ORAS OU One Punch Man: Focus punch mega heracross team; 28-4 W/L, 80%+ GXE.

Hey everyone, I'm Panther, and some of you may know me from the RMT or OU Rooms on PS. I don't really have a presence on the forums, however, but I hope to start getting into helping people with their OU teams here. Anyways I enjoy building around gimmicky sets, as to me it makes the game more fun and interesting! This time, I looked at focus punch and M-Heracross' base 185 attack and knew that I had to try it out. Hence the creation of this team.

Proof of Performance

28-4.png

I tested this team for around 40 games overall on my main alt 'Alolan Panther' (forgot to include that in this screenshot, unfortunately).

Teambuilding Process

The Pokemon on which the team was based on. As mentioned, I wanted to run a sub-focus punch set here. In general, I wanted to build this team around a wallbreaker that also had defensive utility.

Due to the difficulties M-Heracross faces with dealing with fairies, I decided that adding a specially defensive Jirachi was needed. Jirachi's function is to check M-Diancie, Clefable, M-Gardevoir, Lati@s and other potent offensive threats which easily revenge kill Heracross. A set with U-Turn and healing wish is awesome to support heracross as well -- providing it free switches in addition to providing it a second chance to break down walls. More about Jirachi's role below.

The issues that I saw with both Heracross and Jirachi were the fact that both struggled versus more offensive builds due to their lackluster speed. The vulnerability here to Thundurus, Tornadus-T, and other offensive flying types was too pressing to ignore. In addition, Weavile breaks down bulky ground types which annoy M-Heracross -- Landorus-T, Garchomp and Gliscor. Thus, I decided to add Weavile. Its role in this core is to pursuit trap offensive M-Heracross checks, notably Tornadus-T, Zapdos and Thundurus, to break down bulky grounds, and finally to improve the team's matchup versus offensive builds.

While offensively this core is excellent it really falls flat defensively, as Jirachi really is not a M-Pinsir, Talonflame, Excadrill or Zard-X check. I wanted to add a physically defensive pivot to pair with Jirachi. At first, I considered running defensive Garchomp; however, losing to Zard-X wasn't at all appealing, and I really wanted a ground immunity, so I elected to add the superglue that is Landorus-T. Landorus-T forms a momentum core with Jirachi as well, which is awesome to give free switches to two extremely hard to check Pokemon -- Weavile and M-Heracross.

I initially had Latios in this spot; however, I found in testing that Azumarill gave this team extreme issues. In addition, as a Keldeo check, it is shaky at best due to how easily it gets worn down with scald burns and life orb recoil. I also wanted a good Thunderus check (Latios isn't a good Thunderus check, lol). Plus, I didn't see hazard removal as a necessity on this team, though it did limit the effectiveness of Weavile. Thus I tried to offensively pressure rocks setters harder than before through doubles and through u-turn in order to prevent rocks, with some success. Amoonguss' role is to check bulky water types that none of this squad really like to switch into. In testing, Amoonguss has performed better compared to Latios.

For the last slot, I wanted something which can check Weavile and Bisharp, meaning that I didn't have to rely on M-Heracross to check these Pokemon. Also, aside from Weavile, this team was rather slow, so adding another revenge killer in the form of Keldeo seemed to fit here. Honestly, having a team with pursuit support and not running Keldeo is a bit illogical. Keldeo's role on the team is to cleanup late game after Weavile and M-Heracross have weakened defensive cores to the point where Keldeo can clean.

The Team: In Depth Analysis

1. One Punch Man (Heracross-Mega) @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Rock Blast
- Pin Missile

Mega Heracross' role on this team is to serve as the main condition against stall, and against more balanced teams, to serve as an early game wallbreaker that breaks down defensive cores for Weavile and Keldeo to cleanup. I would never really hard switch Heracross into any attack, as preserving its HP is vital, especially considering that I rely on substitute and have no hazard removal. Bringing it through Landorus-T's or Jirachi's U-Turn is usually my best bet; however, bringing it in through well-timed doubles also works. For example, if my Keldeo is in and I see that they have an Amoonguss, most sane people can't afford to not go into their Keldeo check, so I would predict that swap and double into my Heracross.

The given EV spread allows it to outrun most Landorus-T's and standard minimum speed Rotom-W. I chose this benchmark to give me enough HP investment to ensure that defensive Landorus-T's rock slide, tank chomp's dragon tail, Amoonguss' HP Fire and sp.def Jirachi's iron head(notable examples) do not break my substitute. This is critical for obvious reasons: without a sub, it's much harder to actually utilize focus punch. I chose to run an adamant nature to actually 2HKO physically defensive Skarmory, as well as 2HKO standard CM Clefable with rock blast. As my team's main wallbreaker, I put an emphasis on hitting as hard as possible, hence the EVs. All other moves are standard and do not need explanation, but just to clarify to the bullet seed lovers: pin missile already 2HKOs Manaphy, Quagsire, Rotom and any bulky water! It's coverage is pointless! Anyways, moving on to the next Pokemon on my team.

