Pokemon Shuffle General Discussion

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Currently training both my Electivire and Jolteon for the M-Pidgeot comp, hopefully we get the extra victini on Tuesday's check-in. Still not sure which Mega or 4th support to use though, considering dropping some speedups and skill swapper on ampharos since I don't see Rayquaza shining too much against so many disruptions, although Glalie could be nice as well...
I'll have to catch Electivire from the event before the Victini ends then in that case... Otherwsie I'm kinda screwed. only electric mega is Ampharos (I have Glalie nearly at Lv 10), so I'll probably try with Megar/Raikou/Zapdos and Electivire (unless Zekrom is any good).

You can have two Victini runs, one from tomorrow morning and one of Saturday ... And you can use some Jewels too.

Electivire is level 10 and Pidgeot is level 9 ... I didn't RML/SS Jolteon, so I hope it's not something I will regret ... Don't know if it worths levelling Pidgey/Pidgeotto.

For the mega ... Rayquaza is probably meh with all thoses Additionnal Supports. Aerodactyl seems useless without rocks.
Glalie / Ampharos / Tyranitar / Manectric seems the best. All are MAX, but only Tyranitar is fully candied :(

Winking Pokemons are here ! Thundurus T too !
Both easy catch !

Electivire Skill is level 2, I probably push to level 3, but not more ... Which team are you using for Mega Pidgeot ?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Took a few attempts, but I managed to get the 70k for Mega Pidgeot for Mission Card purposes and am pretty happy with the score for now. For those of you who want tips on Mega Pidgeot: Mega Rayquaza / Electivire / Pidgeot / Filler is a great team for this competition. Get the quick evo and then hope to get as many disruption cycles off Pidgeot as the RNG allows you (by getting Electivire/ Pidgeot into the hole in Pidgeot's spawn disruption to try and get a combo). With optimal luck, you will get through five disruption cycles before the combo ends (One cycle at 9 to go, then at 7, 5, 3, then 1). Mega Tyranitar is also an okay choice for the competition as is Mega Ampharos with investment.

My PB at the moment is 70.9k with Rayquaza / Electivire / Lv15 Pidgeot / Kyurem which was a three and a bit cycle Mega Pidgeot and should be enough for tier two at least, but we will see.

Also caught Thundurus-T in a Great Ball (annoying stage itemless) and got first try Poké Ball on Winkmander. Coin grinding now and then contemplating how to use these 12 speedups...

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Mega Beedrill seems very interesting to candy ;)
Yeah I did that if only to try and get survival mode done cheap since it's possible to clear survival mode itemless with Mega Beedrill. Me being me and having eternal bad luck in Survival Mode, I had three runs in a row die to Mega Glalie and then my latest die to Mega Altaria because I got absolutely awful stage / combo / Risk-Taker RNG from Mega Sableye onwards. One day I'll get a run. One day.

But in all honesty, Mega Beedrill seems niche at best. It's great for the quick short stages (i.e. Survival Mode where quick kills are needed), and timed stages, but elsewhere, Mega Ttar just... stomps on it.

Yeah I did that if only to try and get survival mode done cheap since it's possible to clear survival mode itemless with Mega Beedrill. Me being me and having eternal bad luck in Survival Mode, I had three runs in a row die to Mega Glalie and then my latest die to Mega Altaria because I got absolutely awful stage / combo / Risk-Taker RNG from Mega Sableye onwards. One day I'll get a run. One day.

But in all honesty, Mega Beedrill seems niche at best. It's great for the quick short stages (i.e. Survival Mode where quick kills are needed), and timed stages, but elsewhere, Mega Ttar just... stomps on it.
I still have to complete Survival Mode too...Do you really think M-Beedrill can be useful to get through it itemless? You know, I'm just waiting for an excuse to candy the bee... XD
M-Beedrill aside, what do you think would be the optimal team? I'm obviously leaning towards high BP mons with useful abilities (BB+, BS+, Risk-Taker...), but I definitely need suggestions.

As for M-Pidgeot competition, I did a first attempt with M-Rayquaza, Raikou (Lv15), Electivire (Lv10, SL4) and Pidgeot (Lv6). Needless to say, I had horrible luck with combos, and ended up with a score of 53680, but I feel this team has good potential, so I think I'll stick with it for the next tries (= no candies for M-Tyranitar yet).

