Pansear [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

[OVERVIEW]

Although Pansear has above average stats and gets a powerful Special Attack boost from its ability when taken down to 1/3 HP, it is significantly held back by its poor movepool and below average attacking stats. It's also largely outclassed by other Fire-types, mainly Houndour. However, its bulk and ability to take on Fighting-types, as well as its ability to use a unique Berry Juice + Recycle set, gives it a small niche in competitive play.

[SET]
name: Berry Juice Stall
move 1: Recycle
move 2: Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Flame Charge
move 4: Substitute
item: Berry Juice
ability: Blaze
nature: Jolly
evs: 212 Def / 212 SpD / 84 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recycle replenishes Pansear's Berry Juice, keeping it alive until it runs out of PP given that Pansear isn't OHKOed or your move isn't predicted. Will-O-Wisp whittles down the foe while Pansear stalls and makes Pansear a somewhat decent physical wall by halving the foe's Attack. Substitute cuts Pansear's own HP to activate Berry Juice, as well as letting it avoid status and wear down burned Pokemon. Flame Charge gives Pansear +1 Speed, letting it outspeed Diglett and common Choice Scarf users as well as giving it a good STAB move. Knock Off could work over Substitute or Will-O-Wisp to cripple bulkier foes, but it struggles for a moveslot.

Set Details
========

This EV spread gives Pansear 15 Speed so it can outspeed common Choice Scarf threats as well as the entire unboosted metagame after a Flame Charge. Its Defense and Special Defense stats also have enough investment to let it survive Fletchling's Acrobatics, Abra's Psychic, and Mienfoo's Drain Punch, and it specifically survives Chinchou's Scald and a burned Diglett's Earthquake; both of these Pokemon are big threats to Pansear. Its ability, Blaze, gives it a very good power boost at under 1/3 HP but should not be taken advantage of much, as the whole point of the set is to keep Pansear at a high HP. Berry Juice and Recycle are used in conjunction to stall the opponent out by continually restoring Pansear to full health until the foe faints or runs out of options. 132 Def / 132 SpD / 244 Spe with a Jolly nature is also a good alternate spread to run to outspeed Jolly Pawniard, but it isn't recommended.

Usage Tips
========

Never switch in Pansear to a Knock Off user due to it negating Recycle and therefore the entire set. However, if Pansear has consumed its Berry Juice and is faster than the opponent's Pokemon, then it can easily use Recycle, allowing it to take a Knock Off and not worry about losing its important item. It is also recommended to use Pansear late-game when the enemy team has taken a bit of chip damage. Futhermore, Pansear completely walls Ponyta, though it is also walled by it if neither has Toxic. Getting up a Flame Charge is always a very good idea if the opponent has Diglett. Using Substitute to activate Berry Juice and get back to full HP so Pansear can survive certain attacks such as a burned Life Orb Diglett's Earthquake is usually beneficial. Finally, Pansear can sometimes use Will-O-Wisp on the switch of a Pokemon that can OHKO it so it can stall out said Pokemon later in the game.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types like Ferroseed and Foongus beat Ground- and Water- types that threaten Pansear, as do fast Water-types like Choice Scarf Chinchou. Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users also help Pansear get in the field. Furthermore, Cottonee checks are very useful, as Pansear hates being Taunted; Fletchling fills both of these roles quite well. Entry hazard removers such as Vullaby and Drilbur stop Pansear from being whittled down every time it switches in while hazards are up. Toxic Spikes users can help Pansear stall by making sure it doesn't have to waste a turn using Will-O-Wisp, although they decrease the effectiveness of Pansear as a physical tank. Pokemon that can punish big threats like Porygon, such as Pawniard and Scraggy, generally make good teammates for Pansear. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate the burning of common threats like Omanyte and other setup sweepers like the support from Pansear.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Flame Charge / Substitute
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 52 Def / 176 SpA / 244 Spe
ivs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot doubles Pansear's Special Attack and sets it up for a sweep. Fire Blast is a very powerful STAB option for Pansear and is almost essential on this set. Hidden Power Grass OHKOes a lot of common Pokemon like Omanyte and Onix, as well as 2HKOing other threats like Chinchou. Flame Charge helps Pansear set up even more and outspeed many foes, such as Diglett and common Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Chinchou and Magnemite. Substitute helps Pansear hide from status, avoid damage, and get down to Blaze's activation range.

