SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon In-Game Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Pokemon Sun In-Game Team.PNG

Here's what the squad's lookin' like. (If you couldn't tell, it's a Sun team.)

I decided to go with Primarina for my starter, since at EVERY evolution stage, this thing is my favorite of the 3 starters.
Vikavolt looks UNGODLY cool and did so from the beginning, so I decided to use it.
Lycanroc (Midday) also looks slick as HECK(MUCH better than that emo werewolf) so I put it in the squad.
A-Marowak is here 'cuz it looks awesome, and it helps the squad with Grass and Steel problemz.
A-Ninetales was put in also to help with grasses and other stuffs.
The last slot was originally Silvally, but I scrapped it for Salamence after finding out Silvally was Post game, and Sala is one of my FAVORITE Pokemon of all time, so DEFINITELY using him.
So, yeah. See ya in Alola! (EDIT: Beat my Sun version, so here's my retrospective thoughts on the squad as a whole.
Primarina: An ultra-reliable member, my gal Aquaria (yes, I SR'd for a female Popplio) was my first and overall most used member of the squad. (Also, this thing is SE against ALL FOUR KAHUNAS. I only won against Hapu due to using this thing's Oceanic Operetta.) 10/10 would recommend.
Vikavolt: My boy Thunderbug was a lot of fun to use, although HOLY CRAP does this thing evolve late. You don't get Vikavolt until after the battle with Hapu! But yeah. Would recommend even despite the steep evolution.
Lycanroc (Midday): I only have one thing to say. This thing levels up like a freaking madman.
Alolan Marowak: The last member of the squad for a REALLY darn long time, this thing was fun to burn stuff to the ground with, and Cursed Body was relatively useful and pulled its weight a lot of the time. Also, my boi Shaka Ulu is this team's False Swiper. Nice.
Salamence: HOLY FREAKING CRAP this was a pain to train up. I caught it as a Shelgon and it didn't see battle until around the end of the third island. It never really caught up to the rest of the squad level-wise, but once it could battle, hoo-boy it was awesome. My third fave Pokemon for a reason, people.
Alolan Ninetales: I actually caught my gal Snowdrop much earlier than expected at Tapu Village while training up Shelgon. My so-called dragon-killer due to its typing, I'm glad she was a Sun exclusive. Like Salamence, she never caught up to the rest of the fam level-wise, but it was her who beat Kukui in a rematch. Overall, good mon.)

Last edited:

So, yeah, significant changes from my last post. Decidueye, Vikavolt, and Minior I'm keeping for sure. As for the other two... Silvally's really been growing on me, and even though it's postgame, that's fine. I enjoy using a smaller team for the bulk of the game and then getting to play around with slightly more powerful stuff in the postgame. Hence Celesteela--- it's not on the level of, say, Solgaleo, but it's still big and shiny.

This is actually a Sun team. I'm doing a mutual benefits trade with another user to get Celesteela in exchange for Kartana, since they're version exclusives and both of us prefer the one that didn't come with our version.

I want to use Salazzle in my in-game team. What's the earliest Cute Charm Pokemon I can get so I won't have to search that long for a female Salandit?

The problem is... It switches out the moment its health drops below 50%... not at the end of the turn. A bit too much trouble to enable a mon to function if you ask me.

I'm going with a relatively slow team and no EXP Share since I wanted to give myself more of a challenge. I'll see how it goes.

Question about my team which is in my signture below. I have almost the entire team decided but my only issue is when do we get Zygarde 10% or if at all? If he is obtainable before endgame/post game then I'm good but if not then I'll need to replace him on the team!

Question about my team which is in my signture below. I have almost the entire team decided but my only issue is when do we get Zygarde 10% or if at all? If he is obtainable before endgame/post game then I'm good but if not then I'll need to replace him on the team!
3rd Island, after the Ghost-type Trial, I think. Fairly late in the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my team in Pokémon Moon at the moment. I'm about 60%-70% done with the story, I think.
The names are not nicknames. They are the German species names because I'm playing in German.

Silvarro @ Decidium Z
Level 44 Male
Overgrow
Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Spirit Shackle
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I wasn't sure whether to pick the owl or the cat, but in the end the owl won. I'm not going to miss the opportunity to have a Ghost-type starter for the first time, since it is my favourite type. This thing is pretty fun so far and I have enjoyed using it.
SRing for an Adamant owl took forever, but I don't regret anything. :P

Lusardin @ Leftovers
Level 44 Male
Schooling
Rash Nature
- Scald
- Bulldoze
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

While its Ability and HP + Speed stat might be terrible for competitive play, in-game this thing is an absolute monster. It doesn't die and it shows no mercy. This thing is power.
Catching one with a useful mixed nature took some time though...

