move 4: Trick
item: Choice Specs
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest STAB move and deals incredible damage to even targets that resist it. Psychic is the preferred secondary STAB move, as it has good neutral coverage, notably 2HKOing Bold Clefable and having a favorable chance against Calm variants. It's also Latios's most reliable option, as it does not lower its Special Attack like Draco Meteor. Psyshock is an alternative to have a chance to 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes while still being able to 2HKO Calm Clefable. Surf provides great coverage alongside Latios's STAB moves, hitting key targets such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire is an alternative to OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as heavily chip away at Jirachi. Trick lets Latios cripple defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Chansey. If Trick isn't necessary, extra coverage can be used over it in order to give Latios a better matchup against more balance-inclined teams. Sleep Talk also gets a mention for enabling Latios to switch into Breloom's and Amoonguss's Spore while being able to maintain its offensive presence.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread plus a Timid nature maximizes Latios's offensive capabilities while taking advantage of its excellent Speed tier. Choice Specs turns Latios into a powerhouse that punches holes versus just about any team.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best played as a hit-and-run wallbreaker, using its set of resistances to switch in and proceed to obliterate the opposition with either of its STAB attacks. If necessary, Latios can serve as a switch-in to Pokemon such as Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y by virtue of its typing. Due to a lack of recovery, however, Latios should be played more carefully with what it switches into, as it can find itself getting pressured by the aforementioned threats very easily. As such, Latios should generally be brought in either through pivot support or on aggressive double switches. Be wary of using Psychic if the opponent has a Dark-type, particularly Tyranitar, as it can come in and trap Latios, eliminating it as a threat. A similar scenario can happen with Draco Meteor if Fairy-types are present, as a wrong prediction results in a massive loss of momentum. Latios should use its coverage moves if the opponent's switch-in to a resisted hit is obvious. If running Trick, it's typically best to use it against stall teams to cripple the likes of Chansey, Jirachi, and Skarmory, making it much easier for teammates to break down the opposing team. Against more offensive teams, however, Latios should generally not use Trick, as losing the power boost from Choice Specs is fairly detrimental.

Team Options
========

Due to the inherently offensive nature of Choice Specs and the absence of recovery, Latios tends to fit on very offensive teams that appreciate its wallbreaking capabilities and can regain tempo that may be lost by being locked into the wrong move. As a result of this, cleaners such as Mega Lopunny, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Tornadus-T benefit most from Choice Specs Latios's wallbreaking proficiency. Landorus-T and Tornadus-T also provide a way for Latios to potentially switch in unscathed with their access to U-turn, which is very useful for this set due to its lack of recovery. Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Mega Heracross beat Dark-types with ease and are able to overwhelm shared checks, specifically Clefable. Keldeo in particular appreciates Latios's ability to soft check Electric-types, while Keldeo is capable of threatening Heatran in addition to the aforementioned Dark-types. Heatran provides Stealth Rock support, sports great synergy alongside Latios, and is able to handle opposing Steel-types while putting pressure on Tyranitar and Clefable with Lava Plume burns and Taunt, respectively. Other special attackers like Alakazam, Hydreigon, and Manaphy are able to overwhelm defensive threats, capitalizing on Latios's wallbreaking capabilities. Belly Drum Azumarill gets a special mention for being able to take advantage of Pursuit trappers that plague Latios, netting a free opportunity to set up and possibly sweep.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2

Banned deucer.
moves is ok

set details, mention that latis speed tier outspeeds stuff like chomp keld etc etc

usage tips is ok

team options, mention dark resists that can punish pursuit like bd azu
  • pokemon that advantage from having latios' checks, namely chansey, jirachi and bisharp, have inherent synergy with latios, taking advantage of its ability to either trick and cripple the foe or deal tons of damage with draco. specifically, teammates like kyurem, torn-t, and togekiss can most take advantage of this
what

just break this down into special attackers like hydra / zam / torn-t etc since they all overload and break down clef and other things like chansey because that bullet just runs on too long, you're not really getting to the point and there's mentions of garbage like togekiss zzz

edit: martin is right i completely forgot sleep talk slash that in the last slot too

1/3

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but my two cents:

Mention Dugtrio as a partner for it's ability to trap and eliminate Chansey, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Heatran and anything else that stops you spamming Draco/Psychic vs. the entire opposing team, as well as maybe Magnezone for it's ability to trap and eliminate Ferrothorn and Scizor with consistency (complete consistency vs. the former, mostly consistent vs. the latter unless you are specs and they are fast Superpower (loses to Chople anyway)).