Set Details
========

Pansear's Defense investment lets it take less than 1/2 from Mienfoo's Drain Punch and survive a lot of other physical moves easily. Pansear is given maximum Speed investment to reach a comfortable 17 Speed, which lets it outspeed much of the current metagame and Speed tie with common threats like Onix and Mienfoo. The rest goes into Special Attack along with 30 IVs to maintain Hidden Power Grass. As for items, Eviolite lets Pansear survive many more attacks, but it gives up some power, while Life Orb is used for more power at the cost of the extra bulk. Finally, Blaze is a great ability when used with Life Orb and/or Substitute because when Pansear has less than 1/3 HP, it gains an incredible Special Attack boost.

Usage Tips
========

Pansear should be used as a setup sweeper, meaning it should never be sacrificed early-game and shouldn't try to set up on big threats such as Diglett and Carvanha. On the same note, all threats should be defeated before setting up with Pansear. Setting up on weak Pokemon such as Spritzee is beneficial so Pansear doesn't get KOed before a sweep. All in all, giving up Pansear isn't a good idea unless the opponent has many counters to it.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types like Ferroseed and Foongus are good against Water-types that threaten Pansear, and Porygon takes care of Carvanha and some other common threats to Pansear. Entry hazard removers and hazard setters are important for keeping Pansear from being whittled down and simultaneously whittling down foes; Drilbur is great for this role. Fast Water-types check Rock-, Ground-, and sometimes even other Water-types. Gothita traps and removes common threats like Fletchling and Timburr, preventing them from being a threat to Pansear. As Pansear can break through a lot of walls, Pokemon such as Download Porygon and Corphish appreciate its help.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Flamethrower is a decent choice for its better accuracy, but it isn't recommended, as Pansear's low Special Attack makes Fire Blast almost always better. Taunt can be fairly decent for keeping Pansear from being setup fodder, but Pansear generally doesn't have room for it. Pansear also has a good physical movepool, but it isn't very threatening and is generally outclassed by Ponyta in that niche. Torment can also be used as a secondary option on a stall set because many Pokemon don't have two good moves to hit Pansear with, letting Pansear set up behind a Substitute. Toxic can also be used over Will-O-Wisp to deal with Pokemon that can counterstall Pansear with recovery, but Will-O-Wisp is usually more useful to help Pansear more effectively wall physical Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
=================
**Other Fire-types**: Since Pansear can't burn opposing Fire-types or really damage them at all, they can completely stop it. Houndour stands out in this regard because it can utilize Flash Fire to take a Fire-type move and answer back with a very powerful STAB Dark-type move, but all Fire-types should be dealt with before setting up. The only real exceptions to this are Larvesta and Ponyta, which Berry Juice Pansear almost completely walls.

**Pokemon with Reliable Recovery**: Any Pokemon that can survive a hit from Pansear and reliably reclaim their lost HP makes for a large threat to Pansear; the most prominent of these are Porygon, Spritzee, and Roost users like Vullaby and Archen.

**Specially Attacking Water-types**: Any Pokemon that can bring stall Pansear to just above the threshold for Berry Juice's activation and then finish it off with a powerful Water-type attack, such as Chinchou, or any Pokemon that can just OHKO Pansear such as Shell Smash Omanyte, will defeat it easily.

**Water-types with Priority**: Corphish's Aqua Jet and Carvanha's ability to easily revenge kill Pansear with a very powerful Waterfall make them both notable counters to Pansear. The latter is particularly threatening, as it can also use Pansear as fodder to accrue multiple Speed boosts for a sweep.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Special setup sweepers can use Pansear as setup fodder and OHKO it without caring about being burned by Will-O-Wisp. The most prominent of these include Omanyte and Nasty Plot users such as Houndour, Vullaby, and Croagunk.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi H0W3AN!
While I'm not a member of QC, I'm wondering what advantages np pansear has over any other setup sweeper. It seems to me that it gets a really poor movepool, is still not that powerful, and isn't especially fast. I kind of see the niche of the floon copy set, but if you could explain the advantages of NP Pansear, or the niche it fills, I would appreciate it.

Sorry Nineage! On a college tour with my brother this weekend so don't have time to get back to u on this! Will make a post about this on Monday or Tuesday when I'm fully back!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'll let it slide this time, but in the future the overview should be in point form too at this stage in the analysis writing process.

