The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
3-gatsu has some parallels with yuri on ice in how its presented. both are serious and competent stories. like they both feel like they were written with a maturer audience in mind. the difference is yuri on ice is good.

idk where i was going with this but watch flip flappers

Can I just call it Sangatsu? I'm losing my mind over this thinking no one will understand what I'm talking about.
people on /r/anime are all over 3-gatsu no lion but I'm just... not sold on it yet? it's good at setting up atmosphere and at being realistic with how it portrays its characters, I guess, but so was Chihayafuru and it managed to do that without boring me to tears for half of each episode. 3-gatsu also seems determined to give me emotional whiplash or something because it'll transition from a depressing, somber, borderline-pretentious flashback to a breakneck-pace frenetic comedy that looks like it came straight out of Nichijou. you could make the argument that the scene transitions are supposed to be jarring because they represent how Kiryama actually feels in every day life, but there are tons of other anime that just do a much better job of balancing their serious moments and their comedy: most of the Monogatari series, Erased, and even YLIA, for example, despite one of the biggest criticisms of YLIA being that the comedy feels out of place.

the shogi scene in epsiode 2 contributed virtually nothing (coming from someone who has zero understanding of shogi) and i'm hoping that they step it up in future episodes. other series like Chihayafuru and Hikaru No Go still found ways to make their games interesting to total outsiders, and even though 3-gatsu isn't a sports series i'd still like to see them do more with the shogi games
Agree with those flaws, SHAFT were not the best choice for this show. The emotion shifts actually help wake me up so I like them lol. I doubt they're gonna explain the basics of shogi, with all those shots of the board and the quip about NHK broadcasting the show they're assuming that you're jap. Shogi seems like chess for poor people anyway, for real.

What I noticed was the really solid character study that's starting to show itself. Maybe that's why people hype it up, or maybe because of the source material's rep, go figure.

Really sad I haven't been able to pick up too much this fall season unfortunately because of school and work but here is what i'm currently watching so far ! :

3-Gatsu no Lion - I've been wanting to see this get adapted since picking up the manga a couple months ago. I've only seen 1st episode so far (I'm behind D:) and what's captured my attention is how beautiful the music is. Really warm, and vibrant it really sets the setting perfectly. SHAFT has done great in the past with Bakemonogatari and Madoka so I expected great animation and this is what I got. Looking forward to see how it develops

Keijo!!!!!!!! - If you've ever been in the Anime & Manga room on PS than you've defiantly have been exposed to the circlejerk that we did on the manga when it came out. The hype for this was amazing and was initially my must watch for this season. 1st episode was really shaky considering they skipped 20+ chapters and you missed out on some key character development in between. However, the anime started on probably a really good note either way. You're already introduced to action pack action and from watching the 1st episode I understand what Xebec wanted to do. Not sure how the anime will go, but if there is any guarantees than it will defiantly be an entertaining show for this season.

Flip Flappers - I wasn't too sure I was gonna pick this up until False told me about it but I decided to give it a go and i'm so impressed with this anime so far. Animation is so crisp reminds me of like a more polished up KLK and it's super entertaining with a god-like ED. This deff feels like old gainex and was shocked that it wasn't from trigger. Right after Dimension W, Studio 3Hz might have released their best anime yet. Looking forward to this, I have high hopes.

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season - Not much to explain, I'm a Gundam fan so anything I might write about this will be really biased but if you haven't seen 1st season please do! It's a different taste from the general Gundam anime. More dialogue heavy and story progression is fantastic. A much watch in all sense.

That's about it! Is there anything else I should pick up? I know about Hibike S2 and Haikyuu!! i'll eventually get to them. But nothing that I saw that really grabbed me.

