Overwatch - Brigitte used FLAIL!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys can I feed the support ults, Zarya charge, and DPS kills? What do you mean I'm not doing well I have gold damage and silver elems because I touched the person our tanks and DPS were touching. I'm helping our team instead of being a second tank. I'm carrying you guys

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey guys can I feed the support ults, Zarya charge, and DPS kills? What do you mean I'm not doing well I have gold damage and silver elems because I touched the person our tanks and DPS were touching. I'm helping our team instead of being a second tank. I'm carrying you guys

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
omg memes. joim hide tag pl0xxx ;o;

also I think I found a new joy for myself. Playing Mercy soloq in qp is more fun than expected !!! Also pretty cool when people thank you for heals and stuff it's nice :D I was playing like a couple games in a row and kept meeting the same few ppl lmao !!! it was fun. made like 3 new friends just by spamming mostly mercy on qp haha.

got added by a mercy main who got to s2 masters, s1 sr 78 rofl. we were using the same witch skin and gold gun too ! it was fun !! omgg flying around juking everything in the world is so dang fun. what's more when people occasionally make the effort to protect you too!! so cool. There was an enemy mccree potg where I basically rezzed the people he killed lolol then I wanted to help the hog would was low and omg he jumped between me and mccree, we both got flashbanged, but he didn't have enough hp to eat the fth for me. i didn't watch the kill cam till potg! it was so touching hahaha. he saved me by heal spamming me in a blizzard as ana in another game too.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My last days have been absolute shit.
First, Junkrat main in every god damn game. I mean like 10 Junkrat mains in a row. Needless to say most of those were lost. Then, I get a fucking Symmetra main on koth. With a Mercy friend, and someone picks Lúcio. Ok, another lost. Then I find another game, Ovewatch crashes, I rejoin and I'm suspended with 30 sr less. Fuck this game sometimes...

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright I think I should talk about the PTR global nerf to ult charge.

I think it's something worth testing, probably even the right direction. However, I definitely do not thing a flat 25% change is a right choice. Flat 25% runs into a lot of problems. Steam rolls becomes more extreme, and lasts longer since it takes the losing team a greater team to build and even off the ult disadvantage. It would affect a lot of ult and hero balances. Mercy's Rez would be pretty worthless. Symmetra Teleport probably even more so, though rework etc yeaaa. Graviton would take even longerrr, making combos even less likely. Whiffing ults become even worse now. Lesser ults doesn't necessarily make ults have less influence on the game. Let's say your support dies before the ult fight, your team dies to ults, then the reactive support ults are basically worthless for the most part and longer time, barring insane plays from the other team. There are a couple of points that nerfing ults probably aim to address.
  • More spectator friendly to make OW a better eSport
  • Less emphasis on ult fights
  • Encouraging more skirmish fights
It's a huge tossup as to whether or not it decreases how much ults influence the game. A global ult charge nerf can sway the thing both ways. The last point is pretty complicated. Because map balance, hero balance etc are tied to how ults work in the game. You often need to build ults on attack / payload maps on offense to break through the point unless you win the first fight (unlikely). This could screw map balance, turning it to favor offense/defense more depending on map and portion of map. Different ults have different level of impact, and different heroes have their kits skewed towards their ult different. eg Mercy is only good because Rez is good. McCree is good even without / with less ult. Genji while having an okay non ult kit, really excels at quick picks to build ult for chaining kills. Zarya's ult is basically free set up. etc etc. Basically, a flat change to rate would indirectly make some heroes inherently better or worse. Basically they really need to alter ults individually rather than a flat thing.

Alternatively, what I'd like better is to lower the impact of ults depending on hero. e.g. reduced damage, duration etc. Like let Genji cast Dragonblade faster but cut it to like lol 3s 4s? Graviton last shorter? Sound Barrier gives less overheal? etc etc, but with same ult rate or slightly tweaked. Imo I think that would be better. But that not make it as spectator friendly as they want.

Anyway yea testing ult changes are good, but a flat global change is imo just misdirected and has plenty of repercussions.

sandshrewz

POTATO
http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749698219#post-1

They're already testing S3 on PTR. S2 ends like Nov24, S3 starts Dec 1.

Speaking of dates, I think that's roughly where we can expect Symmetra's rework to be completed. When is blizzcon / world cup again? Something something Sombra something. No idea when they'd slot Sombra into live. I think they'd progressively add changes from PTR to live if they're good and minor, like S76, Mercy changes. Probably PTR will be online all the way till S3, which is probably a long enough time for them to test the more major changes. With that they might push the major change of ult change for S3.

Oh and yea they did mention below average players placing above expected ranks. Nice to see some transparency on that and further affirms that gold-plat (at least) is really too variable in skill.