Choreogel @ Amulet Coin
Level 43 Female
Dancer
Modest Nature
- Revelation Dance [Electric]
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Roost

This is easily my favourite team member. I frequently change its style to keep things fresh and be prepared.
I completely lucked out with catching a Modest one with a very useful Hidden Power, otherwise it would have been a Flying-type mono attacker for most of the game.
This way it actually had coverage along the way and became a complete beast once it learned its signature move, Revelation Dance.
I love this bird and can't wait to finally get to use the Ghost-type style.

Tectass @ Silver Powder
Level 38 Male
Emergency Exit
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Brick Break
- Rock Tomb
- First Impression

This is one of the monsters that I definitely wanted to use on my first run because it is the most badass Generation VII design without competition. It was pretty much useless as a Wimpod, but has become another powerhouse once it evolved. Luckily SRing for an Adamant one did not take long.
The Ability can be very annoying though. Meh...

Sankabuh @ Eviolite
Level 38 Female
Water Compaction
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Hypnosis

By the time I got to catch this, I luckily had a Modest Synchronizer so it was not hard at all. This is another design that I really like from Generation VII and I can't wait until it finally evolves and starts to pull its weight. It is pretty underwhelming at the moment.

*Mobai* @ Hard Stone
Level 20 Male
Sturdy
Rash Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Low Kick
- Feint Attack
- Mimic

I did not intend for Bonsly to become a team member, but then I encountered a random shiny while trying to farm Lucky Eggs. This is my first Generation VII shiny and it will be on this team for that reason. =)

Last edited:

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I have this rule where my ingame team must incorporate at least one Pokemon of each generation onto my team (the only time this didnt apply was BW1). However gen 7 doesnt allow for this so I decided that if the Pokemon pre-evo is from another gen, then I can use it. This causes my teambuilding to become very limited & this gen's regional Pokedex doesnt help it. If only Alola forms extended to Pokemon past gen 1.

Incineroar - Best starter in Alola.
Raichu-A - Wanted an Alola form & Raichu fit in.
Whiscash - Needed a Water type incase Surf is needed.
Trevanant - Best gen 6 mon to fit on my team.
Weavile - Sneasel is gen 2 & good enough just incase I play in the day when marathoning.
Braviary - I need someone to Fly & Braviary allows that.

This team is pretty weak to Rock but Whiscash can tank them so its all good. If I get Sun then I'll keep Braviary. Moon gives me Archeops tho so if I get that then I'll use him instead.

Whiscash - Needed a Water type incase Surf is needed.
Braviary - I need someone to Fly & Braviary allows that.
You know doc, Ride pokemon have been introduced and they replace HMs so you don't need to use Surf and Fly for their out of battle effects anymore, so you can get rid of your braviary and replace it with a different mon, then you wouldn't be so weak to rocks

Last edited:

After hours of making sure the typings syngergized with each other, this is what I have come up with for my Moon team. Granted, it's still a work in progress, but this is the first definite iteration of it.

Reasoning behind every choice:
Primarina: I would have gone with Decidueye, but Dhelmise had the same typing, and this is the other starter I was considering.
Metagross: One of my favorite Pokémon of all time. I would have Mega Evolved it, but apparently Mega Stones are only available for purchase in the Battle Tower, and idk how far into the game I would encounter it.
Dhelmise: Triple STAB is cool.
Minior: Look at it. LOOK AT IT. Does that look like the face of mercy to you?
Alolan Muk: I wanted to have an Alolan Pokémon on my team, and Muk seemed the most appealing to me. Only one weakness and Poison Touch Knock Off seem pretty solid to me.
Gigalith: Another Pokémon I've always liked, having Sand Stream as a new ability pretty much seals the deal for me.

I hope that at least one of these Pokémon, other than Metagross, becomes a key competitor in OU.

Okay, so, this is what I came up with for Moon. Usually I'm not too picky when it comes to in-game teams but with this gen I wanted to try out the new toys.

I tried having it kind of equal between physical and special attackers, although I know Minior can kind of fill both roles.

Why I picked who I picked:

Primarina: aesthetic - also Water/Fairy is a really nice typing.

A-Raichu: Raichu is my favorite Pokemon - and this one's somehow cuter that the original.

Salazzle: Where my girls at? But also because it's fairly strong and fairly fast.

Bewear: I was in love with Bewear as soon as I saw it. But it's also decently strong! I don't mind the Fire weakness from Fluffy so much as I appreciate the halving of contact moves.