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I still have to complete Survival Mode too...Do you really think M-Beedrill can be useful to get through it itemless? You know, I'm just waiting for an excuse to candy the bee... XD
M-Beedrill aside, what do you think would be the optimal team? I'm obviously leaning towards high BP mons with useful abilities (BB+, BS+, Risk-Taker...), but I definitely need suggestions.
Several people on r/PokemonShuffle have cleared Survival Mode itemless with Mega Beedrill teams. Best support Pokémon to use are Landorus-Therian (PSB farmed Risk-Taker), Reshiram (Barriers), and your choice of Giratina-A and Hoopa-U. Risk-Taker has reliability issues but you need it because quick kills are never a bad thing, especially on problem stages. Houndoom with boosted Risk-Taker can be used as an alternative to Reshiram for the triple Risk-Taker strategy though the lower BP sucks.

Thank you very much, guys. Atm my priority is to secure at least a tier 2 placement in Mega-Pidgeot competition while farming enough coins before the next update (does anybody know if we will have another EB?). Should we have another peaceful week like this, I'll surely tackle the Survival Mode with a Mega-Beedrill team. I really want those 5 RMLs!

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
For those of you who haven't cleared Throh's 50 rocks mission on Mission Card #3 and are far enough on main stages: A guy on Reddit managed to find a much more reliable alternative jeweless strategy (to the Prank method): Rockify with a blank fourth slot. Rockify (only on Graveler) turns non-supports into a rock with much higher proc rates than pranks. Throh doesn't have non-supports but by leaving slot #4 blank, Pidgey (weak but SE) takes the mantle as a non-support so Graveler can turn them into rocks. You need at least seven procs to get the 50 rocks and you need to win as well. Could be possible itemless but Moves +5 can be a safe bet. A much more consistent strategy than the old Prank strat. But you need to get really far into the main stages though since Graveler is in Violeta Palace... :|

As for me, I've been doing more itemless runs at Survival Mode with SL3 Houndoom over Reshiram. My best attempt died to MMY (last stage). With good luck, I can finally get it done lol.

So I finally resolved to candy Mega-Beedrill to face the Survival Mode...and it worked surprisingly well!!! I did two runs, with the first stopping at stage 34 (Ampharos), and the second losing to MMY (I started the stage with 12 moves, and it survived with around 500 HP, I think), so with a bit of luck I should be able to finally beat the Survival Mode.

As for M-Pidgeot competition, I did 3 additional attempts, scoring 61k, 62k and 76k. Atm I'm in tier 1, but it won't last long. However, 2MSU+2RML is more than enough for me, so I won't spend additional coins. Speaking of which, I should be around 90k by the end of the day, so for once I'll be ready for tommorow's update ^^

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
New Content
Two RML's and One Speedup
Drifblim
Spooky Sableye

Returning Content
Halloween Safari, now with Drifloon, Spooky Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist, and Pikachu! (Drops Exp. Boosters)
Landorus-I (Drops PSB's, Speedups)
Hoopa-C (Drops PSB's)
Daily Pokémon #3 (Drops Coins)

Future Content
Spooky Gengar
Mega Banette Competition (Will probably mandate the use of Dusknoir)
Giratina-A EB (PSB drops please GS)
Dusknoir (Drops PSB's, probably RML's too)

Spooky Pokémon and Drifblim
Drifloon: Base 50 Ghost-type w/ Rock Break.
Drifblim: Base 60 Ghost-type w/ +-Boost.
Spooky Sableye: Base 50 Ghost-type w/ Prank.
Mega Spooky Sableye: 14 icons, 7 Speedups, Turn three Ghost-types into Mega Spooky Sableye.
Spooky Pikachu: Base 50 Electric-type w/ Block Smash+.
Spooky Pumpkaboo: Base 50 Ghost-type w/ Swap+.
Spooky Gourgeist: Base 60 Ghost-type w/ Spookify.
Spooky Gengar: Base 70 Poison-type w/ Vitality Drain.
Mega Spooky Gengar: ## icons, 7 speedups, Turn three Poison-types into Mega Spooky Gengar.

Giratina-A EB Prizes
Level 5: 1 Exp. Booster S
Level 30: 1 Disruption Delay
Level 50: 1 Mega Speedup
Level 85: 1 Exp. Booster M
Level 100: 1 Skill Swapper
Level 125: 1 Exp. Booster M
Level 150: 2 Raise Max Levels
Level 175: 1 Exp. Booster M
Level 200: 1 Mega Speedup
Level 225: 1 Exp. Booster M
Level 250: 2 Raise Max Levels
Level 275: 1 Exp. Booster L
Level 300: 2 Mega Speedups

All done.

As for me, I got a top tier spot in Mega Pidgeot with 89.6k and beat Survival Mode with Beedrill + Triple Risk-Taker strats. Not bad.

Last edited:
Managed to stay around 500th place, so only tier 2 !
Caught Grodive (easy) and Spooky Sableye (a bitch : itemless it's hard)
Got my first price in Lando with 1 MSU --> Mega Tyranitar is fully candied.

