Tournament Chessmons Tournament [Won by Fighter Noobs (Megazard, Thimo)]

My advice for the rules here would be to keep the original chessmons rules as a base.

Then only do any rule changes at the start for each week. It will make it easier for everyone involved to keep track of changes.

For example with a rule like:
-Teams must be comprised of 2 Rooks, 3 Bishops, and 1 King.

It may not be as desirable to have Bishops able to evolve. In such a case it's looking even more like the current OU and UU. While in other formats (like normal chessmon) it could be a cool feature for such a rule to exist.

My advice for the rules here would be to keep the original chessmons rules as a base.

Then only do any rule changes at the start for each week. It will make it easier for everyone involved to keep track of changes.

For example with a rule like:
-Teams must be comprised of 2 Rooks, 3 Bishops, and 1 King.

It may not be as desirable to have Bishops able to evolve. In such a case it's looking even more like the current OU and UU. While in other formats (like normal chessmon) it could be a cool feature for such a rule to exist.
iirc, that is exactly what we are doing. We do rule changes at the beginning of each week. Is there something I am missing?

iirc, that is exactly what we are doing. We do rule changes at the beginning of each week. Is there something I am missing?
I don't think you're missing anything, I think he's the one missing something. The original chessmons rules are a base; however, things such as monotype chessmons would be implemented at the beginning of the week. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Yeah. I'm the one in the wrong here. I thought the previous discussions was about changing the base rules permanently.

I like the idea of a ubers knight, but wouldn't that be sort of restraining as well? (Greninja + Blaziken is practically it iirc).
Yeah, I didn't think to check that until now. This rule would only affect the pairs of Torchic/Blaziken, Froakie/Greninja, and you forgot about Honedge/Aegislash, so it's almost as limiting as my Ubers King idea.

Last edited:
For a prize idea, how about promotions in the Chess Room :P
We were considering that, but that would mean A. The whole team would have to be promoted, and B. You might get pissed off at your partner (something that we hope will never happen).

Either way, this idea is in beta mode, so that might be the prize for the next tour. This time, it might just be a shoutout or an advantage for the next tourney (again, not decided yet).

I've got several ideas for rules:

- No EVs or IVs and a neutral nature
~ I just thought of this in the shower​
- Your Queen must be a CAP pokemon
~ Because there is only one mega in cap, most people would end up using mega kings​
- Your King must be a pokemon with "king" in it's name
~ A list off the top of my head: (Nidoking, Kingler, Seaking, Slowking, Kingdra, or Slaking)​
- All pokemon in the team must have relating moves
~ Dance moves would count as relating
~ Pulse moves would count as relating
~ Song moves would count as relating
~ Ect.​
- Chessmons Doubles
~ Tier System is different from Singles Tier System
~ I recommend use of the Pokemon Tiers for doubles rather than singles​

Last edited:
I've got several ideas for rules:
- No EVs or IVs and a neutral nature
~ I just thought of this in the shower
- Your Queen must be a CAP pokemon
~ Because there is only one mega in cap, most people would end up using mega kings
- Your King must be a pokemon with "king" in it's name
~ A list off the top of my head: (Nidoking, Kingler, Seaking, Slowking, Kingdra, or Slaking)
- All pokemon in the team must have relating moves
~ Dance moves would count as relating
~ Pulse moves would count as relating
~ Song moves would count as relating
~ Ect.
- No EVs or IVs and a neutral nature - that's not going to work, because there is no way to legitimately prove it...

- Your Queen must be a CAP pokemon - most people don't play CAP, and there's no reason for them to learn it. Unfortunately, I don't this will work either.

- Your King must be a pokemon with "king" in it's name - I actually really like this idea! It is pretty funny, and there is no really great king. blalib check this one out!

- All pokemon in the team must have relating moves - That's gonna be impossible...six pokemon with all of the same type of moves? That's way too restraining unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions Alievew. I hope you understand what I mean, and if I made a mistake please correct me. Thank you.

- No EVs or IVs and a neutral nature - that's not going to work, because there is no way to legitimately prove it...

- Your Queen must be a CAP pokemon - most people don't play CAP, and there's no reason for them to learn it. Unfortunately, I don't this will work either.