Tsareena: See: Salazzle - a pretty solid Grass type with a not that barren movepool. Also she's pretty :)

Minior: It's cute! And also apparently busted as all getout, but that's not really important for an in-game team. I hope I get a blue one!

This sounds like fun so here I go, I only use new pokemon (including alolan forms), so it was kind of hard to balance, but I think I've got it

Decidueye: I was on the Rowlet ship since day 1, and I must say that as soon as I saw the typing being changed for the final evo... I was 1000% sold, the speed is underwhelming, but that movepool looks nice enough

Salazzle: when I saw Salandit... it was a dream come true, I've always wanted a Fire/Poison... it's kind of a bad typing but it just worked for me... Salazzle stats are nothing to laugh at, that speed will come in handy.

Minior: when I first saw it... I wasn't impressed, I liked the design but expected it to be useless, the typing was cool, and I'd loved if it had an evolution... that didn't happen but oh boy... it's kind of a discount Aegislash, the stats are nice, and the movepool looks quite fun

Kommo-o: Jagmo-o didn't impress me, specially because of those lame abilities... but when it got fighting type backing it up... I wanted one, it's a pseudo legendary so it'll be good anyway... not much to say about it

Oranguru: So... I needed coverage, normal and psychic are always good to have, so this was just a nice fit, rather than a premeditated choice, stats wise it's good, the design is ok and the movepool is nice... it'll probably be replaced by an UB after the main game though

Alolan Sandlash: I really wanted to use Alolan Golem... but I hate to repeat types... I just can't stand it, sandslash sounded like a good deal with that typing (it I'll be good ingame, awful in comp) and that design... I'm open to suggestions for this slot, since it was supposedto be used on Tapu Fini before I discovered it was an endgame mon, then I tought of Golisopod... but that damn ability kept me from adding it... I'm ok with sandslash, but if you have a better idea, let me know.

Attachments

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon

I plan on using these guys just because I love their design. I haven't looked into spoilers or anything yet so much awaits me on my journey through both Sun and Moon. I can't wait to get started

So I realized that Vikavolt basically needs Move Relearner and TMs to get a good Special moveset, since it evolves so late in the game that you'll miss out on all the levelup moves. Then someone posted in the TM Location thread that Thunderbolt is only obtainable in the postgame, and I realized that if the Move Relearner or Heart Scales are difficult to access, it could be really difficult to make Vikavolt usable in-game.

I searched through Reddit's questions thread, and found someone else asking where the Move Relearner and Heart Scales are. The response was that the Move Relearner is located at the League, and Heart Scales can't be obtained en masse until the postgame. The first person was shocked and asked if that meant the Starters' signature moves are blocked until the postgame. They were told that apparently the Starters learn those moves as soon as they evolve, regardless of what level they are at; this is indicated by the move being displayed twice on their moveset at both Level 1 and Level 0.

I checked Vikavolt's moveset again. No good Special Moves learned after level 31. Only one good STAB TM, and it's found in the postgame.

I started panicking. Hell, am I going to have to find a replacement for Vikavolt? I couldn't believe it. Why would Gamefreak go to such lengths to make this Pokemon unusable? The Speed was already bad enough, but now its moves are locked until the postgame?!

Then I saw it.

L0 - Thunderbolt
L1 - Thunderbolt
I literally jumped out of my chair and raised both fists into the air. Salvation! My team survives! Looks like I get to use Vikavolt after all.

The first four have been set in stone before I even saw the stats, so I'm pretty comfortable with them. Glaring weakness to water isn't great, but I guess it could still be subject to change. tbh I'd kind of appreciate some help with the last two, since they aren't exactly optimal.

Decidueye: Easily the most aesthetically, and thematically, pleasing of all the starters this time around. Plus, I haven't used grass in a while so why not?
Lycanroc-Day: Guaranteed a spot ever since I saw Rockruff. Crazy speed and decent attack cemented it, and I'm curious to see how well a priority rock move fares.
Salazzle: Guaranteed a spot ever since I saw Salandit, pretty much. Neat ability and cool overall design, (though I think I'll need to see Salazzle's in-game animation before I can judge it) it's gonna be fun to mess around with for a while.
Mimikyu: The unique typing and adorable design cemented it since day one, even despite the ghost type overlap on this team. Free turn to SD is gonna come in handy too, this thing's stats are WAY better than imagined.
Pelipper: Not the biggest fan of this one, but I needed a ground immunity for Lycanrock and Salazzle's sake. Needed a water resist too, so here it is.
Krookodile: A little more okay with this. Electric immunity for Pelliper, but in general it's kind of there exclusively for that and psychic/ghost types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)