Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can reply with all the smug sarcasm you want, but you're delusional if you think a couple of fake stories somehow change the narrative here. Trying to downplay the violent crimes that minorities are experiencing by saying that Clinton supporters are doing the same is a blatant false equivalence. You talk about evidence, but how is any of this not good enough?

I didnt downplay anything, you gave me what was likely fake stories with no verifiable proof. Obviously things change now as here you have some proof of hate, but thats extremists that dont represent trump in any way. Thats the equivelant of saying that since the KKK support trump, all trump supporters are KKK. I touched on this in an earlier post.

I'm Jewish, you idiot
I think you missed the point. The first part of my post was a quip, nothing more. If you read my posts after that, I actually agree with you that orthodox belief systems are usually pretty horrifying. I'm more intrigued by the fact that people seem willing to defend certain sects of Islam with the mighty shield of "Racist!" while at the same time attacking other religious groups.

And hold on just a second.

If a gay man can be homophobic and a black man can be racist, why can't a Jew be antisemetic?

Skitty

i dont care if i ever come down♪
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I'm calling this out. First, just cause you are gay and Puerto Rican, does not mean you aren't capable of being racist / sexist / whatever. Secondly, what has the "tolerant left" done that was full of hatred and vitriol to you? Did they call you a racist?

Story time. During the Ferguson incident, several people came into the scholastic room and spammed shit like "LOL CHIMP OUT" and "stupid N*ggers" and a room driver turned it into a serious discussion where he mentioned white privilege. You then reported the room driver for being racist against white people. So maybe if people are saying you are racist, its because you are the type of person that in a room of people spamming the N word you decided to report the person who mentioned white privilege for being racist against white people, in other words a disgusting racist. (this story was confirmed for my by a ps mod heavily involved in scholastic as well as someone who was upper staff at the time)

If you want to know what actual hatred and vitriol look like, read this. This hits really close to home for me because the woman this happened to is a good friend of someone I am decent friends with, on the campus of the University I went to, probably the most liberal area of a blue state. A group of Trump supporters harassing and assaulting a woman because of the color of her skin is what actual hatred and vitriol looks like, not someone calling you racist when, news flash, you kind of are. Oh, by the way, the cops showing up and handcuffing the minority woman walking by herself because the group of white men that just harassed her told the police she attacked them is the perfect example of white privilege that is apparently racist for me to even mention. But yeah it was definitely a logical conclusion by the police to assume that a lone woman with no criminal background decided to attack a group of men for shits and giggles.

You are exactly the type of person that Trump supporters are claiming doesn't represent them, so maybe do them a favor and stop posting.
Uhhhh, what the fuck are you talking about lol? The only thing I can think of that you could be talking about is when a room driver in the scholastic room was doing things like refusing to accept an article because the author was white, and even though the driver was repromoted a while later they were demoted for doing things like that. This also had nothing to do with the Furgeson riots and I wasn't in the room when people spammed racist things, nor do I remember it. Did you really just try to find a (irrelevant and false because you had no clue of the situation that went on)story that has nothing to do with this to say that I'm a racist? This is a new low, and it's ridiculously desperate.

And I'm not saying that my sexual orientation or ethnicity prevents me from being racist, so you can stop putting more words in my mouth.