- Your King must be a pokemon with "king" in it's name - I actually really like this idea! It is pretty funny, and there is no really great king. blalib check this one out!

- All pokemon in the team must have relating moves - That's gonna be impossible...six pokemon with all of the same type of moves? That's way too restraining unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions Alievew. I hope you understand what I mean, and if I made a mistake please correct me. Thank you.
Well, with my same type of moves thing, I was thinking that each pokemon only had to have one move that was related to all the others, but I guess it is kinda really restraining, so...

Also, I've got another idea that I added to my last post :P

I like the idea of Chessmons Doubles; it's a pretty extreme mechanics change, but it'd be fun to see what it's like having basically a completely new meta that no one's ever played before for that one battle. We'd have to clarify the rules on HypnoGravity though

Also I'd like to add my own idea for a rules change: The King is any OU-legal mega. This opens up a lot of possibilities when teambuilding, since you don't have to force a pseudo onto every team. Plus, maybe things like Mega Scizor and Mega Diancie will finally start seeing some usage.

And some more random, less thought-out ideas:

- Instead of being Uber, the Queen can be a lower-tier mon with benefits corresponding to a certain OM, i.e. an OU legal in STABmons or a UU legal in BH. Just in case dealing with queens wasn't hard enough already :]

- Everything gets moved to its LC equivalent, i.e. Queen is LC Ubers, Rook is LC, Bishop is LC UU, King is maybe BST 360 since there are three mons of about equal viability with that BST, and something new for pawn and knight. Basically my reasoning for this is to make the pawn slightly less useless, although it might be an issue making the meta not revolve around Gligar

- Chessmons Doubles
~ Tier System is different from Singles Tier System
~ I recommend use of the Pokemon Tiers for doubles rather than singles​
I was going to suggest that one. :/

I've been thinking of some other formats and OMs that we could play Chessmons in as the weekly rules. Here's what I came up with:
  • 1v1: This would require some additional rules:
    • Each match would be best two out of three battles, not just one, so that you can't easily win just by getting lucky.
    • Teams would consist of something like one Rook, one Pawn, and one Knight.
      • This is the most balanced set of three Chessmons roles I could think of without repeats, since Bishops would suffer and Queens would be too OP. Alternatively, you could require the three mons to have the same role, i.e. three Rooks or three Bishops. You could even make the rules slightly different for each one of the three battles. Whatever you decide, keep in mind that there's no use requiring a King here because you might not even use it.
    • Competitors may not bring the same team to more than one battle within the same match. The more I think about this rule, the more I begin to think it may not be necessary.
      A version of this rule that would be easy to enforce would be: The Pokémon that a competitor brings to any battle cannot be of the same species and form as the Pokémon that he or she brought to any previous battles within that match. For the sake of this rule, Arceus, Genesect, Pokémon whose forms are purely aesthetic differences, and Pokémon that change forms during battle do not count as having multiple forms.

For example, under this rule, you can bring Wash Rotom to one battle and Heat Rotom to a different battle in the same match, but you cannot do the same thing with, Meloetta, which changes form in battle, or Furfrou, which only has aesthetic differences. If we decide to do it this way, I'll provide a full list of what counts and what doesn't.

I did my best to phrase this rule so that a competitor would be permitted to bring more than one Pokémon of the same species and form to one battle if Species Clause were not applied, since 1v1 does not normally have species clause. However, in this tournament, I would apply Species Clause to each individual battle for the sake of variety.
  • Inverse Battle: Pretty straightforward, but turns teambuilding on its head. Have fun trying to KO a Multiscale Dragonite with an Ice-type move now lol.
  • 2v2 Doubles: Unlike 1v1, I would only impose the following relatively simple rules:
    • Teams must include a King, and each competitor must send out their King to battle. The idea is that the King's ally is compelled to protect it at all costs. As usual, the battle ends when the King faints.
    • Again, I suggest that each team should have one Pawn, one Knight, and one Rook, in addition to the King, but this is open to suggestions.
    • Unlike 1v1, it makes sense to have just one battle per match, not best two out of three.
That's what I've got for ideas right now. Sorry the 1v1 part is so long, but my idea for it got really complicated (I tend to be notorious for that in many places).