Can I just call it Sangatsu? I'm losing my mind over this thinking no one will understand what I'm talking about.
easiest to just call it Lion since that won't change no matter how you write the title (Sangatsu no Lion, 3-gatsu no Lion, March comes in like a Lion)

also Zaregoto OVAs start later this month which will probably be a much better use of SHAFT's talent and which I'm actually pretty excited for, more than anything airing this season maybe

Finally got around to watching Flipper Flapper and I get the hype now. Its so stoned. The visual metaphors are on point, from what little we've seen of the characters they're all super vibrant despite being based off of archetypes that have been done a million times. The art is LSD induced but great and all the adventures they have have just the right blend of action and insanity to create something spectacular. Plus the show is using the using the age old technique of combining light bubbly, psychedelic and dark edgy scenery all in the same show and the dissonance works fantastically. The world with what little we know of it is already writing itself in my head. All in all it really is as if Gainax and Ghibli had a baby with some loose artistic inspiration from Madoka Magica thrown in.

Plus its ending theme is A grade.

Last edited:

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Fall 2016: What to watch

Trying something a little different with my watched every show post this time. I decided to wait 2/3 episodes in to make this post.

MUST WATCH
---
Flip Flappers - I have talked a lot about this, so I wont repeat myself further
Yuri on Ice - Technically almost perfect, really compelling main leads. Everything about this show has a level of polish that is unrivaled this season
Hibike! Euphonium 2 - If you've seen the first season
-

SHOULD WATCH
---
3-Gatsu - Personally not a big fan of this, but it is definitely the type of show that you just know will end up being great.
To Be Hero - absolutely riotous comedy, reminds me a lot of inferno cop with its absurdity. This show has a real budget though and is 10 mins long.
Keijo!!!!!!! - this is exactly what you would expect
Shuumatsu no Izetta - absolutely fucking gorgeous action sequences, although the main plot IMO is sort of flimsy. it more than makes up for it in some of the epic and creative action scenes every episode. Plus izetta is a cutie.
Soushin Shoujo Matoi - this really feels like a classic mahou shoujo show. this show is really surprisingly heartfelt, its definitely my sleeper pick this season. if it continues the way it is going I could see it becoming a Must Watch. but as of right now there just isnt enough to set it apart from the pack, although it is definitely heading in that direction
Cheating Craft - Another half length show, this one is just dumb fun. Its an over the top battle shounen about cheating on exams.

MAYBE WATCH

Tiger Mask W - this show is literally just 80s machismo to the nth degree, it just oozes testosterone. It is definitely not for everyone because of the ridiculous storytelling and stilted dialogue. It is definitely a corny fun watch though.
Girlish Number - Its like if shirobako was written by an asshole
Long Riders - It's a pretty generic SoL about riding bikes, its really relaxing. Beware of terrible CGI.
Occultic;Nine - i will kill yuki kaji. this show is basically bad persona 4, except one of the girls breasts are literally the size of her entire torso. this show is extremely fucking obnoxious. Maybe a fun memewatch though.
Kiss Him Not Me - A dumb reverse harem, nothing harmful at all. sort of funny at times. the senpai is the best boy.

THE STUFF I HAVENT DROPPED FOR SOME REASON

Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - I'm way too far in the WIXOSS rabbit hole to stop now. Do not watch this show.

---

If a show isnt on this list it means ive dropped it

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What the actual fuck is happening in Flip Flappers
Your guess is as good as mine but I had a thought today that the episodes might be airing out of order a la Haruhi. Who knows though, I guess I'll just have to keep watching and find out.

Your guess is as good as mine but I had a thought today that the episodes might be airing out of order a la Haruhi. Who knows though, I guess I'll just have to keep watching and find out.
I think the episodes are airing in the correct order, but episode 3 was intentionally anachronistic as a stylistic decision

Cocona and Papika arrive in the desert directly after the ending scene in episode 2, and at the end of this week's episode they leave the cupboard thing that they got put into during that ending scene.

Trying to convince IRL friends to watch Yuri on Ice is both stupidly difficult and rapidly cluing me in to who is insecure about their sexuality

RODAN

Banned deucer.
the latest occultic;nine episode was actually really good. the show needed to take a chill pill and just let its amazing direction do the talking to be good. yuki kaji is still annoying though

i don't like sports anime much and I particularly don't like ones that aren't directly competitive (ie guy/team 1 does a thing, guy 2 does a thing, whoever did the best thing wins, no interaction)

there's also something that's just kind of unappealing about watching something and knowing that it's someone else's jerkoff material, even if it does have legitimate appeal beyond that

not really sure where I was going with this post, though after thinking about it i guess that means I'm only watching Euphonium for the cute girls

Occultic's third episode was really confusing. There's too much information that's missing for a lot of scenes and it feels like the only ones who thought they "flowed well" were people who read the source LN.

