Pokémon GO

A question: Let's suppose I've caught a perfect Magikarp at level 1, and when I evolve it, it has perfect moveset. If I power it up with stardusts to get, say, to level 20, will it be as strong as a level 20 Gyarados I caught while at level 20? And if I keep powering it up, will it be as strong at level 30 as if I had caught it at level 30?
It would cost a ton of stardust and candy to power up a level 1 mon to 20 or 30, but it would be just as strong as a perfect magikarp with the same moveset caught at the level you powered up the level 1 karp to.

It would cost a ton of stardust and candy to power up a level 1 mon to 20 or 30, but it would be just as strong as a perfect magikarp with the same moveset caught at the level you powered up the level 1 karp to.
Ok, thanks. That was my doubt. I know it would take a lot, and it was just an extreme example. I'm at level 17 right now, and I actually have a pretty good Golduck (24/30 atk, 15 stamina) with Confusion and Hydro Pump, and I read somewhere it was a really good mon to have while I can't get that really good Vaporeon, so I'm actually thinking about powering it up. Should I wait a little longer before doing it?

Ok, thanks. That was my doubt. I know it would take a lot, and it was just an extreme example. I'm at level 17 right now, and I actually have a pretty good Golduck (24/30 atk, 15 stamina) with Confusion and Hydro Pump, and I read somewhere it was a really good mon to have while I can't get that really good Vaporeon, so I'm actually thinking about powering it up. Should I wait a little longer before doing it?
I powered up three pokemon before hitting late 20s (jolteon, snorlax, lapras) and in retrospect I regret powering up all of them. at the very least you should wait until 20 because there is a minor bump in the exp curve there, so it's a soft cap for casual players. if you play quite a bit I would recommend waiting until mid/late 20s to have a good idea of what's rare and what you can catch in the wild without too much hassle. HOWEVER - perhaps you will get more short-term enjoyment out of leveling up a pokemon or two than I did, if you really desperately want to take down some pokemon in gyms or if a pokemon is your favorite. but generally it is probably not worth the opportunity cost.

but don't power up that golduck unless you really love it for sentimental reasons. confusion is really bad for attacking because it's got a long animation. water gun/hydro pump is the moveset that's recommended as a poor man's vaporeon

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I disagree with the third Pokémon rule. You're basically killing yourself for the rest of the team. The gym will raise to level 10, your Magikarp will be the first thing kicked out, another teammate puts his Pokémon.
Congrats, you are the reason your team got that level 10 gym. But you can't claim your coins/stardust.

While the other two rules are basic courtesy and needs to be followed, the first one is just letting the other people benefits the gym instead of you.

That's why I am suggesting here an alternative, which is better for you and just as good for the team:

I personally put a great Pokémon (great as much as my level allows it, I'm 26 but my best Pokémon is 1k8 Poliwrath ;_;) then raise the gym to [next level -500]. That way, the next person will still have an easy time adding a new Pokémon (and can even puts up your Magikarp shenanigan if he wants). But on the other hand, he needs to be able to train the team once, to take the time to defeat my Poliwrath, so he has the ressource to be at least decent in dissuading the other teams from taking the gym over.

I agree with the third Pokemon rule in general: don't leave a fucking Snorlax or Lapras on the bottom. But I think Vinc's solution is better than leaving a really low dude for two reasons. First, the one he covered. Second, many people won't have a Pokemon of the right CP/moveset to take down random low CP dudes you put in, so it could actually hinder their training. So: if I leave something in the third slot, it'll usually be a random 1400-2000 Flareon. This helps to keep your Pokemon around the middle of the gym (if it's not stacked) so you won't get kicked out immediately. But at the same time, everyone has a ~1000 CP prestige Pokemon with water gun so you're not blocking training. I think pretty much anything with a healthy CP and a weakness to water is a good choice for the third Pokemon in a gym.

Note that if you're the third person and the existing members of the gym are a 2000 Snorlax and 1000 Lapras, putting in a 1800 Flareon does not help.

The Bubble Rule

If someone on your team takes 30 minutes out of their day to bubble a gym to 50000/50000, don't put a fucking Arbok into the gym if you're a lvl 29 player. But if you're lvl 10 and never get a chance at getting in into a high level gym, knock yourself out.

people just slap the biggest thing they have in gyms, level 6 gym nearby, but the defender is strong with good moveset so cant use the lower CP pokemon to get the prestige needed.
doesnt have to be low though, I can nail things like exeggutor with 400 cp lower parasect, or a twister Gyarados with Electabuzz 500 CP lower.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can't connect to PoGo with my mobile network anymore. Online answers to this problem suggested to check if PoGo, Google App store, and Google services have their background data restricted, but according to my phone, they're not.