Reactions: Ary
Actually I had the impression that providing evidence was not necessary since I'd only repeat what people have been writing the last 90 pages. You literally put me in a lose-lose situation by claiming the 'liberal media' only reports about anti-Trump-stuff and then you want me to prove the frequency of crimes committed by Trump supporters? (fwiw I was talking about my own personal perception after having followed news, I don't think there are stats about crime frequency but let me know if there are any).
Maybe I was unclear in my wording but what I actually meant was that there is always subtext behind what he says and you don't even have to interpret much to understand that he is in fact a racist, xenophobic etc. Of course he doesn't literally say he hates social minorities but what effect does it have when he says that he wants to build a wall on the border of Mexico? Why do you think he is not popular among social minorities?--His supporters get the impression that it is okay to feel supreme because of their political party, their skin color or whatever (example).
Again with your assumptions with no proof. You cant just label him a racist. How is it a '"FACT" that hes a racist xenophobe if he never explicitly said these things. When he says he wants to build a wall on the border of mexico to prevent illegal immigration from mexico, it actually says he cares about not having illegals. Is there a problem with not wanting illegal immigrants? He's probably not popular among social minorities, whatever those are, because they label him racist with no proof or competent explanations (similar to you). Perhaps they're illegal themselves, or perhaps they just don't like his policies. Very open ended question. Don't see how you can speak on behalf of all trump supporters either, especially since you presumably aren't one yourself.

Finally, I cant figure out what your "example" is trying to prove. A majority of people want Muslims banned from entering U.S.? Please elaborate.

#MakeAmericaBrownAgain

You know, sometimes we all have to just step back and try to see the perspectives of others.
For liberals: hope that the reason most Trump supporters voted for him because of the economy, not because they were racist. You can either be obstructionist like the Republicans were to Obama (which can happen if there is compromise), or you can choose to take the high ground and make the most of this situation.

For conservatives: realize that this election of Trump is very different for the Democrats than the election of Obama was for you. We still don't know what Trump's actual opinions are, and remember that people are afraid. Don't brush off their fears as false and don't call them stupid. No one ever changed their mind because they were called an idiot. Show that the racists are a minority and don't be sore winners.

And by the way, liberals shouldn't want Trump impeached. Pence is a far more conservative politician than Trump is. And just to remind conservatives that Trump is not very trust worthy (just ask the people in Atlantic City, or the people in Manhattan).

So in short: be more moderate, or else unification is going to be much harder to accomplish. Let's not attack each other for being racist, or being sore losers or winners, or for being entitled. There are checks and balances in the American government, there are still intelligent people in the government, this is not the end of the world. In fact, a Trump presidency may be a good thing, whether the economy benefits or if the politicians realize that the people are tired of the norm. If you still aren't convinced, well, 4 states legalized marijuana, and Maine now has ranked voting.

And don't be hypocrites, because Clinton supporters aren't angels, Bernie supporters aren't angels (he would have lost anyway, the increased white turn out he would have brought out wouldn't be as effective with the reduced black and latino turnout), and Trump supporters aren't angels.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There are many properly reviewed science papers that find out that white people have much higher iq than blacks and hispanics, together with other minor anthropological differences.

On the other hand, people who say either that all races are the same, or that race is a social construct, are either politicians or psychologists. Ie: Not anthropologists.

But that said, it is blatantly obvious that the most advanced countries are white countries, and that white countries have successfully colonized many other countries.
White people are also still responsible for most technological inventions nowadays.
That's why I want to know how you can actually prove that white people are not superior.

As a major in biology, I don't want to see politician's claims regarding to race.
I want real peer reviewed science papers.
And so far, the people who think that all races are the same, are incapable of presenting me with any of these.

The reason I'm so desperate at proving white people superior is because I believe that morals or politics shouldn't be used to silence proper science studies.
You know those papers are bullshit, right? First of all, IQ is a social construct itself. The measurement is flawed, it is also heavily influenced by solving the type of problems the western world deems important for intelligence. Also you are outright ignoring socioeconomical elements which will of course affect the average IQ of a country. I guess being a major in biology does not teach you that there are other factors that shape a person outside of biology...