The sets need names at the top. (Make sure you follow the template in Berk's post VERY carefully. This is important, because otherwise your analysis will not upload properly.) In this case, you can call the first set "Recycle Stall" and the second set "Nasty Plot".

Recycle Stall:
Moves:
Make sure you spell out all of the moves, items, and Pokemon names properly, as we want the analyses to be as professional as possible. Will-O should be Will-O-Wisp. Sub should be Substitute.
Also, the phrase "OHKOed" is used instead of 1HKOd. Notice that it ends in "ed".
Recycle does not keep Pansear alive infinitely - it only keeps Pansear alive until its PP runs out.
Mention that Will-O-Wisp lets Pansear wall many physical attackers, such as Pawniard and Mienfoo without Taunt.
Mention that Substitute helps Pansear stall for more turns for Will-O-Wisp to wear the opponent down, blocks status, and lets Pansear more reliably activate Berry Juice.
Mention that Flame Charge helps Pansear outspeed Diglett in particular, as well as many Choice Scarf users.
Mention Knock Off as a possible alternative over Substitute or Flame Charge (you don't have to slash it in the actual set) to cripple bulkier Pokemon.
Set Details:
Make sure you're spelling all the Pokemon names out correctly!
Why is 16 Speed good? Explain that is outspeeds common Choice Scarf users such as Magnemite after Flame Charge, as well as Adamant Pawniard before Flame Charge.
Mention what the defensive EVs are for specifically. In this case, they let Pansear's Berry Juice outheal a burned LO Diglett's Earthquake, and survive Scarf Chinchou's Scald.
It seems obvious but explain what Berry Juice is used for; we're assuming the reader has no idea what this set does at all. (Stalling in conjunction with Recycle)/
Add another point mentioning an alternative EV spread of 132 Def / 132 SpD / 244 Spe to outspeed Jolly Pawniard.
Usage Tips:
Mention that Pansear completely walls Ponyta.
Mention that you should try to get a Flame Charge up if the opponent has a Diglett.
Mention using Substitute to activate Berry Juice to get back to full to survive certain attacks, such as burned LO Diglett's Earthquake, and to stall for Will-O-Wisp turns.
Mention that sometimes Pansear should use Will-O-Wisp early on a switch-in that can OHKO it and then switch out, and try to stall the enemy out with Recycle and Substitute the next time they switch in.
Don't mention the "should only be used for more advanced players", if they use a set more they'll improve eventually.
Team Options:
Mention Toxic Spikes so that Pansear won't have to waste a turn burning the enemy.
Mention Pokemon that appreciate Pansear spreading burns so that they can sweep more easily without worrying about powerful priority, such as Omanyte.

Nasty Plot:
Set:
Slash Eviolite before Life Orb as it better takes advantage of Pansear's better defensive typing compared to Houndour (Nineage that's why I approved it).
Slash Flame Charge before Substitute because of how much it helps against Choice Scarf users and Diglett.
Change Gluttony to Blaze.
Moves:
Again, make sure you're spelling all the Pokemon names out correctly!
Change the order of Substitute and Flame Charge points as per the set changes.
Set Details:
Switch the Life Orb and Eviolite points.
Mention that you're maxing Special Attack as far as the reduced IVs from Hidden Power Grass let you, and that the remaining EVs are dumped into Defense.
Usage Tips:
Pansear isn't really fast enough to revenge-kill much, so just say that it's a setup sweeper.
Don't say "normal nasty plot sweeper stuff" - explain what those things are. Pansear should set up Nasty Plot and potentially Flame Charge on weak Pokemon such as Spritzee late game and attempt to sweep.
Team Options:
Explain why bulky Grass-types are good teammates (opposing Water-types). Again, assume the reader is brand new.
Mention hazard setters, since they help Pansear get more KOs.
Mention that Gothita in particular can trap many troublesome priority users such as Fletchling and Timburr.

Strategy Comments:
Other Options:
These shouldn't be set-specific, just general things that weren't covered previously; set-specific options should be mentioned in the moves or set details sections of that set, but not slashed on the actual set (like what I said to do for Knock Off in the Recycle Stall set).
Say that Flamethrower is a decent STAB move for its accuracy, but Pansear's only decent Special Attack means that offensive sets will usually want Fire Blast.
Remove the other current Other Options, they aren't really worth using. Other Options is for moves that could work but are too niche to warrant mention in the rest of the analysis.
Checks and Counters:
These aren't formatted properly. Have a closer look at Berk's template. Remember that even things as minor as spacing matter when it comes to uploading the set.
Make sure all of these are in whole, grammatically correct sentences.
Make sure you give examples of specific Pokemon for each subsection!
Mention that the Recycle Stall set actually walls most variants of Ponyta. Mention that Houndour is an especially big threat because it may have Flash Fire and can hit Pansear with STAB Dark-type attacks. It's okay to mention Pokemon in multiple sections.
Add a section on fast and powerful Choice Scarf or priority users such as Mienfoo, Corphish, and Fletchling, as they can revenge-kill the Nasty Plot set.