Now waiting for Spooky Gengar : Better or not than Mega Beedrill
Finally Mega Banette, the only Mega I'm missing (with one of the Lati)

All the spooky are not worth it ... Unless Gengar/Mega Gengar is good

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Spooky Gengar is heavily implied to be a Poison-type (event notes suggest to bring Ground-types and Psychic-types) so if Mega Beedrill did not completely obsolete Mega Mawile in your eyes, Mega Spooky Gengar will probably confine Mega Mawile to the dustbin for good. No idea on abilities yet.

Also Mega Spooky Sableye is bugged in that if you feed Speedups to it, it won't increase its evolution speed and waste a Speedup. This has been acknowledged by the official website and expect an update soonish that fixes the bug.

We also got event text for some prizes in the upcoming EB and Dusknoir will drop RML's so get that ready to grind Dusknoir for the Mega Banette repeat. Oh, and Spookify Gengar I suppose since Spookify gives Ghost-types its best damage output.

Spooky Gengar is heavily implied to be a Poison-type (event notes suggest to bring Ground-types and Psychic-types) so if Mega Beedrill did not completely obsolete Mega Mawile in your eyes, Mega Spooky Gengar will probably confine Mega Mawile to the dustbin for good. No idea on abilities yet.

Also Mega Spooky Sableye is bugged in that if you feed Speedups to it, it won't increase its evolution speed and waste a Speedup. This has been acknowledged by the official website and expect an update soonish that fixes the bug.

We also got event text for some prizes in the upcoming EB and Dusknoir will drop RML's so get that ready to grind Dusknoir for the Mega Banette repeat. Oh, and Spookify Gengar I suppose since Spookify gives Ghost-types its best damage output.
Great ! There was a Pyre-like ability for Poison types maybe Mega Spooky Gengar does have it !

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well I managed to finish the safari fairly quickly with only 9 hearts and also caght everything else, since this'll be a slow week I'll try to get some extra S-ranks and mission cards as well.

Yeah that's definitively slow week. No interesting pokemon to PSB. Safari finished, and caught other event Pokemon, and I already have 80K gold, so I will try to S-rank some very hard stages without items

Completed survival mode on Tuesday after finishing this weeks content.
Ranked 1965 for this competition thanks to 60 people getting banned, so I secured the top tier prize! I now have 19 candies, should probably feed mega Tyranitar now....

New week :

Caught Spooky Gengar, with a Great Ball + Super Catch Rate. I don't know how a Mega Poison Hoenn Starter could be useful. For Fire types, Pyre teams are better. For Fairy types, well, except some PSB farmable stages, I don't think there are a lot of match ups ... I will level up him to 5, not more.

Started Giratina EB, there are 4 MSU and 4 RML and 1 SS (I have so many SS already ...)

Didn't try Mega Banette competition ... And didn't try Dusknoir stage also

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Mega Banette spawns Zoroark instead of Dusknoir. If any of you want tips for Mega Banette: Mega Tyranitar is easily the best mega of the competition. If you don't have it, Mega Absol is an acceptable alternative. As for using Tyranitar on the stage, quoting myself from Reddit:

Its_A_Random on r/PokemonShuffle said:
Don't open a combo by matching Mega Tyranitar while DD is active; making it wear off later is a bad thing because the key to getting a great score is to get as many disruption cycles off the second half as possible. When the disruption happens that affects the entire board, you should aim to match Mega Tyranitar first (which you can always do) and then hit B2, E2, and one of B5 or E5 to free up the board and hope it triggers a combo of three or greater, resulting in Zoroark spawns. Future Tyranitar matches in the cycle should be to clear the board and then to create combos. With a little luck, you can get through one disruption cycle in just one turn.

Using this tactic, I managed to get a score of 161,736 getting through five/six disruption cycles, which was top spot on EU 3DS until the person I beat decided 130k wasn't enough and got 180k with the same team as me (Tyranitar/Zoroark/Yveltal/Hoopa-U).
i've since dropped to third, zoroark is lv13 sl2, yveltal is not rml'd but sl2, hoopa is sl5

Spooky Gengar I got on first day with one Great Ball at 56%. Currently up to Lv31 on Giratina-A and now fully focusing on that.

Also next week: We are getting new RML/SS compatible targets. Here's hoping Poison gets a lot of SS changes for Mega Spooky Gengar's sake. After the Giratina EB expires, we will be getting another EB, this time featuring a brand new Pokémon (Either Primal Groudon/Kyogre, Shiny Rayquaza, Black Kyurem, Meloetta, Shiny Genesect, or Volcanion, but five bucks says that we'll get Winking Manaphy instead).

Last edited:
Got a score of 106k with mega absol+Co. I hope I stick in the first tier...
Doing the EB, at stage 61 now. Are angry modes rarer, or is it just me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)