Hopefully S3 would be better! Also thoughts on lose / win streaks? I think lose streaks should have a smaller impact on rank than win streaks. By probability, lose streaks have a higher chance of occurring due to player tilt/team tilt, etc. It's really unlikely to go on a long win streak unless you're better than your rank or you keep getting carried by others, which by chance should be pretty rare. Just in general I think lose streaks just happen more often purely by chance rather than say this guy is below his rank, assuming that he wasn't over placed.

Don't think they said much about S3. Thoughts etc?

Idk i like the meta as it stands so I'm naturally wary of a lot of the PTR changes especially testing them all at the same time (even if over a longer period with stuff phasing in) but new stuff is coming so we gotta be robust against that.

I agree with shrewz on the global ult cost increase. I like the balance of impactful and faster charging ults.

Joim

Pixels matter
The SR calibration and changes seem great. I just want to play with people on my average level, not much worse, not much better. Close matches are the best, whether you lose or not. One sided stomps are never funny.

The global ult rate nerf definitely seems like something they were just throwing at the wall, hurts Zarya way too much in tandem with her damage nerf lol. And McCree still dgaf. Most of the other changes were pretty good though, Torbjorn and Soldier buffs are definitely good shit and D.Va needed that movespeed change in particular so badly.

The whole point of the nerf is to showcase mechanics more. The biggest complaint in the high ELO community/pro scene/spectator community is that the game is too ult focused. This aims to tone it down, and I'm a big fan.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I like the change too. Anything that makes ow more skill based is something good in my book.

That being said, after playing PTR for a while I definitely noticed the ult nerf mostly with zarya and lucio. I get them both super late and feels like I go 2 minutes without an ult sometimes lol. Genji on the other hand felt exactly the same, in fact I even completely forgot about the ult nerf when I first started PTR cuz I mostly played genji, until I tried other heroes and only then I remembered.

The mercy buff is underrated imo, if she jukes genji or tracer and goes around a corner she can start healing herself p much instantly and that felt really cool when I played her. I also think the overall ult nerf benefits her but I'm not so sure about this. Zarya getting ult later means Mercy can build ult faster and hide faster so she doesn't get wiped. coupled with her passive buff I think it increases her viability quite a bit, but we'll have to see.

Ana still feels good but idk about nano boost targets anymore. The typical targets of Rein and Reaper mostly benefit from the speed the most, at least more than dmg reduction/damage imo, so idk who'd be a viable target anymore besides genji ult.

Joim

Pixels matter
Genji ult, Pharah ult with a combo of earthshatter/blizzard/graviton. Still the better kit on the supports though.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
ptr dva is ridiculously op lol. movement speed changes were needed but the extra hp wasnt. She gets her mech back stupid fast and just doesnt die lol ive consistently been top in damage and eliminations in the games ive played with her with less than 5 deaths. She can literally carry now. On top of all this, they nerfed her main counters (zarya, mei) while buffing many of the things SHE can counter like torb, soldier, and widow. as it stands now ptr is pretty much full fledged dva meta lol.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was having a blast playing with Winston today, whom I've never really done any playtime with, he plays like a FPS Donkey Kong should.

Got a legendary in my level up and it ends up being Abominable Mei, ugh don't even use her.

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well. dropped from 2400 to 1900 and seem a bit stuck. I feel I'm playing the best I can, even doing things my team won't do, check flanks, not go main since it's easy to get picked and sometimes it works. other times it seems like my team well not follow any strategy and just stagger in, stay on the pay load (we got two picks let's get the rest, fuck), or simply just die.

I've given up on mic on console, either no one communicated or they're saying useless things (let's group up for this push).

I believe I'm at best in the 2500 group, I'm not fooling myself into diamond or master, but I'm honestly carrying as best I can but either we get two picks and I go in solo, since we can take that fight, and no one follows or my team gets wiped because "don't leave objective"

Last edited:

Joim

Pixels matter
You have to forget how you played at 2500 (which is another kind of hell for me), you have to adapt to the composition they chose and try hard to win every single 1v1 and protect your teammates from dying. There will be no positioning, so check where you'll be more valuable for the team and be there.

Matthew

You have to forget how you played at 2500 (which is another kind of hell for me), you have to adapt to the composition they chose and try hard to win every single 1v1 and protect your teammates from dying. There will be no positioning, so check where you'll be more valuable for the team and be there.
But they're so bad. I watched a Reaper get killed by a Mercy in close combat this evening forcing me back to 1800. Like console, sure it's less competitive than PC, but fuck. I get some picks on console are better (Phara) than PC but I'm with teams with actual children who don't speed boost with Lucio because, and I quote, "why do you guys need move faster?"

Fuck me.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
are you healing by chance? or playing some other kind of role that isnt very high impact? if you are, honestly competitive at that elo is not the place to do it. Its like giving rngesus the wheel and hoping for competent teammates. i'd recommend picking "carry" roles that arent too reliant on their team to be effective. The best picks are heroes with good self sustain and/or mobility, along with decent dps to frag themselves out of bad situations.