I'll withhold the QC stamp until you've fully implemented it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Holy Crap you are thorough Levi! Anyways all changes implemented and it seems my main problem with this was that I thought this bullet part of making analyses was addressed to QC staff and that I had to make it new-user friendly when I did the write up. Tell me if it deserves QC 1/3 when you can! :D

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You're still missing set names! Make sure to add those in.
Recycle Stall:
Moves:
Substitute doesn't really help Pansear set up Flame Charge.
Set Details:
but they specificly live Chinchou Sclad -> and they specifically live Chinchou's Scald
Team Options:
Mention that Grass-types beat Water-types as well.
Explain why each of these teammates are helpful if you haven't already, e.g. a check to Cottonee is helpful as Cottonee can cripple Pansear with Encore.

Nasty Plot:
Set Details:
Eviolite isn't for a more defensively oriented Pansear, it just helps Pansear set up and makes it harder to revenge-kill.

Strategy COmments:
Other Options:
Add a point for Taunt, but mention that Pansear generally does not have room for it.
Mention that Pansear has a good physical movepool but it isn't immediately threatening.
Checks and Counters:
Don't forget to add a space in between each subsection.

Good work! Once the above is implemented, you can change the title to QC 1/3

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Recycle Stall Set:
I see no reason for this set to run 16 speed. After running through it with Levi, everything that you now tie with 15 speed loses to Pansear normally or just isn't that threatening to it. I suggest a spread of 212 Def / 212 SpD / 84 Spe with a Jolly Nature. This gives Pansear a bit more in the defenses to work with, while the 15 speed still allows you to outspeed all 14 speed choice scarfers and the entire unboosted metgame.
Mention somewhere that burning things allows you to tank stray hits better, as you might be able to survive behind a sub.
Mentioned that you are also walled by Ponyta, unless either of you are running Toxic.

Nasty Plot:
Probably shouldn't call it Sear.

Strategy Comments:
Mention that Torment can be used on the Recycle set, as it allows Pansear (after a burn), to tank hits. Many pokemon do not have two options to hit Pansear with, so hiding behind a sub becomes more viable.
Mention that Toxic allows you to hit the bulkier Pokemon in the "Recovery" section, but at the major cost of burns.

QC: 2/3

Ok I think I added all of that. So now I do the write up?

Btw I was also wondering if I should keep using Pokemon as the plural for Pokemon because it feels awkward to me.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
"Special Attack boost from it's ability" -> its
mention why other fire types outclass it (no flame body, and doesn't check fighters, naturally lower speed, generally offensively weak)

set
======
good

Moves
========

"Will-O-Wisp whittles down the opponent during Pansear's stall and makes Pansear a pretty good physical wall by halving opponent's physical Attack." I don't like how this is worded, it makes Pansear sound better than it is.
"Will-O-Wisp bu it struggles for a moveslot." -> but

Set Details
========

good

Usage Tips
========

mention avidly avoiding knock offs when you have not consumed the berry juice

Team Options
========
mention wallbreaks/general punishing mons for teammates, as you lose to pory and resttalk chou and munchlax. as far as I can tell this is limited to pawniard / scraggy for viable teammates. Cm goth too

set
====
good

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

"(mentioned in the Moves section of the Berry Juice set)" mention it here too

Set Details
========

good

Usage Tips
========

good enough

Team Options
========

other sweepers or other stuff that pansear can wallbreak for or will wallbreak for should be added. Thinking something along the lines of Fletch / Gastly / dl pory

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
fine

Checks and Counters
**Pokemon with good Recoveries**: If a Pokemon can recover all of its lost HP, then the Stall set is pointless. The most prominent of these are Porygon, Spritzee and Roost users like Fletchling, Vullaby, and Archen. -> this is worded very badly. make it "Pokemon with Reliable Recovery"