I'd also give Sleep Talk a mention, if not an entire slash. Latios massively appreciates the ability to act as a sleep absorber due to it's incredible matchup vs. Amoonguss, making both absorbing Spore and being able to stay in (either denting something or sufficiently fucking with Double Powder variants) an incredibly valuable asset. I honestly think it's better than HP Fire, but idk maybe that's just me.

I think Psyshock is really bad due to not really hitting much notable that isn't fucked by Trick or Dugtrio anyway, and considering how simultaneously team- and moveset-dependent it is it just doesn't feel worth using the vast majority of the time. Not to mention that the Chansey user just goes to something that can take the Psyshock on the following turn and recovers up later on in the match anyway due to not being permanently crippled like is the case with Trick and due to taking "only" 50% from the hit (i.e. it's taken comfortably (47.8% dealt on a max roll if you don't factor in SR) and can be recovered later on with a high level of consistency). Honestly I think that it should be de-slashed and put either as a moves mention or just outright removed because it simply isn't good.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention the main draw (to me, at least) of Specs Psychic is the ability to not worry about what Clefable spread your opponent is running and 2HKO it outright (it has a 88.3% chance to 2HKO the Calm variant) so Clefable can't reliably switch in as opposed to Psyshock which still can't 2HKO Bold variants; this definitely a huge draw to me of Psychic > Psyshock, and not to mention AV Torn-T (the 96 HP variant, anyway) doesn't want to take a Specs Draco after rocks, so agreed with Martin; I would absolutely deslash Psyshock (not sure if I'd keep it in move mentions, I think mentioning it wouldn't hurt though).

Edit: And also, I'm probably alone here, but I think that it wouldn't hurt to give Shadow Ball a mention which I've been liking to lure in the always annoying SpDef Rachi and 2HKO 86% of the time after rocks, which HP Fire fails to do, and has other uses in OHKO'ing non-mega'd Metagross after rocks, and being a safe, strong neutral attack in general. It also hits Slowbro/Slowking so you don't have to play around with Draco SpA drops and hits other mons like M-Gardevoir better (which admittedly you can't 2HKO if you drop Psyshock, although you have a 55% chance to 2HKO with Specs Surf after rocks, which I wouldnt necessarily call reliable). So overall its an option I really like, and I think at the very least it deserves a mention.

Last edited:
implemented most of p2s check, save sleep talk. discussed w/ hootie on discord and yeah sleep talk is just better suited to moves

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Deslash Psyshock since one of this sets biggest draws is not having to worry about Clefable, and mention Garchomp, Kyurem-Black, and Mega Manectric as partners because they all appreciate Clefable being weakened.

IMO, you've got to mention in teammates that extra Keld coverage is extremely nice since this Lati lacks Roost. Specs Keld is one of the most defining breakers in the meta and really requires a reliable switchin (which Roost-less Lati is not). So mention Slowbro, Azu, Slowking, Amoonguss, etc as partners to compensate for the shakiness vs. Keld.

IMO, you've got to mention in teammates that extra Keld coverage is extremely nice since this Lati lacks Roost. Specs Keld is one of the most defining breakers in the meta and really requires a reliable switchin (which Roost-less Lati is not). So mention Slowbro, Azu, Slowking, Amoonguss, etc as partners to compensate for the shakiness vs. Keld.
im covering this sets lack of defensive utility in usage tips and i feel thats enough, especially since specs lati is best on offense and 2/3 of the mons you listed directly go against this
Deslash Psyshock since one of this sets biggest draws is not having to worry about Clefable, and mention Garchomp, Kyurem-Black, and Mega Manectric as partners because they all appreciate Clefable being weakened.
no

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The set itself and the comments/details are solid, but I have an addition to the team options (maybe usage tips? idk)

I feel like using Specs Latios with volt switch or u-turn support is ideal seeing as, as you said, it's sort of a hit-and-run breaker. There's a similar clause in the analysis for Specs Hydreigon which recently passed through QC and is now onto GP. With that said, everything else is fine and with this small add-on, I think we're good to go!