As for 3-gatsu, I don't have a lot of doubts about the show anymore. The directing could be better but still conveys the feelings of the source material. Episode 3 was emotional in a really great way.

i don't like sports anime much and I particularly don't like ones that aren't directly competitive (ie guy/team 1 does a thing, guy 2 does a thing, whoever did the best thing wins, no interaction)

there's also something that's just kind of unappealing about watching something and knowing that it's someone else's jerkoff material, even if it does have legitimate appeal beyond that

not really sure where I was going with this post, though after thinking about it i guess that means I'm only watching Euphonium for the cute girls
I dropped Yuri on Ice too, not because it's crap, it's really good in anime terms, just not my kind of thing. I think the tipping point was when the dudette had a full face of blood coming out of her nose, which really dragged me out of that scene. So I totally get ya.

watching like 13 things at this point, dropped a couple. Tiger Mask W is the must watch. some other thoughts:

3-gatsu no Lion

this one's pretty cool. people were bagging on the first ep for no reason that I could tell, it felt like it was going to have a super solid core right from the beginning. the anime yelling and shouting in the first ep was the only bad point so far for me and I'm super happy that they seem to not be an overly common appearance. and I'm also pretty happy that you don't seem to need to know anything at all about shogi in order to get the show owing to the fact that I do not know anything at all about shogi. the fish faces are funny and the payoff seems like it'll be pretty fantastic.

All Out!!

realised about half way through the second episode that the entire show is a thin euphemism for penetrative gay sex. any time a character talks about tackling another man there is not chance that they are actually talking about simply throwing him to the ground and leaving it at that. allow me to break this down. the basic plot of the second episode is that mr main character (who is a rather small lad) has become interested in rugby after seeing two rather buff and handsome men 'tackle' each other. he's obsessed with the idea. he joins up to the school's rugby club in the hope of engaging in some 'tackling' with another man. the problem is: the one dude that he really happens to want to 'tackle' is a pretty big guy, especially for him. no matter how hard he tries he can't quite manage to 'tackle' the big guy. he get some exercises set for him that are based around crawling on his hands and knees with his back correctly arched, his arse straight up into the air, and a lot of strenuous stretches. unfortunately this still doesn't quite work. it's not enough. he needs some real 'tackling' experience to pull this off. fortunately, he just so happens to have recently made a friend who is also a very big guy and so decides to practice some 'tackling' with him. the plan works. he is able to 'tackle' the big guy without injury episode ends. this show is head and shoulders above yuri on ice in terms of pure homoeroticism and I'm going to keep watching it.

Flip Flappers

the meme of the season. paper thin characters, some pretty piss poor writing, but hey it looks pretty and is experimental so it must be good hey!! at this stage I don't particularly care for this show. I mean yeah, it's the some-old-gainax-dudes-make-something-pretty show airing at the moment but by god everything apart from that sucks. cocona! papika!! cocona!!! papika!!!! kill myself if this keeps up!!!!!! the basic breakdown of an episode is unrelated thing before op, op, a bunch of unrelated happenings with barely introduced plot points that are resolved within seconds, ed, plot relevant post-credits scene. the driving force (potential spoiler) of episode 3 sucked nuts. she suddenly wants to punch her? why? oh because the character told me so. how are they going to resolve this? oh the character said that nah actually they don't want to punch them. okay cool that's resolved, thanks for introducing it and taking up a bunch of the time with a boring magical girl transformation sequence that just served as fan service objectification. it's dogshit masquerading as higher pedigree dogshit. might as well keep watching to hope for the best though.

Gi(a)rlish Number

cheating here because the third ep ain't out yet, but it seems likely to be much the same. girls are cute I'm gonna keep watching it hell yeah

Keijo!!!!!!!!

the brown hair ponytail one is best so far imo. this one is a much watch

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

honestly: fuck madoka. ruined a whole fucking genre. I can't imagine anyone genuinely liking this. it's the most generic paint by numbers crap airing right now and is an insult to magical girl shows. stop watching this and go watch ccs or nanoha or nanatsuiro drops or something. get some friendship.