**Carvanha**:Carvanha's ability to easily revenge kill Pansear with a very powerful Waterfall and a +1 Speed boost is threatening to any Pansear and the only way Pansear's Berry Juice set can beat Carvanha is if it predicts a Protect and gets up a Substitute or if it already has a Flame Charge up and burns Carvanha. -> might as well make this Water-type priority to include Corphish, and then include this bit to expand on how Carvanha is an issue beyond just its potential to KO

3/3

Changes implemented! So now I look for GP checks? Sorry you guys kind of have to baby me through this cause I've never done it before. :/

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Although Pansear has above average stats and has gets a powerful Special Attack boost from it's its ability when taken down to 1/3 HP, it is largely significantly (or some other word since you say "largely" in the next sentence) held back by its poor movepool and below average attacking stats. It's also largely outclassed by other Fire-types, mainly Houndour. However, But, its bulk and ability to take on Fighting-types, as well as its ability to use a unique Berry Juice + Recycle set, gives it a small niche in competitive play.

Berry Juice Stall
Pansear @ Berry Juice
Ability: Blaze
Level: 5
EVs: 212 Def / 212 SpD / 84 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Recycle
- Will-O-Wis
- Flame Charge
- Substitute

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recycle replenishes Pansear's Berry Juice, (AC) keeping it alive until it runs out of PP given that Pansear if it isn't OHKOed or your move isn't predicted. Will-O-Wisp whittles down the opponent foe while during Pansear's stalls and makes Pansear a somewhat decent physical wall by halving the foe's opponent's physical Attack. Substitute cuts whittles down Pansear's own HP to activate Berry Juice, as well as letting it avoiding status and wearing down burnt Pokemon. Flame Charge gives it Pansear +1 Speed, (AC) letting it outspeed Diglett and common Choice Scarf users as well as giving it a good STAB move. (can you really call it a good STAB move? i mean it's not exactly strong) Knock Off could work over Substitute or Will-O-Wisp to cripple for crippling bulkier opponents foes, over Substitute or Will-O-Wisp but it struggles for a moveslot.

Set Details
========

This EV spread gives Pansear 15 Speed so it can outspeed common Choice Scarf threats as well as the entire unboosted metagame after a Flame Charge and the entire unboosted metagame. Its Defense and Special Defense stats also have enough investment to let it survive Fletchling's Acrobatics, Abra's Psychic, and Mienfoo's Drain Punch, and it they specifically live survives Chinchou's Scald and a burned Diglett's Earthquake,; (ASC) both of these which Pokemon are big threats to Pansear. Its ability, Blaze, gives it a very good power boost at under 1/3 HP but should not be taken advantage of much, as the whole point of the set is to keep Pansear at a high HP. Berry Juice and Recycle are used in conjunction to stall the opponent out by continually restoring all Pansear to full health until the foe faints or runs out of options with Berry Juice's large heal of 20 HP and through that stalling opponents down until they are either dead, or out of options. 132 Def / 132 SpD / 244 Spe with a Jolly nature is also a good alternate spread to run to outspeed Jolly Pawniard, (AC) but it isn't recommended

Usage Tips
========

Never switch in Pansear to a Knock Off user due to it negating Recycle and therefore the entire set. On the same note, However, if Pansear has consumed its Berry Juice and is faster than the opponent's Pokemon, then it can easily use Recycle, allowing it to take a Knock Off and letting it not need to worry about losing its important item. It is also recommended to use Pansear late-game when the enemy team has taken a bit of chip damage. Futhermore, Pansear completely walls Ponyta, though it but is also walled by it if neither has Toxic. Getting up a Flame Charge is always a very good idea if the opponent has Diglett. Using Substitute to activate Berry Juice and get back to full HP so Pansear can survive certain attacks such as a burned Life Orb Diglett's Earthquake is usually beneficial. Finally, (AC) Pansear can sometimes use Will-O-Wisp on the switch-in of a Pokemon that can OHKO it so it if later in the game Pansear can stall out said Pokemon when it tries to stop it later in the game.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types like Ferroseed and Foongus beat Ground- and Water- types that threaten Pansear, (AC) as do fast Water-types like Choice Scarf Chinchou. Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users also help Pansear get in the field a beneficial switch. Furthermore, Cottonee checks are also very useful, (AC) as Pansear hates being Taunted; (ASC) and Fletchling fills both of these roles quite well. Entry hazard removers such as Vullaby and Drilbur stop Pansear from being whittled down every time it switches in while hazards are up. Toxic Spikes users can help Pansear stall by making sure it doesn't have to waste a turn using Will-O-Wisp, although they decrease the effectiveness of Pansear as a physical tank. Pokemon that can punish big threats like Porygon, such as Pawniard or and Scraggy, generally make good teamates for Pansear. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate the burning of common threats like Omanyte or and other setup sweepers like the support from Pansear.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot is used, as the main function of this set, to doubles Pansear's Special Attack and sets it up for a sweep. Fire Blast is a very powerful STAB option for Pansear and is almost essential on this set. Hidden Power Grass OHKOes a lot of common Pokemon like Omanyte and Onix, as well as 2HKOing other threats like Chinchou. Flame Charge helps Pansear set up even more and outspeed many foes, things such as Diglett and common Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Chinchou and Magnemite. Substitute helps Pansear hide from status, avoid damage, (AC) and get it down to Blaze's activation range HP percentage.

