Not open for further replies.

(art created by coR.)

VGC 2016
Community Create-a-Team

Current Team

Thread idea by a0161613
*Approved by blarajan*

Introduction
The purpose of this thread is for us to create a team as a community with suggesting, discussing, nominating and voting to take place. The result will be a team that we can use to efficiently ladder with on PS!. The team will be showcased ingame as well in the form of live streamed viewer battles on my Twitch channel . Hopefully we can all learn and benefit from the experience of team-building but the end result is about battling online and trying to get the win. But even if we lose often this can be a positive experience and we can come out better for it.

General Schedule
Core Voting Phase: Ends Thursday 9/22 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 3 Nomination Phase: Ends Sunday 9/25 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 3 Voting Phase: Ends Wednesday 9/28 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 4 Nomination Phase: Ends Sunday 10/2 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 4 Voting Phase: Ends Wednesday 10/5 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 5 Nomination Phase: Ends Wednesday 10/12 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)

Slot 5 Voting Phase: Ends Sunday 10/16 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 6 Nomination Phase: Ends Wednesday 10/19 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)
Slot 6 Voting Phase: Ends Sunday 10/23 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4)

Voting format
Please vote in order of your preferences. If there are five options, please rank them in order of first favorite to least favorite. In this instance, your first favorite gets five votes, second favorite gets four votes, etc. up until your least favorite getting 1 vote.
!! This does not apply to the Core Voting Phase !!

Guidelines
  • Please make only one selection per round unless stated.
  • Don’t push for “bad” stuff to be included. The viability rankings shall be a guide for this. Remember that this isn’t just a guide for stuff that we can use, this is a list of things that we need to keep an eye out for.
  • Explain yourself clearly and supply calcs, replays or evidence where possible but keep on topic.
  • Don’t get offended if things don’t go your way.
  • Respect the deadlines put in place.
  • All other sections rules apply. VGC Subforum mods are free to intervene where they feel necessary.
Here is an example of a good nomination post
I believe that our team is lacking proper checks for Smeargle as of now, so I am suggesting Mega Kangaskhan:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
Happiness: 0
EVs: 36 HP / 140 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Not only does it provide us with a much needed Fake Out, it’s also an incredible threat by itself thanks to Power-Up Punch. Frustration over Double-Edge so our defensive EV spread is not wasted, and max speed ensures that we at least speed tie with any other Mega Kangaskhan.

With 36 HP / 76 Def our Kangaskhan will be able to survive a Low Kick from opposing, Jolly Mega Kangaskhan 100% of the time. The rest of the EVs are put into Atk to maximize damage output.

Here is an example of a terrible nomination post

Talonflame @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Gale Wings
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 76 Def / 20 SpD / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp

Wins games, destroys worlds. Takes return from kangaskahn. Burns things. xD

Importable

* But nobody came.

Voting results

* But nobody came.

Last edited:
Round 1

This should be the first selection of all to make. We need to choose something to build around, the heart and soul of the squad. For simplicity’s sake we will be voting on a core of restricted Pokémon to start out with. The first building session will involve us selecting from the following restricted cores:​
  1. Kyogre/Yveltal
  2. Kyogre/Xerneas
  3. Groudon/Yveltal
  4. Groudon/Rayquaza
  5. Groudon/Dialga
This vote is open until September 22nd 11:59pm EDT (GMT -4).

Round 2
Now that we found our restricted duo in Groudon/Yveltal, we will now begin the nomination phase for our 3rd slot. In addition to that, we will also nominate sets for our restricted duo, so we will have a total of three sets that are voted on in this round. Please refer to the Guidelines section of the first post for nominating sets, thank you.

The voting phase for this round has started! Here are your voting options:

3rd slot:
Ferrothorn
Heat Proof Bronzong
Dual speed control Cresselia
Mawile-Mega
Gengar-Mega
Bulky Thundurus

Groudon:
TR Groudon
Jolly Groudon
Full Special

Yveltal:
LO Jolly with Snarl
LO Jolly with Knock Off

Round 4
Pokémon you can vote for:
Mega Kangaskhan
Mega Gengar
Mega Salamence

Last edited:
Groudon/Rayquaza!

I don't have a good reason why, but I want to see what we can come up with. I feel like it's probably the most difficult core from the list, since it is so unclear what the best options are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voting for Groudon/Yveltal.