2/3

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that you should give a mention 'mons that can ease matchups vs. darks such as Cobalion and Keldeo. It is really useful because this thing netting a kill is complete bait for things like Weavile, Bisharp and Tyranitar to the point that being able to take advantage of these 'mons when they try to mess with you is an important consideration when building with this 'mon. Cobalion in particular is nice for Volt Switch support like Finch mentioned above and also because it's similar to Heatran in the respect that it checks steels and provides SR support, and it also does a much better job of checking fairies that can take advantage of Draco than Heatran does due to the increased incentive to run its Steel-type STAB unlike Heatran and Heatran's susceptibility to Diamond Storm as well as it being outpaced and nailed with Focus Blast by Garde both pre- and post-mega (not to mention that pre-mega cockblocks it if it comes in against it thanks to Trace).

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC 3/3 wow! it make me so happy to see how you have grown during write this analysis
you have sail new ships and learn new thing. to you i (tokyo tom) say, congratulation!

(de-slashed surf from the 4th slot, changed wording in usage tips)

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Surf / Hidden Power Fire

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest STAB move and deals incredible damage to even resisted targets that resist it. Psychic is the preferred secondary STAB move, (AC) as it has good neutral coverage, notably 2HKOing Bold Clefable and having a favorable chance against Calm variants. It's also Latio's Latios's most reliable option as it does not lower its Special Attack two stages, unlike Draco Meteor. Psyshock is an alternative to have a chance to 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes (RC) while still being able to 2HKO Calm Clefable. Surf provides great coverage alongside Latios's STAB moves, hitting key targets such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire is an alternative to OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as heavily chip away at Jirachi. Trick lets Latios cripple defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Chansey. If Trick isn't necessary, (AC) then extra coverage can be used over it in order to give Latios a better matchup against more balance-inclined teams. Sleep Talk also gets a mention for being able enabling Latios to switch into Breloom and Amoonguss's Spore (RC) while being able to maintain its offensive presence.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread plus a Timid nature maximizes Latios's offensive capabilities while taking advantage of its excellent Speed tier. Choice Specs turns Latios into a powerhouse that punches holes versus just about any team.

Usage Tips
========

This set is best played as a hit-and-run (AH) wallbreaker, using its set of resistances to switch in and proceeding to obliterate the opposition with either Draco Meteor or Psychic depending on the situation of its STAB attacks. (optional) If necessary, Latios can serve as a switch-in (AH) to Pokemon such as Keldeo or and Mega Charizard Y by virtue of its typing. Due to a lack of recovery, however, Latios should be played more carefully with what it switches into, as it can find itself getting pressured by the aforementioned threats very easily. As such, Latios should generally be brought in either through pivot support or on aggressive double switches. (RH) Be wary of using Psychic if the opponent has a Dark-type, particularly Tyranitar, as it can come in and trap Latios, eliminating it as threat. A similar scenario can happen with Draco Meteor if Fairy-types are present, as a wrong prediction ends up in a massive loss of momentum. Latios should use its coverage moves if the opponent's switch-in (AH) to a resisted hit is obvious. If running Trick, its it's typically best to use it against stall teams to cripple the likes of Chansey, Jirachi, or and Skarmory, making it much easier for teammates to break down the opposing team. Against more offensive teams, (AC) however, Latios should generally not use Trick, (AC) as losing the power boost from Choice Specs is fairly crucial detrimental.