Set Details
========

Pansear's Defense investment lets it take less than 1/2 form from Mienfoo's Drain Punch and lives survive a lot of other physical moves easily. Pansear's is given maximum Speed investment to reach sitting it at a comfortable 17 Speed, (AC) which lets it outspeed much of the current metagame and Speed tie with common threats like Onix and Mienfoo. Furthermore, Max Special Attack is used far as it can with Hidden Power Grass IVs. The rest goes into Special Attack along with 30 IVs to maintain Hidden Power Grass. As for items, Eviolite lets Pansear live survive many more attacks, but it gives up some slightly more power, while Life Orb is used for more power at the cost of the extra bulk. Finally, Blaze is a great ability for both of Pansear's item choices (how does it work well with Eviolite?) and with Substitute because when Pansear has less than 1/3 HP, it gains an incredible Special Attack boost.

Usage Tips
========

Pansear should be used as a setup sweeper, meaning it should never be sacrificed early-game, (RC) and shouldn't try to set up on big threats such as Diglett or and Carvanha. On the same note, all threats should be defeated before setting up with Pansear it. Setting up on weak Pokemon such as Spritzee is beneficial so Pansear doesn't get KOed die before a sweep. All in all, giving up Pansear isn't a good idea unless the opponent has many counters to it.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types like Ferroseed and Foongus are good against Water-types that threaten Pansear, and Porygon takes care of Carvanha and some other common threats to Pansear. Entry hazard removers and hazard setters are important for keeping Pansear from being whittled down and simultaneously whittling down foes opponents. Drilbur is great for this role. Fast Water-types check Rock-, Ground-, and sometimes even other Water-types. Gothita traps and removes common threats like Fletchling and Timburr, preventing and removes them from being a threat to Pansear. As Pansear can break through a lot a lot of walls, Pokemon such as Download Porygon and Corphish appreciate its help.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Flamethrower is a decent choice for its better accuracy, but it isn't recommended, (AC) as Pansear's low Special Attack makes Fire Blast almost always better. Taunt can be fairly decent for keeping Pansear from being setup fodder, but Pansear generally doesn't have room for it. Pansear also has a good physical movepool, but it isn't very threatening and is generally outclassed by Ponyta in that niche. Torment can also be used as a secondary option on a stall set because as many Pokemon don't have two good moves to hit Pansear with, letting so Pansear can set up behind a Substitute. Toxic can also be used over Will-O-Wisp to deal with Pokemon who that can counterstall Pansear with recovery, but Will-O-Wisp is usually more useful to help Pansear more effectively wall physical Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Other Fire-types**: Since Pansear can't burn opposing Fire-types or really damage them at all, they can completely stop it. Houndour stands out in this regard because it can utilize Flash Fire to take a Fire-type move and answer back with a very powerful STAB Dark type move, but all Fire-types should be dealt with before setting up. The only real exceptions to this are Larvesta and Ponyta, (AC) which Berry Juice Pansear almost completely walls.

**Pokemon with Reliable Recovery**: Any Pokemon that can survive a hit from Pansear and reliably reclaim their lost HP makes for a large threat to Pansear; (ASC) the most prominent of these are Porygon, Spritzee, (AC) and Roost users like Vullaby and Archen.

**Specially Attacking Water-types**: Any Pokemon that can bring stall Pansear to just above the threshold for Berry Juice's activation and then finish it off with a powerful Water-type attack, (AC) such as Chinchou, or any Pokemon that can just OHKO Pansear such as Shell Smash Omanyte, will defeat it Pansear easily.

