Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they have a new flower girl Pokemon. A lot of it just reminds me of Lilligant, and while I prefer that much better, I do kind of like its design. Looks to be a physical attacker though. (Then again all of Kalos' Grass-types (at least those I remember) were all physical as well, so its all good)

My feelings on the Jangmo-o and Type:Null evolutions haven't changed. Cutiefly evolution is meh. I seriously hope it evolves again, because if not it'll be a waste of such a good typing. Though its for flavor reasons so I don't mind it THAT much.

Muk's Alola form looks trippy as hell. Its so ugly yet cool at the same time.

They still haven't revealed the evolutions for Pikipek and I find that odd, as its the only Route 1 Pokemon that didn't get an evolution revealed.

Guys. I just realized something very impoartant. Dazzling makes the holder immune to attacks that would have higher priority. Queen's Majesty states that it flat out blocks Priority attacks. What's the difference, you may ask? it means everything above or below 0 priority will have be negated.

This doesn't change much for us Single format players, but this is HUGE for the VGC scene. Let me make a small list of notable moves:

• Helping Hand
  • Protect
  • Rage Powder
  • Follow Me
  • King's Shield
  • Fake Out
  • Trick Room

These are just a small sample of what Tsareena can do if i interpret this right. This one mon can shake VGC to the core...

They still haven't revealed the evolutions for Pikipek and I find that odd, as its the only Route 1 Pokemon that didn't get an evolution revealed.
It's strange, yeah... but I frankly can't remember the Route 1 Flying-type Pokemon having its evolutions revealed before launch. I remember Fletchinder wasn't, and Pidove's line is so forgettable I don't remember. Dunno about Talonflame.

On another hand, I'm not... fully convinced that Queenly Majesty will block any move that has Priority != 0. The different wording makes suspicions make sense, but I think that, if it were the case, they would have worded it better, something in the lines of "moves that strike first or last".

Last edited:
62-63 with a HP IV of 31 and 78 with a HP IV of 0 (without any EV investment, which is the most probable)

31 with a HP IV of 31 and 46-47 with a HP IV of 0 (with 252HP EVs)

Verdict: Tsareena will be quite frail.
So somewhere between 62 and 78. Pretty sure they use mostly random HP IVs and no EVs. Worth noting that Thundurus has a base 79 HP and can be bulky, but typing and decent defenses do help it with that tbh.

It's strange, yeah... but I frankly can't remember the Route 1 Flying-type Pokemon having its evolutions revealed before launch. I remember Fletchinder wasn't, and Pidove's line is so forgettable I don't remember. Dunno about Talonflame.

On another hand, I'm not... fully convinced that Queenly Majesty will block any move that has Priority != 0. The different wording makes suspicions make sense, but I think that, if it were the case, they would have worded it better, something in the lines of "moves that strike first or last".
Talonflame was revealed, Flechinder wasnt, iirc.
And maybe Dazzle blocks attacking moves with Priority, but not Status Moves, While Queenly Majesty Blocks all of them? Or: Dazzle blocks priority ained at your side of the field, Queenly Majesty prevents Priority moves from working.

I would say the former seems more likely.

Assuming that Clanging Scales is a sound based move, it's kind of ironic that Kommo-o is immune to its own signature move haha. But seriously, it went from looking like Dio to looking like one of the Pillar men. team member 100%

Silvally is literally my favorite pokemon from this generation so far. How are we going to obtain it in-game? I want to think it can be caught in the wild but it's getting hyped up like Zoroark right now so that's probably not going to be the case. Maybe Gladion gives one to you post game or something...

By the way, I have a feeling on what Hakamo-o's name is based on now: Haka, and given Hakamo-o has the personality of a warrior and hakas are mostly associated with war dances...

Ho boi new stuff, again!

Seems like Kimeramon evolves now - wait, what do you mean this isn't Digimon? In any case, seems like the Arceus connection is somewhat more cemented now, though I think RKS sounds like Arkeis, but I digress.

Kommo-o is hype af, though one has to wonder what kind of attacker it is, as Clanging Scales seems like a special move, while it probably also uses Sky Uppercut. It might even be a crazy mixed attacker with only special dragon and physical fighting moves or maybe Clanging Scales is just physical.

Steenee and Tsareena are super cute, I'm not yet prepared for the twintails and the OOHOHOHOHO.

Alolan Muk is actually crazy and it's color changing texture is actually really cool.

btw I'm calling it now that Type:Null will have a final 'gold' themed evo, with the second one being called Silvally and the colors of both helmet/head. Aurumoth hype

Guys. I just realized something very impoartant. Dazzling makes the holder immune to attacks that would have higher priority. Queen's Majesty states that it flat out blocks Priority attacks. What's the difference, you may ask? it means everything above or below 0 priority will have be negated.

This doesn't change much for us Single format players, but this is HUGE for the VGC scene. Let me make a small list of notable moves:

• Helping Hand
  • Protect
  • Rage Powder
  • Follow Me
  • King's Shield
  • Fake Out
  • Trick Room

These are just a small sample of what Tsareena can do if i interpret this right. This one mon can shake VGC to the core...
I think you're reading too much into the language here.

"The Dazzling Ability prevents opponents from using priority moves that normally strike first."
"The effects of Queenly Majesty are so intimidating that it prevents opponents from using priority moves."

The two abilities sound like they do the same thing to me. If Queen's Majesty really negates moves like Helping Hand and Protect, then they would've shown that in the trailer instead of Aqua Jet. If we look at the trailers for both Tsareena and Bruxish, both Queen's Majesty and Dazzling have the same message in reaction to Aqua Jet and Quick Attack being used respectively. While this doesn't confirm anything, I think it's very likely that these abilities work the same way and just block priority attacks that do damage (as evident by them showing Quick Attack and Aqua Jet specifically). This does include Fake Out! But, I don't think Pokemon has ever referred to moves like Protect or Helping Hand as actual "attacks" since they aren't damage-dealing attacks. The difference in wording between Dazzling and Queen's Majesty is probably just to add flavor to the text.