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brain weight https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6893659
Race/ gender on intelligence http://pps.sagepub.com/content/2/2/194
Nature article on race and IQ. (Nature is one of the best biology magazines. It's very difficult to get published in Nature.) http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v457/n7231/full/457788a.html

On the other hand, WHO does have different BMI standards for different races.
Normal weight is 20~25 for white people, but 18.5~23.5 for Asians.
That's another minor thing.
doesn't your last article from nature basically disprove what you said? yes, white people of european decent score better on IQ tests, in large part because they're the target for the test. if your schooling system and access to educational resources is different (which i would presume it is around the world), the test isn't going to account for that. there's socioeconomic factors that affect the results of the test.

it's the same thing with the SAT test, if you want to just take america as an example. i went to a school with a lot of resources and had the money to buy test prep books and didn't need to have a job after school so i could take the time to study. i'm sure there's an african american girl in an inner city high school who is probably just as smart, if not smarter than me, who won't perform as well on the test because she doesn't have the money for a test prep book or because she can't devote the time to studying because she has to work or take care of siblings because her parents have to work odd hours.

also, brain weight is irrelevant to intelligence.

This sort of talk is like the last thing we need. If he actually becomes director of Homeland Security, and starts treating those who dissent Trump like terrorists, then this country might well enter into another civil war.

Obviously, I don't condone the injury of people and the destruction of property (hey fella, what did that car ever do to you?!). That's acting like savages.

I'm hoping for civilized conversations, understanding, and compromise between fellow progressives and conservatives. Guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

quote="Codraroll, post: 7073437, member: 113666"]What can there possibly be to blackmail Trump with after all he went through in the elections? It was shown that he had evaded taxes, declared bankruptcy, scammed people, neglected to pay workers, harassed women, mocked the disabled, mocked veterans, mocked the parents of a dead veteran, conspicuously refused to show any actual evidence for his wealth, courted racists and xenophobes, publicly and repeatedly encouraged war crimes, used a charitable foundation as a personal bank acount, and bragged about being able to get away with freaking assault. Among other things.

Any ordinary presidential campaign would have folded completely under just one of these scandals. But Trump just shrugged and went on, and his followers cheered. "He's evaded taxes for 18 years! Legally! That's pretty clever!" Of course, half the country despised him for those actions, but that didn't stop Trump. He just ignored it, let it blow over, and now he's about to pack down crates of incredibly gaudy furniture he can bring with him to the White House in January.

What could the Russians possibly have on Trump that he'd feel threatened by? Even if they published high-definition videos of him strangling a kindergartener with his bare hands, he'd use the occasion to mock people who said he had too small hands to do that. And there would be "trumpets" in the comments sections claiming it would all be fake anyway. Trump has proven to be immune to damning evidence and conspiracy theories, so I doubt a blackmail or two would make any difference.[/quote]

Yeah, unless it was visceral enough to anger enough people to try to drag him out of office kicking and screaming, you have a point. It'd have to be very bad, like treason bad!

Last edited:
What can there possibly be to blackmail Trump with after all he went through in the elections? It was shown that he had evaded taxes, declared bankruptcy, scammed people, neglected to pay workers, harassed women, mocked the disabled, mocked veterans, mocked the parents of a dead veteran, conspicuously refused to show any actual evidence for his wealth, courted racists and xenophobes, publicly and repeatedly encouraged war crimes, used a charitable foundation as a personal bank acount, and bragged about being able to get away with freaking assault. Among other things.

Any ordinary presidential campaign would have folded completely under just one of these scandals. But Trump just shrugged and went on, and his followers cheered. "He's evaded taxes for 18 years! Legally! That's pretty clever!" Of course, half the country despised him for those actions, but that didn't stop Trump. He just ignored it, let it blow over, and now he's about to pack down crates of incredibly gaudy furniture he can bring with him to the White House in January.