**Water-types with Priority**: Corphish's Aqua Jet and Carvanha's ability to easily revenge kill Pansear with a very powerful Waterfall both make them both for large counters to Pansear. The latter of which is particularly threatening, (AC) as it can also use Pansear as fodder to accrue set up multiple Speed boosts for a sweep.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Special setup sweepers can use Pansear as setup fodder and OHKO it Pansear without caring about being burned by Will-O-Wisp and can use Pansear as set-up fodder. The most prominent of these includes Omanyte and Nasty Plot users such as Houndour, Vullaby, and Croagunk.

Last edited:

Rare Poison

if im butter then ur a hot knife
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

add/change; remove; (comment); (AC) = add comma; (RC) = remove comma
[OVERVIEW]

Although Pansear has above average stats and gets a powerful Special Attack boost from its ability when taken down to 1/3 HP, it is significantly held back by its poor movepool and below average attacking stats. It's also largely outclassed by other Fire-types, mainly Houndour. However, its bulk and ability to take on Fighting-types, as well as its ability to use a unique Berry Juice + Recycle set, gives it a small niche in competitive play.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Recycle replenishes Pansear's Berry Juice, keeping it alive until it runs out of PP given that Pansear isn't OHKOed or your move isn't predicted. Will-O-Wisp whittles down the foe while Pansear stalls and makes Pansear a somewhat decent physical wall by halving the foe's Attack. Substitute cuts Pansear's own HP to activate Berry Juice, as well as letting it avoid status and wearing wear down burnt burned Pokemon. Flame Charge gives Pansear +1 Speed, letting it outspeed Diglett and common Choice Scarf users as well as giving it a good STAB move. Knock Off could work over Substitute or Will-O-Wisp to cripple bulkier foes, but it struggles for a moveslot.

Set Details
========

This EV spread gives Pansear 15 Speed so it can outspeed common Choice Scarf threats as well as the entire unboosted metagame after a Flame Charge. Its Defense and Special Defense stats also have enough investment to let it survive Fletchling's Acrobatics, Abra's Psychic, and Mienfoo's Drain Punch, and it specifically survives Chinchou's Scald and a burned Diglett's Earthquake; both of these Pokemon are big threats to Pansear. Its ability, Blaze, gives it a very good power boost at under 1/3 HP but should not be taken advantage of much, as the whole point of the set is to keep Pansear at a high HP. Berry Juice and Recycle are used in conjunction to stall the opponent out by continually restoring Pansear to full health until the foe faints or runs out of options. 132 Def / 132 SpD / 244 Spe with a Jolly nature is also a good alternate spread to run to outspeed Jolly Pawniard, but it isn't recommended. (period)

Usage Tips
========

Never switch in Pansear to a Knock Off user due to it negating Recycle and therefore the entire set. However, if Pansear has consumed its Berry Juice and is faster than the opponent's Pokemon, then it can easily use Recycle, allowing it to take a Knock Off and not worry about losing its important item. It is also recommended to use Pansear late-game when the enemy team has taken a bit of chip damage. Futhermore, Pansear completely walls Ponyta, though it is also walled by it if neither has Toxic. Getting up a Flame Charge is always a very good idea if the opponent has Diglett. Using Substitute to activate Berry Juice and get back to full HP so Pansear can survive certain attacks such as a burned Life Orb Diglett's Earthquake is usually beneficial. Finally, Pansear can sometimes use Will-O-Wisp on the switch of a Pokemon that can OHKO it so it can stall out said Pokemon_later (space) in the game.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types like Ferroseed and Foongus beat Ground- and Water- types that threaten Pansear, as do fast Water-types like Choice Scarf Chinchou. Slow U-turn or Volt Switch users also help Pansear get in the field. Furthermore, Cottonee checks are very useful, as Pansear hates being Taunted; Fletchling fills both of these roles quite well. Entry hazard removers such as Vullaby and Drilbur stop Pansear from being whittled down every time it switches in while hazards are up. Toxic Spikes users can help Pansear stall by making sure it doesn't have to waste a turn using Will-O-Wisp, although they decrease the effectiveness of Pansear as a physical tank. Pokemon that can punish big threats like Porygon, such as Pawniard and Scraggy, generally make good teamates teammates for Pansear. Finally, Pokemon that appreciate the burning of common threats like Omanyte and other setup sweepers like the support from Pansear.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Nasty Plot doubles Pansear's Special Attack and sets it up for a sweep. Fire Blast is a very powerful STAB option for Pansear and is almost essential on this set. Hidden Power Grass OHKOes a lot of common Pokemon like Omanyte and Onix, as well as 2HKOing other threats like Chinchou. Flame Charge helps Pansear set up even more and outspeed many foes, such as Diglett and common Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Chinchou and Magnemite. Substitute helps Pansear hide from status, avoid damage, and get down to Blaze's activation range.