Occult;Nine

one of the worst first episodes of anything I've ever seen and luckily those boobies were there or I would have dropped it. the show itself sits somewhere between pretty interesting and so-so. but hot damn that girl has some serious shirt meat. I need to keep watching this in hopes of some sort of explanation.

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume

way better than it should be to be honest. the action is really well animated considering the rest of the art kinda sucks. the character progression could be interesting enough. REALLY hope it does go down the c3-bu route and make these young lasses all hate both themselves and each other. go purple.

Stella no Mahou

cute girls yo

Tiger Mask W

the #1 show of this season, maybe the year. this is so goddamn great, pure raw unbridled joy. if you don't like Tiger Mask W you suck. the refs are the true madmen.

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

originally watched this as a joke but it's not bad??? I mean, it sure as heck isn't good. but hey there are worse things out there. I'm rooting for the cute little kouhai at this stage. wouldn't mind meeting him in a dark place and doing some things heh.

Yuri!!! on Ice

there's some good shit going on here. and the ending song is yolo so that's awesome. perfectly understandable if you don't like the solo sports character based drama sort of thing but if you can't ignore some manfuckman undertones then you're the true queer here.

dropped:

that izetta thing in ww2. it's hard to take something that wants to be some serious-war-is-bad something or rather when the fight scenes are a cute pink hair girl flying around on a nimbus2000 gun and flipping tanks over with one hand
that shrine maiden magical girl show because it grossed me out. a far more offensive perversion of magical girls than that cell phone one, or heck, even illya. has no honour.

also reminding people to watch KUROMUKURO, the best show that has aired so far this year.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Guess I'll pop in to say that I watched Kimi no na wa. I wouldn't say that it's perfect. The music montages usually fell flat, whether it was cause they were used as a strange excuse to tell instead of showing the first time (and for no reason), or cause the last time it was supposed to be a very desperate situation but the music was upbeat, or cause the music was frankly not very good. That aside, the movie was very moving and right up my alley in terms of content. It's technically the best non-Miyazaki anime movie I've seen (since Read or Die is an OVA that was just shown to me as a movie), and that's not saying much, but I have it at #93 on my personal top 250, so compared to movies in general it's pretty legit.

i'm enjoying Lion more and more recently, mainly because the tone of each episode is just more consistent now. this week's episode was pretty frenetic for the most part, but stayed that way for the whole episode. i'm loving the SoL portions of the show that don't try to be anything more than that - at least compared to the "deeper" parts of the show, which have been falling flat for me for the most part. Hina's breakdown in episode 3 was done pretty well, though (HanaKana is killing it)

on the other hand flip flappers is getting a little tiring because they're still not explaining anything. episodes 2, 3, and 4 also all lacked whatever it was that episode 1 had. not quite sure how to explain it, but nothing in the show has matched the moment from episode 1 when papika was getting the absolute shit beat out of her trying to get cocona's glasses back. there's a fine line between "suspenseful" and "totally incoherent" that these kinds of anime have to walk, and flip flappers is getting closer and closer to the wrong side of that line, imo

also what's with all of the fanservice? molesty robots, unnecessary shower/bath scenes, etc - stuff that adds nothing to the show and just feels totally out of place. the creator's art for nyantype/megami was also super lewd for no reason

keijo and hibike s2 are both super consistent and pretty high quality, but this season as a whole feels weaker all-around. saw a fantastic writeup on Yuri On Ice earlier so i'm heavily considering picking that up

in non-airing news, watched almost all of Konosuba (everything but the finale and the OVA so far) and it's a really good comedy, super fun to watch

started Hourou Musuko too and it's pretty good, plus the ED is fucking sublime

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
read wandeiring son PLEASE OH MY GOD PLEASE FUCK ITs LITERALLY THE BEST ROMANCE MANGA OF ALL TIME WHY DONT PPL READ IT HOLY FUCK AHF FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
should i stop watching the anime version then? still only an episode in
read it, according to what ive read the anime's alright but its paced differently and skips like the entire beginning of the manga, and the manga goes into (early) adulthood

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)