2. Wish For Hax (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 140 SpD / 116 Spe
Careful Nature
- Healing Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Jirachi's role on my team is to check threatening fairy types such as M-Diance, M-Gardevoir, M-Altaria and Clefable, as well as protect Heracross from fast psychic types that would otherwise revenge kill it, such as Alakazam and Lati@s. Furthermore, due to the amount of switches Jirachi forces on these Pokemon, stealth rock works really well here to use it on that forced switch. Its second main role is to get Keldeo, Weavile and M-Heracross in safely with its slowish U-Turn. Finally, due to how easily Landorus-T and M-Heracross get worn down, its final role is to provide healing wish support for these Pokemon. This is honestly amazing on any bulky offensive team in that you don't have to sacrifice momentum to revive a teammate, unlike a cleric, where you would basically give a free switch to your opponent. Finally, leftovers is crucial to actually check threats throughout the match.

The given EV spread is used to provide as much special bulk as possible (to check the aforementioned threats that this Pokemon was added to check), while giving it enough speed to get a healing wish off against a myriad of offensive threats that crowd 260-264 speed -- notably Bisharp, defensive Garchomp, Breloom and Volcanion. This is important because it allows Jirachi to actually be useful if, for example, my opponent predicts my Jirachi switch in and doubles into their Volcanion. While I lose a Pokemon, at least I don't lose it in vain. Finally, leftovers is crucial to actually check threats throughout the match.

3. Tsujigiri (Weavile) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard

Weavile's role on the team is to pursuit trap fast offensive checks to M-Heracross as well as Pokemon which can easily revenge kill it. Notable Pokemon on this list include Tornadus-T, Latios, Latias, Alakazam (not mega), Gengar, Starmie and Thundurus. This is crucial, because being forced out by these Pokemon loses so much momentum, and my team really can't check Pokemon like Tornadus-T and Thundurus easily. Using Keldeo as bait is excellent for this, as most teams usually only have one solid Keldeo answer, all of which are weak to Weavile (especially the cookie cutter Latios+Landorus-T builds). Thus, pulling a double switch here usually results in Weavile getting a kill. Of course, the momentum Jirachi and Landorus-T provides is excellent to get Weavile in safely as well.

While a choice band set is more common on stall, I felt that having no hazard removal in addition to how important it was for Weavile to actually trap the aforementioned threats, made running a banded set justified. This really helps in easing pursuit mindgames on Pokemon such as Tornadus-T, Latios, Latias, and Starmie, as they require significantly less chip damage to actually kill with Pursuit regardless if they switch, thereby allowing Weavile to trap them more easily. Likewise, with Thundurus, it ensures that ice shard is a guaranteed OHKO after rocks, meaning that paralysis is always avoided. The EVs and moves are otherwise very standard and do not require much explanation.

4. Imposing Feline (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Perhaps the most iconic Pokemon currently in OU makes his appearance on my team. The role compression and team support this big cat provides makes it hard to justify not using. At this stage, offensive birds such as Talonflame, M-Pinsir and Staraptor were extremely hard to deal with; similarly, Excadrill and M-Charizard X could easily pressure the current core. As well, spikes stackers such as Skarmory and to a lesser extent Ferrothorn could use Jirachi and Weavile as spikes bait, ruining the team's overall defensive capabilities. Landorus-T's role on this team is to provide a solid bird check while also maintaining offensive momentum with U-Turn.

Regarding the moveset, item and EVs, smack down is used to ensure that Pokemon such as Skarmory do not use Landorus-T as spikes bait, and swords dance is used to break through bulky M-Scizor in particular, thereby preventing it from setting up on Landorus-T. Swords dance is also really nice to pressure Ferrothorn harder, meaning that it can't setup spikes as easily against my team. I chose leftover in the last slot due to the fact that Landorus-T is this team's only defensive pivot, and is thus relied upon to check a plethora of threats, meaning that without leftovers it will be worn down significantly more easily. The EV spread maximizes physical bulk, and gives me enough special defence to survive Latios' Draco Meteor from full; the 16 speed outruns max speed timid non-scarfed Magnezone. Earthquake and U-Turn are extremely standard and thus don't require much explanation, but U-Turn is superior to knock off due to the fact that it creates a momentum core with Jirachi, and gives Weavile and M-Heracross free turns.