Team Options
========

Due to the inherently offensive nature of Choice Specs and the absence of recovery, Latios tends to fit on very offensive teams that appreciate its wallbreaking capabilities and can regain tempo that may be lost by being locked into the wrong move. As a result of this, cleaners such as Mega Lopunny, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, or and Tornadus-T capitalize off of benefit most from Choice Specs Latios's wallbreaking proficiency. Landorus-T and Tornadus-T also provide a way for Latios to potentially switch in unscathed with their access to U-turn, which is very useful for this set due to its lack of recovery. Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Mega Heracross beat Dark-types with ease and are able to overwhelm shared checks, specifically Clefable. Keldeo in particular appreciates Latios's ability to soft check Electric-types, while Keldeo is capable of threatening Heatran in addition to the aforementioned Dark-types. Heatran provides Stealth Rock support and sports great synergy alongside Latios, as well as being able to handle opposing Steel-types while putting pressure on Clefable and Tyranitar with Taunt and Lava Plume burns, respectively. Other special attackers like Alakazam, Hydeigon Hydreigon, and Manaphy are able to overwhelm defensive threats, capitalizing on Latios's wallbreaking capabilities. Belly Drum Azumarill gets a special mention for being able to take advantage of Pursuit trappers that plague Latios, netting a free opportunity to set up and possibly sweep.

Last edited:

Sobi

Banned deucer.
Hi, amcheck. Snazzy colours today ^_^ add remove (comments)
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest STAB move and deals incredible damage to even targets that resist it. Psychic is the preferred secondary STAB move, as it has good neutral coverage, notably 2HKOing Bold Clefable and having a favorable chance against Calm variants. It's also Latios's most reliable option, (comma) as it does not lower its Special Attack like Draco Meteor. Psyshock is an alternative to have a chance to 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes while still being able to 2HKO Calm Clefable. Surf provides great coverage alongside Latios's STAB moves, hitting key targets such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire is an alternative to OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as heavily chip away at Jirachi. Trick lets Latios cripple defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Chansey. If Trick isn't necessary, extra coverage can be used over it in order to give Latios a better matchup against more balance-inclined teams. Sleep Talk also gets a mention for enabling Latios to switch into Breloom and Amoonguss's Spore while being able to maintain its offensive presence.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

This set is best played as a hit-and-run wallbreaker, using its set of resistances to switch in and proceeding proceed (imo using proceeding makes it read like two different ideas, [using its resistances to switch in] and [proceeding to obliterate the foe], but I think you're trying to say that it switches it then spams its STAB attacks so I think proceed works better here... if that makes sense 9.9) to obliterate the opposition with either of its STAB attacks. If necessary, Latios can serve as a switch-in to Pokemon such as Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y by virtue of its typing. Due to a lack of recovery, however, Latios should be played more carefully with what it switches into, as it can find itself getting pressured by the aforementioned threats very easily. As such, Latios should generally be brought in either through pivot support or on aggressive double switches. Be wary of using Psychic if the opponent has a Dark-type, particularly Tyranitar, as it can come in and trap Latios, eliminating it as threat (don't know what this means / doesn't make sense and sentence is fine without it). A similar scenario can happen with Draco Meteor if Fairy-types are present, as a wrong prediction ends up in (subjective but I prefer "results in a massive loss of momentum") a massive loss of momentum. Latios should use its coverage moves if the opponent's switch-in to a resisted hit is obvious. If running Trick, it's typically best to use it against stall teams to cripple the likes of Chansey, Jirachi, and Skarmory, making it much easier for teammates to break down the opposing team. Against more offensive teams, however, Latios should generally not use Trick, as losing the power boost from Choice Specs is fairly detrimental.

Team Options
========

Due to the inherently offensive nature of Choice Specs and the absence of recovery, Latios tends to fit on very offensive teams that appreciate its wallbreaking capabilities and can regain tempo that may be lost by being locked into the wrong move. As a result of this, cleaners such as Mega Lopunny, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Tornadus-T benefit most from Choice Specs Latios's wallbreaking proficiency. Landorus-T and Tornadus-T also provide a way for Latios to potentially switch in unscathed with their access to U-turn, which is very useful for this set due to its lack of recovery. Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Mega Heracross beat Dark-types with ease and are able to overwhelm shared checks, specifically Clefable. Keldeo in particular appreciates Latios's ability to soft check Electric-types, while Keldeo is capable of threatening Heatran in addition to the aforementioned Dark-types. Heatran provides Stealth Rock support, (AC) and sports great synergy alongside Latios, as well as being and is able to handle opposing Steel-types while putting pressure on Clefable and Tyranitar with Taunt and Lava Plume burns Tyranitar and Clefable with Lava Plume burns and Taunt, (optional but "Taunt burns" seems weird) respectively. Other special attackers like Alakazam, Hydreigon, and Manaphy are able to overwhelm defensive threats, capitalizing on Latios's wallbreaking capabilities. Belly Drum Azumarill gets a special mention for being able to take advantage of Pursuit trappers that plague Latios, netting a free opportunity to set up and possibly sweep.
Couldn't find much errors so hopefully I didn't make any overly subjective/unnecessary changes!