Actually now that I've watched the video again at home and not on my phone, I'm really hoping that Kommo-o et. al will be specially based as that may open up more special fighting moves that can be spread around to other mons.
With Clanging scales seemingly sound based going off the animation and there has yet to be a physically based sound move in the game it's very suggestive.

"The Dazzling Ability prevents opponents from using priority moves that normally strike first."
"The effects of Queenly Majesty are so intimidating that it prevents opponents from using priority moves."

The two abilities sound like they do the same thing to me. If Queen's Majesty really negates moves like Helping Hand and Protect, then they would've shown that in the trailer instead of Aqua Jet. If we look at the trailers for both Tsareena and Bruxish, both Queen's Majesty and Dazzling have the same message in reaction to Aqua Jet and Quick Attack being used respectively. While this doesn't confirm anything, I think it's very likely that these abilities work the same way and just block priority attacks that do damage (as evident by them showing Quick Attack and Aqua Jet specifically). This does include Fake Out! But, I don't think Pokemon has ever referred to moves like Protect or Helping Hand as actual "attacks" since they aren't damage-dealing attacks. The difference in wording between Dazzling and Queen's Majesty is probably just to add flavor to the text.
Thats because your simply thinking as priority as go first. Priority moves have an order in a chart. Dazzling specifically mentions priority moves that normally strike first. Queen Majesty has no such wording, meaning it can be interpreted on a broader scale.

I actually agree with Count Bleck on this one. Dazzling makes a very clear, cut-out, reference to offensive priority moves "...prevents opponents from using priority moves that normally strike first ", whereas Queenly Majesty only says it stops priority moves. So, whether this applies to offensive moves only or not is still up in the air and I wouldn't brush the possibility aside as a matter of semantics just yet.

Talonflame was one of the first revealed, IIRC we did not knew about Fletchinder

It would be very, very weird if it included negative priority too though. Especially since Quick Guard's description reads "The user protects itself and allies from priority moves."

Edit: I am definitely gonna say Dazzle is damaging attacks only, Queenly Majesty is Perma Quick Guard.

Can we all just stop saying how good or bad these Pokémon are going to be until we at least get their stats or movepools? How many times have we done this only to vastly over or underestimate their strength? Just wait till the demo gets cracked at least.
Reminds me when everyone thought Barbaracle would be the greatest thing on earth lmao

Anybody have a hard time distinguishing Silvallys types though? Especially the Blue ones, Ice, Flying, Dragon, Water; They're really hard to differentiate for me :(

(I can't even tell if the purple one is dragon, is it ghost? I DON'T KNOW!)
Yeah, some of the colors seem really close together, which seems like it may be an issue. But that picture actually looks like a good study guide for them: each picture has a border that appears to be the more traditional color for that type. So, unless i am mistaken (and i very well may be) the order should be:
  1. Fire
  2. Water
  3. Grass
  4. Electric
  5. Flying
  6. Fighting
  7. Poison
  8. Ground
  9. Ice
  10. Psychic
  11. Bug
  12. Rock
  13. Dragon
  14. Ghost
  15. Dark
  16. Steel
  17. Fairy

Actually, there is something about Tsareena in the Italian site of Pokémon Sun and Moon. It specifically says this:

"Some Tsareena have the Ability Queenly Majesty, never before seen with any other Pokémon, which intimidates the enemies to the point to prevent them to use moves with high priority."

If this is the case, then the Ability seems indeed Dazzling with a different name.

I really like the artwork for Aloan Muk, but I'm still deciding on its in-game model. I love the color-changing though, I'd love to see more Pokemon with weird effects like that.

I don't know why, but so far I love every Alolan form MORE THAN its original counterpart.
Muk is just AMAZING. I love the typing as well, and I'm waiting for Corrosion as its HA to be supreme.

I usually don't like Grass mons, but this gen I'm already thorn with Exeggcutor, Tsareena and Rowlet3. This gen so far is no less than surprising...I feel like it will become my favorite gen of all times.

And I'm kinda disappointed with Rimbombee, I expected it to be a 3-stage mon.

I don't know why, but so far I love every Alolan form MORE THAN its original counterpart.
I'm right there with you, alolan marowak was a dream come true, both of my favorite typings on my favorite mon as a kid. I definitely feel these forms are meant to make some of the more "forgotten" gen 1 mons look cooler.

(Also that stanky danky gen 1 pandering)

Oh well, neither of us can be sure so lets talk about something cooler, like this absolutely s i c k psychedelic Muk we just got!

Alolan Muk looks absolutely amazing, I really like the color changing model, but probably my favorite part of the new trailer was Jangmo-o's evolutions, those are (in my opinion) the most bad ass Pokemon revealed so far.

We should all take a moment to revel in Kommo-o's amazing design.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Come on guys...

You all keep going " We won't go too much into competitive" like that's a reason that I won't go back and delete a shit load of posts.

Which is what I am going to do now. You all keep telling each other and then ignoring it. Lets look at the designs and forget about the differences of the abilities/similarities of them and what they can do about Talonflame (nothing, jsyk). Drop it.

Well to avoid competitive, I'm genuinely torn between Tsareena and Lurantis both Pokémon got God tier designs and I honestly can't decide.

I mean, I can use both, but I want to explore a lot of the stuff in my first run through Alola and having two mono grass that might have similar level up movepools can destroy the experience, I mean in Y I had 3 flying types on my first run and it wasn't bad, but they had good secondary typing...these two are mono grass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)