What could the Russians possibly have on Trump that he'd feel threatened by? Even if they published high-definition videos of him strangling a kindergartener with his bare hands, he'd use the occasion to mock people who said he had too small hands to do that. And there would be "trumpets" in the comments sections claiming it would all be fake anyway. Trump has proven to be immune to damning evidence and conspiracy theories, so I doubt a blackmail or two would make any difference.
Yeah, unless it was visceral enough to anger enough people to try to drag him out of office kicking and screaming, you have a point. It'd have to be very bad, like treason bad!
Maybe if--let's see, ANY other politician out there--had been willing to address the illegal immigration problem we have, we wouldn't have needed Trump!
But no.
Merely suggesting that I L L E G A L immigration is a problem was enough to be instantly labelled racist--and subsequently dismissed.

Thank you for your thought policing, y'all liberals played yourselves.
That's a good point. That's what happens when a party in power ignores an issue as a matter of policy. They feel ignored, marginalized and that those in power don't care about their well being. And then they get pissed, and try to find ways to get even if they continue to be ignored. I imagine it will be the same with progressives if their issues of importance are ignored (and it look like that is what we can count on from the Trump Administration).

And what's worse, tempers are flaring pretty quickly. Frankly, I fear the future right now.

This thread has taken the turn where I don't know anymore who is supporting what and what not and who im so confused too much tl;dr

Just get a grip guys, this is an endless circle you're going in.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
great non-sequitur attributing african poverty to genetics.

In actual news

Trump's appointees in consideration.
Rudy Giuliani for SC justice...
Newt Gingrich for.... something idk what the fuck that idiot can do
Sarah Palin for Environment
Ben Carson for Education
and donald trump jr. b/c fuck everyone who's ever had to work a day in their lives to reach where they are.....

hmmmmmmmmm gl guis....

also leaving this here.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Why are people trying to legitimize racism all of a sudden? it can't have any connection to who just became president...
Im not really trying to legitimize racism, I just want to know why white supremacy isn't main stream in America, but obviously main stream in most Asian countries.
I want people who take it seriously and argue against me properly, using scientific methods.

Trump's first true test as President-Elect is to address the protests in an effort to defuse the nation. After staying silent all last night, Trump tweeted the following tonight: "Just had a very open and successful presidential election," Trump tweeted. "Now professional protesters, incited by the media, are protesting. Very unfair!" This continues to prove he is detatched from the reality and seriousness of his situation, and that he still dabbles in conspiracy theories. This is not good.
Yeah, I think this country is headed towards hell. I told him this sort of rhetoric was divisive. Now people are more likely to refuse to recognize his status as President, since he doesn't seem interesting in representing them, only ruling them.

great non-sequitur attributing african poverty to genetics.

In actual news

Trump's appointees in consideration.
Rudy Giuliani for SC justice...
Newt Gingrich for.... something idk what the fuck that idiot can do
Sarah Palin for Environment
Ben Carson for Education
and donald trump jr. b/c fuck everyone who's ever had to work a day in their lives to reach where they are.....

hmmmmmmmmm gl guis....

also leaving this here.

I hope that doesn't mean that I think it means, (or it is CNN disinformation) hat says what I think it says, I think the best thing is for Progressives to move to Blue states, and said states to secede and form our own country. The alternative is civil war. Progressives won't tolerate this, especially after winning the popular vote. I will NOT be unilaterally dictated what is un-American!!! In fact, it sounds un-American in itself!

Once again the left proves to be COMPLETELY tone-deaf.

Those of us who voted Trump ARE DONE LISTENING TO YOUR SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS. We're done being told how to think, we're done being told how to speak, we're done being told what is and isn't acceptable by haughty, disconnected elitists who think anything that isn't a city is "fly-over country".

Every single time you try to talk down to us for being so stupid, you only fuel our fire.

But please do keep heaping fuel on that flame, I'd love to see two terms.