The bigest example of this is general dps heroes. Tracer and soldier especially have good ways of keeping themselves alive even without a coordinated team due to self heal and good mobility. despite having better damage than soldier, mccree kind of works if youre good at fragging your way out of awful situations but really appreciates the cover of a rein shield to stay alive, which isnt always there. reaper can do great damage while keeping himself alive with wraith form and by collecting souls. If youre a really good pharah that works too as at that elo most people cant aim. Genji can run through uncoordinated teams by picking the squishies and having good mobilty for running away. Mei can sort of force your team to focus fire a few targets that get trapped by your wall, can save seemingly lost team fights with her ult, has amazing 1v1 potential, and has her self heal. Roadhog punishes poor positioning, and can pretty easily get picks against bads and then you can tell your team to take advantage of the 6v5 scenario. Zarya can be good due to half her health being on regen, having a really good ult, taking advantage of junk (who has like 100% pickrate down there lol), being able to save stupid teammates, and having great dps. If you want to heal, ana is the best pick as a skilled ana can keep herself from being dove as easily as other healers with sleep dart, shut down ultimates, keep herself alive, do okay dps if needed, give clutch heals, and use her broken ult to win teamfights.

Just some suggestions for good things to play to get out of elo hell, hopefully this helps you out.

Joim

Pixels matter
Can confirm Pharah utterly destroys from low 2000s up to mid plat easily. No matter even if they even have zen+mccree, they can't aim.

Yo, anyone want to play with me in comp? I'm around rank 1900 like Matthew above and I can't get up because my teammates always end up being horrible.
PM me if you're interested, I'm in Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5)

sandshrewz

POTATO
So I decided to try out soloq pure support for a bit today, best idea ever as if hahahahaha. My party stack is pretty much a thing of the past so why not try a little soloq for the lols and see if it's any fun. I didn't quite expect myself to start off with some comp anxiety lol. Probably because I'm so used to parties that I have confidence in than putting my life on randoms >_> !! hahaha. Played mostly Mercy/Zen/Lucio and Ana once. rofl gosh Diamond/Plats can't kill monkey man! I was healing a McCree and he was fighting the Winston for so long and then he decided to roll the other way and put Winston between myself and the McCree like ??? Also didn't use flash bang against Winston. RIP me and he's like mercy wat?? lmao. Never trusting McCrees again man hahaha. I find more safety in trusting my own defensive DM.

Also woahhhhhhhh soloq is way messier than expected. Also not sure why I couldn't join the team chat fsr so :X I perform so much below my usual while playing soloq support man. Spending so much effort just to stay alive and I didn't even do what I was best at for the most part -- ult counting and ult management, also goes for cooldowns etc but w/evs. There's like no spare room to think when you're constantly on your toes kiting stuff as a support if you can't trust teammates or they're so weirdly without a front line that you really can't use teammates as meatshields. Feels so much like an entirely different game??? Oh my. Maybe I just need to get more used to not trusting teammates I guess. A huge part of my gameplay is missing from soloq omg it's sad.

I feel like I play so bad lmao. It's like autopiloting against flankers etc. I miss having the room to think in the midst of fights, and people who you can trust for protection and damage. ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD I walked off into the Illios Well as Lucio while backpedaling rofl. Shows how off form I was D:

Also yea Pharah is pretty good at plat cos ppl can't hit poop xD I stayed alive R2 of Hollywood Defense as Mercy cos Pharah gave me so much air time and LOL hiding at the roofs is so ridiculous McCree can't even shoot me there. Also Lucio seems like the easiest support to make a huge impact. I feel like no matter how well I play Mercy her opportunity cost is just so dam high that it's not worth it. And Mercy's Rez is pretty iffy when people tend to die randomly in soloq. Lucio just feels superior for the most part. And Pharmercy soloq isn't that easy to pull off cos Pharahs do weird thingssss.

Overall went 2-1, climbed by to Diamond by just a bit. IDK if I'll continue trying it out man *_* feels so uncomfortable I miss having insane coordination. Also yes I'm on board the train that Junkrat is the most poopest thing xD Most people don't even abuse his pretty insane mobility anyway and just spam choke. Also omg tanks just flying in at like half health D:

Anyway quite an eye opener for me for someone who barely ventured into the soloq scene.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
solo q has a bad rep imo. its really fun if everyone is in voice chat. you just have to treat them like babies and not let them tilt to something as small as losing 1st round of koth otherwise they start blaming whoever's name didn't come up on kill feed.

that being said i'd never trust team members enough to play main support for them besides ana lmao. unless i ABSOLUTELY have to play lucio and no one else wants to switch then I never do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)