5. Imposing Mushroom (Amoonguss) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Clear Smog
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Moving on, my team effectively supported M-Heracross through utilizing Weavile to kill its checks and revenge killers; defensively, Landorus-T and Jirachi support M-Heracross through checking dangerous flying and fairy types for it. However, this core has a critical weakness to bulky and offensive water types, notably Keldeo, Azumarill, Rotom-W and Manaphy. As well, if Jirachi gets paralyzed by Clefable, it cannot reliably beat calm mind variants. And don't get me started on dealing with CM Suicune. I felt that adding a bulky grass type was appropriate to address this problem. I first considered running AV Tangrowth, but its inability to stop calm mind Clefable and the fact that it is 2HKOd by choice band Azumarill made it unappealing. Amoonguss fits this role well as a scald absorber and bulky water check, while having clear smog to stop setup made it even more appealing to run. Its role on my team, as mentioned, is to check dangerous Pokemon like Keldeo, Azumarill and Manaphy which the rest of my team struggles with, while providing a way to stop setup, notably CM Suicune and Clefable.

The EV spread allows me to switch into a +3 scald from Manaphy and thereafter survive a +3 ice beam after stealth rocks damage, allowing Amoonguss to take it down to 50%, meaning that Weavile can easily revenge kill it after Amoonguss goes down. The physical bulk is also sufficient for checking Azumarill, as it allows it to avoid the 2HKO from any attack from banded Azumarill. While losing speed control with stun spore and sleep support with spore sucks, the ability to consistently check CM Suicune and Clefable, as well as beating Manaphy 1v1, was more important in my view. Looking at the rest of the moveset, HP Fire is used to not be setup bait for M-Scizor, as well as preventing Ferrothorn from switching in for free and getting up spikes. Giga drain and sludge bomb are standard and require no explanation.

6. My Lil Hax (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Electric
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Lastly, Keldeo's role on my team is to serve as a revenge killer and late game cleaner which capitalizes on the holes M-Heracross opens early-mid game. As well, I added it to improve the team's matchup versus more offensive builds, which synergizes well with Weavile as a tool to menace offensive teams. Speaking of Weavile, its pursuit support naturally synergizes well with Keldeo, as it can trap Keldeo's limited checks fairly easily due to the excellent power of a banded pursuit. Keldeo also serves as this team's secondary Bisharp and Weavile check, and can serve as an emergency check against M-Scizor with a bit of luck from scald. Keldeo is also crucial for revenge killing Pokemon such as M-Alakazam and M-Gyrados -- both threatening Pokemon that 6-0 the team after Jirachi and Amoonguss respectively have been weakened.

Looking at the spread, scald, hydro pump, and secret sword are extremely standard and therefore don't require much explanation. This is also true with the EVs: you never really run anything but 252 speed and special attack with a timid nature. Hidden power electric is used to help mainly against M-Gyrados that chooses not to mega initially, preventing Keldeo from being setup bait. It also ensures that Pokemon such as Starmie and Slowbro do not gain free switches into Keldeo throughout the match.

Feel free to use this! I hope you guys have as much fun this this team as I did!

Threats List

Mega Alakazam:

If Jirachi gets weakened, this Pokemon can literally 6-0 my team. Spikes stacking M-Alakazam teams are particularly threatening as they wear down Jirachi extremely quickly. I usually deal with this Pokemon by keeping Jirachi healthy at all costs, as well as preserving Keldeo to revenge kill it.

Azumarill --> Belly Drum:

Unfortunately my Amoonguss is unable to take a +6 knock off; consequently, a +6 Azumarill just plows through my team if I let it setup. Identifying whether my opponent's Azumarill is belly drum or not by analyzing their team is critical to preventing this thing from setting up, as well as doubling into Azumarill with Amoonguss on their switch into Weavile or Keldeo locked into anything but scald, for example.

Talonflame --> Bulk Up/Bulky SD with Wisp:
This Pokemon is so annoying to deal with due to the fact that it just cripples its checks with a burn. Swords dance Landorus-T can overpower even Will-O-Wisp Talonflame, but takes significant damage in the process, which in turn opens holes for their M-Pinsir to sweep me, for example. I usually deal with this by getting rocks up ASAP, and just forcing it out with Landorus-T, while simultaneously trapping their hazard removers with pursuit from Weavile.

Tornadus-Therian:

All variants of Tornadus-T really threaten this team. It's sadly a bird which Landorus-T cannot really check, and my only way around this Pokemon is to either double into Weavile on its predicted switch in, or trapping it with Weavile once I've sacked a Pokemon. Not only that, but being forced to lose momentum just to play around this Pokemon is extremely annoying (u-turning out and preserving momentum for their team).

