Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Datamine + Full Game Leaks Collection (Read the OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
In an earlier post I confirmed that the pictures are from the dex as ledyba's sprite in the zip is a match of the dex get screen shown in the e3 footage
So I have no Idea why there is two spindas
I'd say it's just representing the fact that a Spinda's spot pattern is pretty much never the same twice.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, isn't odd that Spinda has 2 sprites for the Dex/Pokemon Center? Both have the same spot pattern and everything, and it doesn't have any Gender Differences, but...View attachment 72246
View attachment 72247
There they are, two separate sprites. Is it just GF showing ole' Spinz some wobbly love then?
Could maybe one be a placeholder they left in after deciding to replace with either one that shows more of Spinda or has more "character" to it?

I'd say it's just representing the fact that a Spinda's spot pattern is pretty much never the same twice.
I'd agree, if they didn't use the same pattern twice. I just find it interesting that it is getting this unique treatment, since it's not like Spinda is a huge fan favorite Mon or anything.
Could maybe one be a placeholder they left in after deciding to replace with either one that shows more of Spinda or has more "character" to it?
Maybe...still curious that Spinda's the only one. I was really just bringing attention to it because it hadn't been mentioned yet (as far as I've seen) on this thread.

Well, if they managed to get it to work with sprites on the GBA, and they managed to do it again with textured models in XY and ORAS, I'm sure they will find a solution with sprites here too...
ORAS also has a dex preview image, just like SM does. They've been through this rodeo already

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
How does the z move decide which move to base its power on if there is more than one applicable move? For instance, say I'm a noob and have both Electroball and Thunderbolt on my Ash-team Pikachu.

How does the z move decide which move to base its power on if there is more than one applicable move? For instance, say I'm a noob and have both Electroball and Thunderbolt on my Ash-team Pikachu.
Funny you should ask, those two electric moves are both in the demo. if you pick Electro Ball, the Z-Move does base damage at around 100 160 if I recall. Thunderbolt turns this into base 175. Just for kicks, you didn't ask but Nuzzle becomes physical at a base damage I don't remember. But essentially it sounds like there's a formula or a list of conversions so that each base move translates to a different BP. As stated above me, an option appears for over each different base move. Secondary effects don't seem to be a thing, i.e. no chance to paralyze in this case.

Last edited:
Funny you should ask, those two electric moves are both in the demo. if you pick Electro Ball, the Z-Move does base damage at around 100 if I recall. Thunderbolt turns this into base 175. Just for kicks, you didn't ask but Nuzzle becomes physical at a base damage I don't remember. But essentially it sounds like there's a formula or a list of conversions so that each base move translates to a different BP. As stated above me, an option appears for over each different base move. Secondary effects don't seem to be a thing, i.e. no chance to paralyze in this case.
Electro Ball is 160, actually, which is just a scant notch above its max Base Power of 150. That said, the chances you'll have for a max power Electro Ball without paralyzing something (and even that won't work very well, now that paralysis is nerfed) or setting up an Agility or two are next to non-existent, so it is a solid up-grade.

Something I am curious about is since moves like Gyro Ball and Electro Ball are dependent on the difference on your speed verse the opponent's speed. I wonder if when you activate a Z-Move and check the base power on your Z-Move Electro/Gyro Ball move you can determine your opponent's exact speed stat from knowing the base power from your speed dependent Z-move's base power.

I don't think the demo can answer this, but are z-moves affected by the base move's accuracy? Like, would a thunder z-move be 70% accurate?
i think it was determined they can not miss....unless the opponent is not on the field, judging by how Pulverizing Pancake hit no one in the battle royal on niconico

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something I am curious about is since moves like Gyro Ball and Electro Ball are dependent on the difference on your speed verse the opponent's speed. I wonder if when you activate a Z-Move and check the base power on your Z-Move Electro/Gyro Ball move you can determine your opponent's exact speed stat from knowing the base power from your speed dependent Z-move's base power.
The electro ball z-move has a fixed base power regardless of the speed, so no

Imho is comprehensible why they applied a fixated BP, but atm Z moves are much weaker than I expected. A 100BP Nuzzle would've been absolutely interesting, but a 100BP move without any secondary effect definitely isn't worth the item slot competitively. The same goes even for a mono-use 175BP thunderbolt, it looks better but it just isn't worth the item loss most of the time. As of now, I see Z moves as niche mechanic, especially for some coverage moves (or priorities, if they work) rather than a game-changing mechanic. We'll see.

Electro Ball is 160, actually, which is just a scant notch above its max Base Power of 150. That said, the chances you'll have for a max power Electro Ball without paralyzing something (and even that won't work very well, now that paralysis is nerfed) or setting up an Agility or two are next to non-existent, so it is a solid up-grade.
ah, it was nuzzle that's 100. makes more sense

ah, it was nuzzle that's 100. makes more sense
Imho is comprehensible why they applied a fixated BP, but atm Z moves are much weaker than I expected. A 100BP Nuzzle would've been absolutely interesting, but a 100BP move without any secondary effect definitely isn't worth the item slot competitively. The same goes even for a mono-use 175BP thunderbolt, it looks better but it just isn't worth the item loss most of the time. As of now, I see Z moves as niche mechanic, especially for some coverage moves (or priorities, if they work) rather than a game-changing mechanic. We'll see.
Yep. Too bad Z-Moves don't seem to retain the other properties of the moves they're upgraded from. Can you imagine a Base 100 Physical Electric move with guaranteed paralysis?

Still, since Gem boosted attacks were popular back in Gen 5 VGC, I can see Z-Moves getting some play. Especially off of Draco Meteor, as it would create a boosted strike that doesn't lower Sp. Attack.

I'd see Z-Moves fulfilling a similar niche to the Gems, yeah. One off super-powered attacks that would deal with big threats. They'll be pretty prominent in VGC, I'm pretty sure.

I agree that Z-moves are almost certainly not going to be as dominant as Megas were and will commonly be used to upgrade luring sets such as power-herb solarbeam Heatran. From what we know so far Z-moves add around 80BP to any offensive move (we don't know about status moves yet) and remove both the positive and (probably) negative side effects of the original attack. I can see Z-moves being popular on offensive pokemon who are able to cover the type chart without needing to use all their 4 attacks (e.g Rhyperior's near perfect rock-ground coverage). Assuming negative side effects are removed (which is more likely than not given what happens with nuzzle) then ultra-powerful attacks such as the elemental hyper beams, rock wrecker etc. become interesting options as they should be inflicting 230 BP damage not including stab. This power level approaches that of explosion without the side effect and could be useful for breaking though your opponent's conventional check or counter (e.g Skarmory in Rhyperior's case). At the moment the elemental hyper beams and powerful 2 turn moves such as freeze-shock are seen as jokes, but removing their side effects and being able to take advantage of their raw power could be enough to OHKO most pokemon, which in itself makes these joke moves worthwhile options. Criting Z-moves also look interesting and I'm definitely going to spam Laser focus, frenzy plant -> Bloom Doom ingame, which might actually be viable competitively...

Then of course their are signature Z-moves such as Pulverising Pancake for snorlax (which requires giga-impact to use) which are almost guaranteed to hit much harder than hyper sprint or have an extra special effect. Z-moves have plenty of potential as long as you link them with high power stab or coverage moves and not low-medium power attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)