Set Details
========

Pansear's Defense investment lets it take less than 1/2 from Mienfoo's Drain Punch and_survive (space) a lot of other physical moves easily. Pansear is given maximum Speed investment to reach a comfortable 17 Speed, which lets it outspeed much of the current metagame and Speed tie with common threats like Onix and Mienfoo. The rest goes into Special Attack along with 30 IVs to maintain Hidden Power Grass. As for items, Eviolite lets Pansear survive many more attacks, but it gives up some power, while Life Orb is used for more power at the cost of the extra bulk. Finally, Blaze is a great ability when used with Life Orb and/or with Substitute because when Pansear has less than 1/3 HP, it gains an incredible Special Attack boost.

Usage Tips
========

Pansear should be used as a setup sweeper, meaning it should never be sacrificed early-game and shouldn't try to set up on big threats such as Diglett and Carvanha. On the same note, all threats should be defeated before setting up with Pansear. Setting up on weak Pokemon such as Spritzee is beneficial so Pansear doesn't get KOed before a sweep. All in all, giving up Pansear isn't a good idea unless the opponent has many counters to it.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types like Ferroseed and Foongus are good against Water-types that threaten Pansear, and Porygon takes care of Carvanha and some other common threats to Pansear. Entry hazard removers and hazard setters are important for keeping Pansear from being whittled down and simultaneously whittling down foes. (remove period) ; (semicolon) Drilbur is great for this role. Fast Water-types check Rock-, Ground-, and sometimes even other Water-types. Gothita traps and removes common threats like Fletchling and Timburr, preventing and removes them from being a threat to Pansear. As Pansear can break through a lot of walls, Pokemon such as Download Porygon and Corphish appreciate its help.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Flamethrower is a decent choice for its better accuracy, but it isn't recommended, as Pansear's low Special Attack makes Fire Blast almost always better. Taunt can be fairly decent for keeping Pansear from being setup fodder, but Pansear generally doesn't have room for it. Pansear also has a good physical movepool, but it isn't very threatening and is generally outclassed by Ponyta in that niche. Torment can also be used as a secondary option on a stall set because many Pokemon don't have two good moves to hit Pansear with, letting Pansear set up behind a Substitute. Toxic can also be used over Will-O-Wisp to deal with Pokemon that can counterstall Pansear with recovery, but Will-O-Wisp is usually more useful to help Pansear more effectively wall physical Pokemon.

Checks and Counters
=================
**Other Fire-types**: Since Pansear can't burn opposing Fire-types or really damage them at all, they can completely stop it. Houndour stands out in this regard because it can utilize Flash Fire to take a Fire-type move and answer back with a very powerful STAB Dark-type (hyphen) move, but all Fire-types should be dealt with before setting up. The only real exceptions to this are Larvesta and Ponyta, which Berry Juice Pansear almost completely walls.

**Pokemon with Reliable Recovery**: Any Pokemon that can survive a hit from Pansear and reliably reclaim their lost HP makes for a large threat to Pansear; the most prominent of these are Porygon, Spritzee, and Roost users like Vullaby and Archen.

**Specially Attacking Water-types**: Any Pokemon that can bring stall Pansear to just above the threshold for Berry Juice's activation and then finish it off with a powerful Water-type attack, such as Chinchou, or any Pokemon that can just OHKO Pansear such as Shell Smash Omanyte, will defeat it easily.

**Water-types with Priority**: Corphish's Aqua Jet and Carvanha's ability to easily revenge kill Pansear with a very powerful Waterfall make them both large notable counters to Pansear. The latter is particularly threatening, as it can also use Pansear as fodder to accrue multiple Speed boosts for a sweep.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Special setup sweepers can use Pansear as setup fodder and OHKO it without caring about being burned by Will-O-Wisp. The most prominent of these include Omanyte and Nasty Plot users such as Houndour, Vullaby, and Croagunk.

nice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)