Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Shedinja received damage from Life Orb
Shedinja fainted!
*Receiver activates*
Passimian was unable to receive Wonder Guard!

I imagine the only reason Trace is allowed to copy Wonder Guard is because their opponent would have to be a Shedinja first.

Other Abilities likely not able to be received: Multitype, Illusion, Flower Gift, Imposter, Stance Change, Disguise, Forecast, Parental Bond, Power Construct, Schooling, Shield's Down, & Zen Mode.
I'd imagine what that can be skill swapped can be received by Passimian.
That would mean Parental Bond can be received.

But how does that work? Parental Bond is suppose to be adult and child attacking, you need two beings.
Abilities are somewhat fluid, though. How does a Ralts manage Bulletproof? An Alakazam Battle Armor? Or, contrarily, why can't Dugtrio or Wishiwashi use Parental Bond themselves, if it's as simple as two beings attacking. Technically, even Doduo and Dodrio could potentially manage it for some attacks. Most of the abilities you mentioned have to do with some kind of form change that happen as a result of the ability itself, rather than the already existing form. This is a similar concept to how a Smeargle can learn Water Spout, how a Bonsly can mimic Fly, or how a Pangoro can mate with a Seedot. Pokémon just doesn't always make sense.

That said, I would be surprised if Receiver worked with Wonder Guard or any other non-swappable ability.

I think the best thing to try to pass to Passimian would probably just be huge power given that it would be incredibly silly of them to forget to block him from getting abilities that can't be skill swapped (I assume schooling will be added to this list). I could see it working well with Azumarill in particular. Belly Drum on Azumarill, then either they deal with +6 aqua jets if they try to deal with Passimian first, or if they kill Azumarill they give Huge Power to something that's probably going to have more base attack/speed than your typical huge power user. If it gets close combat or superpower, Serperior could be a good pairing as well. I could see it getting wide/quick guard to fit with the sports theme and doubles orientation which would help prevent the enemy from splitting damage and going for a double KO. It's all speculative until we start getting stat totals and full move pools though.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
For the Battle Mansion Replacement, I'm building a Hypothetical Triples Team around Eevee's Z-Move because it looks fun to (ab)use. (I'm assuming that Z-Moves have Priority, because if they don't, this team won't work.) I'm thinking that I can just use Psych Up then Brute Force with Spread Moves after the Turn of Set Up because Brute Force how my Sun Team works. (Coverage is over ratted :P) I've got Eevee (Duh) with Batton Pass, a Mega with a Typeilate Ability and Psych Up, (I'm thinking Altaria) and Sylveon but I'm having trouble deciding who else to use and what my backup plan can be. I don't want a "Good" Team, (as in, a competitive against other real players) I want a fun team that can demolish anything the AI throws at it.

I realized that if Passimian is actually common in its tier (be it OU or NU), then more Gastro Acid sets will rise.
Even if the ability works like that, (It looks like it only works for Doubles or Tripples) Gastro Acid seems like using a gimmick to fight a gimmick.

With competitive battling mentioned again despite mods repetitively asking for us not to bring it up, I would like to offer any mod who wants one an Altaria to play with in Amie for stress relief.

So there's been a theory going around that Ultra Beasts are based on pests since the jellyfish, mosquito, and cockroach are an annoyance on Hawaii. This theory hinges on UB-02 Beauty being based on a cockroach but perhaps it's based on the copepod.

UB-02 Expansion seems to be based on the mosquito. The mosquito is an foreign invasive species. There's a type of copepod called the Macrocyclops albidus that are used as a form biological control (biocontrol) to keep the mosquito in check.

Here's a comparison of the two:
Copepod

UB-02 Beauty

If this is true, then it would make sense that they are version exclusives, as they are counterparts of each other. They also wouldn't be the only version exclusives based pest vs biocontrol as Gumshoos and Alolan Raticate are version-exclusive totem pokemon. Perhaps there will be other version exclusives/differences based on this concept.

Other interesting facts I came across regarding invasive species and biocontrol:

*UB-01: Jellyfish aren't a foreign invasive species but they do migrate and invade Hawaiian shores regularly. What's interesting is that there's a pattern to it. They are typically seen in Hawaii about 9-12 days after every full moon.

*Cutiefly: There have been attempts in the past to use bee flies as biocontrol of grasshoppers. Its evolution seems to be based on some kind of moth or butterfly. Hawaii recently introduced the Madagascan fireweed moth to control an invasive plant species, the fireweed.

Last edited:
So I was going back through the old trailers and started listening to the Gladius theme (which is awesome btw). And I learnt it was actually a remix of Emmas theme from XY (Emma was the girl during the Looker arc post game if you didnt remember like me). Looking up about it more it turns out that the suit Emma wore was called the Expansion suit. Most people already agree that UB-02 expansion is Gladius but this is further suggestion to the fact. On top of this, this might actually extend some story arcs back to X and Y and tie some of the many loose ends XY had, which Im really hoping for, perhaps Team Flare and the Aether foundation/Ultra Beasts are related in some way.