Replays

All these replays unfortunately show the previous iteration of the team, which included Latios>Amoonguss. Nevertheless, they showcase the team's performance well.

1. Against a M-Scizor balanced team during a OU room tour: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434578377.

2. Against a very unique M-Gardevoir team. A very close game with some tough predictions and plays towards the end. OU room tournament, semi-finals. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434593994.

3. Against someone who decided to completely copy my team. Really interesting mirror match with a cool Landorus-T vs. Landorus-T ending. OU room tournament, finals: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434596464.

4. Epic fail against a guy using a curse Ferrothorn. Really caught me off guard. Used my alt, Alolan Panther, for this battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-434624063.

Final Thoughts

A big thanks to everyone who took the time to read my RMT! I also thank anyone who rates this in advance! Thanks for reading and have a damn good day! ^_^

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Gonna hit up this team later for a rate, but you should really add Passho Volc to the threatlist, it absolutely bones you at +1, doing a ton to every member of the team and netting a "surprise" kill vs Keldeo when you try to revenge kill it.

Also, you should only be running around 100 speed on hera and pump the rest into bulk in order to maximize hera's bulk, especially since it doesn't really rely on its speed. I know that the team's built around this move, but Focus Punch is absolute dong imo because it doesn't give you a consistent move to click in late-game situations where you really just need a kill with your fighting STAB as opposed to necessitating a sub up to function properly, as you've probably already revealed focus punch at this point, and cc doesn't have the annoying negative priority that allows really slow shit like Chansey and Sab to break your sub before you've even fired off an attack, leaving faster mons like wisp talon to potentially revenge kill you. Will leave a more in-depth rate later, and soz about replacing the mon you wanted to build around, it just kinda is meh lol.

This team is pretty solid and looks really nice. You said that the given EVs on Mega Heracross allow
its Sub not to be broken by TankChomps's Dragon Tail, Amoongus' HP Fire, Sp.Def Jirachi's Iron Head etc but....

0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 76 - 91 (23.1 - 27.6%) -- 75.3% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Garchomp Dragon Tail vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 72 - 85 (21.8 - 25.8%) -- 2.3% chance to 4HKO

0 SpA Amoonguss Hidden Power Fire vs. 112 HP / 0 Def Mega Heracross: 74 - 88 (22.4 - 26.7%) -- 20.8% chance to 4HKO

In order not to have a Sub broken you need to take until 25% damage...

That's why I suggest you to run a 160 HP | 152 Atk | 4 Def | 52 SpD | 140 Spe EVs Spread with an Adamant Nature on Mega Heracross.
At the cost of some power you are free to get up a Substitute against Rotom-W since its Volt Switch doesn't breake your Sub and with 140 Spe investment you outspeed it and avoid the burn ;)

0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 160 HP / 52 SpD Mega Heracross: 72-85 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Oh you can even get up a substitute on Hippowdon's Stone Edge:

0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Last edited:
Why not use a belly drum azu set , your amoongus synergy is very strong since it can switch in potential set up poke that want to kill the mushroom . It seems like a solid wincon on your team.

Hey brother, nice team! I see you in the OU rooms sometimes, we've got to battle sometime :P

Just something I would change is running physically defensive Skarmory over Jirachi. By doing this, you gain more resistance to the +6 Azumarill which threatens your team, and gain a defogger in the process to help out against those hazard stacks which as you mentioned is also a pain.

Move set and EV's would be up to you, but I'd suggest having stealth rocks, defog, brave bird, roost, as well as 252 HP, 160+ Defense, 96 Special Defense, -Special attack. Just a bit of a more balanced set, although this does add more of a weakness to will-o-wisp Rotom Wash.

That's all I've got to say, best of lack with your battling!

Gonna hit up this team later for a rate, but you should really add Passho Volc to the threatlist, it absolutely bones you at +1, doing a ton to every member of the team and netting a "surprise" kill vs Keldeo when you try to revenge kill it.

Also, you should only be running around 100 speed on hera and pump the rest into bulk in order to maximize hera's bulk, especially since it doesn't really rely on its speed. I know that the team's built around this move, but Focus Punch is absolute dong imo because it doesn't give you a consistent move to click in late-game situations where you really just need a kill with your fighting STAB as opposed to necessitating a sub up to function properly, as you've probably already revealed focus punch at this point, and cc doesn't have the annoying negative priority that allows really slow shit like Chansey and Sab to break your sub before you've even fired off an attack, leaving faster mons like wisp talon to potentially revenge kill you. Will leave a more in-depth rate later, and soz about replacing the mon you wanted to build around, it just kinda is meh lol.

Appreciate the insight. Still waiting for your full rate fham.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)