Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Announcement:
Release version 1.1 is out! Download it here.

Release version 1.1 is out! It includes all of the Kalos sprites (except Diggersby and Gourgeist) and a limited number of XY and ORAS Megas. View the linked post above for details on the release's contents and how to credit us.

So... I've spent the past five weeks getting this release ready and the past five days or so just exporting each individual image. On average, each one took five minutes to export, and there were 360 of them... you do the math. All I have to say is... I'm making the difficult decision to retire from the XY Sprite Project with no plans to return unless others do so to help. At this point, I've worked on all of the Kalos sprites, doing anything from eliminating stray colours to dramatic quality control. From the beginning, this was meant to be an open-source community project. Anyone who's been following the Sun/Moon Sprite Project could tell that my skills have improved substantially since I joined Smogon almost three years ago, but even then, my specialty still is drawing cutemons. I'm pretty sure that I have neither the ability nor patience to finish the project's remaining 40 or so sprites by myself.

In February 2014, when the 3D renders replaced the 2D sprites on Showdown, I promised Layell out of friendship and solidarity that I wouldn't leave the project until at least all of the Kalos sprites were done. I didn't know how much that promise would cost me. Since then, I've made so many sacrifices just to try to reach that goal... from averaging four hours of sleep every night for weeks at a stretch to working through every personal setback, be it a hand injury or crippling depression. Now that it's over, I feel extremely exhausted, sick, and not as happy as I thought I'd be.

I hope that you enjoy our sprites and use them in your icons, banners, RMT threads, trainer cards, fusions, sprite comics, RPG Maker XP projects, ROM hacks, whatever. If you're using release version 1.0, we recommend that you update to the latest version. Although the main purpose of the project always was to produce graphics for Showdown, ours is also the most comprehensive collection of BW-style Gen VI sprites available, and I wanted to help provide a resource for the online Pokémon community at large. And that means you, dear reader. (We also don't guarantee that the sprites look perfect... your mileage may vary on which ones are slightly better or worse.)

If you haven't already, you can follow us to the official Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project and watch the old spriter gang (and some new challengers) create and collaborate on BW-style Gen VII sprites. And in case you're wondering, Layell didn't help with this release at all... he's been busy playing Overwatch.

See you next mission!

p.s. Bonus "before and after" chart

xy-sprites.png

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And in case you're wondering, Layell didn't help with this release at all... he's been busy playing Overwatch.
Plus cooking all your food.

Friendly jabs aside, I hope you all enjoy the huge progress update, I'll keep this around to see if any of the last stragglers can be finished completely because that would help with anyone wanting to apply for the Sun/Moon Project as well. Anything not included in the above download is free for anyone to post, if you want to edit something that has been included in the above download, then please watch this video. I would still love to see backs for Pikachu-Belle, Mega Metagross, and Mega Rayquaza.

I've said it before but the lovely, sweet, beautiful, supportive, and all-around amazing princessofmusic is the only reason this project managed to survive these many years, I wouldn't have been able to do it without her determination and ability to push pixels to their limits.

Fun facts:
-I have yet to see a completed romhack/fangame with our sprites
-Xerneas is the only Pokemon to break the colour limit
-Seven Smogon members have the artist badge because of this project, and because of this I am the first person to give myself a badge

Now to leave some final words, spriters never die!

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sharing time! Man I owe a lot to this project. Before joining this project, I knew little about spriting let alone animating sprites. For the original sprite crew, Im sure you could remember my early animation attempts at mega charzard x haha. After a few tries, I was able to start making great looking animations. I noticed the change in everyone else as well. We all just got better at what we do thanks to this project. I enjoyed seeing everyone on showdown enjoying our work. However, my favorite part of this project was the sense of togetherness we all shared. We had several movie nights and a couple surprises throughout the project. It kept me going even during the busy times (up until my laptop broke...). It was awesome to know you guys and I hope this can continue while we continue with the sun/moon and xy project.

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You guys are all cool people. As you've probably already noticed, I don't intend to participate in the Sun/Moon sprite project, there's just a lot of other artistic stuff I want to try out (and mostly procrastinate on), and balancing more spriting on top of that and classes just isn't feasible for me. Either way, I'm glad to see all of this is continuing with the new generation. In any case, if any of you ever want to talk or play Smash 4 or something then hit me up, if there's one thing that I regret about this project, it's that I didn't make more of an effort to do stuff like that with you guys.

It's been fun!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Certain mons will be finished up, Diggersby is complete last I checked.

I'm actually revisiting the ever-complex Mega Rayquaza, so he can finally have a decent front and back. I just wouldn't expect a ton of activity now.

Certain mons will be finished up, Diggersby is complete last I checked.

I'm actually revisiting the ever-complex Mega Rayquaza, so he can finally have a decent front and back. I just wouldn't expect a ton of activity now.
I should probably apologise for just dumping the front sprite on you guys and disappearing off the face of the planet. I have some very basic sketches from my attempt at the back sprite and a 3d reference image of what the pose was going to be that I can post if it helps with what you're working on.

Good luck with Sun and Moon! You guys are an inspiration and I wish I had your work ethic.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I should probably apologise for just dumping the front sprite on you guys and disappearing off the face of the planet. I have some very basic sketches from my attempt at the back sprite and a 3d reference image of what the pose was going to be that I can post if it helps with what you're working on.

Good luck with Sun and Moon! You guys are an inspiration and I wish I had your work ethic.
Thanks but I'm working with another pose/sprite work, feel free to apply for sun/moon, finish or do whatever you want with your time : )

This Mega Ray sprite was originally by princess-phoenix on deviantart, and was updated to have the original sprites colours as well as some heavy revamping.

If anyone qualified wants to update this more, they are free to. But good luck.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hi!!! it has bee awhile. So I have run into a stump thinking about Grenija's odd animation so I decided to start on Chessnuaght :)
How does it look so far?
I think it looks great! I do wonder how it would look if its head tilted down a bit instead of just moving up and down but other than that, its very good.

I see that the project was not abandoned
I must wonder if I can participate in it
maybe later I go to show something done by me

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Thanks but I'm working with another pose/sprite work, feel free to apply for sun/moon, finish or do whatever you want with your time : )

This Mega Ray sprite was originally by princess-phoenix on deviantart, and was updated to have the original sprites colours as well as some heavy revamping.

If anyone qualified wants to update this more, they are free to. But good luck.
Boop
MegaRayquazaBWSprite.png

Updated the black patterns and the last set of gems on it's tail, and I added the black it's jaw, added (or removed part of if too thick) the placement of some of the black stripes. Pretty much if it was related to the color black on it, it was fixed.

Greninja's back animation is done!....well I still need to do the odd animations for both front and back :)
The front sprite is the same one I posted last- no changes were made to it.

Boy last month was way more busy than usual, sorry about it taking so long to complete these guys :(
658.gif
658.gif

anyone can animate the noivern? pls
front and coast
ty

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Yeah... I think it has the same issues as your duoblade. Its movements are too jerky. Thafs probably due to not giving it enough frames to make its movements look more fluid. Try to spread its movements out over several frames and compare it to other animations to see if you are on the right track. Keep at it though. Youll get there with more practice!

I noticed that in the spreadsheet the shiny mega blastoises were outdated, so
I made these
009s_1.png
009sb_1.png
from the color palletes of these
009s_1.png
009sb_1.png
to recolor these
009_1.png
009b_1.png

I hope you can use these as this is pretty much all I can do with spriting. Also, is the spreadsheet still being updated when new sprites come in? (I remember someone saying the Diggersby sprite was done and it's not on there, so that's why I'm wondering.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)