I can browse the internet just fine with my mobile data, but for PoGo, I need Wifi to both start the app and keep the connection, turning off the Wifi while playing only makes the game unable to update the environment.

Another answer suggested to connection to someone's mobile hotspot, so I can try that later today, but for now, anyone that has encountered the same issue before? Using an Android phone, Samsung Galaxy S6.

Edit: Could apparently be fixed by limiting my phone to the 3G network instead of the usual 4G. Weird.

Last edited:
I own iPhone 5S. Well, since last update, it seems like it often force closes, especially on dire times or while I research my Pokemon's IV and do storage cleanup. Anyone has this problem too?

This is getting annoying. I saw the reviews and they're at it again. Influx of bad reviews due to this problem. At least it wasn't a problem in my own phone; she's still pretty new.

The second rule particularly is why I quit before. I have had times when there are some lazy twat taking my slot just as I was done burning my potions. I restarted and haven't chosen any team ever since. It's no use when member of same team can still f___ you over just as you're done training hard. Member of same team is just as much enemies as rival teams, if not worse.

(actually, restarted because my tablet broke *cries in corner* and forgot password of first account, forgot it anyway. Still....)

I have heard that some Ingress players say that sniping empty gym or gym slots is usual thing in Ingress, but I am inclined to disagree since while Niantic may or may not intend that to be exploitable like in Ingress, Pokemon is a whole different world/fanbase with more etiquette.

And nothing is more painful than facing bubble Poliwrath in the training stage. At least I had something to face Snorlax, but not this....
One day I'll return and donate my Magikarps and train it with some other lower things to quickly build high gyms for others. But not until I have decent teams and few permanent spots in other gyms first. The first rule is indeed to be a martyr for others in the same team... who may like to return the favour by being a jackass and snipe slots instead if you hadn't done the saintly deed.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I just merged the etiquette thread with the other Pokémon Go thread. No reason to have two separate threads for it, in addition to the viability rankings thread.

great wasted a stupid number of balls on a golbat because the throwing system sucks.
making use of these new spawnpoints next to the house.. new nest changes suck though

great wasted a stupid number of balls on a golbat because the throwing system sucks.
making use of these new spawnpoints next to the house.. new nest changes suck though
Don't waste your time (and PokéBalls) with Golbats.

They are essentially useless right now, they give off the same number of candies as Zubats and are a pain to catch. Unless they have a really high CP, ignore their very existence.

Edit: By the way, is Vileplume any good? I have a 91% 13-15-13 and a 93% 12-15-15 Oddish.

Last edited:
i can usually catch Zubat with a curveball, its actually good exp.
i'm actually getting these for dust.
although i'm not impressed that 75%+ capture stuff has escaped from ball and ran today, as one was exeggcute and I never see those :(
Vileplume is fairly decent, never tried one but fought one in a gym.
I have some low CP decent things i really need.. Cloyster and Pidgeot with best movesets.
but have a few higher CP things like Golem and Gengar.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, it has Petal Blizzard instead.
Which is great as a defender grass move user, since the IA uses two bars energy moves better than one bar ones.

But it still looks like a poor man's Venusaur. Otherwise, it can do pretty much the same job.

it has all of moonblast, petal blizzard and solarbeam as third moves

PB for defense, solar beam for offense. i have a perfect iv one with sola beam and razor leaf which is my primary waterkiller, since there are nowhere near enough bulbasaurs around me to get a venusaur (even then i'd probably roll sludge bomb...)

yes that thing can defend gyms.
Poor mans Venusaur... but actually obtainable, Bulbasaur and charmander spawns around here are slim to none, especially since the latest nest changes which seems to have changed my local charmander spawn into Squirtle.. which spawns far more often.
but of course.. there is always Victreebel

PsychicAcademic said:
I own iPhone 5S. Well, since last update, it seems like it often force closes, especially on dire times or while I research my Pokemon's IV and do storage cleanup. Anyone has this problem too?

This is getting annoying. I saw the reviews and they're at it again. Influx of bad reviews due to this problem. At least it wasn't a problem in my own phone; she's still pretty new.
Yeah, I've had this happen quite a few times as well. Mine's an iPhone 6 and it's happened multiple times while tapping on a gym. Hopefully they will patch it soon.

yes that thing can defend gyms.
Poor mans Venusaur... but actually obtainable, Bulbasaur and charmander spawns around here are slim to none, especially since the latest nest changes which seems to have changed my local charmander spawn into Squirtle.. which spawns far more often.
but of course.. there is always Victreebel
Bellsprouts are a rare thing around here. The weed mon is more common and I actually hatched three in the same day.

I've actually seen Bulbasaur quite a few times on my college campus. Squirtle has shown up on my radar, but I've never actually encountered it. Charmanders are non-existent lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)