ORAS OU Mega-Manetric Team - Spooky Round 2: Electric Boogaloo

This is the second version of this team. I thought I would take you through the development of the team in order to show how I got to where I am with it.

The initial team consisted of: Weavile, Mega-Manetric, Forretress, Galvantula, Talonflame and Gengar. However I soon realised that spikes and toxic spikes were just not worth the effort for the team, and replaced Forretress and Galvantula with Shuckle, and this gave me room to add a rapid spinner, Excadrill.
This is the team currently:

SPOOKY ROUND 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO

The initial intention behind this team was to set up Mega-Manetric for a big sweep. As I played an experimented with it however, I've found that the team is less about using Mega Manetric and more around using sticky web to slow down the opposition, to allow my already fast team a greater edge.

I've in the past been lucky and swept entire teams with Weavile, Gengar and Talonflame, despite them initially being there to cover Mega-Manetric's weaknesses.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability:
Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Infestation
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock

This little bro is my A-Game. The intent is obvious, to set up entry hazards. Due to having both sturdy and the mental herb, the only time he is ever stopped is if the opponent leads with a rapid spinner unexpectedly. I look over the opponents team and if they have 3 or more pokemon that can be slowed by Sticky Web, that's what I will go with. Otherwise I lead with stealth rock.

Quite often I'll use infestation to lock the opponent in, or pull off the worlds most surprising revenge kill if the opponent is at 20% or less. I tend to use encore to pivot, if I manage to catch Earthquake or Toxic, I'll usually switch into Gengar or Excadrill, unless its Earthquake from Venusaur, in which case Talonflame comes out.

I'll also use encore to force an opponent to either switch or use a set up move like Dragon Dance of Sword Dance for four turns, and use that opportunity to switch to a pokemon that can take the setter out.

Weavile @ Expert Belt
Ability:
Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick​

While I tend to vary my lead depending on the opponents team, Weavile is the Pokemon I lead with most often after Shuckle. While he originally had pursuit, I found that trouble with Tyranitar leads, and that Starmie is OHKO'd by Talonflame's Brave Bird, convinced me to change it to Low Kick.

I've also experimented with Fake Out, but found that I was always missing not being able to ice shard. Weavile is my go-to counter for Garchomp, Latios and Mega Alakazam. I initially had him as a life orb user, but my success has been far better with the expert belt so far, as it's kept him around for longer.

He makes for a revenge killer against Landorus, Thundurus and Tornadus, and will often switch in on psychic attacks that Shuckle encores.

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability:
Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch​

The whole point of developing this team over the last three weeks, was actually as an experiment to see if I prefered Mega-Manetric to Jolteon. I did discover however that they're really entirely different Pokemon when I use them. With Jolteon being more like a scout, and Manetric being out for blood.

I tend to use Mega Manetric late game, unless there is a Forretress/Skarmory that needs flamethrowering/thunderbolting. Hidden Power Ice takes down Landorus, as I usually try to time him coming in, and then outspeed him on the next turn for a 2HKO.

Thunderbolt tends to take down most things, and Volt Switch just makes for nice utility, especially when it means escaping Earthquake and switching into one of my three immune Pokemon (assuming Excadrill is fresh).

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability:
Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave​

Yeah... I still use this set. I can't fault it. The usual pattern is to substitute, disable whatever their go-to move was, substitute again and start fighting. Alternatively if I'm coming in on an Azumarill that's already KO'd one of my team with Aqua Jet, I'll disable Aqua jet straight out and start sludge waving. It's not uncommon to see Gengar take down two or three pokemon in a go, when I time the subs and disables right.

I will usually switch from Manetric to him when I predict an Earthquake, and if I know that I'm not fast enough to stop a psychic attack, I'll go straight back to Weavile. Gengar is also supposed to serve as a spin blocker, although I tend to find that sticky web makes Talonflame better at dealing with potential rapid spinners, as it OHKO's them before they get the chance to spin. It's nice to have it as an option though.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability:
Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance​

Talonflame is my go to counter to Excadrill (after sticky web), Mega Venusaur, Keldeo and Breloom. While he is definitely part of my teams weakness to rock, he simply checks so many threats that I have never really wanted to take him off.

I will often use him to bait an electric attack, before switching to Manetric to get that special attack boost with Lightning Rod before Mega-Evolving and sweeping. He also takes down YZard after stealth rocks with brave bird.

He is also my usual choice to counter Mega Lopunny, which is a massive pain for my team, more so than any other Pokemon.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability:
Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin​

My spinner and counter to Gengar (preventing him from Spinblocking), Rotom-W/H, and at times, Latios and Clefable. I experimented with Brick Break at one stage, but found that I needed rock slide to deal with Talonflame and the occasional Staraptor.

I run mold breaker over sand rush, because usually sticky web slows the enemy team to the point where they are slower than him anyway, so even in a sandstorm I don't notice the speed drop off too much. Jellicent walls Excadrill completely however meaning I have to switch to Weavile or Mega-Manetric to deal with it.

He does have good chemistry with Talonflame as well, as even after the air balloon pops I know that I can switch to Talonflame. Though that has led to Talonflame getting stone edged before.

***​

At one point, I made a similar but different team "Spooky Round 3: Tee Hee Hee", which featured Weavile with fake out instead of ice shard, and a choice banded flygon in place of Air Balloon Excadrill, after trying both though I felt that the second version of the team had far more versatility and changed back soon after.

What do you guys think? Are there any changes that you would make? My team IS 3x to rock, although I've not had too much problem. It's mainly bulky water types that have given me truble but I'm not sure of how to fix that. I'm wondering if there's any changes I could make that wouldn't break p the synergy of the team too much.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT:
THREATS
While I have beaten all of these threats they're still a massive pain

Mega Lopunny - I absolutely hate this thing. The only thing that usually counters it is Talonflame, but Talonflame is very rarely in a the time.
Mega Swampert - This guy is a pain due to the lack of a grass attacker on the team, Gengar is usally my best bet and I'll try to sub, disable and shadowball to the win but it's not reliable.
Umbreon - I don't know why but this guy is always a pain for my team, it could be the lack of strong fighting moves: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-447553684 I hope this link still works, but you can see how much work it took to finally beat it.

Last edited:
You should make a threats list with possible threats that stop your team in your tracks. You said "bulky water types" but you could be more specific. Personally I see mega Alakazam completely sweep your team if it doesnt miss a Focus Blast but you mentioned Weavile with Ice shard to take care of that. Personally I would run a both fake out and ice shard set
Weavile Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Fake Out
- Ice Shard
- Low kick
- Night Slash / Icicle Crash
I would prefer night slash
Fake Out + Ice Shard makes sure you get the kill on Mega Alakazam and, if Rocks are gone and you have no longer a rock setter, Fake Out can be used to break sashes or breaking Dragonites multiscale if it got loose d dancing becaus Multiscale prevents you from OHKO it. It also gives a little more resistance to any mon that started stat boosting that doesnt have access to priority (Salamence, actually all dragon types) and I dont see you using Icicle Crash all that much. Also, Fake Out + Ice Shard gives a bigger chance of killing scarfed landorus cuz it has good bulk and might live an Ice Shard (happened to me once ugh so annoying). As I said its also handy to break sashes (rattata leads omg...)

Hi, thanks for the feedback. It's actually focus sash Alakazam that I have the real trouble with rather than the Mega. I've mainly kept iciclde crash for Garchomp, so I will try the set that you've recommended.

I'm going to play some more and then edit in the threats that I really notice. Thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)