Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realised where Rockruff's evolution's name comes from: Rugarugan looks like a Japanese rendering of the word loup-garou, which (it will probably surprise no-one to learn) is French for 'werewolf'.

(In fact, loup-garou literally means 'wolf-werewolf', which is a nice tie-in to what I assume are Rugarugan's normal-wolf and werewolf forms.)

I tought Rockruff's evolutions would be better and more menacing looking... really dissapointed.
Also, they totally look like fakemons with the "hair", like it doesn't feel natural compared to other canine quadrupeds like Arcanine and Manectric.

Does anybody else think the Night Evo looks like Zoroark?

I wonder if we're able to get day evo in moon and vice versa or are we stuck with that forme based on the game? I like both but am leaning towards Sun so far.
They are time/cycle related not version exclusives.

Meaning you can get both evolution lines in both games.

"It also reveals that it will show the true strength of the new Pokémon, Type: Null, during its next issue"

I was kinda hoping to experience it as a surprise in-game, but I'm pretty curious nonetheless. Hope it'll change form, instead of just being itself without the mask.
Me too tbh. I might try to avoid that particular announcement for the surprise.

Night evo is TOTALLY channeling Zoroark. And maybe Crash Bandicoot? No me gusta. But that's okay, I don't have to like everything for it to be a good addition, especially when I have a choice of two :D

UB Beauty's eyes are really freaking me out. Stop... staring D:

I still haven't read the "probably fairly accurate" leak, only picking up bits and pieces here, and briefly seeing the artwork for Litten and Popplio's evo... can someone confirm that there is a leak that suggests that the same setup applies for them as for Rockruff? Especially as it's already known that they all hide a "secret". IMO I'm rather relieved, since Pop and Litten's evos have... "interesting" designs. I like to have options, and two wildly different and polarising forms are IMO nicer to have than one middle-of-the-road design. (Although I'd rather have one middle of the road design than just one polarising design.)

What's the deal with the GO photo beside the Alola forms? They're not suggesting that transferred GO mons become Alola form, are they? That's absurd.

The Pokemon ethos has always been "catch them all", and all of the living things have always been Pokemon... except humans. So human transformation was always a strong candidate for any non-Pokemon animal, and now we have more of them that are obviously humanoid and are similar to each other in basic shape, implying a common biological route. (Eldritch monstrosities too alien to comprehend have much more variation than this in every depiction I can think of.)

At this point I think we can assume that Ultra Beasts are all modified humans, which is why they aren't Pokemon (as opposed to being Lovecraftian aliens when we already have alien Pokemon). This isn't much of a departure from series tradition and doesn't break the collectible feel of the game. It also means it won't feel too weird when we can't catch them -- humans catching other humans is just too obviously taboo.

Also my theory that Type: Null is just a codename for a restrained "actual Pokemon" and not part of the collectible set of Pokemon looks a bit more credible now. Even if not, I'm glad they didn't give a weird name to a Pokemon without making it mechanically interesting.

Edit: this leak, with UB02 being obviously Lusamine, also basically confirms that Aether are antagonists if that wasn't obvious. My guess: they love Pokemon so much that they want to become them. Should've just played Mystery Dungeon.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the rockruff evos. I think I'll go with the day evo in my first playthrough.

I wonder how the UB are going to fight. I mean are they going to use pokemon moves or are they going to have their own moves that can only be used by them?

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Geez, we don't know how much the game has actually changed so take it easy with such bold statements man. Perhaps it'll indeed be something entirely different and we might just love it even more than the previous game, or maybe not; who knows? It is far too early to tell and you really shouldn't be crucifying the game like this months before it is actually released imo.

On different note though, Lusamine and UB-02 Beauty are totally related somehow I'll be shocked if they aren't.
Not a man and no harm in having opinions. But I absolutely know how people reacted to Mega Evolutions, a lack of old Pokemon in Unova and no tracker in Pokemon Go. People on forums might be accepting of them but the greater population will be harder to convince given how they originally reacted to everything else. People go crazy and hate on a game over simple things, changing too much at nce is only going to create a negative reaction for the most part no matter how it's spinned.

Rockruff evolutions are fine. Not sure which one I like more at the moment. I do agree that the night evo looks a little too much like Zoroark though.