Chessmons Tourney
*With a Twist*

Prize:
A Cookie (made by PenQuin) or something else to be determined.
For a prize idea, how about promotions in the Chess Room :P
At some point, blalib, you said in the Chess Room chat that the prize might be room voice or something, which is exactly what I meant by promotions.

EDIT: At least, I think it was blalib who mentioned it; I may be wrong.

Last edited:
I'm kinda the one who came up with the idea of Chessmons doubles in the first place, so you'd have just been copying off my idea anyway :P
Oh, I had never heard anything about Chessmons Doubles before I saw that you had already posted it on this thread, so if I had posted it here first, I legitimately would not have known that I would have been basically plagiarizing. In that case, I guess it's better that it happened this way instead of happening in a way that would have gotten more people angry.

Sign-ups will end Wednesday September 28 at 6:00 EST.
If you want to join but do not have a partner please contact me ASAP.
Also if you team wants a name make sure that is decided before 6:00!
Best of luck to all!

Other questions please contact me.

In with Harambaethot
Team name : "HarambePAYdforoursins
Once again, making sure that IronicDouble (‽) sees this entry and puts it on the list, although I'm looking at the name and thinking: Why?

Also, I've been thinking of suggesting Chessmons Triples, but — I don't do triples much so I might be wrong — the Ubers tier in both Smogon Triples and Battle Spot Triples is mostly a banlist (seems that the only Pokémon listed as Ubers in the Teambuilder in the Triples modes that are legal are Mega Salamence and Shaymin-Sky), so we'd have to tweak the Queen rules a little if we were to go by the Triples Tiers similar to how we're doing Chessmons Doubles based on the Doubles Tiers.

Last edited:
Commander Awesome and teateater are a team.

Team name: The Wobbuffets
In with Zyo . Team name: Rice Lightning and Co.
Okay, IronicDouble (‽), there's practically no way you don't already know the purpose of me posting this. However, there is a chance that you're thinking "Thank goodness the sign-up deadline is today so this scrub will stop bothering me." :P

On a more general note...
Chessmons Tourney
*With a Twist*

Rules about winning!
If BOTH members of your team WIN: Your team gets 5 points.
If ONE member of your team LOSES: Your team gets 2 points
If BOTH members of your team LOSE: Your team gets 0 points.
With points players can purchase items from the store to sabotage their opponent the follow week.

Items can only be used once and apply to both players of the team. ONLY ONE ITEM PER WEEK.
Please state your teams purchase and whether you are using an item for the week BEFORE the battling starts.
Items and points carry over to the playoffs!

Store:
Item:
------------- (Cost)
Sticky Barbs: Make your opponent have one Pokemon with this item (7)

Knight-> Rook: Can replace a knight with a rook (12)

Lv 90's: Force your opponent to have all lv 90's (20)

No Mega No Primal Fun: Opponent cant use megas or primals (15)

Force you and your opponent to battle in regular chessmons (12)

Full complete preview of your opponents team before the battle begins! (22)

Only you can use choice items for the battle (12)

Forces your opponent not to use any of their items (on their pokemon) this week (22)

Flying away: Force opponent to use an air balloon as an item for one Pokemon of their choice seems simple but is annoying (2)

Very Berry! opponent can not use any berries through out the battle
(2)

Double Coins: Your team gets double the coins this week. (3)

Poke Flute: No sleep moves allowed by EITHER team for this battle. (2)

Cookie: May have a use may not but its a cookie one per team (2)
*Must be purchased before week 2 or it will get stale... we do not like stale cookies!

Finals:
Last two teams do best out of three final battle of Regular Chessmons. Ghosting is allowed between the teams. No Items allowed! Make sure to use all items before final battle!
I should have mentioned this earlier, but we're probably going to end up with some confusion between the "Items" you can buy from the store for sabotage and the Held Items used in regular battles. A likely chance for confusion is the "no items" rule for the final battle (for this one I'm fairly certain you meant that Store Items won't be allowed and Held Items will be fine), as well as the following store item that I'd like some clarification on:
Forces your opponent not to use any of their items (on their pokemon) this week (22)
The ambiguous wording of the description of this Store Item leaves room for debate over whether the items it prevents your opponent from using are Held Items or Store Items. Again, I would presume that it's referring to Held Items, but this should definitely be clarified before the tournament begins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)