(As an aside. OF COURSE I hate the negative parts of Trump. He is petty, vindictive, hard to teach, unpredictable, arrogant, a liar, and anything but diplomatic. But who are YOU to tell me that I absolutely CANNOT vote for him, when your own candidate is ALSO so incredibly flawed and morally bankrupt?)
You're not the only ones who are frustrated. We are sick and tired of climate change not being addressed, and told it is a hoax like we're stupid! I don't like it when we are lumped together as "radicals" or called "communists"! We're tired of the wealthy getting off scot free while we for the most part are law abiding citizens, but get shafted. We're tired of institutional police brutality and injustice. We're tired of deregulations that Corporate America benefits from, while everyone else suffers! If I hear one more person say trickle down economics is good, or corporation are people, I'm liable to shoot someone!!!

And we're not going to take it anymore!!! If the Trump Administration isn't going to address the concerns of progressives, they can count on being a one term Administration. If they use force against us, they can count on us fighting back with a proportional amount of force. If they call us un-American, we'll just label them the same way, and refuse to recognize their authority. They need our consent, or their power means nothing to us, and if they try to force said authority on more than half the population, they violate their oaths, and commit treason. WE will decide what is good for us, not the Trump Administration. We are unruly, and can only be governed by consent. So you and your representatives had better watch their step, or we will reject them as you rejected Hillary.

You and others like you want to engage in meaningful conversation, and help solve each other's issues? That is what we need to do.

Sorry if this post was too hot in rhetoric, but that is how me and half the country feels right now.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I hope that the electoral college fucks with everyone and doesn't elect Trump. But I also hope that this royally pisses people off and causes enough of a shitstorm to get the electoral college abolished and to dismantle the DNC. It's an outcome where we can "fight against corruption in government" (the much lesser, but still evil) while not having to put up with a racist, fascist for president.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Obvious as it may be, our primary issue in this country (and in most diverse societies) is that everyone wants their voice to be heard and we all have different opinions and needs. What this leads to is a ton of advocacy (telling) and not enough inquisition (listening and attempting to understand others). Politics just ends up with people telling each other what's right or wrong without trying to fully understand the other's point or view. We are all victim to this to some extent. So I'm posting here not to argue, but to learn.

I am genuinely curious about something. Does anyone here believe Global Warming is a hoax? If so, why?

I promise not to tell you why I think you're wrong (though I cannot speak for anyone else who might post in response). I really just want to understand why.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Obvious as it may be, our primary issue in this country (and in most diverse societies) is that everyone wants their voice to be heard and we all have different opinions and needs. What this leads to is a ton of advocacy (telling) and not enough inquisition (listening and attempting to understand others). Politics just ends up with people telling each other what's right or wrong without trying to fully understand the other's point or view. We are all victim to this to some extent. So I'm posting here not to argue, but to learn.

I am genuinely curious about something. Does anyone here believe Global Warming is a hoax? If so, why?

I promise not to tell you why I think you're wrong (though I cannot speak for anyone else who might post in response). I really just want to understand why.
that's real nice of you and all but unlike politics or policy global warming is not a matter of opinion.

it's hardcore fact.

might as well ask why do you think that oxygen doesn't exist.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

I dont believe it is a hoax but it is possible that global climate change is not caused by human activity.
My current professor in environmental changes does not side with NGOs, and sometimes, he does make good points.
He believes that global climate change happens anyway without human influence, pretty much like how there was climate chane on Earth before and after ice age.
He also thinks that NGOs love to use scaremongering with the use of "could have", even with very little evidence.

I dont believe it is a hoax but it is possible that global climate change is not caused by human activity.
My current professor in environmental changes does not side with NGOs, and sometimes, he does make good points.
He believes that global climate change happens anyway without human influence, pretty much like how there was climate chane on Earth before and after ice age.
He also thinks that NGOs love to use scaremongering with the use of "could have", even with very little evidence.
It's a natural process sped up by human activity. Thought that was widely accepted.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Global warming isn't caused by humans insomuch as the Sun is constantly getting slightly bigger and in some millions of years will render the planet uninhabitable to us BUT Mars will be a perfect temperature however I think the year to year temperature increase is miniscule.

The rest is humans being stupid and needing to care more about the consequences what they do have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)