UB Beauty looking like Lusamine only makes the ultra beasts connection to the Aether Foundation look stronger in my eyes. Speaking of the ultra beasts, I suppose I get why some people wouldn't like them, but I do. I get the feeling they're supposed to look ugly and out of place. They're like nothing we've ever seen before.

How could ub beauty be Lusamine if it's moon exclusive? I don't think the plot would vary that radically.
Presumably UB02 Expansion will end up being Lusamine modified in some completely different way. Or UB02 will be someone else in Sun and UB03 will be Lusamine or something like that (they'll probably be codenamed in encounter order).

UB02 Expansion is Gladion. Ultra Beast are not based entirely on apperance, but mental state. That is why UB02 Expansion is the only one in an aggresive pose and its color is red, because Gladion is all about mental disorder and aggresivity. Just wait for confirmation.

I'm very excited for Sun/Moon and I welcome the changes with Island Trials etc.
The progression became too predictable for me (gym->gym->ellite4) so I look forward to being surprised.
I'm going into this game without a clear idea of how it will unfold. This hasn't happened since the very first Pokemon game I played so I can't wait.

UBs don't seem to be catchable Pokemon but villainous enemies.
Being able to fight monsters you can't catch wouldn't be completely new but it'd be the first time they'd feature in the main story.
Pokestar studios opponents hinted at this possibility and it seems they're taking it to a new (Ultra :P) level.

How could ub beauty be Lusamine if it's moon exclusive? I don't think the plot would vary that radically.
Like I and some other people have said before, I don't think Ultra Beasts are modified/mutated humans. They're most likely beasts that are simply imitating people they've bonded with and for now that's what I'm sticking with. The thought of actual human beings being turned into monsters is kinda too dark for a Pokemon game in my opinion.

At any rate, I also don't think there's enough information to safely assume anything about these Ultra Beasts so who knows really.

The Beauty Ultrabeast recalls me a manechin with this fish-like veil, articulated body and the long fingers make me think it is very lightweighted and elegant.

I look at Expansion Ultrabeast and immediately rebember of Whimpod. That name make me wonder if the crustacean red body is actualy inflated an the true forme is skinny and very weak.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Really liking buff mosquito.

According to Serebii, it's one Pokemon called Lugarugan. The form depends on whether you evolve it during the day or night. I don't know if there's any type difference, though; Serebii has yet to translate that.

Not sure which evo I prefer, though. Gonna be really hard to choose, as I love them both.
Evolving stuff based on the time of day is probably going to be a recurring trend in Sun & Moon, it didn't really occur to me earlier but it would definitely be cool.

Does anybody else think the Night Evo looks like Zoroark?

I wonder if we're able to get day evo in moon and vice versa or are we stuck with that forme based on the game? I like both but am leaning towards Sun so far.
Rockruff's night evolution looks like something you'd see if you searched up "Mega Skuntank" on Deviantart. If anyone buying Moon is stuck with it than I might consider picking up Sun instead.

Maybe she escapes in Sun and you catch it in Moon? 12 hours can be enough to make a difference.
Yeah, I for one really hope Game Freak uses the 12 hour separation between Sun & Moon to create interesting differences in the games' respective plot lines.

I will call the day evolution of Rockruff Remus (for Remus Lupin) and the night evolution Fenrir (for Fenrir Greyback).
Just for the sake of general knowledge, in general, if you name a wolf Pokemon Remus or Fenrir, the primary association won't be with harry potter characters, but with their namesake's origins - Remus, from Romulus and Remus, the twins in myth who were raised by a wolf (before Remus got fraticide-ded and then his brother founded Rome) and Fenrir, wolf-son of Loki, who'll eat the sun (and everything else) during Ragnarok after being released from his chains. Just FYI.

I really hope you can catch Eevee during the main games. It'd be a shame not to, since Eevee was the first Pokemon to flaunt the day/night evolution gimmick.

I was thinking... GF could be designing new megas. Instead they're designing ultra beasts. Good job GF.
Who says they aren't? There may be new megas (Though I don't find it likely at this point, I admit) but they are just not finding them worth noting.

I do remember Mega Glalie and Mega Steelix not being revealed until after the ORAS demo, so they may be hiding them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)