I've always been a big fan of the combo personally. Regardless, I think the duo is very strong duo as Yveltal is able to chunk primals when Groudon can't and it gives us a consistent way of dealing with the very popular pokemon Cresselia and Bronzong.

I have to vote for Groudon/Yveltal. (Mainly echo the points said by mrbopper.)

Yveltal/Groudon is a very devastating core if pulled of right, and can even beat Xerneas teams with the right support, which is easy to ad

Voting for Kyogre/Yveltal.

I've been looking into this recently and I believe that there is still a lot to figure out about this core, so going for a community effort here would be amazing. I feel like it's a great approach to the current VGC 16 environment after the World Championships.

Last edited:
Groudon / Dialga

I've been researching on this core for some time, and its placements at Worlds day 2 showcase there might be some hidden potential behind it. Plus, some Chilean friends of mine have looked into it for a longer time than what I have, and I really want to see what are its limits

Groudon / Rayquaza

core looks like a good basis for a fun HO team but from what I've heard the core is still relatively unexplored, with nearly everyone being unsure of the best route to take with it. having the community examine this extremely potent and powerful pair would be cool :)

Groudon Yveltal

In addition to what Bopper said, I think this can be built well in a number of different ways and in general is under-explored despite exposure from Arash's use of it.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Kyogre / Yveltal

This is a difficult set to choose from and tbh I would personally prefer not starting with a restricted duo, but it's fine.

I chose Kyogre/Yveltal because it seems relatively underexplored (though I get that YvelOgre/YOgre/Yogurt/whatever is somewhat of a fad rn). I'm a fan of bulkier archetypes and the combination of Kyogre's rain and Yveltal's Snarls and ability to check Cress/Zong allows the duo to halt a lot of momentum and enable safer plays.

Groudon/Yveltal and Groudon/Ray are my next preferences.

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yveltal/Groudon

Couldn't decide between this and Kyogre / Xerneas but figured I'd like to see YDon simply because I think theres more flexibility in the archetype based on the successful teams I've seen from both sides.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Throwing another vote for Groudon/Rayquaza

My reasoning extends a little beyond "it has Rayquaza" I swear. I've been interested in this core all season and it's been a core that's been pushed aside as "bad" or questionable in the past, yet now we've seen people succeed with it and the teams always look very different. Definitely one of the more under-explored archetypes, and probably a tougher one to use in the currently Kyogre-dominant metagame, but that's exactly why I think it's worth taking a look at right now. Also power is good, HO for life.

Kyogre/Yveltal

Echoing Hibiki a bit here. I really think Yveltal/Ogre is a really interesting pairing to explore in this post worlds meta. It has some noticeable weaknesses at the gate (Xerneas), but that being said, I still think it has a ton of potential that hasn't really been tapped into yet.

As many have said above, Yveltal/Kyogre definitely has potential here. It's almost like Rayquaza/Kyogre but without Air Lock and more bulk on Rayquaza's end. And yes, it does have that glaring weakness to Xerneas, but there are a handful of ways to get around it.

Groudon/Yveltal

haven't used this core at all. other than that, i think these two can be really good when used right. would like to see what the community can come up with in regards to this core.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Kyogre/Yveltal because, like others have said, it feels less explored than the others and so there's more potential for us to come up with something interesting. I feel like with most of the other options we'll end up with a team that we already know works well.

Kyogre/xerneas and groudon/rayquaza are my 2nd and 3rd options

Joining the Kyogre/Yveltal-hypetrain because the core itself is pretty strong and I think there is so much to discover.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Kyogre/Yveltal

I've been using this for a while and I think it still has a lot of unexplored potential. I also think it has good match ups against most non-Xerneas teams.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
Rayquaza + Groudon

Although they run into problems with common meta picks such as Kyogre + Bronzong, Salamence, and others, Rayquaza and Groudon provide insane damage output and offensive pressure. With good team support the two can absolutely shred opposing teams. I've tried building around the two in the past but couldn't work anything out, so I'd like to see how the community handles it.

coR.

Banned deucer.
Kyogre/Yveltal
This seems like a strong-unexplored core mixing the Kyogre bulk and the strong offense of Yveltal, also, it will be interesting how to fill the Xerneas weaknesses.

Groudon/Yveltal

A strong and underexplored core. Yveltal never really got it's time to shine but with the decrease of Xerneas and the increas of Kyogre, Bronzong and Mega Gengar it has new ways to shine. Will also be interesting to see if you opt for a TR mode within the team or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)