linked together and it was super fun, y'all should watch it too imo.

http://www.thewrap.com/steven-universe-creator-rebecca-sugar-talks-lgbt-themes-teases-season-3/

^That is the interview. Rebecca Sugar talks about how she would like to cover self love next in season 4 and how you do not need a relationship to be happy. In the next paragraph she says Jasper has deep hatred for herself unlike Lapis and Peri and believes she doesn't deserve any help. We already know she's desperate for a "relationship" too, "Nobody I ever fuse with wants to stay....". This has to mean she will get a redemption arc in season 4 imo, she definitely has been doing some cruel stuff but they can't not help her.

And yup, by filler I had meant FBZ, not much went on in that episode compared to the other more recent episodes but you're right about it being a change of tone compared to the heavy eps we've had recently.

pookie and I watched the Q&A he linked together and it was super fun, y'all should watch it too imo.
What an amazing interview. I'm really glad this series tackles the issues it does, and I'm very excited to see it tackle self-love. It always bothers me when I see people practically saying or implying that they need to be in a relationship to be happy (I see this a lot on Facebook). Especially since I'm someone who isn't really interested in relationships and doesn't relate to those people. Now I really can't wait to see more of Jasper.

I also really appreciate Rebecca's insights on Garnet, and how The Answer was made to resemble a fairy tale. I knew that dance scene from "Something Entirely New" reminded me of Sleeping Beauty, and I was right! Also, knowing that Greg will have a bigger role in season 4 makes me happy, I love Greg.

Ace

ᴅ ᴇ ᴀ ᴅ
Likewise. She is definitely one of my favourite characters, haven't got a definitive favourite since there are so many great characters. Love every single gem though, apart from Bismuth (her design doesn't click with me). As far as human characters go, my favourites are Lars and Connie. I don't like Greg very much but I can appreciate Greg episodes since they have Rose flashbacks a lot of the time. Your favourite characters?

Likewise. She is definitely one of my favourite characters, haven't got a definitive favourite since there are so many great characters. Love every single gem though, apart from Bismuth (her design doesn't click with me). As far as human characters go, my favourites are Lars and Connie. I don't like Greg very much but I can appreciate Greg episodes since they have Rose flashbacks a lot of the time. Your favourite characters?
I honestly don't think I have any definitive favorites as well, though I do really like Garnet, Steven, Jasper, Greg, and Amethyst. I pretty much like everyone in this show, though there are some characters I don't particularly care for, like Lars.

I thought I'd post in here to see what is everyone's opinion on the latest episode.

I personally thought it was a great episode and I'd probably say it was one of my favourite episodes of the show (top 10). I love the progression Pearl is making since Mr Greg. I was a bit shocked that this didn't get censored since it was a bit risky in multiple areas for a kids show. Obviously the representation of the LGBTQ+ community was a bit forward in this episode compared to others so I thought that might have been risky with some closed minded people and then the fact that Pearl literally was in a police car chase and it had no repercussions on her. I also really want the mystery girl to be a recurring character.

I managed to get into SU about a year ago since I was bored waiting for a new Gravity Falls episode so I gave it a go and I didn't get hooked straight away. I saw the first 7 episodes and thought it wasn't that great, I ended coming back to it a month later once I was hung over and I didn't want to leave my bed and managed to get hooked.

Yeah, I wanted to post here after the recent episode, but double posting is a no-no. Thanks for posting.

I'm also proud of Pearl's character progression. We're finally seeing Pearl's attempts at moving on, even though she's still somewhat attracted to Rose. Or maybe she just has a type, idk. At least she's trying though. She went out and experienced new things, not just for the girl, but for herself. This is the beginning of a fresh start for her, I believe. I also enjoyed seeing rebel Pearl. Honestly, the part that shocked me most was the blatant "fuck the police" attitude this episode had lol. The LGBT themes have always been a part of the show, so I wasn't surprised at all by that. Some people may have seen it as risky, though I think Cartoon Network is pretty lax about it. And besides, Steven Universe is one of their most popular shows, one of the reasons for that is the LGBT themes. As long as SU is making them money, I doubt they're gonna complain.

As for the mystery girl, I wouldn't be surprised if she came back. Steven Universe hardly ever introduces characters just for them to never show up again. Even Kevin came back after being gone for most of season 1 and all of season 2. I personally would love her to come back. Though I'm also kinda torn because I'm not really a fan of romance, and I'm against the idea that you need to be in a relationship to be happy.

Though Rebecca said she has plans to make season 4 feature self love as a theme, and implied that it'll be tied with Jasper, so I think I should trust her. Rebecca wants to explore many different themes, and relationships really can help some people and make them happy, so I guess it's not so bad. I'll just have to wait and see.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, this episode was fantastic. I thought season 4 had been pretty underwhelming so far, so I'm glad the show still has that spark.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I loved Last One Out Of Beach City. Pearl finding a human love interest is genius in my opinion, and while Mystery Girl still looks a bit like Rose, this episode still shows Pearl's progression at moving on since Mr. Greg, which is really nice. This episode also reminded me of those 80's teen movies where some kid tries to be cool and goes to a dance party and gets the girl. And Mystery Girl is confirmed to come back, since the Crewniverse has said they never do one-shot characters (That should mean Mr. Frowney will be coming back too, which sounds pretty nice to me as a Mr. Smiley x Frowney shipper) Also, Bad Pearl alone made this episode a Top 10 one for me.

Yeah, this episode was fantastic. I thought season 4 had been pretty underwhelming so far, so I'm glad the show still has that spark.
In what ways? Not mad at you or anything, just interested in hearing your opinions.
I loved Last One Out Of Beach City. Pearl finding a human love interest is genius in my opinion
Actually, I didn't think about this before, but her gaining a human love interest could help her better appreciate humanity and Earth, like what happened with Rose when she met Greg.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)