Ultra Beasts are probably the least interesting part of the upcoming games for me*, but I have to admit, I've found this latest speculation intriguing. :D

*yes, even more than changing your character's clothes

Besides, if it truly is just a funny one-liner, why leave it up the air like that?
XY had a ton of lines like that (frustratingly). Don't think too much into it.

But how does that work? Parental Bond is suppose to be adult and child attacking, you need two beings.
Logically it doesn't make sense for a monkey/lemur to be able to learn how to Levitate to avoid Ground moves (especially when it doesn't physically leave the ground), but they literally used that as their example in the trailer. If they used in-universe logic for changing abilities, then Trace wouldn't exist at all since it causes inconsistencies like that all the time.

Throwing random salt for the sake of it again. But y'know how SM are delayed for Europe, for "reasons"? They don't even have the decency to release it on a weekend. It's a bloody Wednesday. For a social game, that cuts back a lot of opportunities for good memories -
"hey, friend 1, ready to go to the stores and pick up SM? I'm picking Rowlet!"
1: "Sure, but what about friend 2 and friend 3? Also Rowlet"
"oh yeah well 2 won't be home until the weekend because he's at work in [city] and 3 has college and can't leave midweek"
1: " :'( "

As opposed to "hey wanna head to the stores now and pick up SM?"
1/2/3: "HASHTAG TEAM ROWLET WOOOH"

Related, I know a surprising amount of people who have picked up a 3DS for SM. I think it's coming off the backs of the good reception that XY and ORAS got for their respective releases, though, not for SM specifically.

Related, I know a surprising amount of people who have picked up a 3DS for SM. I think it's coming off the backs of the good reception that XY and ORAS got for their respective releases, though, not for SM specifically.
A lot of the credit also goes to pokemon go, people literally went from calling pokemon nerdy to bragging about their cp 1069 vaporeon.

Also on a kinda unrelated note, when pokemon go had just reached it's peak I walked past some shit stain in the street pronouncing gyarados as 'guy-ra-dos'.

I really hate that app.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mold Breaker is a simple solution for all your problems today. Available at a PokeMart near you.
Mold breaker only removes abilities that activate at the moment you attack, à la Water Absorb, Magic Bounce, Multiscale, etc (and only defensive ones, not iron barbs). It has never stopped the other abilities (Magic Guard for example, you can toxic Clefable with Excadrill if you want, it won't take any damage). Same for Trace, Swift Swim, etc.

Would I be able to buy the special SM 3ds in stores or only online?
Depends on location -- however, I purchased (pre-ordered) mine in-store, in Australia. Not read anything to say it is an on-line only and looking at the US gamestop site it doesn't indicate online only (assuming you are in the US).

Potentially stupid question, Z moves, they will form part of the standard 4 moves, right? Or will it be similar to a 'mega-evolution' option? My google searches don't seem to be yielding relevant results -_-

Depends on location -- however, I purchased (pre-ordered) mine in-store, in Australia. Not read anything to say it is an on-line only and looking at the US gamestop site it doesn't indicate online only (assuming you are in the US).

Potentially stupid question, Z moves, they will form part of the standard 4 moves, right? Or will it be similar to a 'mega-evolution' option? My google searches don't seem to be yielding relevant results -_-
From what we've seen, Z-Moves work like Mega Evolution, in that there's a separate button like the Mega Evolution thing for the Z-Move rather than one of the moveslots.

Z moves, they will form part of the standard 4 moves, right? Or will it be similar to a 'mega-evolution' option? My google searches don't seem to be yielding relevant results -_-
From what we've seen, Z-Moves work like Mega Evolution, in that there's a separate button like the Mega Evolution thing for the Z-Move rather than one of the moveslots.
Sort of. There is a button similar to mega evolution, BUT in order to use a Z Move, you must have a regular move of the same type. It's not a separate move entirely, per se, because it still does use 1PP of whatever regular move was selected.

Mold breaker only removes abilities that activate at the moment you attack, à la Water Absorb, Magic Bounce, Multiscale, etc (and only defensive ones, not iron barbs). It has never stopped the other abilities (Magic Guard for example, you can toxic Clefable with Excadrill if you want, it won't take any damage). Same for Trace, Swift Swim, etc.
Oh my bad.

Of course, there's still the matter of what happens if two moves fit the criteria of the Z-Move. But I guess we'll see that once a demo shows up.
I would presume the one closest to the top.

So I was going back through the old trailers and started listening to the Gladius theme (which is awesome btw). And I learnt it was actually a remix of Emmas theme from XY (Emma was the girl during the Looker arc post game if you didnt remember like me). Looking up about it more it turns out that the suit Emma wore was called the Expansion suit. Most people already agree that UB-02 expansion is Gladius but this is further suggestion to the fact. On top of this, this might actually extend some story arcs back to X and Y and tie some of the many loose ends XY had, which Im really hoping for, perhaps Team Flare and the Aether foundation/Ultra Beasts are related in some way.
Galactic HQ played with BW instruments.

That's 80% of Gladion theme to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)