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hey astroboy
GP 2/2 weird colors @_@

comments are up to you
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Draco Meteor is Latios's strongest STAB move and deals incredible damage to even targets that resist it. Psychic is the preferred secondary STAB move, as it has good neutral coverage, notably 2HKOing Bold Clefable and having a favorable chance against Calm variants. It's also Latios's most reliable option, (comma) as it does not lower its Special Attack like Draco Meteor. Psyshock is an alternative to have a chance to 2HKO Chansey after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes while still being able to 2HKO Calm Clefable. Surf provides great coverage alongside Latios's STAB moves, hitting key targets such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire is an alternative to OHKO Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as heavily chip away at Jirachi. Trick lets Latios cripple defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and Chansey. If Trick isn't necessary, extra coverage can be used over it in order to give Latios a better matchup against more balance-inclined teams. Sleep Talk also gets a mention for enabling Latios to switch into Breloom's and Amoonguss's Spore while being able to maintain its offensive presence.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

This set is best played as a hit-and-run wallbreaker, using its set of resistances to switch in and proceeding proceed (imo using proceeding makes it read like two different ideas, [using its resistances to switch in] and [proceeding to obliterate the foe], but I think you're trying to say that it switches it then spams its STAB attacks so I think proceed works better here... if that makes sense 9.9) to obliterate the opposition with either of its STAB attacks. If necessary, Latios can serve as a switch-in to Pokemon such as Keldeo and Mega Charizard Y by virtue of its typing. Due to a lack of recovery, however, Latios should be played more carefully with what it switches into, as it can find itself getting pressured by the aforementioned threats very easily. As such, Latios should generally be brought in either through pivot support or on aggressive double switches. Be wary of using Psychic if the opponent has a Dark-type, particularly Tyranitar, as it can come in and trap Latios, eliminating it as threat (don't know what this means / doesn't make sense and sentence is fine without it) (he just forgot an "a"; it should say "eliminating it as a threat", which makes sense). A similar scenario can happen with Draco Meteor if Fairy-types are present, as a wrong prediction ends up in (subjective but I prefer "results in a massive loss of momentum") a massive loss of momentum. Latios should use its coverage moves if the opponent's switch-in to a resisted hit is obvious. If running Trick, it's typically best to use it against stall teams to cripple the likes of Chansey, Jirachi, and Skarmory, making it much easier for teammates to break down the opposing team. Against more offensive teams, however, Latios should generally not use Trick, as losing the power boost from Choice Specs is fairly detrimental.

Team Options
========

Due to the inherently offensive nature of Choice Specs and the absence of recovery, Latios tends to fit on very offensive teams that appreciate its wallbreaking capabilities and can regain tempo that may be lost by being locked into the wrong move. As a result of this, cleaners such as Mega Lopunny, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Tornadus-T benefit most from Choice Specs Latios's wallbreaking proficiency. Landorus-T and Tornadus-T also provide a way for Latios to potentially switch in unscathed with their access to U-turn, which is very useful for this set due to its lack of recovery. Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Mega Heracross beat Dark-types with ease and are able to overwhelm shared checks, specifically Clefable. Keldeo in particular appreciates Latios's ability to soft check Electric-types, while Keldeo is capable of threatening Heatran in addition to the aforementioned Dark-types. Heatran provides Stealth Rock support, (AC) and sports great synergy alongside Latios, as well as being and is able to handle opposing Steel-types while putting pressure on Clefable and Tyranitar with Taunt and Lava Plume burns Tyranitar and Clefable with Lava Plume burns and Taunt, (optional but "Taunt burns" seems weird) respectively. Other special attackers like Alakazam, Hydreigon, and Manaphy are able to overwhelm defensive threats, capitalizing on Latios's wallbreaking capabilities. Belly Drum Azumarill gets a special mention for being able to take advantage of Pursuit trappers that plague Latios, netting a free opportunity to set up and possibly sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)